• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim coming to Nintendo Switch [Maybe?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. I mean, I loved Skyrim but...I played it in 2011 along with most other people. I guess it's still very popular on Steam etc. but....a 2017 Nintendo console? Eh.

I think it was just an easy way for Nintendo to show folks they are working with 3rd party developers and publishers. Everyone knew that was Skyrim the minute it popped up on the screen. Its one of the most recognizable games over the last decade. The message wasn't intended to be, you can play this old game on our new system but, you can play games that other systems run on our new system.

Tobor

Because the Switch is running on mobile hardware? Maybe Bethesda is planning on bringing the original Skyrim to iOS and Android next year and this is an extension of that?

I was having the same thought. If Bethesda is indeed porting Skyrim to ARM, the sky is the limit here. Is it exclusive to Switch?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Even though I don't actually care that much about Skyrim this is a huge coup for Nintendo.

Definitely a system-seller in the eyes of many people.

I'll be more excited one they reveal specs. Thing is, I love Nintendo games and I definitely will be purchasing this console at some point before I am dead, but I'm not gonna be on board asap unless they reveal that they can play most of the most modern games right away, OR have indies on board. Right now the PS4 is an easy buy because it has so much available on it already, and it has guaranteed continued support for at least another few years. The Switch looks cool and I definitely want the new Mario and Zelda, but the latter is already on a console I own and they haven't shown much of Mario. I need 3rd parties and indies to make it a MUST have

I think it was just an easy way for Nintendo to show folks they are working with 3rd party developers and publishers. Everyone knew that was Skyrim the minute it popped up on the screen. Its one of the most recognizable games over the last decade. The message wasn't intended to be, you can play this old game on our new system but, you can play games that other systems run on our new system.

Well said, exactly why I thought this was a really good move.

Everybody knows Skyrim and having it on the go is really cool.

Branson

Even though I don't actually care that much about Skyrim this is a huge coup for Nintendo.

Is it? I'll just play the superior version on my PC thats hooked up to the exact same tv. It's cool for people that want it portable or something though.

shandy706

People that don't own a last gen console, current gen console or a pc?

Hmm, I own all 3. A portable version while I'm doing field work does sound neat.

I had no interest in the remaster on console (having a modded PC version), but this is interesting.

Mods are coming to PS4 though so what's so funny about all consoles getting mods?

The PS4's mods (Fallout 4 wise) are severely limited (no new content) vs the open system on PC and Xbox One.

That's what he was talking about.

Dinjoralo

Pretty much my opinion. Don't think Skyrim's that great of a game, but I'll be damned if it doesn't have a gravitational pull. The Portable Skyrim Machine™ is probably on track to doing nicely.

120v

kind of after-the-fact

skyrim is my GOAT but i don't think even i'll bite on this. maybe for $20 and i have a trip planned or something

RedFyn

It's just semantics anyway because it may be a version of the remaster content but have different graphic settings, resolution, etc. than the other console versions. So I'm not sure why people are so hung up on that. If I were to guess it won't be called Skyrim Remastered, but will have a special unique name.
True

Because the Switch is running on mobile hardware? Maybe Bethesda is planning on bringing the original Skyrim to iOS and Android next year and this is an extension of that?
I guess I don't understand basing it off unknown hardware. Nor do I expect it to be that underpowered.

Let's not downplay portability, as that is a huge reason why this port is special, and possibly Nintendo's pitch for getting devs to dial back their games graphically for a Switch port

Let's be honest here, I've played Skyrim on the go years ago, on a pretty small and powerful notebook. That's not very special, because a solution has been there for many, many years now for anyone who wanted to really play Skyrim in another room, at school or on a plane.

I'd be singing a different tune if it wasn't 5 years old by release. People should be more excited by the possibility of mod-support on a Nintendo platform if they do get it.

Best wishes.

cheesekao

The PS4's mods (Fallout 4 wise) are severely limited (no new content) vs the open system on PC and Xbox One.

That's what he was talking about.
I can't see how it's in any way funny since Nintendo has never explicitly blocked mods in the past before but that's his perogative I guess.

Do people really not get this? Skyrim (and Bethesda in general) was the poster child for AAA third party support which Nintendo could never get. This is hugely surprising and very good news.

Also, this looks much more like Skyrim remastered than the original.

Also those saying why not fallout 4?? What makes you say that? This isn't the only third party game they'll have guys, be patient haha

AGoodODST

Mods are coming to PS4 though so what's so funny about all consoles getting mods?

Are they? I thought it was confirmed a while ago they weren't due to disagreements with Sony?

And it's not "so funny". It would just be amusing to have a situation where the Switch supported it and the PS4 didn't. Ya know, since it's Nintendo.

