• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor deserves more attention. Come in and be hyped with me.

Arken2121

They had a solid showing at pax. Line was constantly capped. I had to wait in one line to get into the actual line! You had a developer next to you while you played giving you tips about the game. Over an hour wait to play it for 20 minutes and it was all worth it.

Seeing all the AI vs AI in that twitch stream, I'm such a sucker for that kind of thing in games. Really brings out the emergent nature.

you'll love it when i played it ..that was one of the most surprising things..just the world changes i wish more games did that it keeps the replay value utterly high.

This is definitely one of those games where I will wait for the reviews before deciding to purchase it or not.

The premise sounds incredibly promising and I do like what I have seen but there is something 'off' for me that I can not quite get my fingers on.

hwy_61

Banned
Dumb question, but would someone who never watched any of the LotR movies like this game? I'm genuinely interested in a new Monolith game.

I've always wanted a game where your killings had consequences in the world. Makes the game feel more reactive to you. Dishonored kind of did this where if you killed more, bad shit started appearing but it's definitely not as fully featured as here.

SJRB

Gold Member
Dumb question, but would someone who never watched any of the LotR movies like this game? I'm genuinely interested in a new Monolith game.

Sure. There is not much narrative connection since the game takes place before the movies.

A lot of the lore and background stuff might get lost on you, though.

Ramenman

In the twitch stream we can see that the story mission unlocks a new power (quite a core one actually since it's the "arrow teleport" that we see all the time).

I hope that the game makes it clear when a mission unlocks a new power, or just makes it mandatory before doing other things, because I don't want to kill 25 warchiefs instead of doing an available mission, to then realize when I finally do it that it gives me a power that would have made my past 10 hours of gameplay even more fun :p

I'm still wondering about how they mix the warchief stuff with the story missions.

Watch this twitch stream, and see if it does anything for you. It did for me, and I don't care about LOTR whatsoever. The combat options look hella fun, like the shadow strike where you can basically be Nightcrawler, the enemies having specific strengths and weaknesses, bow-and-arrow slow-mo where you can disable an enemy by a shot to the leg, the world continuing after you die, and all that nemesis chess stuff.

I could see me getting attached to all these colourful orcs that you can be promoting like Hell Hawk, Ratbag, The Cook, and that dude who's head is on fire (www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/570532139?t=1h37m30s)!

ibvC5IxkKRgpzq.png

Spineker

Banned
The one thing I am hoping from this game is "Middle Earth" becomes an established franchise in its own right which allows Monolith to explore other parts of Middle Earth in sequels. The wealth of content they have to draw from....The films, the books, all of it. It is just a staggering amount.

hwy_61

Banned
Watch this twitch stream, and see if it does anything for you. It did for me, and I don't care about LOTR whatsoever. The combat options look hella fun, like the shadow strike where you can basically be Nightcrawler, the enemies having specific strengths and weaknesses, bow-and-arrow slow-mo where you can disable an enemy by a shot to the leg, the world continuing after you die, and all that nemesis chess stuff.

I could see me getting attached to all these colourful orcs that you can be promoting like Hell Hawk, Ratbag, The Cook, and that dude who's head is on fire (www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/570532139?t=1h37m30s)!

ibvC5IxkKRgpzq.png

Thanks! I didn't know there were streams of this game out there.

Yoday

The one thing I am hoping from this game is "Middle Earth" becomes an established franchise in its own right which allows Monolith to explore other parts of Middle Earth in sequels. The wealth of content they have to draw from....The films, the books, all of it. It is just a staggering amount.
I agree, and Middle Earth being in the title probably means that is their plan. Remember, publishers don't really approve big budget games that aren't intended to be franchises anymore.

funo

You'll like the game regardless of your previous interest in the LOTR franchise, promise!
Almost everything that you need to know about the lore and the universe will be explained ingame.

Is the steam preloading available?

"Available" as in "will there be a steam preload before the game goes live?" or as in "has the preload already been enabled?"
If you were aiming at the latter, then it's a no. Nothing happening over here with my preorder.

I'm still wondering about how they mix the warchief stuff with the story missions.

They've mentioned that the Nemesis shenanigans are building up your chances against the three Black Captains that are at the centre of the revenge storyline. Best guess is that you need to control/dispose a certain number of war chiefs to unlock access to those Black Captains, similar to the way you need to perform tasks to make the chiefs themselves appear from their lairs. Maybe sowing chaos in the orc ranks also impacts the difficulty of those boss fights.

I do wonder if we're going up against Sauron at some point (obviously we won't be able to defeat him lorewise but the elven wraith does have unfinished business with the Dark Lord.)

Ramenman

They've mentioned that the Nemesis shenanigans are building up your chances against the three Black Captains that are at the centre of the revenge storyline. Best guess is that you need to control/dispose a certain number of war chiefs to unlock access to those Black Captains, similar to the way you need to perform tasks to make the chiefs themselves appear from their lairs. Maybe sowing chaos in the orc ranks also impacts the difficulty of those boss fights.

Yeah I think I heard them mention something like that, it just makes me wonder how the more linear missions (with lore characters like gollum and cut-scenes and all that) fit within the big picture of warchiefs and black captains.

It's a bit of an "in depth" question though so I'll just see when I play it I guess (not too long to wait now).

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So, is this a game that will come out of nowhere and change everything?

I like how the Monolith guys described it in one of the streams they did - that it's not a game that will change the world but just that they've got some cool systems in it which make things interesting and which they hope players will enjoy.

