• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

saladine1

Sn4ke_911 said:
I don't have the magazine but on their site they have a small preview.

pro:
- cockpit view mode is great
- car handling is really good and feels real
- many tracks

contra:
- Enemy AI is like Motorstorm they are trying to ram you and stuff like that
- at the beginning of arcade mode only a few cars available

There is also a pic where they are comparing all the racing game cockpit views. And SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED scored the best. Realism: 4/5 and Dynamic: 5/5
Sounds good.

@op_ivy, I'm starting to think the same thing as well. Not everyone drives the same way and could be down to that..

op_ivy said:
i wonder if some of the ai behavior is still driven by the precision and aggression points behind the scenes.

Atleast for the player there is now only a single XP bar, no more Aggression and Precision differences.

And i really like the music, much more toned down and ambient-ish :D But the video footage of this racing's tony hawk is really jarring against the CGI material.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Noisepurge said:
Atleast for the player there is now only a single XP bar, no more Aggression and Precision differences.

yeah, i'm aware of the change, hence the "behind the scenes" comment. i cant stop watching that video, i love the sounds especially! when the mustang overtakes that other car in leguna seca's corkscrew i get hard

op_ivy said:
yeah, i'm aware of the change, hence the "behind the scenes" comment. i cant stop watching that video, i love the sounds especially! when the mustang overtakes that other car in leguna seca's corkscrew i get hard

The sound design is amazing once again :D It might not be realistic but who cares when it feels just right.

NHale said:
Do you have the normal or limited edition?

a promotional copy of the normal, so no online pass :/ and the limited edition only gave some cars right? i have played Shift and Hot Pursuit so it gave me a Police branded Murcielago and an orange Zonda, cant remember the accurate models.

NHale

Another video from VVVGamer (with 30sec gameplay): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y56r7pquI-8&feature=channel_video_title

In this video he gives his opinion about the game and he doesn't seem pleased. My guess is that he broke the embargo. It's strange to see the car behave like that in the straight because it doesn't behave like that in other gameplay videos.

Noisepurge said:
a promotional copy of the normal, so no online pass :/ and the limited edition only gave some cars right? i have played Shift and Hot Pursuit so it gave me a Police branded Murcielago and an orange Zonda, cant remember the accurate models.

The limited edition includes 3 cars and 40 single player events. Just wanted to know if the single player events are worth the extra price.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
As soon as there are reviews of the PC version running on Radeon gpu I'll place my order.
I'm not down to wait 4 months to just make it playable with a patch fixing Ati performances like last time.

Gravijah

NHale said:
The limited edition includes 3 cars and 40 single player events. Just wanted to know if the single player events are worth the extra price.

40 events? That seems like a pretty large amount. How many events are in the game?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Played it for an hour. Looks fantastic, sounds fucking fantastic and plays great. Physics seem very similar to the first game to lots of sliding around corners.

NHale

Gravijah said:
40 events? That seems like a pretty large amount. How many events are in the game?

In this video it appears 66 "events" in the career mode. If the limited edition has indeed 40 "events" like those, it's almost 40% of the full experience exclusive for preorders which seems unbelievable since not every preorder in Europe is a Limited Edition because they are retailer exclusive. Some people believe those "40 exclusive events" are just 40 exclusive races not events (multiple races).

Usually EA would get developers talking about the exclusive content and how important it is in every website but it seems like EA isn't marketing the game like they normally do. It's very strange.

Router said:
Played it for an hour. Looks fantastic, sounds fucking fantastic and plays great. Physics seem very similar to the first game to lots of sliding around corners.
Uh oh...

Kyaw

Router said:

That doesn't look too great... :(

markao

Wanted to let you guys know, I have serious issues with my own PC and probably hardware related (not isolated issue yet :( ), so I could be off-line for a while. If there is something that needs to be added to OP, ask MOD ;)

Watevaman

Router said:

Thanks. Saved me $60.

markao

markao said:
Wanted to let you guys know, I have serious issues with my own PC and probably hardware related (not isolated issue yet :( ), so I could be off-line for a while. If there is something that needs to be added to OP, ask MOD ;)
Still not sure what was causing my BSOD (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), but reinstalling W7 on an other hard-drive gives me at least access to my PC again. Glad all data in OT is uploaded, because it and a lot more is gone :( .

reinstalling everything else on my PC so will update track images when all is done ;)

Loxley

That was an awesome trailer, I really dug the remix.

That said, I'm holding off on Shift 2 until the summer when my budget is a bit more open. So, in the mean-time, I picked up DiRT 2 for cheap to keep my racing itch scratched, since I've never played it but have heard nothing but good things.

op_ivy

love the drift practice area (?) figure 8. reminds me of dirt 3's gymkhana

saladine1

For Aussies who live in Sydney, check out Funland in Bankstown tomorrow (Monday) if they want a copy of the game :)
Just don't bring 1000 people with you....

saladine1

No more SHIFT?

"Essentially we were let down at the last minute by one publisher who we'd signed a deal with only for it to be canned before we even started. I can't say who," Bell said. He went on to say that he's still in talks with the publisher in question among others. As for the studio's next project, that's currently up in the air. Bell says Slightly Mad hasn't been able to "secure a deal for a new project... yet," though he adds that he's "optimistic about the future."

stiq of joy

saladine1

I thought that SMS were bought by EA?

Anyway, rumours are suggesting that the project had something to do with MS and a certain PGR game...

oh yeah and that 40 limited edition events, its possible, a single race is called an "event" so an exhibition can contain like 5 races.

