• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2018 NPD (Software), Spiderman Breaks many records....

thelastword

Banned
Software chart

NPD tracks physical sales at retailers, but it also gets digital data directly from publishers. But not every company participates. For example, Nintendo doesn’t share its first-party sales, and Activision Blizzard does not provide its Battle.net sales.

These charts are sorted by dollar sales — not number of units sold.

1. Marvel’s Spider-Man
  2. NBA 2K19
  3. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
  4. FIFA 19**
  5. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  6. Madden NFL 19**
  7. Forza Horizon 4
  8. Destiny 2**
  9. Super Mario Party*
  10. NHL 19
  11. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
  12. WWE 2K19
  13. Grand Theft Auto V
  14. Mario Kart 8
  15. Naruto To Boruto: Shinobi Striker
  16. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  17. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  18. Super Mario Odyssey*
  19. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  20. Minecraft**

*Does not include digital sales.
*Does not include PC digital sales.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man is the obvious standout success from September. Despite launching exclusively for PlayStation 4, it outperformed every other new multiplatform release for the month. It has also a top-chartered from a historical perspective.

“Marvel’s Spider-Man, the best-selling game of September, achieved the highest launch month dollar sales for any PlayStation exclusive in history, and is the seventh largest launch ever achieved by any game on any PlayStation platform,” said Piscatella. “Marvel’s Spider-Man generated higher dollars sales in its launch than any other game this year and currently ranks as the third best-selling game of 2018, and the No. 8 best-selling game over the last 12 months.”

Spider-Man’s web has tangled with video games from the beginning, but this one stands apart from that pack. It turns out that giving a team like Insomniac the time and budget to build a dream version of a beloved character is a sound investment.

“Marvel’s Spider-Man achieved launch month sales 37 percent higher than the combined launch month sales of all other Spider-Man games released since The NPD Group began tracking in 1995,” said Piscatella.

Hardware Rankings

1.) PS4
2.) Switch
3.) XBOX-ONE

All the info and more at...https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/23/september-2018-npd/.

Last edited:
A little concerning not to see Valkyria Chronicles 4 in here at all. Maybe it didn't make that big of an impact at the tail end of the month of September.

Calibos

80 million consoles + Marvel’s most popular hero and boom...records broken. Good for Insomniac and good for gamers to have hero games of this caliber to play.

A.Romero

Insomniac got what they deserved. Once again is proven that there is demand for SP games in the current market and that licensed games can be successful if supported by a talented team, appropriate budget and development time.

I wonder if it still have legs...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Very HAPPY to see DQXI but very bummed out not seeing VC4 on that list. It's basically 2008 all over again, it has great reviews but it's severely overlooked.

Last edited:

Three

Big drop for GTA. Seems like the timing of RDR2 could not be better for them.
The big drop for GTA around this time is normal because it's the window for a lot of new releases. GTA then goes back up in other months with fewer new releases. GTAV has not slowed down.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Very HAPPY to see DQXI but very bummed out not seeing VC4 on that list. It's basically 2008 all over again, it has great reviews but it's severely overlooked.

I'm not really surprised. Its a niche series. They released it on many systems and still couldn't chart so.....I'm not sure they'll be doing the same set up for the next game (if they even make a next game tbh)

"Forza Horizon 4 has the biggest launch for an Xbox racing game:
Forza Horizon 4 achieved the highest launch month dollar sales in Forza franchise history, and is the biggest launch for a racing game on any Xbox platform in history. Forza Horizon 4 was the seventh best-selling game of September. "

Honestly quite impressive, it had to beat out not just older forza titles, but every need for speed title on xbox ever too. In an age where racing games aren't nearly as popular as they used to be.

"Forza Horizon 4 has the biggest launch for an Xbox racing game:
Forza Horizon 4 achieved the highest launch month dollar sales in Forza franchise history, and is the biggest launch for a racing game on any Xbox platform in history. Forza Horizon 4 was the seventh best-selling game of September. "

Honestly quite impressive, it had to beat out not just older forza titles, but every need for speed title on xbox ever too. In an age where racing games aren't nearly as popular as they used to be.
On any Xbox not only Xbox One.
So it also beat the Need for Speed heydays and anything else.

NahaNago

I'm kinda surprised that tomb raider charted so high considering we just had that sale controversy. Spiderman beating all of those big name multiplatform games is a bit shocking as well. An exlcusive beating a mulitplatform game isn't rare it's just not usually at this time of the year. Maybe digital sales for some of these third party games would have changed its placement.

thelastword

Banned
If you earned at least one trophy, you can't delete that game list from the trophy list. That's how trophy list deletion works.
Watch this be the next thing to rag about.......Crossplay (uhmm with other parties not named Nintendo)? check, Name Change? check.....Delete my trophies is going to be the next complaint point?