Pretty grounded answer, love Monolith :)

Hystzen

I do wonder if we're going up against Sauron at some point (obviously we won't be able to defeat him lorewise but the elven wraith does have unfinished business with the Dark Lord.)

Well last game to have fun with LOTR franchise Third Age had you fighting the all seeing eye at top of Barad Dur so it needs be amazingly crazy as that for me.

funo

Yeah I think I heard them mention something like that, it just makes me wonder how the more linear missions (with lore characters like gollum and cut-scenes and all that) fit within the big picture of warchiefs and black captains.

It's a bit of an "in depth" question though so I'll just see when I play it I guess (not too long to wait now).

All I can say at the moment is that the inclusion of the lore characters and their impact on the actualy gameplay 'make sense' – it's like the extra cherry on top for lore fans as well as some additional background information for people not that familiar with LOTR.

Seeing all the AI vs AI in that twitch stream, I'm such a sucker for that kind of thing in games. Really brings out the emergent nature.

Yeah, all the AI vs. AI fighting mixed with the Nemesis system looks like a really, really fun twist on these combat focused open world action/adventure titles.

And the more I see the nemesis system in action, the more I think about the incredible potential for army vs. army storylines with long, player driven backstories attached to it. It looks like the kind of system that can be used to create a Spartacus style slave uprising combined with Game of Thrones espionage, backstabbing, and power shifts that provide tangible game world results. I don't think it'll get that deep in the main storyline of this game, but I'd love to see either Monolith or some other dev design an entire dynamic narrative around it. Having 4 or 5 different factions/armies to toy around with (with tons of sub-groups) in a world reacting to the system, and having pieces constantly shuffling around, players rising and falling, allegiances being formed and broken, random battles all over the map.........Could be insane.

Valravn

Green landscapes in Mordor? I dont think thats true to canon. Mordor was always a barren wasteland. Or do we call this artistic freedom?
Edit: i correct myself. Nurn consists of fertile ground.

Green landscapes in Mordor? I dont think thats true to canon. Mordor was always a barren wasteland. Or do we call this artistic freedom?
Edit: i correct myself. Nurn consists of fertile ground.

Mordor has lots of fertile volcanic plains, particularly around Lake Núrnen where slaves tended the grain fields that fed Sauron's army. That's all from the canon. There are also areas where Mordor's human allies, such as the Easterlings, Haradrim and Variags gathered - although these aren't described in the books, presumably they are hospitable to mortal men or what's the point of the alliance?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Any good coupons or deals to be had for the PC version? Would love to test my incoming 970 on this game. =D

Spineker

Banned
Continuing on from my previous comment about potential sequels and new locations in Middle Earth, at least constructing Gondor and the Pelennor Fields will be easy as fuck for Monolith, nothing but flat ground for miles.....

I'm joking, Tolkien fans. I love LOTR, I promise :p

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
whens release date for us/eu? I have it preordered from UK shop but might get it digital from US store if it means playing it earlier

also, is nobody doing a OT?

Drewfonse

So both this and Forza Horizon are bucking the recent trend of not allowing reviews before release. The developers clearly know that they have good games on their hands, and I personally can't wait to play them both,.

Continuing on from my previous comment about potential sequels and new locations in Middle Earth, at least constructing Gondor and the Pelennor Fields will be easy as fuck for Monolith, nothing but flat ground for miles.....

To be fair, the design of the environments does seem to be the weaker link in the chain, but the stunning animation and character variation make up for it.

But that leaves something for the sequels (the ancient trees of Mirkwood, the hills of Arthedain, the Trollshaws or the dwarven ruins of Moria maybe...)

funo

I don't think this has been asked but, are the cutscenes in realtime or prerendered? Maybe no one knows, but, just asking!

Both. There's prerendered ones (intro and outro cinematics as well as 'special' storyline cutscenes) and also in-engine cutscenes all throughout the game.

Yeah, all the AI vs. AI fighting mixed with the Nemesis system looks like a really, really fun twist on these combat focused open world action/adventure titles.

And the more I see the nemesis system in action, the more I think about the incredible potential for army vs. army storylines with long, player driven backstories attached to it. It looks like the kind of system that can be used to create a Spartacus style slave uprising combined with Game of Thrones espionage, backstabbing, and power shifts that provide tangible game world results. I don't think it'll get that deep in the main storyline of this game, but I'd love to see either Monolith or some other dev design an entire dynamic narrative around it. Having 4 or 5 different factions/armies to toy around with (with tons of sub-groups) in a world reacting to the system, and having pieces constantly shuffling around, players rising and falling, allegiances being formed and broken, random battles all over the map.........Could be insane.

That's part of what really excites me about this game. At this point I think it's pretty likely to be a great game in and of itself, but it'll also show the industry that a gameworld that's autonomous of the player and can create emergent experiences can make for an interesting AAA game. After this game comes out, I'd love to see other devs run with these systems and expand on them, to make games like the one you described. I don't know if we'll see such a shift in the tastes of the industry, but a guy can hope.

lunchtoast

Anywhere to read up more on the nemesis system, I still don't understand all of it, mostly when they're in the menu selecting and drawing lines between other baddies. It just tells you what baddies you can kill, or if you brand them you can have those guys go after others? If you decide to kill them all do more take their place?

Anyone got any fun plans with the nemesis system? I'm really looking forward to trying out various things and see what gets a reaction.

I don't see myself ever chasing anyone down if they flee, much more fun letting them escape and grow in power and live to fight another day.

Much like some of you have already thought it will be fun letting our minions do the work themselves and just watching from a distance - there's no guarantee that a level 10 orc will beat a level 3 Orc because of the randomness of combat.

Top Bottom