• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate health-care draft repeals Obamacare taxes, bigger subsidies for low-income

This is confusing as fuck (probably on purpose). So it doesn't look as a huge change to the people who are actually getting benefits of Obamacare as long as you live in Blue state... Correct?

This is confusing as fuck (probably on purpose). So it doesn't look as a huge change to the people who are actually getting benefits of Obamacare as long as you live in Blue state... Correct?

For the most part, other than the gutting of Medicaid. But even then, it won't hurt blue states as much as red.

For the most part, other than the gutting of Medicaid. But even then, it won't hurt blue states as much as red.

I wonder what the catch is... Sure, this might not bite them in the ass in 2018 but by 2020 the Red states sure will start feeling this. I guess Republicans don't give a shit as long as they keep winning elections.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Tovarisc

Obama going in on this.
DC8x2dDUQAAmGOw.jpg
DC8x2dGUIAAYiDt.jpg
DC8x2deW0AABPKm.jpg
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/877975484096806916

I was looking at the trending tag for this on Twitter and it's completely filled with people cheering this on. I just...I can't handle it. There's no getting through to these people. No empathy, they genuinely think everyone who can't afford healthcare are just lazy moochers. They will follow Trump into the void. We truly are all fucked.

Edit: Like...there's one guy I ran across who flat out said 'You have the right to guns, not healthcare.'. I just...I can't. These people love death, I guess.

mnannola

Everytime I read the words "States option" in anything related to healthcare I just assume the absolute worst living in Texas.

If the minimum coverage allowed under this law would only cover 20 percent of your band-aids cost, Texas would sign the fuck up for it.

Sulik2

I wonder what the catch is... Sure, this might not bite them in the ass in 2018 but by 2020 the Red states sure will start feeling this. I guess Republicans don't give a shit as long as they keep winning elections.

The goal of the GOP IMHO is to win in 2018 and spend the next two years changing the voter laws so much that there is no possible way for the Dems to get a majority again. So you make Trumpcare not start killing people until after 2018 and by 2020 it doesn't matter they can't vote you out.

Apologies for reposting this from my comment in the PoliGAF thread, but i think it helps illustrate how bad this bill is: anecdotally a friend who works at a health care network in my city is tentatively estimating 10,000 of their patients alone are going to lose health insurance by the end of the year as a result of this bill. Shit is going to hit home hard and fast, and create a lot of desperate people here.

THE:MILKMAN

every time I talk with co-workers who have family in Germany and other places it's the same thing "it takes forever to see a doctor, they aren't as good. etc, etc" they have no answers to my argument of costs just that doctors are more "thorough" here, whatever that means. it boggles the mind that we have come to accept this.

Keep at them as you are doing good work.

Without insurance? You'd be bankrupt
With insurance? You'd still have a lot of medical bills but could probably deal with it albeit over a long span of time if you're able to work

It amazes me that a whole nation find it acceptable to have a multi year/lifelong debt in addition to the very high insurance premiums payed in lots of cases.

Because people are fucking misinformed idiots that play team sports with the lives of their families.

To quote Trump....Sad!

It is especially bad because it very likely is beyond the point of no return as far as real change to a single payer system is concerned.

Ri'Orius

The bill will have a mandate. Remember what they bitched about endlessly?

https://www.vox.com/2017/6/24/15867614/senate-health-waiting-period

So at the end of the day, the GOP's "repeal and replace" is basically just cut taxes, reduce Medicaid funding, and a one-year defund of PP?

They're going to throw half the deck chairs overboard, rearrange the other half, slap an (R) on the damn thing and tell their constituents they've fixed everything. And said constituents will fall for it.

So at the end of the day, the GOP's "repeal and replace" is basically just cut taxes, reduce Medicaid funding, and a one-year defund of PP?

They're going to throw half the deck chairs overboard, rearrange the other half, slap an (R) on the damn thing and tell their constituents they've fixed everything. And said constituents will fall for it.
Let's be clear, the GOP never had an ideological objection to Obamacare, they just hated that the Democrats would get credit for it.

If McCain had won in 08 he could have passed the same damn thing with 80 Senate votes.

That being said, this bill will still screw everyone over should it pass. Gutting the subsidies and Medicaid is still a huge problem. They're leaving the framework of the Affordable Care Act intact while removing everything that makes it tenable.

Let's be clear, the GOP never had an ideological objection to Obamacare, they just hated that the Democrats would get credit for it.

If McCain had won in 08 he could have passed the same damn thing with 80 Senate votes.

That being said, this bill will still screw everyone over should it pass. Gutting the subsidies and Medicaid is still a huge problem. They're leaving the framework of the Affordable Care Act intact while removing everything that makes it tenable.

Exactly. I'm not seeing how this actually solves the problems with the ACA, rather than actually just making it more unstable.

So let me guess I'll still be without insurance (Florida don't qualify for medicade or through employer and Obamacare subsidies so I'd have to fork out $1k a month) and my mother's premium will go through the roof due to them stripping out large amount of subsidies which will cause her to have to now pay a penalty for not having insurance? Fuck this.

RPGCrazied

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 1h1 hour ago

I cannot imagine that these very fine Republican Senators would allow the American people to suffer a broken ObamaCare any longer!

So lets give American's something worse. Sounds like a sound plan! /s

So, they're going to fuck over the poor by taking away subsidies and such and still penalize them for not buying the shittiest, lowest tier health care they can afford?
This was not supposed to be the way insurance works. Insurance is, you're 20 years old, you just graduated from college, and you start paying $15 a month for the rest of your life and by the time you're 70, and you really need it, you're still paying the same amount and that's really insurance.
every time I talk with co-workers who have family in Germany and other places it's the same thing "it takes forever to see a doctor, they aren't as good. etc, etc" they have no answers to my argument of costs just that doctors are more "thorough" here, whatever that means. it boggles the mind that we have come to accept this.
It means patients are afraid they have cancer or Ebola in addition to a stubbed toe, so they demand extraneous tests and doctors are afraid their patients will turn out to have had cancer or Ebola in addition to a stubbed toe and will be sued for not finding it, so they order the tests.

So if you miss a payment because you're broke from the crazy expensive insurance you have to wait six months to get it again while also paying the mandate that you probably cannot afford since you couldn't afford the insurance to begin with?....

Sobriquet

So if you miss a payment because you're broke from the crazy expensive insurance you have to wait six months to get it again while also paying the mandate that you probably cannot afford since you couldn't afford the insurance to begin with?....

Yeah man. Pretty cool, right?

Bleepey

It's kind of admirable how the GOP are getting themselves in a bend to be as punitive as possible to discourage free riding as well as prevent adverse selection where the young don't buy healthcare. But every solution they offer is worst than the obvious answer, a fucking mandate. Cretins. The lot of them. But they probably know that, they just refuse to admit Obama was right.

Top Bottom