• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2018 NPD (Software), Spiderman Breaks many records....

I love the series and VC4 was fantastic so I want to see it do well. Games like Persona 5, DQXI, Octopath and NieR Automata also can be considered “niche” as well but they manage to sell well.

Yeah, that is true. Honestly, I want to see all Japanese games sell really well since I think alot of them are great and underrated. I really liked the Japanese VC4 demo, so it deserves good sales. I think VC4 at least charted on the UK chart so hopefully it will perform good worldwide.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mat Piscatella had some interesting thoughts about Spider-Man's big success:

He doesn't put a premium on the fact that the game is just really really good. He puts too much of a focus on the marketing and promotion side of things.

I think the big holiday games starting this month and Nov will cut Spider-man short and it will be front loaded.

This year is post returning rise COD. A bunch of big hyped games are "finally' coming out, and we have some new big budget hit or misses coming. It'll still sell well of course, but I think that this will be an outlier end of OCt/Nov., heck even December has some goodies.

but from the looks of it, it's done well to make up for that.

thelastword

Banned
I think the big holiday games starting this month and Nov will cut Spider-man short and it will be front loaded.

This year is post returning rise COD. A bunch of big hyped games are "finally' coming out, and we have some new big budget hit or misses coming. It'll still sell well of course, but I think that this will be an outlier end of OCt/Nov., heck even December has some goodies.

but from the looks of it, it's done well to make up for that.
If anything, Spiderman will get a boost for the holidays....Even games like GOW and Detroit will get a boost, now that they're 39.99, MLB The Show at $19.99 too....Spiderman might even pop up in December, since Spiderman into the Spiderverse is going to debut at cinemas, whilst Insomniac has more DLC coming for every month till year's end for the game...I think this Spiderman was well planned, well ochestrated and marketed...

Lol at the switch at number 2 good for them.looks like power really doesnt matter that much to the average gamer. Spiderman is well deserved if a studio needs to be bought right now its insomniac

If anything, Spiderman will get a boost for the holidays....Even games like GOW and Detroit will get a boost, now that they're 39.99, MLB The Show at $19.99 too....Spiderman might even pop up in December, since Spiderman into the Spiderverse is going to debut at cinemas, whilst Insomniac has more DLC coming for every month till year's end for the game...I think this Spiderman was well planned, well ochestrated and marketed...

I don't agree with this given how many high profile games are coming out. It's one of the most packed years covering different demographics. Maybe in Dec, but not Nov.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
“Marvel’s Spider-Man, the best-selling game of September, achieved the highest launch month dollar sales for any PlayStation exclusive in history, and is the seventh largest launch ever achieved by any game on any PlayStation platform,”

This is an interesting stat, my real question is.....What are the top 6 largest launches on PS?........I'm thinking a GT is in there, maybe an MGS, a UC, maybe LOU1 or FF7, but it would be interesting to know........;)

GTA3 I would wager.

thelastword

Banned
Lol at the switch at number 2 good for them.looks like power really doesnt matter that much to the average gamer. Spiderman is well deserved if a studio needs to be bought right now its insomniac
I think Sony approached them in the PS3 days or at least Ted Price said they don't want to be bought.....I think Spiderman may change that thinking though, their most successful games have been on PS platforms, but now Spiderman is the most successful game they have ever worked on by many light-years. They've tried other platforms to ho-hum reception and sales...So they know where their bread is buttered....

I don't agree with this given how many high profile games are coming out. It's one of the most packed years covering different demographics. Maybe in Dec, but not Nov.
Well I think Spiderman will chart in October....Obviously, Blackops, RDR 2 will be at the top next month, but Spiderman will still be up there behind them........BF will sell too when it debuts, Fallout 76 as well, but what else is there really, yet, there are many other slots in the NPD apart from slot 1 and 2.....Those games will come out and chart up-high obviously, but games like Spiderman will still keep on selling. I don't think these games affect the legs of Spiderman or Sony first party titles tbh....Especially for Spiderman, I don't see the fizzle yet, not this soon..

GTA3 I would wager.
Ahh, could be one, very likely....I heard Vice City and San Andreas sold a tonne too....There are so many possibilities..

Last edited:

Where is The Show being sold for 20 bucks? I’ll buy that today. I’m waiting for Detroit to get that low before buying it

thelastword

Banned
Last edited:
Ahh, the article I read about the permanent discounts "a few days ago" also mentioned the Show was on sale for $19.99, so you just missed it, that sale ended on the 24th,...Initially I thought it was a perm...

https://www.operationsports.com/mlb...99-through-september-24-on-playstation-store/

DAMN, bummer. The Word Series has me itching to play some Show again. Oh well.

Maybe I can shell out 40 for Detroit. I liked Heavy Rain but hated Beyond, so I am 50/50 on it.

Top Bottom