• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate GOP making tax credits more like... Obamacare

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/12/senate-obamacare-repeal-tax-credits-238290

"Senate Republicans are working on a potential breakthrough that could help push through an Obamacare repeal bill – by making insurance subsidies look a lot like Obamacare.

There’s growing support for the idea of pegging the tax credits in the House repeal bill to income and making aid more generous for poorer people. But those moves — while they may win consensus among Senate moderates — are unlikely to sit well with House conservatives."

I think the Senate version will be more reasonable a plan .. once they push it back to the House.. the House conservatives will be more inclined to approve even though they will hate parts of the new plan .. they will have to approve since they don't want to be labeled as the ones that stymied the repeal

To me this makes sense and I think the House just rammed a bill to score a quick political victory and appease the tea party reps.. knowing it's gonna come back much different but have more leverage when it happens

Well that's my take at least

they will have to approve since they don't want to be labeled as the ones that stymied the repeal
They don't care about this at all. They already killed the bill once, and trying to blame them failed. In fact, they were rewarded by it because the new bill had major changes to specifically target them! They have no reason to vote on a bill they don't like.

Schattenjäger;236871678 said:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/12/senate-obamacare-repeal-tax-credits-238290

"Senate Republicans are working on a potential breakthrough that could help push through an Obamacare repeal bill – by making insurance subsidies look a lot like Obamacare.

There’s growing support for the idea of pegging the tax credits in the House repeal bill to income and making aid more generous for poorer people. But those moves — while they may win consensus among Senate moderates — are unlikely to sit well with House conservatives."

I think the Senate version will be more reasonable a plan .. once they push it back to the House.. the House conservatives will be more inclined to approve even though they will hate parts of the new plan .. they will have to approve since they don't want to be labeled as the ones that stymied the repeal

To me this makes sense and I think the House just rammed a bill to score a quick political victory and appease the tea party reps.. knowing it's gonna come back much different but have more leverage when it happens

Well that's my take at least

So why are they "repealing" Obamacare again?

I trust Republicans will never be able to find something all the different factions can support. Hopefully this will be enough to delay a repeal until past 2018

Patryn

So why are they "repealing" Obamacare again?

To say they did.

Recall that Obamacare was a plan that was hatched by a conservative think tank, pushed as the Republican alternative to HillaryCare in the '90s and first implemented by a Republican governor.

Literally the only reason Republicans had to oppose it was that it was Obama who pushed for it.

numble

They don't care about this at all. They already killed the bill once, and trying to blame them failed. In fact, they were rewarded by it because the new bill had major changes to specifically target them! They have no reason to vote on a bill they don't like.

I don't think they will hate more tax cuts as much as you would think.

Do they even know who they are dealing with?

The freedom caucus hardliners literally refused to vote until they could push "raped women don't deserve health insurance" type of shit on the bill

I'm not going to say this isn't going to pass, but if their assumption is that it won't because the FC is too afraid to be responsible for it failing they are wrong

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Do they even know who they are dealing with?

The freedom caucus hardliners literally refused to vote until they could push "raped women don't deserve health insurance" type of shit on the bill

I'm not going to say this isn't going to pass, but if their assumption is that it won't because the FC is too afraid to be responsible for it failing they are wrong
Yea but at that point what's worse in their eyes?

A - blocking it and not passing anything at all after all the lengthy proceedings
B - passing something

Barzul

In a way I don't mind if the income threshold for Obamacare coverage was lowered. What I really care about is essential health benefits, lifetime limits not coming back and someone to incentivize insurance buy in by healthy people. he individual mandate did this. I've not heard any reasonable alternative from the GOP on how to do this (if there is one). If there are not enough healthy people in these exchanges, we will see the flaws in Obamacare at a much faster rate. Unless that waiver stuff remains in the final bill and all you'll see will be POS catastrophic plans.

Schattenjäger;236873325 said:
Yea but at that point what's worse in their eyes?

A - blocking it and not passing anything at all after all the lengthy proceedings
B - passing something
Passing something that conflicts with their ideology

If it's really a repackaged Obamacare without the name they will vote against it. They want all mandates and subsidies gone and insurance companies to have the ability to do what they want

They need to have clear victories or things they can sell that they got rid off. The senate needs to send them a bill that does that in order to get it through

So they can get credit for passing it.

I'll also be surprised if the Freedom Caucasus goes along with something like this.

It would make my day if they say no to the Senate plan and mess with Trump again. There was concessions made just to get the Freedom Caucus on board, I can't see them co-signing a plan that would be more moderate than the original House repeal/place bill.

3rdman

Wait a sec...do we know whether or not this was pass through under reconciliation or will they need 60 votes?

Steejee

Wait a sec...do we know whether or not this was pass through under reconciliation or will they need 60 votes?

CBO is set to release scoring on the bill the House passed next week (two+ weeks after it was passed), so don't know if that one can go via reconciliation yet; I'm guessing it'll squeak by on the deficit reduction amounts, but it's DoA in the Senate either way.

Senate hasn't actually finished putting together a bill yet, so it rather much depends on how bipartisan the bill they settle on is. If they work with the Democrats on an 'improve the ACA' bill, they might be able to swing 60, even if that means what they pass probably can't get through the house.

I think a lot of the Senate GOP would rather pass nothing at all then get something passed by reconciliation anyways - they've seen how constituents have reacted to the House AHCA passage and don't want to be in the same boat. Plus as senators they're not as much at risk for being primaried due to representing the state rather than a specific district.

numble

They will not seek 60 votes. In numerical terms it obviously will not add to the deficit because it is repealing government expenditures. The old CBO score on the prior version of AHCA said as much.

CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the legislation would reduce federal deficits by $337 billion over the 2017-2026 period.

For the non-budget items that would appear to violate the Byrd rule, it is up to a Senator to object to the provision and for Mike Pence to rule on whether a provision should be considered removed.

Top Bottom