• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaming Rapists in private Facebook groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
This is a bunch of bullshit.

The context could change to any accusation of criminal behavior and I would still say that people should not be taking the law into their own hands.

A lynch mob is taking the law into one's own hands. Organizing your friends to administer a beat down is taking the law into one's own hands. Posting on facebook is not.

kinda funky how many of you are against women speaking to other women in private. maybe step back and stop projecting yourself onto the alleged rapists.

False accusations suck but they're statistically very minor and ultimately less of a problem than the large numbers of rapes that are ignored. There's also literally nothing wrong with women in private (or frankly? in public either!) saying "hey this guy was a rapist/abusive/etc so maybe don't date him." Jesus Christ.

I think people are more concerns about
Ingram named him, tagging his username, in a later tweet.
Just to clear that up.

Or you know they care about both. It's pretty clear people that haven't been through being falsely accused of rape calling it minor etc.

See except I never said I didn't care about both too. I just said I care about one more than the other, because this is the real world and sometimes some problems are much worse than other problems

Just admit you care more about false rape allegations than women getting raped dude

Basically what you're saying without actually saying it

Sunster

kinda funky how many of you are against women speaking to other women in private. maybe step back and stop projecting yourself onto the alleged rapists.

False accusations suck but they're statistically very minor and ultimately less of a problem than the large numbers of rapes that are ignored. There's also literally nothing wrong with women in private (or frankly? in public either!) saying "hey this guy was a rapist/abusive/etc so maybe don't date him." Jesus Christ.

but it's scaryyyyyyyy. jk. if men have the power to rape basically any woman, women should at least have the power to.... call out their rapist? still shocked that this is such a frightening concept. are we all really afraid to be called rapists now? Like, I'd rather live with that worry of that than be afraid of being raped whenever I walk home at night.

KingV

Snarky❤;245290144 said:
Okay so what CURRENTLY happens in the real world is 97% of actual rapists go free, and the amount of rape allegations that are false is anywhere from 2% to 7%.

So again I'll say it . Can you please just say the words " I care more about the potential of a false rape allegation than the millions and millions of actual women getting raped and their rapists getting away with it"

Where is the line drawn?

What if we convict 50% of rapists, but 10% of those sentenced were actually innocent? Would that be ok? What if we convict 75% of rapists, but 50% of those convicted are innocent?

Saying that people can only care about one or the other is an oversimplification.

Both are problems. Having far more women come forward, and then 20% of the allegations being false reports (not just no conviction, but actually false) would probably do more harm than good in the long run.

I guess I would accept some higher number of false accusations, but if you set the system up where the false accusations are suffficiently high (no idea what that number is), THAT will start to become the story.

I also think it's a false choice. Your premise starts with a world where you have to have more false accusations to get more women to come forward. I'm not sure that that is definitely true.

I found your post to be exceedingly condescending. No, you shouldn't have insulted Nepenthe instead of tone-policing or mansplaining to her, you probably should just have STFU.

"You can still post, but" -- like okay thank you for your permission?!

Is what I was doing tone policing? I don't believe so as I understand how that term is used. I flat out told Nepenthe was wrong without trying to be a dick. What tone was I policing? How do you know I identify as a man?

"You can still post, but" is not the same as "don't stop posting". I was trying to be encouraging instead of discouraging Nepenthe.

And what exactly are you doing? Aren't you tone-policing me?

Snarky❤;245290666 said:
See except I never said I didn't care about both too. I just said I care about one more than the other, because this is the real world and sometimes some problems are much worse than other problems

Just admit you care more about false rape allegations than women getting raped dude

Did you miss where he said he was falsely accused?
Obviously he has a point of view shaped by that.

Beefy

Snarky❤;245290666 said:

Basically what you're saying without actually saying it

You have no idea what you are on about.

Did you miss where he said he was falsely accused?
Obviously he has a point of view shaped by that.

Also missed the line with me saying I was sexually abused as a kid as well.

The female Superintendent clearly stated in the article in the OP that it is. She is a lot more qualified to say what is vigilantism than either you or I are.

Okay first off, it says “some describe,” not the superintendent. There is no quote of her saying it is vigilantism, just a vague “some”. Second, that was about the public tweet, not the private Facebook group. Cmon man this is your OP

Machina

Banned
but it's scaryyyyyyyy. jk. if men have the power to rape basically any woman, women should at least have the power to.... call out their rapist? still shocked that this is such a frightening concept. are we all really afraid to be called rapists now?

In the social media age? Yes.

Accountability is dead in 2017

ApharmdX

Banned
Are those registries public?

Yes. They wouldn't be very useful if they weren't.

I'll take my chances with the 5% to 10% of wrongly accused vs. the 90% of guilty.

And, BTW - that woman was found out and she's going to go to jail now. Sometimes the system actually does work itself out.

When the system does let us down, it's still convicting 90% of the true rapists. I like that percentage vs. letting a rapist go free. Sucks for the wrongly accused, but they are a very small minority and justice is more important for the greater good.

In this case, the woman was ignored by the police. So fuck them and fuck the system's tenets.

She should shame him all fucking day, every fucking day.

Yes, the situation in the OP is terrible. And yes, the system failed that woman. But surely you can see the potential for misuse? Most of the time liars like in the recent Texas case (race-motivated as well!) walk free, and the falsely accused don't even get their good name cleared in all cases.

I admit, I don't know what the answer is, without changing the law. If these are private groups, that's better. People tell their therapists and support groups. So I can live with that. If it's widespread and public? No way.

Where is the line drawn?

What if we convict 50% of rapists, but 10% of those sentenced were actually innocent? Would that be ok? What if we convict 75% of rapists, but 50% of those convicted are innocent?

Saying that people can only care about one or the other is an oversimplification.

Both are problems. Having far more women come forward, and then 20% of the allegations being false reports (not just no conviction, but actually false) would probably do more harm than good in the long run.

I guess I would accept some higher number of false accusations, but if you set the system up where the false accusations are suffficiently high (no idea what that number is), THAT will start to become the story.

I also think it's a false choice. Your premise starts with a world where you have to have more false accusations to get more women to come forward. I'm not sure that that is definitely true.

You're the only one who determined that if women were allowed to freely accuse than the amount of false rape allegations would go up. I never said anything like that

superbeau

Neo Member
Snarky❤;245290507 said:
I think it's interesting and kind of funny how the Women in this thread and the men defending them are perfectly willing to admit that we care more about actual women getting raped than the potential of false rape allegations that are much much much rarer.

But for some reason all the guys on the other side are unable to admit that they care more about false rape allegations than women getting raped, even though that is literally the position they are defending

They're just being very rational. Logical. The system isn't perfect but it's all we have so when they, or their son are raped they will fall back on that logic and depend on that system to meter justice. And if in the face of blatant police misconduct that rapist is never convicted or even tried, they will fall back on the comfort of reason, accept that revenge isn't the answer, and never, ever publicly state the name of the person that raped them or their son or even type it in to a private Facebook chat. That's mob rule. I hope I can be as measured in my response as they will be.

Freshmire

Victims sharing their experiences because the legal system is designed to fail them to protect one another is not "mob justice."

Many posters on GAF seem to prefer that victims just stay silent and shut up even when the legal channels (as they often do) fail them. It's really troubling.

Yeah, this is about preventing other women being raped, not destroying someone's life.

Or you know they care about both. It's pretty interesting people that haven't been through being falsely accused of rape calling it minor etc.

That's the core flaw of Internet vigilantism. It instantly becomes a 'With Us Or Against Us' mentality that, at critical mass, overwhelms any moderate voices that are attempting to speak reasonably. Presumed innocence becomes a subject of derision with anyone speaking along those lines painted as a sympathizer to whatever the campaign is against.

It's no coincidence that it's taking place here: people who make those arguments in a discussion like this are the first to get bloodlust in vigilantism campaigns.

Beefy

That's the core flaw of Internet vigilantism. It instantly becomes a 'With Us Or Against Us' mentality that, at critical mass, overwhelms any moderate voices that are attempting to speak reasonably. Presumed innocence becomes a subject of derision with anyone speaking along those lines painted as a sympathizer to whatever the campaign is against.

I get it to a point. But people that think being falsely accused of rape is minor are mad. It nearly destroyed me being accused and having to go through what I did. Would I say it is worse then being sexually abused? No, they aren't on the same level. But both can end up ruining your life.

Nepenthe

I think you should step back for a second and think more carefully. Your posts are kind of out there. You're not helping your cause. Don't stop posting, but the direction you're going is very shaky.

My posts are in line with how society practically functions, which is that we choose to have systems we think will benefit the most people at any given time, even when we know they're imperfect and will let people slip through the cracks. It's constantly why I have asked people if they are okay with the abolishing of legal systems across the world because they have resulted in innocent people being jailed and killed, and although I haven't gotten an answer from anyone, the answer is obviously "no" because the benefits of the legal system outweigh the miniscule chance of any random individual being thrown in jail unjustly.

In this case, we have a woman who has gone to the legal system she knows full and well doesn't give that much of a damn about rape, from the rape kits that go untested to the lying police officers to the social stigma against sexually active women to the common narrative that women who get to court but are dismissed were lying instead of simply failing to achieve a proper burden of proof. Police said her medical records after the fact were destroyed. She basically has no legal recourse. The person who raped her is free to do it again, and who knows if the woman in question is the first victim?

Now, I've been a victim of really mild sexual assault. Plenty of other women on GAF have been victims of the same or worse. The law is not on our side. We have little recourse for making sure our abusers see justice. So what do we do to protect ourselves and others now? Like, right now? The answer men here have is effectively nothing, or to demand social change which helps the future and not the now. The answer women have is to let other women know to stay away from shitass men so said men are less likely to be in a position where they can take advantage of another woman. Praytell which one helps the women living now? And before you say that the latter solution can be privy to abuse, reread my first paragraph and understand I've personally made the decision that I would indeed risk the reputations of a few men if it means many, many more women are armed with the knowledge of who to avoid so we don't get raped as much.

This doesn't mean I like false accusations. I would never do it because I understand the burden this can have on a man's life, and in general I'm not a piece of shit. And going back to the legal system metaphor, I'm against the death penalty for this very reason- it doesn't do my conscious good to know that my government is killing people who could be innocent of crimes they were deemed to have committed by the state, especially when you get into the issue of black victims of a legal system that has been designed from every corner and crevice to work against us.

But I'm not about to say we should get rid of jails entirely because of it.

It's no coincidence that it's taking place here: people who make those arguments in a discussion like this are the first to get bloodlust in vigilantism campaigns.

Presuming that most women will probably lie about rape is totally OK though right

Machina

Banned
Snarky❤;245290909 said:
You're the only one who determined that if women were allowed to freely accuse than the amount of false rape allegations would go up. I never said anything like that

That is clearly what one side has been getting at this entire time. Slippery. Slope. Public shaming is not a common thing right now, but normalizing it would obviously increase the amount of false accusations.

Call me cynical, but you guys have way too much faith in the general good will of your fellow humans. Having said that, if we're seriously at a point where women have to look over their shoulders out of fear of every man that walks past them, or have to join a facebook group that weeds out both the actual wrongdoers and those that mayyyyybe might be a wrongdoer, we're in a much sorrier state than even I thought.

Media

Answer me this Gaf.

Say I was raped, and the cops did t believe me and never did anything about it, which happens in the majority of cases.

By the logic in this thread, it would then be awful of me to warn female friends are pull aside strangers the rapist is dating and warn them?

Sunster

Answer me this Gaf.

Say I was raped, and the cops did t believe me and never did anything about it, which happens in the majority of cases.

By the logic in this thread, it would then be awful of me to warn female friends are pull aside strangers the rapist is dating and warn them?

yes

They're just being very rational. Logical. The system isn't perfect but it's all we have so when they, or their son are raped they will fall back on that logic and depend on that system to meter justice. And if in the face of blatant police misconduct that rapist is never convicted or even tried, they will fall back on the comfort of reason, accept that revenge isn't the answer, and never, ever publicly state the name of the person that raped them or their son or even type it in to a private Facebook chat. That's mob rule. I hope I can be as measured in my response as they will be.
The system is shit and needs to change.
That doesn't mean it should just be ignored for an even shakier system of allowing people to publicly tweet rape accusations without any other measures.

My posts are in line with how society practically functions, which is that we choose to have systems we think will benefit the most people at any given time, even when we know they're imperfect and will let people slip through the cracks. It's constantly why I have asked people if they are okay with the abolishing of legal systems across the world because they have resulted in innocent people being jailed and killed, and although I haven't gotten an answer from anyone, the answer is obviously "no" because the benefits of the legal system outweigh the miniscule chance of any random individual being thrown in jail unjustly.

In this case, we have a woman who has gone to the legal system she knows full and well doesn't give that much of a damn about rape, from the rape kits that go untested to the lying police officers to the social stigma against sexually active women to the common narrative that women who get to court but are dismissed were lying instead of simply failing to achieve a proper burden of proof. Police said her medical records after the fact were destroyed. She basically has no legal recourse. The person who raped her is free to do it again, and who knows if the woman in question is the first victim?

Now, I've been a victim of really mild sexual assault. Plenty of other women on GAF have been victims of the same or worse. The law is not on our side. We have little recourse for making sure our abusers see justice. So what do we do to protect ourselves and others now? Like, right now? The answer men here have is effectively nothing, or to demand social change which helps the future and not the now. The answer women have is to let other women know to stay away from shitass men so said men are less likely to be in a position where they can take advantage of another woman. Praytell which one helps the women living now? And before you say that the latter solution can be privy to abuse, reread my first paragraph and understand I've personally made the decision that I would indeed risk the reputations of a few men if it means many, many more women are armed with the knowledge of who to avoid so we don't get raped as much.

This doesn't mean I like false accusations. I mean, hell, I'm against the death penalty for this very reason- it doesn't do my conscious good to know that my government is killing people who could be innocent of crimes they were deemed to have committed, especially when you get into the issue of black victims of a legal system that has been designed from every corner and crevice to work against us.

But I'm not about to say we should get rid of jails entirely because of it.

EXACTLY.

All of this.

Nepenthe

Answer me this Gaf.

Yes, and you would be a piece of shit for it, apparently.

Future

No different than defaming anyone on social media for any reason. At the heart it is problematic for false accusations, but somewhat unavoidable unless there are legal repercussions. Live's can be affected by social media, but often it happens due to posts from the user him/herself.

Answer me this Gaf.

This is exactly what they are saying. Also that you would be rightfully liable to be sued

iammeiam

It is not vigilantism to tell other people in your community that you were raped. They aren't putting on a fucking costume, attacking rapists and dragging them to a guillotine.

It's baffling to me that people want to pretend naming and shaming somebody who raped you is inappropriate vigilante activity. These women don't need a conviction to tell them they were for sure assaulted. They were there. They know what happened. Warning other women to avoid their attackers isn't vigilante action, it's preventing what happened to them happening to others.

That it's people are framing it as improper or trying to muddle it with the idea of false accusations is rage inducing. False allegations are a problem regardless of the channel they go through; this shouldn't require people telling the truth be silenced.

Like, if this were any other crime, people wouldn't be clutching their pearls over a public declaration. Nobody would want somebody linking to a guy who punched them on Twitter to keep it private. Publicly calling out somebody who scammed you on a trade or purchase is appreciated by the community. Rape, and from what I can tell only rape, triggers some weird double standard where top priority is the potentially falsely accused and everyone else should behave in a way to minimize the potential harm there.

False accusations are horrible and unacceptable regardless of medium; rape survivors shouldn't have to stay silent and potentially see their attacker move on to another victim just because somebody else might lie.

ApharmdX

Banned
Answer me this Gaf.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Pau

Framing the discussion about revenge also obscures that this is a tactic that victims use to protect other potential victims.

Tain

what kind of a fucking mark do you have to be to have so much faith in the system that you get upset about women talking about rapists in a private facebook group?

get the fuck out of here

It's baffling to me that people want to pretend naming and shaming somebody who raped you is inappropriate vigilante activity. These women don't need a conviction to tell them they were for sure assaulted. They were there. They know what happened. Warning other women to avoid their attackers isn't vigilante action, it's preventing what happened to them happening to others.

That it's people are framing it as improper or trying to muddle it with the idea of false accusations is rage inducing. False allegations are a problem regardless of the channel they go through; this shouldn't require people telling the truth be silenced.

Like, if this were any other crime, people wouldn't be clutching their pearls over a public declaration. Nobody would want somebody linking to a guy who punched them on Twitter to keep it private. Publicly calling out somebody who scammed you on a trade or purchase is appreciated by the community. Rape, and from what I can tell only rape, triggers some weird double standard where top priority is the potentially falsely accused and everyone else should behave in a way to minimize the potential harm there.

False accusations are horrible and unacceptable regardless of medium; rape survivors shouldn't have to stay silent and potentially see their attacker move on to another victim just because somebody else might lie.

The pug is right.

Beefy

The sad thing is we wouldn't be having this discussion if potential victims were treated right by the police etc.

Pau

The sad thing is we wouldn't be having this discussion if potential victims were treated right by the police etc.
Honestly, I think we would still be having it, considering how hard it is to convict a rapist even if the police don't lie about destroying evidence (or actually destroy it.)

The system is shit and needs to change.
That doesn't mean it should just be ignored for an even shakier system of allowing people to publicly tweet rape accusations without any other measures.

The people aren’t ignoring the system, the system is ignoring the people

Exactly this. No one would throw a fit if I tell my friends “I lent Jerry $100 and he never paid me back, don’t lend Jerry any money.” If someone was like “Whoa man, you can’t talk about that until Jerry has been tried and convicted by a court of law” I would think they were fucking insane.

Hell, forum example. The trading topics THRIVE on telling other people who to trust when sending money/physical goods and who not to trust.

KingV

Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t know that if I wanted to expand on an idea I had to literally gather every instance of something happening either for or against.

Those are very pertinent examples because they’re three very high profile people who you expect to get taken down by this stuff, give A) the attitudes around accusations in this thread being this life ending event, and B) in two of those email examples they weren’t just accusations, that shit actually happened. Why aren’t their lives destroyed right now? Because, generally speaking (which is code for looking at broad patterns not every conceivable example if you’re having issues following along) there AREN’T that many consequences for guys in these situations.

It’s three examples meant to counteract the hyperbolic attitudes coming from some people here. And one of them is very very relevant given he’s now the president of the United States. So much for the emotional trauma of being accused, the public flogging and social outcasting

This isn’t vigilantism, it’s people talking.

Your examples are irrelevant. Show me the statistics writ large and we can talk about how it does or does not affect common people.

I could also cherry pick stories of people falsely accused of rape that killed themselves (and then their parent commited suicide). They were already posted in this thread.

That also is not necessarily indicative of a larger trend.

Should I start picking examples of times that a woman found her rapist, he was accused, and convicted, and then say "See, the system always works?"

No, of course not. Because its just one singular example (or three).

Beefy

Honestly, I think we would still be having it, considering how hard it is to convict a rapist even if the police don't lie about destroying evidence (or actually destroy it.)

My abuser died before he served justice. I also wasn't offered any therapy etc afters, it's fucked up my life bad. No therapy etc after being accused and put through shit either. Both have ended up changing me for the worse.

Yes, it's very obvious that's the case.

Not sure why so many men are so terrified of the 1-7% false accusation report, instead of the 15% to 19% rape rate.

I'm not scared of false accusations, though they are something that should not be completely disregarded.
I don't think you should be able to publicly accuse someone of a crime if they cannot be found guilty of said crime.

The system fails rape victims on a daily basis and needs to be changed, but allowing this sort of action (tweeting allegations with the name in a situation where the law does not support the claim, for example) seems like a terrible band-aid fix to me.

Shredderi

I get it to a point. But people that think being falsely accused of rape is minor are mad. It nearly destroyed me being accused and having to go through what I did. Would I say it is worse then being sexually abused? No, they aren't on the same level. But both can end up ruining your life.

Analyzing the whole thing, I think this might be the reason for so much pushback from males. False claims of rape are rare and on larger scale pose a much, much lesser problem than the rampant rapes the world has going on, but from an individual's standpoint, a false rape claim that goes far enough will have absolutely devastating effects on the accused's life even if cleared later on. I think that image is what many men have in their minds when they think about this. They almost definitely know that the problems aren't similar in magnitude, but are aware of the potentially "your life is forfeit from now on"-tier damages a false claim can bring and are afraid of that.

Just an attempt to rationalize the thought process, not a stand or opinion of my own.

Media

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this.

But isn't it the same thing? Say I tell upwards of 50 friends and 10 strangers that I saw hanging out with my rapist, "Hey, be careful, this guy raped me."

I'd be a peice of shit right?

And if I shut up and said nothing, and he raped other people, thems the brakes? I shouldn't feel guilty for not warning folk?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Identifying your assailant isn't mob justice

False accusations are bad, and yes they should be dealt with. But we shouldn't impose speech limitations on victims because of that, the least likely scenario.

If victims are denied justice, it is especially egregious to additionally deny them their rights to communicate as other citizens do

KingV

Snarky❤;245290909 said:

Then what does this mean:

Are there any other biological males in this thread besides me who are willing to say that they are OK with taking the burden of the potential of false rape allegations if it means more women can get justice?

On the list of things I have to worry about a false rape allegation is extremely extremely extremely extremely low on the list

Taking your two quotes together I guess you are saying that you are willing to take on the exact same risk of false rape allegations that you take on today in order for more women to come forward and find justice?

Since you are advocating for giving up literally nothing from present day to achieve a positive outcome, then yes, I stand with you.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
No different than defaming anyone on social media for any reason. At the heart it is problematic for false accusations, but somewhat unavoidable unless there are legal repercussions. Live's can be affected by social media, but often it happens due to posts from the user him/herself.

I mean, no different if you completely ignore the context of the vast majority of actual rapists getting away with it, sure.

Jfc

Clockwork

Exactly this. No one would throw a fit if I tell my friends “I lent Jerry $100 and he never paid me back, don’t lend Jerry any money.” If someone was like “Whoa man, you can’t talk about that until Jerry has been tried and convicted by a court of law” I would they were fucking insane

In this thread I learned that accusing someone of not paying back borrowed money is the same as a rape accusation.

Royce McCutcheon

And before you say that the latter solution can be privy to abuse, reread my first paragraph and understand I've personally made the decision that I would indeed risk the reputations of a few men if it means many, many more women are armed with the knowledge of who to avoid so we don't get raped as much.

See as a black man that line of thought scares the hell out of me. More so when it lines up with

Black people serving time for sexual assault are three-and-a-half times more likely to be innocent than white defendants that have been convicted of sexual assault. The bulk of the racial disparities in sexual assault convictions can be explained by white victims who mistakenly identify black assailants, said Gross, particularly when the victim is a white woman and the offender is a black male.

You can't go all with stuff like this, this is coming from someone with Zero faith in the judicial system. There has to be a better alternative. 90% of rape victims know their abuser, I don't imagine telling friends in private would affect them, as they would likely know the abuser as well. But posting it on Facebook is sketchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom