• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smart Homes for the very Stable Genius Homeowner

I'm looking into the ecosystems and all these gadgets. My own area of need is with temperature control. I'm a renter with no access to a HVAC system, so I cannot do a Ecobee or Nest (even though they look really cool). I want to get some normal fans and make them "smart" by using smart plugs. But those are expensive, and then they need to talk to a "smart hub" thats wifi connected with the plugs. And then I need temperature sensors in the rooms in my house which also needs to be smart. And shit just seems complicated, expensive and like a lot of work for something so basic. I just want smart fans that can turn on by themselves when the temperature reaches a certain point. Its such a basic thing, and there is very few reasonable products that can do that. Not gonna get a 300-400 dollar Dyson voodoo vacuum cleaner.

We've heard about smart gadgets for years, and still it seems like that we are in the beta phase. I thought smart home gadgets would be cheaper and better, and besides lightning, I am not really sure if solutions are there. The tech is obviously there. It's more like that it just seems like we have not gotten good integrated AIO solutions that just makes it easier.

Why can't I just buy a smart fan without needing all this other shit? Or just have a smartplug with sensors within it?

Anyone here who has gone balls deep with smart homes? Do you fuck with it or nah?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You say you don't have access to a HVAC system - is that because there isn't one in your house? I rent, but still installed a Nest. It was super easy, and when I move out I'll disconnect it, reconnect the original thermostat, and take the Nest with me.

What you're trying to do with a bunch of smart plugs, fans, and temperature sensors seems complicated because it is.

Top Bottom