It's easy to throw in some more races in the same tracks the game already has, just with different cars.

rvy

Banned
Slackbladder said:
As may have been mentioned no Ferrari again? Will Forza be the only game where a Ferrari and Porsche can race each other?
I thought there were Ferraris in the first, but they were only available through paid DLC.

elfinke

Great OP. I really enjoyed the hyperbolic/exaggerated nature of Shift 1 (PS3), especially the sounds, and as long as EA haven't botched Mt Panorama than I'm in for another round of Shift (though perhaps PC this time).

Gacha-pin

op_ivy said:
i wonder if some of the ai behavior is still driven by the precision and aggression points behind the scenes. if i'm not mistaken, the ai would drive more aggressively in shift 1 if that was how you drove, and less if you scored more in the precision driving realm. maybe the mixed impressions are due to individual players driving styles?

When I was on a straight at low speed, AI hit my tail as if I was not there feels like AI are just running on their rails.

I haven't played Shift 2 much so I could be wrong. But I haven't seen that AI dodged the low speed opponents.

Gacha-pin said:
When I was on a straight at low speed, AI hit my tail as if I was not there feels like AI are just running on their rails.

I haven't played Shift 2 much so I could be wrong. But I haven't seen that AI dodged the low speed opponents.

yeah they tend to just ram into you in Shift 2 aswell. I can post some more videos later today showing this.

They do however try to get out of your way if you get too close.

saladine1

So, been playing SHIFT 2 for the last couple of hours.

Some quick impressions:

Handling has improved IMMENSELY. The sliding or swaying isn't there any more!
The cars are very controllable from the start without having to tweak certain wheel settings.

I've only driven a few of cars but you can really feel the distinction between FF and FR for example. I drove a Mk1 Golf around Bathurst and I must say....it was phenomenal!

Going fast over a hill or 'jump' will not result in an 'airbag' landing like in other games. Oh no, the result is the suspension and tyres lose all sense of stability and you completely lose the car in the most realistic fashion i've ever seen in a game!

Snap oversteer is depicted really well. Counter steering is also simulated in a proper manner.
You will lose grip if accelerating on a fullish lock and the locking up of brakes feel realistic as well.

I really love the Elite physics, if feels so right and is a lot of fun. It's not PC sim physics but it's pretty close, much,much better than SHIFT 1.

T Ghost

saladine1 said:

Some quick impressions:

The cars are very controllable from the start without having to tweak certain wheel settings.

I've only driven a few of cars but you can really feel the distinction between FF and FR for example. I drove a Mk1 Golf around Bathurst and I must say....it was phenomenal!

Going fast over a hill or 'jump' will not result in an 'airbag' landing like in other games. Oh no, the result is the suspension and tyres lose all sense of stability and you completely lose the car in the most realistic fashion i've ever seen in a game!

Snap oversteer is depicted really well. Counter steering is also simulated in a proper manner.
You will lose grip if accelerating on a fullish lock and the locking up of brakes feel realistic as well.

I really love the Elite physics, if feels so right and is a lot of fun. It's not PC sim physics but it's pretty close, much,much better than SHIFT 1.

This is awesome news! Thanks! Which system are you playing on and which wheel, if any?

I'm Gameflying PS3 and 360 and then decide which one to keep.

jergrah

Saladine - Are you playing with a wheel or controller? Im waiting to hear feedback on the GT Pro Force wheel with the game before I make a purchase.

op_ivy

saladine1 said:

Some quick impressions:

terrific impressions.

how sick did helmet cam make you? :p
seriously though, any impressions on the helmet cam? dying to know if looking into corners, and the other additions to this camera, really works

fozzy

I'm playing it on xbox with controller and it feels great. Much better than the first. The test car it gives you at the start (think it's a Nissan GTR) feels terrible.
I was very worried but i bought the Golf GTI and it handles like a dream.

Also i managed to get the mk1 golf to works spec. Such a beast.

The sound and graphics are amazing too. I mostly play bumper cam.

jlevel13

saladine1 said:

Some quick impressions:

The handling was basically fine in the early tiers of the first game too (if you could deal with the cornering). It was only when you got up to the later tiers / more powerful cars that things got really bad / unplayable. I mean, I hope it's fixed & improved, but it certainly didn't look like it in the videos posted the other day (above)... I don't know.

T Ghost

jlevel13 said:
The handling was basically fine in the early tiers of the first game too (if you could deal with the cornering). It was only when you got up to the later tiers / more powerful cars that things got really bad / unplayable. I mean, I hope it's fixed & improved, but it certainly didn't look like it in the videos posted the other day (above)... I don't know.

I have the same opinion. On consoles (I Have PS3 and 360's version) I loved the first game on the first tiers, specially with the wheels. But the top tiers are a bad joke. It's not that it's "too hard". It's plain broken, unplayable.

saladine1

I'm playing on Xbox 360 with a Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo and rennsport stand.

As for track width, it does depend on which view you play in that affects how wide the track looks. Playing from bumper makes the track feel wider while playing in helmet or cockpit makes it look narrower. It also depends on the width of the car you are using. I positioned the in game car with it's real life counterpart on the same stretches of road (Bathurst) and IMO, the in game tracks look like the same width as the real one....

Helmet can DOES NOT MAKE YOU SICK!
The G force exaggerations we saw in previous videos is sort of toned down to be honest. Sure, there's movement but it's fine and very playable imo. It takes a little time to get used to but the look to apex is subtle and not that bad really.

With regards to more powerful vehicles, I drove an Aston Martin V8 and Porsche 911 GT3 around the ring and they too are very controllable,very stable compared to SHIFT 1. It's an awesome experience imo, the cars lose grip when you expect them to, and handle very,very well.....

Top Bottom