• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Kane1345

Zy8TFLQ.jpg

Wow, really glad I decided to wait for a while.

Not taking any chances, here's my temporary solution from this thread. Cut the piece of cloth (or what is it?) that the screen came in to the size of the dock, stick it on the inside, stick it down with tape.

bmLJd0d.jpg

Yes. My Switch has been docked and undocked multiple times and nothing even resembling a scratch, just some fingerprint smudges around the bezel.

There is over a mm of space from thr screen and the front of the dock, amd two soft rubber guides positioned by the bezels and when laid flat you can still see light between the system and theose guides, i.e. it is not a snug fit.

It's really easy to see when you lay the dock flat and have a light source behind it.

I can take pics if someone wouldn't mind helping me with the easiest GAF-friendly way to post them from mobile.

This is fake news bro.

Does Nintendo pay you through PayPal or direct deposit?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Options Nintendo could have considered
- use gorilla glass so it wouldn't scratch against the plastic
- add cushioning to the plastic guide rails to protect the screen (there is some at the bottom)
- use a shallow dock more like the 3DS dock so the screen isn't covered in the first place.

It seems to take quite a few missteps to achieve this.

- why have a dock that covers the entire screen?
- why use hard plastic for the guide rails?
- why use a plastic screen cover that will easily scratch?
- why do literally all of those things?

mrback

Put a screen protector on straight away on mine & can see liitle marks on the bottom left & right of the screen. Glad i fitted one. The protecter is a tempered one though so is raised ever so slightly. Didn't wanna risk it to be honest.

I quickly talked to my dad about how to prevent/mitigate this issue, and he suggested using simple paper/scotch tape and tape over the hard edges of the guide rails. It certainly seems to be a lot better, it makes the edges softer and won't scratch the screen.

Seems like more than just the dock caused that original scratch, if sand or grit gets between the two surfaces that's what happens. I mean adding felt etc is softer but also has more chances of clinging to a harder particle and keeping it there to scrape.

As long as the plastic on the screen is harder than the type used on the dock it can't scratch it without some other abrasive.

Has anyone else even had this problem?

daxgame

Love that the early replies were acting like this stuff was faked by the Glixel guy taking a knife to his Switch.
And here we are ten pages later and everyone is ghetto-rigging their docks with cloth and packing materials.
That's because these kind of reports make people panic. Tbh I found duckroll's post the most believable, but i'll see for myself tomorrow.
I don't think anyone rational thinks they used a knife, just didn't slot it with care.

DVCY201

Options Nintendo could have considered
- use gorilla glass so it wouldn't scratch against the plastic
- add cushioning to the plastic guide rails to protect the screen (there is some at the bottom)
- use a shallow dock more like the 3DS dock so the screen isn't covered in the first place.

It seems to take quite a few missteps to achieve this.

- why use hard plastic for the guide rails?
- why use a plastic screen cover that will easily scratch?
- why do literally all of those things?

Isn't the plastic screen better in case of drops? That way it cannot be shattered? I'd rather replace a $10 screen protector than buy a whole new unit.

Dock is awful though from the sound of it

Zemm

I have a feeling people are going to make more problems with the dock with some of the DIY "fixes" I've seen. I hope I'm wrong.

Shiggy

Isn't the plastic screen better in case of drops? That way it cannot be shattered? I'd rather replace a $10 screen protector than buy a whole new unit.

Dock is awful though from the sound of it

I think there's a good reason why smartphones and tablets in the price range of this device use gorilla glass. It's not that easy to shatter, unless you smash something on the screen or if it falls into something sharp. In that case a plastic screen doesn't fare too well either.

But how often does that happen? For a phone which you only hold with one hand that seems more likely, but with a relatively big device such as the Switch, which most probably won't even take out?

Scratches on a screen are simply a way more common occurrence and are the reason for why most other manufacturers use gorilla glass.

I had a Switch with a minor pink tint. Luckily I had a spare one ordered for another reason.

That said, it's completely normal for screens to have these kinds of variations. Last year I had a galaxy s7 with a pink tint, I've had iPads with them, etc.

It has nothing to do with the rushed launch narrative.

nampad

This thread is so wonderful. Apologists calling people out for spreading "fake news" while they are actually the ones that are at fault with their fake news bullshit.

-"Capacative screens can't be plastic or they won't work"
-"The screen is glass and can't be scratched by plastic"
-"It's definitely glass"

Screen lottery is also back on.

DVCY201

I think there's a good reason why smartphones and tablets in the price range of this device use gorilla glass. It's not that easy to shatter, unless you smash something on the screen or if it falls into something sharp. In that case a plastic screen doesn't fare too well either.

But how often does that happen? For a phone which you only hold with one hand that seems more likely, but with a relatively big device such as the Switch, which most probably won't even take out?

Scratches on a screen are simply a way more common occurrence and are the reason for why most other manufacturers use gorilla glass.

Anecdotal of course, but I've had friends drop their phones once and end up with a smashed screen. A lab mate recently dropped their Surface Pro 3 and now there's a long crack along the screen, and that's a premium device too.

I understand what you're saying, glass just feels and looks better overall. Personally, I would prefer it. But I do think you might be overestimating the resilience of impact and underestimating how frequently tablets and phones are dropped.

Unfortunately it is what it is.

That is what the soft side of Velcro is, basically. That's the whole point of my solution.

Also, anyone who also doesn't use a screen protector is foolish IMO, even if the dock was designed better. The first thing I did when I opened my Switch was put on a screen protector. Much easier to replace an $8 piece of plastic or glass than a $300 device.

The soft side, or loop, of velcro is either veltex or another synthetic. It can also eventually cause minor swirl marks in glass or plastic surfaces over time. You are much better off with microfiber due to a requirement that the woven thread be so small,(thinner than silk) to be called microfiber. The thicker fiber from veltex and other loop material will eventually cause little scratches you can see.

Shiggy

Anecdotal of course, but I've had friends drop their phones once and end up with a smashed screen. A lab mate recently dropped their Surface Pro 3 and now there's a long crack along the screen, and that's a premium device too.

I understand what you're saying, glass just feels and looks better overall. Personally, I would prefer it. But I do think you might be overestimating the resilience of impact and underestimating how frequently tablets and phones are dropped.

Unfortunately it is what it is.

I mean my Galaxy S3 glass screen also cracked when I held it in my hand while slipping and then falling on that hand. But the plastic screen of my Sony phone didn't fare any better when I dropped something on it. At the same time, the glass screen of my One Plus X survived when it got accidentally thrown out of my hand and smashed against a wall (that really surprised me lol).

I think it's way more common with phones than with tablets though.

DVCY201

I mean my Galaxy S3 glass screen also cracked when I held it in my hand while slipping and then falling on that hand. But the plastic screen of my Sony phone didn't fare any better when I dropped something on it. At the same time, the glass screen of my One Plus X survived when it got accidentally thrown out of my hand and smashed against a wall (that really surprised me lol).

I think it's way more common with phones than with tablets though.

Yea, I get what you're saying. I think they could've spent longer planning this and the materials for use. Or at least not cheap out on padding the dock, it would cost pennies to add more rubber.

Put me down as "paranoid as fuck" lmao.

Ordered those tempered glass screen protectors and my Switch isn't leaving the dock until then. I suppose I should cut the top open for ventilation, but it'll be okay while it's in sleep mode. I seriously got out of bed and checked my goddamn screen twice because I was nervous about the dock from the getgo. My screen is fine but I'm not taking any chances.

This won't do anything as you have it attached to the back, not the front of the dock. It needs to cover the front of the dock as that is what makes contact with the screen.

This is regarding the attached pic, not the screen protector, btw.

Rodin

Jesus Christ, i didn't even know i dodged that bullet.
Which ones better? I think I have the first one
You're fine.

Anyway, am i the only one having troubles removing the joycon straps? They're really hard to detach (yes i unlocked the white little thing at the bottom). Certainly they don't expect kids to remove those things without breaking them if that's how they're supposed to work? Or maybe i fucked i up when i attached them?

jts

...hate me...
Wait I'm a bit LTTP here so can anyone explain me why people are rigging their docks instead of slapping a screen protector on the Switch?

ktroopa

Wait I'm a bit LTTP here so can anyone explain me why people are rigging their docks instead of slapping a screen protector on the Switch?

1. Something to do whilst we wait for more games to release
2. Fun.
3. To protect from potential scratches appearing over time
4. See point 1

:D

Ricky 7

I only docked it once and I can see marks on it lol. Guess it's going to be my first handheld devices that I put a screen protecter on.

jts

...hate me...
1. Something to do whilst we wait for more games to release
2. Fun.
3. To protect from potential scratches appearing over time
4. See point 1

:D

I dont like screen protectors
I'm doing both, because I don't want to scratch my screen protector heavily either.

Gotcha guys! Was just afraid that could be something more sinister and immune to screen protectors.

I usually don't like screen protectors either, but when I saw that Nintendo was packing one with the official case, I thought that yeah... I probably should use this. Gonna slap it as soon as it comes out of the box when it arrives.

Lemonte

I would imagine Nintendos reasoning is that kids can't break the usb connector by bending it when yanking out the Switch. But yea, they could have come up with more elegant solution.

Gotcha guys! Was just afraid that could be something more sinister and immune to screen protectors.

I usually don't like screen protectors either, but when I saw that Nintendo was packing one with the official case, I thought that yeah... I probably should use this. Gonna slap it as soon as it comes out of the box when it arrives.

Use that one for now, but get a tempered glass one. I promise you won't regret it.

kamakazi5

Not taking any chances, here's my temporary solution from this thread. Cut the piece of cloth (or what is it?) that the screen came in to the size of the dock, stick it on the inside, stick it down with tape.

bmLJd0d.jpg

I doubt I'll dock it often but I was thinking about doing exactly this with a large microfiber cloth.

nampad

I would imagine Nintendos reasoning is that kids can't break the usb connector by bending it when yanking out the Switch. But yea, they could have come up with more elegant solution.

Instead, everyone is scratching their screens ;)
They had to knew about this issue but launched anyway.

ktroopa

I bought the official case that comes with a plastic one, yuk - will be returning it. Thanks to OP i will def add one now, have ordered the one mentioned by OP.

We need to protect our gaming investment, even if nintendo forgot/didnt bother to take proper steps :)

The_Lump

Banned
Not doubting those that have had issues, but I'm still failing to see how this happens.

I've taken mine in and out of the dock a dozen or so times so far (I also accidentally dropped it in the second time and nearly fainted!) I'm not being overly careful afaik.
So far, not a scratch. Not even a mark showing where it seems some people have had scratches.

Are we sure there isn't dirt or grit or something trapped between screen and dock causing this? Like how does a flat bit of plastic gouge out a thin scratch? (Genuine question)

You still get ugly scratches on the protector in stead of the screen itself. The best option is to prevent scratch to ever happen.

With all these hardware problems, Nintendo has a lot of works to do on the revision.

Top Bottom