• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shpeshal_Nick: There will be a Big State of Play in March

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
if its true Socom reveal better be in this one
Black Widow Avengers GIF

Gran Turismo and Ghostwire deep dives of some sort/hype reels for launch + brief glimpses at what to expect in the summer/early fall and maybe a few indies.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The Gran Turismo State of Play was excellent. It was a real nice deep dive into exactly what the game offered. I really enjoyed it and I expect many old school GT fans did as well.

That deep dive kinda turned me off from the game but I thought it was done phenomenally well. It seemed to cover all the major aspects of the game in good detail and some pizazz. I'd love it if they kept that formula for future games.

CosmicComet

The Gran Turismo State of Play was excellent. It was a real nice deep dive into exactly what the game offered. I really enjoyed it and I expect many old school GT fans did as well.
It was a deep dive of a game already announced. Not saying it wasn't 'quality' but I didn't care. Not remotely hype inducing like old E3s used to be. Not a single post-covid show of Sony's (or even 2019 really) has been exciting.

CosmicComet

Literally the WORST take of the week.
Nah. You're no stranger to trash takes but mine isn't one.

How is the notion that Sony has been unexciting in the transition years to PS5 anything other than a commonly growing sentiment? On this very forum?

E3 season used to be a second Christmas to me because Sony was consistently putting on bangers since 2009 and onward. That abruptly stopped and nothing has taken its place on Sony's end.

Last edited:

Rac3r

That deep dive kinda turned me off from the game but I thought it was done phenomenally well. It seemed to cover all the major aspects of the game in good detail and some pizazz. I'd love it if they kept that formula for future games.

Just curious, why did it turn you off the game?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just curious, why did it turn you off the game?

My history with Gran Turismo looks like this...

GT - Floored with it. 10/10
GT2 - Loved it. 9.5/10
GT3 - Liked it. 8.5/10
GT4 - Liked it. 8.5/10
GT Sport - liked it. 8/10

I like driving around tracks like Leguna Seca 1,000+ times, but not necessarily 2,000+ times.

GT7 needed a big career type mode to pull me back in. Something social where I could get to talk to other players over a period of time. The presentation was well done but it felt like it was more of the same, personally.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Nah. You're no stranger to trash takes but mine isn't one.

How is the notion that Sony has been unexciting in the transition years to PS5 anything other than a commonly growing sentiment? On this very forum?

E3 season used to be a second Christmas to me because Sony was consistently putting on bangers since 2009 and onward. That abruptly stopped and nothing has taken its place on Sony's end.

I hate that Sony stopped "being" at E3, but this show did happen....

yurinka

In March they have GT7, Ghostwire Tokyo and soon after Stray or Forspoken. I think the that whenever they make their next Days of Play -could be late March- will be to highlight the remaining H1 games adding some random indies and b tier timed exclusive games there plus a reminder of the U4+ULL PC port.

Or could also be to highlight upcoming OS/services stuff like Discord, Spartacus -if it ever exists-, PS5 Tournaments or EVO 2022, plus maybe also including a PSVR2 commercial showing a person using it an expaining its features in a video with gameplay of Horizon Call of the Mountain. And who knows if also the announcement of that they'll open that Sony Netflix-like video on demand service they are testing in Poland I think.

I wouldn't expect any big news other than -if lucky- a Spartacus reveal. I think they'll focus on to highlight remaining H1 2022 stuff. And then in Summer around E3 they would announce H2 2022 and 2023 stuff plus would show an epic GoWR trailer and pretty likely announce its release date (I'd bet Septembere 2022).

Ghostwire has already been done. It was the same week as HFW. Was it done by the studio themselves?

Remember that Deathloop was in 834 State of Play and Sony conferences.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

How many state of plays does Sony do per year? 5 or 6? So basically if you say there's a state of play happening any given month you have close to a 50% chance of being right. You can also increase those odds a bit by using basic knowledge of the videogame scene.

Elios83

These twitter fake insiders just want attention.
They don't know anything.
But in general it's clear that things are being planned for spring.
Spartacus reveal, FFXVI new showcase, more PSVR2 announcements, deep dive into God of War Ragnarok and they need to start talking about what's next after HFW, GT7 and GOW.
So it's clear there are many things to talk about this year hence why these people are throwing these educated guessings.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
I recall that show and literally nothing but Demons Souls, a game I beat in 2009, and Little Devil Inside, an indie budget game, caught my attention.

That's cool, but literally everyone else thought it was a great show. We saw the PS5 for the first time here. Not sure how that didn't catch your attention. :pie_eyeroll:

Sony hasn't had a good show since 2018.

What they consider 'big' now is probably some Deathloop dlc taking up 15 minutes of a SoP.
Those 2 showings Sony did in 2020 before the PS5 release haven't been surpassed by anyone since then.