SpaceHorror

Never beat Skyrim and while I was going to pick it up on the PS4 I'll probably hold off now to see how it holds up on the Switch.

Tobor

True

I guess I don't understand basing it off unknown hardware. Nor do I expect it to be that underpowered.

Mods are possible on the other consoles due to X86 architecture. The Switch is using a Tegra ARM chipset. It's a completely different architecture.

It's not to say mods would be impossible, but it would be a TON of work. I'd say it's highly unlikely.

Oh, 100%. This is the first portable Skyrim, and Skyrim fans are crazy about Skyrim.

not crazy enough to buy a new piece of hardware just to pls a possibly downgraded version of the same game they've been playing already for 5 years. It reminds me of when people thought a super late port of Minecraft was going to do wonders for the Wii U. The concept of "Skyrim on the go!" has some novelty, but this totally reeks of Batman Armored Edition all over again. The fact that they chose this to showcase seems to indicate to me that their western third party support will probably not be much better than it was on Wii U.

Bl@de

Reminds me of Batman and Mass Effect on WiiU. A couple of big old titles on launch and that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the same way. Can't see why people are so excited about this :/

I don't get it. If the point of replaying a game that almost everyone has already played is to play it with new cutting edge graphics, why would you play it on a Nintendo system? I don't understand the obsession with remasters in the first place but wouldn't you want to play it on PS4 Pro or Scorpio if you didn't play it on PC the first time?

True

It's not that unknown. It's running on a mobile chipset and likely will be targeting an MSRP in the $200-300 range. People need to temper their expectations.

Mods are possible on the other consoles due to X86 architecture. The Switch is using a Tegra ARM chipset. It's a completely different architecture.

It's not to say mods would be impossible, but it would be a TON of work. I'd say it's highly unlikely.

This literally has nothing to do with it. All of the mods are made using Bethesda creation kits, which themselves are mostly tools that Bethesda uses themselves in working on their games. You can be guaranteed that their internal tools will be ported to work on NX and thus could likewise be used on NX for mod support if Nintendo allows for it.

Skyrim is one of the greatest games ever made, mods or no mods. I kind of doubt that this will support mods because we've heard nothing of storage methods. Mods can be YUGE.

Megatron

Additionally this trailer was to introduce the switch, not the games. Sure they snuck mario in there, but we are supposed to focus on the switch. Showing remasters is a good way to show a diverse game lineup and not detract from the system. New games will be announced at a direct.

And count me in to finally try skyrim now....

FoneBone

Because Skyrim is one of the most popular video games of all time and now people can easily play it anywhere.

I don't even like The Elder Scrolls and I'm going to buy it, as having it on the go might actually get me to play the game in short bursts.

I'm sure this sort of thing will do a ton to drive hardware sales

ltI5cIq.jpg

Reminds me of Batman and Mass Effect on WiiU. A couple of big old titles on launch and that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the same way. Can't see why people are so excited about this :/

It's mostly notable because Bethesda barely supported Wii, and didn't support Wii U at all.

Because Sony who've positioned themselves as being 'for the players' don't allow mods on PS4.

Not entirely true, they wouldn't allow them, then the negativity seemed to get them to allow 'some' mods akin to texture skins, so if Nintendo did allow them? well it would be like nintendo have actually learnt

not crazy enough to buy a new piece of hardware just to pls a possibly downgraded version of the same game they've been playing already for 5 years. It reminds me of when people thought a super late port of Minecraft was going to do wonders for the Wii U. The concept of "Skyrim on the go!" has some novelty, but this totally reeks of Batman Armored Edition all over again. The fact that they chose this to showcase seems to indicate to me that their western third party support will probably not be much better than it was on Wii U.

Yep it's definitely a wait-and-see situation. I mean, hope for the best, but we gotta keep expectations in check.

Eolz

That was honestly the most surprising thing of the ad for me.
The meaning of Bethesda taking a Nintendo platform seriously is really impressive.

The meaning of Bethesda taking a Nintendo platform seriously is really impressive.

Yeah not many people seem to appreciate that. It's symbolically much bigger than one 5 year old game.

Yeah not many people seem to appreciate that. It's symbolically much bigger than one 5 year old game.

I mean by March the remaster will have been out for how many months? This really isn't some thrilling announcement. I'll be shocked if Bethesda ports their next game to Switch. Maybe we can expect Fallout 4?

Shaanyboi

Banned
A port of a 5 year old game is taking it seriously? I mean Skyrim on the go is a cool get, but let's wait and see how this shakes out when we start getting details.

Nightbird

As far as I know the WiiU Port of Minecraft has been selling well.
It was too late to change something about the system though.

A port of a 5 year old game is taking it seriously? I mean Skyrim on the go is a cool get, but let's wait and see how this shakes out when we start getting details.

isn't it the version that has yet to be released on other platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom