• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA uploading multiple tunes from Sonic Mania to YouTube

There will be at least a few shitty hot takes like this, you all better prepare yourself.

I've got the hot scoops on review quotes...

"The new drop dash feature attempts to bring Sonic up to Tails level by giving him a reason to actually be used. Unfortunately it's flawed in concept, the sudden burst of speed will far more likely send you careening off cliffs, into spikes and such other obstacles much like speed always does in these games.
As usual it's better to just use Tails and fly over obstacles, it's been over 25 years and they still can't get this right"

"Sonic is no stranger to nostalgia, it's all his poor fans have to cling onto at this point. To such a degree that half the content of this game consists of zones from previous games. The game presents itself as a celebration of the olden days (which weren't nearly as golden as you may remember) but when you're literally flipping assets from the 16 bit era it's less something to celebrate and more an admittance of defeat on the part of the developers."
"Sonic is unusual to control, unlike Mario his run is initially much more sluggish before booming into a barely controllable speed that makes reacting impossible. His jump lacks the depth of Mario, there's barely any levels compared to Mario, Sonic is not Mario, not Mario, not Mario NOTMARIOARRGGGGH!"

Sami+

Damn we Sonic fans are next level, didn't even have to wait for reviews to actually drop before throwing up the victim complex apparently

I've got the hot scoops on review quotes...
God this is killing me. It's too real.

I remember this low rent YouTube game review show back in the Wii era reviewing the VC releases, whining about no save functionality (ignoring that Wii had suspend play for Genesis games apparently) and concluding that they were right, Mario was always better. Like jeez guys, let it go.

jman2050

I'm fully expecting some passive-aggressive obstinate hot take that amounts to "Well actually Sonic Mania is kinda fun so I can't tear it apart like I wanted to, but this changes nothing cause the old games were still never good because reasons."

^we don't, it's just fun to mess around after so many years of crazy reviews for the series.
(I say this, then I see that Gamespot TF review, that one gets me, it gets me good)

Is it bad that I didn't realize they were fake until the 3rd one?
Looks like I've got a new career brewing!

We weathered Tropical Freeze reviews. We can take anything.

I was close to adding a final fourth quote of "is it really the game to save the WiiU Switch though?"

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
On the other side of the coin, I'm looking forward to all the Sonic fans who will be miffed that Mania doesn't scratch exactly the same itch as S3K/2/CD in one regard or another.

Nostalgia is a bitch.

Why do we care what other people think...who needs that validation??? This is a dream game come true.

Remember when the N-Sane Trilogy reminded reviewers and the general community that the original Crash Bandicoot games were great games, and silenced a lot of people who tried to claim that "Crash was never good"?

Ideally, it would be pretty nice for Mania to repeat the same effect for Sonic, who has arguably been through much worse than Crash has been. It's not like Mania doesn't have the potential to do so, given the E3 awards/nominations the game has received.

Remember when the N-Sane Trilogy reminded reviewers and the general community that the original Crash Bandicoot games were great games, and silenced a lot of people who tried to claim that "Crash was never good"?

Ideally, it would be pretty nice for Mania to repeat the same effect for Sonic, who has arguably been through much worse than Crash has been. It's not like Mania doesn't have the potential to do so, given the E3 awards/nominations the game has received.

Make Sonic great again?

Why do we care what other people think...who needs that validation??? This is a dream game come true.

Huh? I don't think anyone needs validation, but good reviews/reception help people who may be on the fence about buying the game. I like what I see, and I want more of the Mania style. I want this game to do well. Good reviews will help.

Thank you to everyone who posted regarding reviews. Guess August 14 it is then in terms of when we find out how Sonic Mania fares critically.

Expecting an ~85 Metacritic score though I'd love to see Sonic Mania smash 90.

Top Bottom