Seriously, you had huge AAA reveals for Horizon's sequel, Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy XVI, Forspoken, God of War Ragnarok, Miles Morales, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Hogwarts, etc...and all most of them with gameplay (except for God of War), etc... How is this bad in any way?

They have been surpassed if you consider CGI trailers with a "2024" date at the end, that's for sure...but i'm too old for hype trailers. Give me either gameplay footage or at least in game footage any day.

2021 was weak in general but not just for Sony tbh.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Bet he won't predict Sony's heel turn where they invite Phil Spencer onstage, announce both companies are joining together and they do DX crotch chops before leaving the stage.....

Zeroing

Banned
I’m more of a insider than that guy!

Sony will not do anything “huge” until late September…it’s not hard to understand why!!!
Also it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that until covid restrictions are truly over, Sony will not do “full orchestra” shows.

Also I’m not sure why he is talking about MS buying stuff! They can’t until the Activision deal gets approved.

idk, KoTOR remake, Wolverine, Spider-man 2, and Ragnarok being shown in a show seems pretty fucking good to me?

We may see more marvel's spider-man 2. but for marvel's wolverine? Seems to be still too early in development. Drew Murray has been putting out AD's on twitter for programmers still.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Got to commend this guy and Klobrille for their grift.

Anyone can be a fake insider these days, just got to be persistent.
He's our time's Nostradamus.

Throwing random predictions around and hoping they will become true between 1 month and hundreds of years from now.
man i need to predict state play every month, so can get rid of my tag and get a new one as insider

edit: oh shit i forgot to post a vague gif

elyse-willems-im-not-going-to-say-anything.gif
66gk59.jpg

watdaeff4

It's funny you say that because in one of his podcasts, he said that Phil was part of that xbox era discord. You would be surprised at how chatty these MS execs are. Several posters on era have gotten to speak with Panello and Matt Booty in person at their fan events.

Now I doubt Phil is leaking acquisition stuff to them. Nick had mentioned how Phil never posts there, but controlled leaks are a thing. Panello knew about PS5 specs (well, the 8 tflops Gonzalo anyway) and thats why all the xbox era dudes were so convinced the PS5 was just 8-9 tflops. If it's coming from execs, why wouldnt you believe it?

If I had to guess, this is a misdirection and MS is indeed interested in acquiring those publishers. his source is likely not Phil himself but someone up there.
Controlled leaks are a thing regarding specs, game releases etc

Controlled leaks regarding acquisitions involving publicly traded companies are not a thing due to not wanting any claims that could state insider trading

EDIT: that’s why you hear about none of these big acquisitions until the companies themselves officially announce

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Those 2 showings Sony did in 2020 before the PS5 release haven't been surpassed by anyone since then.

Seriously, you had huge AAA reveals for Horizon's sequel, Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy XVI, Forspoken, God of War Ragnarok, Miles Morales, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Hogwarts, etc...and all most of them with gameplay (except for God of War), etc... How is this bad in any way?

They have been surpassed if you consider CGI trailers with a "2024" date at the end, that's for sure...but i'm too old for hype trailers. Give me either gameplay footage or at least in game footage any day.

2021 was weak in general but not just for Sony tbh.
2021 was not weak for Nintendo tho.

I've been far more impressed with the Switch's output than Sony's lately.

Rac3r

My history with Gran Turismo looks like this...

GT - Floored with it. 10/10
GT2 - Loved it. 9.5/10
GT3 - Liked it. 8.5/10
GT4 - Liked it. 8.5/10
GT Sport - liked it. 8/10

I like driving around tracks like Leguna Seca 1,000+ times, but not necessarily 2,000+ times.

GT7 needed a big career type mode to pull me back in. Something social where I could get to talk to other players over a period of time. The presentation was well done but it felt like it was more of the same, personally.

Fair enough, I don't disagree with you, although I loved sport.

A social mode is a good idea, and at the very least they should have an option for mic chat in lobbies. For me the biggest disappointment was the lack of new tracks at launch, especially since I've spent so much time in Sport. Like you said, lapping the same tracks gets stale. They should've brought back a few more classics like Seattle, El Capitan, Citti Di Aria etc. as well as some new ones like Silverstone.

I'm still optimistic though, and I think the full game might have some surprises that weren't shown in the deep dive. At worst, it'll still be supported with monthly updates like GT Sport.

Javthusiast

Banned
There will be no big Sony show in march. I guarantee it.

If a show happens, I won't watch jav movies for a whole month.

Last edited:
I hate that people continue to post this idiots heresay. He has never been correct about anything substantial, ever.

This seems to be the life of a “insider” they guess one thing right or get tipped off by chance once, then they turn it into a full time career of throwing random shit at the wall. Then they continue to get attention because people are so hard for any gaming news, cause games just don’t do it anymore for people ig guess.

I'm guessing sony will have a show after GT7 is out to focus on the next batch of games. We will get a release date for God of war and hear more about psvr2 along with more announcements.

Top Bottom