• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Glix

Just to add to our knowledge I figured I'd report.

I have the screen protector that comes in this package:

Cleaning-Set.jpg

I played a four hour session with the Switch in the dock yesterday and have had no ill effects.

DavidDesu

So... to those saying it's worth buying a screen protector as its better than ruining a $300 device.. if the dock really is scratching the Switch so easily then I don't see why you're worrying about that 300.. to me if it's scratching simply from being used as intended and as advertised then it's Nintendo's problem and they should rightfully be the ones fixing it.

I'm going to use mine as is AND I've been taking extra care when docking and unlocking but if I end up with an actual scratch I feel I would be right in expecting Nintendo to fix my dock and replace my screen free of charge. Why there isn't soft rubber rollers on either side or some kind d of non hard plastic solution is beyond me. Even discreet rails on the back of the device so the front never moves and rocks forwards would have been good and in keeping with the Joycon rails solidity.

Hylian7

So... to those saying it's worth buying a screen protector as its better than ruining a $300 device.. if the dock really is scratching the Switch so easily then I don't see why you're worrying about that 300.. to me if it's scratching simply from being used as intended and as advertised then it's Nintendo's problem and they should rightfully be the ones fixing it.

I'm going to use mine as is AND I've been taking extra care when docking and unlocking but if I end up with an actual scratch I feel I would be right in expecting Nintendo to fix my dock and replace my screen free of charge. Why there isn't soft rubber rollers on either side or some kind d of non hard plastic solution is beyond me. Even discreet rails on the back of the device so the front never moves and rocks forwards would have been good and in keeping with the Joycon rails solidity.

The key word there is *should*. I would hope they would take care of it too, and send out new docks, but in the off chance they don't, I'll be glad I invested that $10.

me0wish

I'm trying my best to scratch me screen using the dock, and I can't, I really don't know how are people getting them. Really hope Nintendo will fix it for those with the issues.

benjammin

I agree completely with everything you've said, however I think there's a disconnect between what Nintendo SHOULD do and what they WILL do. I'd like to think they would replace or repair the console, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Kaibutsu

if I end up with an actual scratch I feel I would be right in expecting Nintendo to fix my dock and replace my screen free of charge.

Hah, good luck with that. The best chance you may have if in a few years a class action suit goes through and nintendo gives everyone $20

Fracas

#fuckonami
No issues with my dock scratching anything yet (though it is bent), but I think I'm gonna try sticking a couple furniture pads on the inside and see how it goes.

Cannot believe how garbage Nintendo QA was with this thing and the console as a whole.

Mouse Cop

This thread has scared the holy hell out of me. I've been playing with the Switch exclusively docked since launch, maybe undocking once or twice the first day, and one more time to show it off to a friend. Other than that, its been docked completely while I've been playing Zelda. I already ordered a screen protector, which won't come in for another week or so. I don't plan on taking it out anyway, since I'm waiting to buy a carrying case. For now, because of this thread, I've cut a piece of pillow cover to cover the screen while docking it and docked. Idk if this will cause any issues, but it gives me some piece of mind for now. Thinking of going out later and buy some electric tape, or some round cushion pads or something and cushion padding the shit out of my Switch.

As now though, happy to report there are no scratches. It does get really smudgy though, so I'm praying for the screen protector to come in ASAP. Also orders the USB-C extension which is how I'll play once it comes in until I buy the cushion stuff.

Seik

Banned
I'm trying my best to scratch me screen using the dock, and I can't, I really don't know how are people getting them. Really hope Nintendo will fix it for those with the issues.

Someone did that (Poppy) and ended up having scratch too later in the day. Don't pursue and just try having fun with it! :lol

Yes, but if you have to keep replacing protectors, what's the point?

You don't replace it? You deal with the scratches knowing the real screen is pristine.

ColdPizza

Banned

I'm curious if those with scratches have seams in their plastic on the docks that is unfinished or something that would cause those types of scratches.

Mouse Cop

Also, I've been reading that people's docks are bent? Mine seems to stand upright, not bent at all. I don't know if that's the issue causing the scratches and if I'm safe from that. Now I'm scared the pillow linen will overheat my switch and it'll explode.

No issues with my dock scratching anything yet (though it is bent), but I think I'm gonna try sticking a couple furniture pads on the inside and see how it goes.

Cannot believe how garbage Nintendo QA was with this thing and the console as a whole.

It's really infuriating with this and the joy-con issue. Both were reported before launch (I think) and I know I was taking a gamble. They knew if they addressed it people like me would have bailed on their pre-order.

TheFuzz

So is the general consensus that ANY screen protector will prevent scratches for the time being? I've got a glass protector coming but have that crappy PDP one on it with no issues so far.

Have there been any reports of scratches cutting through a plastic protector?

dolabla

I still have yet to use my dock. At first it was not because this thread, it was because I was waiting for my pro controller to get here. Now my pro controller is finally here and now I'm scared to dock my Switch because of this thread.

I did apply a screen protector (the Hori regular version) right out of the box to my Switch. Should I be good to go? Is it also scratching the back of the system?

Slaythe

I still have yet to use my dock. At first it was not because this thread, it was because I was waiting for my pro controller to get here. Now my pro controller is finally here and now I'm scared to dock my Switch because of this thread.

I did apply a screen protector (the Hori regular version) right out of the box to my Switch. Should I be good to go? Is it also scratching the back of the system?

Yeah...

If your dock isn't too bent, then clean it every time you use it before putting in the switch.

It's not the dock itself doing the damage, it's particles getting stuck on it.

Xion86

Ohh my Hori screen protector comes tomorrow now, will give it a try after failing the first time. But yeah, working as a Test Engineer, this really frustrates me, as surely you would test something like this multiple times with a few different docks prior to release (well I would).

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Is electrical tape still the recommended solution? Do you cover the whole rail with the tape, including the rubber feet at the bottom?

That's what I did with my dock, plus a plastic screen protector on the Switch, but now there's resistance at the bottom of the dock when I try to dock/undock the console... Not the end of the world, but still annoying. Especially considering my brand new $400 gadget absolutely SHOULDN'T be self-scratching...

Xion86

Is electrical tape still the recommended solution? Do you cover the whole rail with the tape, including the rubber feet at the bottom?

That's what I did with my dock, plus a plastic screen protector on the Switch, but now there's resistance at the bottom of the dock when I try to dock/undock the console... Not the end of the world, but still annoying. Especially considering my brand new $400 gadget absolutely SHOULDN'T be self-scratching...

I used clear sticky tape (sellotape) but did not cover the rubber at the bottom. It's given it a smoother edge, but funny enough, now if I take the Switch out the dock I get some long lines down the sides (well I did two days ago) :/ but they wipe away after trying quite hard to. Now I'm worried the underside of the tape will heat up and get quite sticky over time, so may remove it.

Slaythe

Tomorrow I'm going back to my parents.

There my godmother is pretty handy with tools and stuff.

I'll experiment and try to find solutions with her, including heating and rebending it.

Feel free to suggest solutions.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member

It seems counterproductive to me to put anything over the plastic rails since all it does it put more pressure on where it contacts the bezel.

Do we actually have evidence that the dock itself is scratching screens? Because judging from the photos it looks like something is gouging it. Like some debris or something between the rails and the front of the unit.

finalflame

Just to add to our knowledge I figured I'd report.

I have the screen protector that comes in this package:

Cleaning-Set.jpg

I played a four hour session with the Switch in the dock yesterday and have had no ill effects.

Neato, getting this soon so good to hear.

Nintendo is not going to pay to replace your screen if it's scratched. These are considered "cosmetic" damage and not covered under the terms of the limited warranty. Furthermore the warranty also does not cover "normal wear and tear" which this is surely considered.

I get that you feel Nintendo is obligated to rectify something they "caused," but I can assure you this isn't the position they will take nor is it a position which will hold up in a court of law. I do recommend contacting the BBB as well as writing a letter to Reggie Fils-Aime (no, he won't read it, but Nintendo's Executive Relations/office of the President surely will).

Legally Nintendo will be covered unless someone brings a class action suit against them, and I expect their customer service to hold that line.

dolabla

Yeah...

If your dock isn't too bent, then clean it every time you use it before putting in the switch.

It's not the dock itself doing the damage, it's particles getting stuck on it.

Gotcha. I'll give it a go.

I haven't even looked at it/taken it out of the box yet.

My dock is slightly bent, but so far no scratches at all, and I have docked/undocked mine a lot (although I primarily play mine as a portable). I may apply some felt to the dock, but so far, all is fine. I do hate that now every time I undock it, I'm checking it out for scratches. We really shouldn't even have to think about that.

Haines

Banned
I thought my dock was bent until I tried to take a picture.

The camera showed me it was straight.

Kind of funny. Must be an optical illusion.

No scratches here and I think think this entire thing is completely over blow.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
My dock is slightly bent, but so far no scratches at all, and I have docked/undocked mine a lot (although I primarily play mine as a portable). I may apply some felt to the dock, but so far, all is fine. I do hate that now every time I undock it, I'm checking it out for scratches. We really shouldn't even have to think about that.

I tried some moleskin which was pretty thin but even that made it feel like there was too much resistance getting the thing in and out. Contact between the screen and the dock is exactly what you don't want.

It really sounds like (unless there's something I've missed) that the issue is with debris getting caught between the rails of the dock and the bezel. As long as you take general care keeping the screen and dock clean a real scratch seems really unlikely.

Glix

If its particles that are doing it as a poster said above, then adding felt/e tape/microfiber to the inside of the dock will make the issue worse, not better, correct?

Hylian7

Yes, but if you have to keep replacing protectors, what's the point?

I haven't had to replace it yet? Even with the defect, it's not like replacing them will be a frequent occurrence.

If you let your switch screen get scratched once...then what's the point?

ITT I learned that a lot of you use the Switch as a portable. Mine has been hooked up to the TV since I got it and I have no intention to do otherwise. Zelda deserves a big screen!

McBryBry

I've got some felt taped on the inside with packing tape (looks god awful)

What have others been doing with felt? Just sliding it in with the console? Because this looks baaaaaaad

Toaster05

Going to echo the sentiment that Nintendo won't be repairing or replacing screens based on my own experience.

I was lucky enough to get hold on an ambassador edition of the New 3DS (directly from Nintendo) but was horrified to find that my unit had a scratch on the top screen. Contacted Nintendo support who told me categorically that they wouldn't repair at their expense nor replace.

By the time it got a general launch Nintendo would then allow me to send it to service centre but wanted nearly £50 to remedy the issue and all shipping costs were going to be on me.

So yeah, Nintendo ain't paying for your screen.

I did electrical tape down to the top of the rubber foot. I still have some tension but it's not too bad. I originally put it on the front and back side but then I had to kind of jam the switch into the dock and that seemed like it was almost definitely not helping anything.

I'll probably pull the tape off as soon as my screen protector comes and just see how it goes, because I kind of agree that additional pressure against the rails is probably less than ideal.

I just want it pristine while I wait for screen protector shipping so I'm just never undocking it again until I get the protector now that I have my pro controller.

Glix

That idea makes zero sense to me

Well it goes like this. The plastic of the dock doesn't scratch the screen but is a tight fit. So if any hard particles drift in there when the switch isn't docked and you put the switch in, the particle will scratch the screen.

Same as your microfiber cloth won't scratch a screen, but if there is a hard particle on the cloth, it can scratch.

So if you put something/anything in the dock to make the fit even tighter (but with cushion) and a hard particle then drifts in and gets stuck on the something/anything, you will still scratch the screen.

That's fine. You deal with that grief and I'll deal with my $10 screen protector. Nintendo customer service fucking sucks to argue with.

Jashobeam

what if i take an old t-shirt cut it up and cover the inside of the dock, would that work? I don't have my Switch yet btw. I'd imagine just a thin piece of fabric covering the inside should do the job wouldn't it?

vampyren

Neo Member
Yup, just ordered mine. I'll run my Kill-A-Watt with it later (Prime Same-day Delivery, woot!), to see the power draw to see if it matches the dock direct connection.

Exactly what i need to know, maybe start a new thread so people can find this useful information, this thread is getting way to big, i jump 10 page at a time to catch up with the new findings.

Guy on reddit chopped the front off, I like it kinda sad the actual dock isn't like this

haha that was my thoughts as well, just not sure i could cut it so clean. Will try the USB-C extender first though.

Yes I did. Not that it should matter.

I actually defended it above regarding scratches, but criticism is still deserved. Anyone who refuses to accept said criticism and plug their ears are doing the community no favors.

Totally agree with you, this is a design flaw and nothing anyone says matter. To be honest Nintendo isnt really that good at quality control when it comes to its handheld. I still get annoyed by the damn 3DS XL hindge that flaps. Also it did get a design change for getting scratches when it was closed. So ye they did it again, ignored to test it properly and check the manufacturing quality, also the design is just bad. Looks good but poorly executed.
Also personally i think they should have used glass. Sure it would break when dropped but then again Switch feels like a premium device but these cutting corners make it feel cheap.

So do you guys really value the dock stuff that much? Having a USB c extension cable fixes the problem completely.

Doesn't seem to be a consensus yet on which cable is going to be the most ideal/safe to use. I'll happily buy one once there is even though it's going to look stupid as hell and undermine the entire concept of the dock.

Top Bottom