Yet, surely, he can hide them can't he? Besides can't you limit who sees your trophies etc.......

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It's funny that after reading all summer that people were done with Sony and they would boycott all their games because of the Fortnite crossplay controversy, Sony still broke all kinds of records and they are #1.

demigod

Anyone have numbers for Forza Horizon 4? With the hype i would’ve thought it broke a mil, lol. I wonder if it even hit 500k or did gamepass eat into its lunch. Surprised Tomb Raider outsold it even tho thats multiplat. How many days was it even on the chart since it was released in October?

Well deserved. This is Insomniac's first actual commercial hit. Like EVER.

The PS2 R&C games sold ok but this is a different league.

Leonidas

Impressive showing in 2018 for the X, well deserved for one of the best consoles I've ever owned :lollipop_beaming_smiling:

The Xbox One is also doing well. Microsoft continues to generate more money from its hardware than it did in 2017.

“Xbox One hardware dollar sales in September grew more than 30 percent when compared to a year ago,” said Piscatella. “And are now up more than 60 percent year to date.”

And if you’re wondering if people are buying Xbox One S or Xbox One X systems, the answer is the latter. Xbox One X System 1TB Black is the best-selling Xbox bundle of the year. That’s for both units and dollars.

Seems power does matter if more people are buying the X bundle that is over 2x the price.

Pallas

Impressive showing in 2018 for the X, well deserved for one of the best consoles I've ever owned :lollipop_beaming_smiling:

Seems power does matter if more people are buying the X bundle that is over 2x the price.

I think that’s a very important detail if consumers are buying the more expensive model, it gives Microsoft options in the future if they are scared of a higher price point.

Congrats to insomniac for a good job on the Spider-Man game.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
NBA 2K19

The big annual basketball launch from 2K Games has once again deliver strong sales.

“NBA 2K19 debuts as the No. 2 best-selling game of September, and instantly becomes the fifth best-selling game of 2018,” said Piscatella. “NBA 2K19 achieved the highest launch month dollar sales of any sports genre game released since The NPD Group began tracking the industry in 1995. NBA 2K19 represents the biggest launch of any game in the NBA 2K franchise, and it is now the best-selling sports game of 2018 year to date.”

So yeah, it doesn’t seem like that franchise is slowing down at all.

---------

I think the above is very interesting and something people have been missing this entire gen.....2K games/Take Two.... is making a killing. EA is not even in the same league minus Fifa. If only these guys could make a football game (soccer) and an american football game too....So far, the 2k basketball games have been bringing in big checks for them, don't follow sports games all that much, but I do remember some fallback with 2k18 with microtransactions or some such and that still wasn't able to stop 2k19's momentum...The biggest sports games launch ever is huge, we're talking years of Madden here, which was a juggernaut when it released....and all other sports games too....Still, Spiderman was able to beat it on one platform.....which is bonkers...Very impressive stuff to both games btw....

nowhat

Gold Member
It's funny that after reading all summer that people were done with Sony and they would boycott all their games because of the Fortnite crossplay controversy, Sony still broke all kinds of records and they are #1.
The opinions you read here, no matter how vocal, represent in no way the average gamer/consumer.

thelastword

Banned
Hmmm, I think some people wanted a change of fortune for MS more than anything, they wanted it badly and perhaps thought the crossplay rage and Sony's E3 presentation format complaints would change the pace for MS, some even declared Sony has lost momentum......So overall, I imagine people just preferred playing fortnite without having a sub for plus, no paywalls necessary, and they were impressed with the quality of games Sony displayed, rather than how it was presented. I guess actual benefits to the gamer won out, and they voted with their wallets decisively....

Anyone have numbers for Forza Horizon 4? With the hype i would’ve thought it broke a mil, lol. I wonder if it even hit 500k or did gamepass eat into its lunch. Surprised Tomb Raider outsold it even tho thats multiplat. How many days was it even on the chart since it was released in October?
Well, it's the best debut for a Forza so far, but then Forza has never been a huge seller on the NPD, so beating the other games would not be a huge feat I imagine.....Actual numbers maybe hard to come by though, even Tomb Raider outsold it, and that game already has some big controversy surrounding it from day one buyers, who said TR got a 34% sale just weeks after...

The X did not outsell the Slim, it's only the best selling SKU out of the many SKU's between X and S, even more Sku's on the S btw...

Besides that, XBOX-ONE hardware is not doing as well as the competition, so we're talking the highest selling SKU on the worse selling platform...I imagine persons buying an XBONEX right now would prefer having a 1TB HDD, which makes sense because first party games tends to be huge on XBOX spacewise (Gears, Quantum Break, Forza, Halo 5 et al)...Overall, when you combine all sku's, the slim sold more.....Also, I gave a more detailed breakdown in the other thread.....Sometimes the wording from Mat is not all that precise and can confuse persons...

Ozrimandias

Yeah, Insomniac got it. A Solid SP experience.

But what really amaze me is.... GTAV, still strong in the charts. A game released in 2013. 5 Years ago.

Sure, its slowing down but....after 5 years

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
NBA 2K19

The big annual basketball launch from 2K Games has once again deliver strong sales.

“NBA 2K19 debuts as the No. 2 best-selling game of September, and instantly becomes the fifth best-selling game of 2018,” said Piscatella. “NBA 2K19 achieved the highest launch month dollar sales of any sports genre game released since The NPD Group began tracking the industry in 1995. NBA 2K19 represents the biggest launch of any game in the NBA 2K franchise, and it is now the best-selling sports game of 2018 year to date.”

So yeah, it doesn’t seem like that franchise is slowing down at all.

---------

I think the above is very interesting and something people have been missing this entire gen.....2K games/Take Two.... is making a killing. EA is not even in the same league minus Fifa. If only these guys could make a football game (soccer) and an american football game too....So far, the 2k basketball games have been bringing in big checks for them, don't follow sports games all that much, but I do remember some fallback with 2k18 with microtransactions or some such and that still wasn't able to stop 2k19's momentum...The biggest sports games launch ever is huge, we're talking years of Madden here, which was a juggernaut when it released....and all other sports games too....Still, Spiderman was able to beat it on one platform.....which is bonkers...Very impressive stuff to both games btw....

This also speaks to the super high popularity of the NBA as a sport. It's the fastest growing major sport in America over the last 2-3 years.

meirl

Banned
Meh. It’s not really saying anything and basically useless information, since

And

Nintendo doesn’t share its first-party sales, and Activision Blizzard does not provide its Battle.net sales.

According to the other thread the Xbox is getting buried regardless.

PS4: ~425K
NSW: ~260K
XB1: ~175K

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/september-npd.1467023/
Not sure if those numbers are valid though, it’s not verified by a mod right?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Meh. It’s not really saying anything and basically useless information, since

There is no asterisk on NBA or Spider-Man, meaning, it includes digital, PC, and physical sales combined...

And it still beat the multi-plat NBA2K, which is not slowing down anytime soon. That is still impressive.

Last edited:
Let's see the legs of Spiderman.
Some already think Spiderman could end in the Top 5 for the full year.
But those are reserved for
RDR2
BOIIII
NBA2K
Far Cry 5

I'm just not sure about the fifth game.
Could be either Madden, Battlefield or Fallout.

thelastword

Banned
This also speaks to the super high popularity of the NBA as a sport. It's the fastest growing major sport in America over the last 2-3 years.
Yeah, I remember growing up, basketball was extremely popular with Jordan, Pippen, Barkley, Ewing, Rodman, Motumbo, Greasy hair Nash et al....It kinda died down for a bit, but now with Lebron and Curry at the helm, things are just insane again....You're correct, perhaps it's the most popular the sport has ever been....

He acts surprise why its selling so much. I told you guys Spiderman would sell gangbusters. Spiderman is really huge, kids love it.
Ha, I remember some folks said Spiderman was a niche franchise, hence the meme "nicheman"......Nicheman sure taught them, and I think those 8 legs will certainly carry it past this month and sales will keep on moving at a web-slinging pace....

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People were expecting Valkyria Chronicles 4 to chart? I always thought it was a super niche title?
I love the series and VC4 was fantastic so I want to see it do well. Games like Persona 5, DQXI, Octopath and NieR Automata also can be considered “niche” as well but they manage to sell well.

Kreydo

I hope you get the chance to experience some of those games. There are some good products there.
It's by choice that I don't play AAA mainstream products. since I value a lot my gaming experience I only play RPG and Versus fighting.
There is not a single game in that Top 20 that got what i seek in games, not even Zelda BOTW... But I'm aware to be very selective, I'm fine with it.

thelastword

Banned
“Marvel’s Spider-Man, the best-selling game of September, achieved the highest launch month dollar sales for any PlayStation exclusive in history, and is the seventh largest launch ever achieved by any game on any PlayStation platform,”

This is an interesting stat, my real question is.....What are the top 6 largest launches on PS?........I'm thinking a GT is in there, maybe an MGS, a UC, maybe LOU1 or FF7, but it would be interesting to know........;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom