• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 shatters Kickstarter Game records ; $2 million achieved in 8 hours

Nzyme32

Judging by its appearance at the E3 conference I am assuming Sony is footing some of the bill for the game as well. This is pure speculation though.

They are not - they even indicated as much before announcing it saying "this is very much their project, but we wanted to show it off on our stage". On top of that Sony are not listed as a sponsor at the end of the trailer with the others involved

Piers

It's so ridiculous to think that $2 million is enough to do this.

I'll wait and see but I just don't believe it.

I agree. There's been enough cases of Kickstarters running in budget issues, and using the stretch-goals money just to finish the game. They don't have a publisher to turn to for the extra dough.
I'm semi expecting Bloodstained spending 1.4m just to finish the game, for instance.

deleted

I did not know that SEGA wasn't involved in this. Makes me feel a little better about the whole kickstarter thing.

Although I'm pretty much against kickstarter for a 'proof of demand' thing. And I doubt this game can be made south of 10m.

With that in mind, it's amazing that this game is being made. And made the E3 with FF7 remake AND Last Guardian reappearance.
This E3 won't be topped in a very long time.

Cyborg

430a94c2_Denzel-Boom.gif

Flo_Evans

Tried to fund last night, kickstarter down.

Will put my money in for the digital copy when I get to work :)

Can't believe this is happening. :)

Zach

Very cool. I never really played Shenmue. I believe I borrowed Shenmue 2 and watched a Shenmue recap before playing Shenmue 2 for, I dunno, a few minutes before abandoning it. I may have to watch a Shenmue 1/2 movie on YouTube or something and see if I can understand the appeal all these years later.

Still, very cool! I'm thrilled for you guys.

Ocaso

Sony and whoever else is obviously already making the game. Everybody that donated probably just put a little money towards the future marketing campaign.

I suspect they have an arrangement similar to Bloodstained, where they would fund the game provided there was sufficient interest from fans. Nothing shows interest like throwing actual money at it years before it launches.

ArjanN

Can't wait to explain to the kickstarter doubters and people who think Shenmue 3 would need 80 billion dollars why they're wrong over and over for the next 2 years. :p

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I still can't believe it. A few HOURS ago people would have thought that this is a photoshoped prank:

CHnzf_oWUAAExTm.png:large

andymcc

Banned
Can't wait to explain to the kickstarter doubters and people who think Shenmue 3 would need 80 billion dollars why they're wrong over and over for the next 2 years. :p

have fun in this thread.

Here you go:

it would probably get to 150k tops

Aside from the reasons mentioned, most publishers and investors don't take Kickstarter seriously as a way to fund anything AAA related.

Because even Yu Suzuki probably know that it is going to fail miserably. It's been over a decade since the last Shenmue. Let it go.

I hope they do.

The KS won't break 50k.

Diamond

Its not. Its likely nowhere near. Every big kickstarter game probably had significant outside funding or additional added by the studio.

"Nowhere near" $2 million is a lot of money. For a game that no publisher wanted to back, I find it maybe a tiny bit optimistic. Are there examples where a kickstarter received a lot more money after a successful campaign, outside of maybe Star Citizen ?
Studio funding, sure, it's possible, but I don't think Yu Suzuki or YsNet are swimming in cash right now. From outside, but who ? Sony ? They didn't make it clear during the keynote that they wanted to invest money in the project.

In any case, hope they can make the game they want with the cash they'll get.

Good job fellow gamers. Show the suits what we want to play. And thank you Sony for listening to us. Put my $29 up for this.

Now I have to go find a way to play the first two.

diamount

Banned
So... will Sony come fund this properly once the KS has ended, because no way will surpass Shenmue 2 on a 10 mill budget.

I agree. There's been enough cases of Kickstarters running in budget issues, and using the stretch-goals money just to finish the game. They don't have a publisher to turn to for the extra dough.
I'm semi expecting Bloodstained spending 1.4m just to finish the game, for instance.

The goal with kickstarter is to raise the money needed to make a project happen, but it's not necessarly the same thing as that it's all the money needed for the project to be fully completeted.

That you use additional money is often use doesn't mean that you have budget issues, if you still have it under control.

Ocaso

They are not - they even indicated as much before announcing it saying "this is very much their project, but we wanted to show it off on our stage". On top of that Sony are not listed as a sponsor at the end of the trailer with the others involved

Maybe, maybe not. Why limit it on consoles to PS4 if that's the case? Why not both Xbox and PS4?

Poona

Would have been interesting to see how well it would have done if it didn't get announced at an e3 press conference, and have to try and make it like all other kickstarters.

Skux

Yeah, this is what I call a "marketing Kickstarter".

The game was already going to be made. Judging by the demand, a Kickstarter was going to succeed no matter what the goal was (within reason). And the feel-good nature of crowdfunding coupled with the inevitable "fastest ever" success story is great for publicity.

I've never even played the games but I put $5 into it just to help it succeed. The people here who are the big fans, you deserve it.

GrayDock

This Kickstart will only fund the title screen and maybe the credits... The reason for the kickstart is to make the fans fell being "part of it" and nothing else. Well, maybe fund the title screen and credits :D

Anyway if this is the only way to fund the game now, them I'm ok with this.

Backed, by the way.

Diamond

Maybe, maybe not. Why limit it on consoles to PS4 if that's the case? Why not both Xbox and PS4?

That's another very good question. IMO Sony would have told everyone if they had invested money in the game. But clearly they said they were promoting the kickstarter campaign, not funding the game.
Then why the console exclusivity ? Maybe YsNet were offered dev kits and assistance as a part of the announcement deal. "We'll help you but we have the exclusivity on consoles", something like that.

Knowing that Sony is, at least financially, involved would be reassuring, but at this point their involvement is basically not clear at all.

ChaosXVI

Can they make the whole game with $2m ?

As has been stated quite a bit, I really don't think the Kickstarter is the game's primary budget. It's something to attract a big publisher (if Sony isn't already attached to fill the role, which it probably is.)

Even still, with all the record breaking donations, I fully expect this game to get the backing of a big publisher, probably Sony, as just having it on their stage immediately made them the winners of E3, so they'd be wise to get behind it.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
As has been stated quite a bit, I really don't think the Kickstarter is the game's primary budget. It's something to attract a big publisher (if Sony isn't already attached to fill the role, which it probably is.)

Even still, with all the record breaking donations, I fully expect this game to get the backing of a big publisher, probably Sony, as just having it on their stage immediately made them the winners of E3, so they'd be wise to get behind it.

So much confusion I think we need a separate thread to explain the funding process.

CHl42IzUcAAHZCk.jpg

https://twitter.com/DylanJobe/status/610652101916557314?s=09

These make a lot of sense. Don't know why that didn't occur to me.

Ithil

You can't just make a kickstarter asking for 10 million. Of course it's only asking for 2 million (in of itself one of the largest funding amounts asked for on kickstarter).

Top Bottom