• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

Wonder Red's best chance is as an Assist Trophy.

Assist Trophy opportunity has come and gone already, I'd say. Mii costume or actual character seem to be the only possibilities left, and it needs to happen with this DLC. It certainly won't happen in future games.

Neoxon

Assist Trophy opportunity has come and gone already, I'd say. Mii costume or actual character seem to be the only possibilities left, and it needs to happen with this DLC. It certainly won't happen in future games.
Exactly. At least if Wonder Red becomes playable via Smash 4 DLC, he'll have some clout to return in future games (& maybe raise some W101 awareness). If he doesn't get in now, he & his entire franchise is screwed.

Unless Nintendo makes a sequel to W101, we won't get Wonder Red at all beyond a trophy, I think. If he makes it as DLC character in this game, I'd be surprised, but at least he'd then likely stay forever because of veteran status.

Neoxon

Unless Nintendo makes a sequel to W101, we won't get Wonder Red at all beyond a trophy, I think. If he makes it as DLC character in this game, I'd be surprised, but at least he'd then likely stay forever because of veteran status.
Based on the sheer amount of support Wonder Red is getting on GAF alone, he's at least doing decently in the ballot. If he made enough votes to be within Sakurai's consideration threshold depends on whatever that threshold is (if any) & if Sakurai can think of something creative for Wonder Red.

Also, in regards to ATs - if Prince Sablé, a character from a Japanese-only Game Boy game, can make it as an AT, then I'm sure that the lead character from a reasonably popular recent series can be an AT, too.
I think the main reason why Wonder Red didn't get AT'd is because of the series' recency (i.e. they settled on the AT roster before Wonder Red was considered). If Sakurai taps into the AT roster for Smash 5, then I wouldn't be massively surprised if Wonder Red would be elevated to AT status.
The fact we also got W101 music in the game kinda hints at that.

Neoxon

Also, in regards to ATs - if Prince Sablé, a character from a Japanese-only Game Boy game, can make it as an AT, then I'm sure that the lead character from a reasonably popular recent series can be an AT, too.
I think the main reason why Wonder Red didn't get AT'd is because of the series' recency (i.e. they settled on the AT roster before Wonder Red was considered). If Sakurai taps into the AT roster for Smash 5, then I wouldn't be massively surprised if Wonder Red would be elevated to AT status.
The fact we also got W101 music in the game kinda hints at that.
This is assuming that Wonder Red isn't DLC now. While this option isn't entirely likely, it is still possible.

Sponge

Banned
Eggman should be the second Sonic rep, if they ever have one.

Though Shadow would be hilarious just for the reactions.

Eggman would be so cool. Put him in an Egg Mobile and he could be sort of like Bowser Jr.

There's also an Egg Mobile design with legs if they wanted him to walk around.

eggmobile.jpg

Of course, the Wrecking Ball would be his Final Smash.

190902-son1_04.gif

This is assuming that Wonder Red isn't DLC now. While this option isn't entirely likely, it is still possible.

I thought it was obvious that this statement was in case Wonder Red wouldn't be playable, DLC for smash 4 or otherwise. :)

Eggman would be so cool. Put him in an Egg Mobile and he could be sort of like Bowser Jr.

I actually made a fan-made moveset for Robotnik. Instead of just the flying Egg Mobile I used the Egg Walker from Adventure 2 (I didn't know there was a version of the old one with legs!), and made it the Mobile for the Up B.
Almost all of the moves were based off of the variations of the Egg Mobile he used in the Genesis games (and the final smash was indeed the wrecking ball), with a few exceptions.

Anyway, if they'd do a second Sega rep, I would love it to be Ulala from Space Channel 5, Gilius from Golden Axe or Hornet from Daytona (it was in a fighting game before! And if not that, make it AGES from the kart racing game instead, an amalgam of the After Burner plane, the Hornet and the Dreamcast console, piloted by a Dreamcast memory unit). Or maybe Blaze from Streets of Rage.
Since I know my favourite Sega character, Slade from Shining Force II, will never make it into the game anyway, if any Shining character would make it, it wouldn't be him. Neither will one from Phantasy Star.

So PushDustin wrote another great article that is relevant to a recent discussion. It's about The Dangers of Online Polling.

I thought this bit was funny:

Of course GAF's is a Platinum character haha
Daisy is an alt (without the name)
Wonder Red has a trophy. (I know it doesn't count.)
K. Rool and Chrom got murdered by Miis.

Shovel Knight confirmed!!!!

I dunno why, but I have a good feeling about Shovel Knight. Maybe will get a Mii suit or trophy atleast. Maybe.

yoshiunity

What do people have against Daisy? I mean, I'm part of the "GAF <3's Wonder Red" push, and I want K. Rool more, but I'd rather have Daisy over most, including Chrom, Shovel Knight, or even Isaac. Again, just base her moveset off of the spin-offs ala Waluigi's AT and we're golden.

Also, on top of being a good character, Tumblr probably likes Daisy because she's more than cakes and kidnappings. She plays baseball/soccer, and punched out Bowser that one time. Tumblr doesn't hate Princess characters, they just hate traditional Disney-ish ones ala Peach. Thus, they love independent ones. They're thirst for Lucina pre-release put Horizon and Neiteio to shame, for example.

Thank you, my good man. Daisy get slammed but she's honestly one of the more interesting Mario characters in the spin-offs and actually has more potential for a moveset in Smash than people give her credit for, in my opinion. (Especially for a game where a good chunk of the characters had moves made for them to begin with.) And between her and Peach, she honestly stands out more. One actually expresses her more than the typical Mario cut and paste reactions. The other -- outside of the RPGs -- has a personality of a robot in a dress.

Her moveset can also be borrowed from Super Mario land with power-ups from the game. Plus since actually a character made made by Gunpei Yokoi, she could also use the Ultra Hand as a grab or something. There's always the possibility of her ending up as a Peach clone in Smash, but there's much more tools here that can be used to make her stand out whether people who don't want her in choose to acknowledge it or not. So people can their standards as the norm all they want and think it's stupid that Daisy fans want to see her in Smash, but nothing is set in stone and Sakurai w/team has surprised people a ton of times in the past for who gets in and who doesn't in this series.

Neoxon

Daisy is an alt (without the name)
Wonder Red has a trophy. (I know it doesn't count.)
K. Rool and Chrom got murdered by Miis.

Shovel Knight confirmed!!!!

I dunno why, but I have a good feeling about Shovel Knight. Maybe will get a Mii suit or trophy atleast. Maybe.
I mean, Sakurai did show some support towards indies, so maybe. Which reminds me, when's Shovel Knight out in Japan? Also, we can't be sure that Mii Costumes rule out a character as playable.

jph139

When you think about it, MOST of Smash 4's characters only became relevant after Brawl's release (or at least after Brawl was well into development).

Bowser Jr. (NSMB Series - 2006+)
Rosalina (Galaxy - 2007)
Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit - 2007)
Little Mac (Punch-Out!! Wii - 2009)
Shulk (Xenoblade - 2012)
Palutena & Dark Pit (Uprising - 2012)
Robin & Lucina (Awakening - 2013)
Greninja (X and Y - 2014)

The only "overdue/classic" characters were Villager, the Miis, Duck Hunt, and the three Third Party characters. Of the newcomers, 10/16 wouldn't have been an option for Brawl.

So let's say we get something similar for Smash 5. There will be new Pokemon and new Fire Emblem characters. There's Inkling and Isabelle, maybe Captain Toad will get a sequel, more Rhythm Heaven, Splatoon of course (could deserve two newcomers by the time Smash 5 comes around, who knows). And that's just for starters! Who knows what else will show up over the next ~5 years.

Toss in Dixie and K. Rool, a retro character or two, some more third parties. We're in good shape.

Neoxon

When you think about it, MOST of Smash 4's characters only became relevant after Brawl's release (or at least after Brawl was well into development).

Rosalina (Galaxy - 2007)
Shulk (Xenoblade - 2012)

The only "overdue/classic" characters were Villager, the Miis, Duck Hunt, and the three Third Party characters. Of the newcomers, 10/16 wouldn't have been an option for Brawl.

So let's say we get something similar for Smash 5. There will be new Pokemon and new Fire Emblem characters. There's Inkling and Isabelle, maybe Captain Toad will get a sequel, more Rhythm Heaven, Splatoon of course (could deserve two newcomers by the time Smash 5 comes around, who knows). And that's just for starters! Who knows what else will show up over the next ~5 years.

Toss in Dixie and K. Rool, a retro character or two, some more third parties. We're in good shape.
Again, that depends on who isn't used as DLC. So the likes of the Inklings, the Rhythm Heaven rep, Dixie, or King K. Rool may end up being used early as Smash 4 DLC. Though the rest could get into Smash 5 (I still stand by my point that the Inklings are more of a when than an if). As for third parties, your guess is as good as mine. The only companies that Nintendo's on somewhat good terms with that have yet to receive representation are Atlus & (to an extent, judging by their 3DS support & their oddly-early NX support) Square-Enix. If Nintendo mends fences with Ubisoft before the NX drops, we could see Rayman. But again, this is Sakurai we're talking about, so who knows what he's thinking. But I doubt that even he could get past Nintendo politics (as far as third party relations go).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Which post are you referring to?

No post, just the general notion people have towards roster additions in Smash. I remember people complaining about Rosalina getting in because "Daisy is older than her" or some shit like that.

Rosalina (Galaxy - 2007)
Shulk (Xenoblade - 2012)

Yeah, I've been mentioning this multiple times. Most of Nintendo's newcomers for Smash 4 are new or have been newly revived, which is a big hint towards it being extremely unlikely we'll see a lot more "classic" characters. That pool is almost entirely ceased, too. There's very few "classic" characters I consider to be missing from the roster (Toad in some shape, the 2 DK characters and Ridley are, imo, the main ones), the rest would all be occult retro characters like Game & Watch, ROB and Duck Hunt are.

So, for Smash 5's Nintendo newcomers, you can expect mostly characters from new IPs (e.g. Inklings), revived franchises (e.g. Chibi-Robo) or characters that had been lying dormant for a while but got revived recently in one or more installments of their series (e.g. Impa).

People complained about Rosalina?

Yes. Even here on GAF lol.

I don't think people mind the new characters just not before the small pool of old stars who are still waiting...K. Rool, Dixie, Toad, and Ridley if Sakurai gets a brain transplant.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh "old stars" can wait long if it meant getting characters who probably won't get in if the "only old people" mindset exists.

eggmobile.jpg

190902-son1_04.gif

Watch, if Eggman is in that egg mobile, that would be Sakurai's explanation on why he's one of the lighter fighters in the game for no real reason.

Even 3rd party wise there isn't too much left that feels justified..
i dunno about that. While so far Sakurai has picked big third parties as picks for top tier first parties die down, he might pick a few more third parties.

For DLC/Smash 5 I could easily see any of the following:
Indie Rep: (Shantae, Shovel Knight, Quote, Commander Video) Tho those series may be a bit too small. I feel like NOA atleast would push for a Indie rep.

Atlus Rep: Also small, but their mascot, Yu from Persona 4 (which is basically their mascot, sorry Jack Frost) is pretty big, and has lots of moveset potential. Additionally, for a series more Nintendo oritented, there is Etrian Odyssey which has tons of moveset potential depending on what class gets in. And maybe finally a black character lol. >_>

Square Enix Rep: Everyone always says Dragon Quest something, but it'd be Cloud Strife more than likely. Its clear Nintendo revelency wouldn't matter for someone that big. SE and Nintendo are on good terms. Etc.

Another Mega Man Rep: Wouldn't be surprising at all considering we are almost at the point at having all Mega Man Mii costumes available. Only StarForce and Volnutt remain. Plus ZX I guess even tho I don't think thats a Mega Man...and probably more I'm forgetting, but seriously theres alot.

Just any random third party that Sakurai plays and like enough. Yume Nikki is said to be similar to Earthbound mwahaha...:p

Golnei

Atlus Rep: Also small, but their mascot, Yu from Persona 4 (which is basically their mascot, sorry Jack Frost) is pretty big, and has lots of moveset potential. Additionally, for a series more Nintendo oritented, there is Etrian Odyssey which has tons of moveset potential depending on what class gets in. And maybe finally a black character lol. >_>

Square Enix Rep: Everyone always says Dragon Quest something, but it'd be Cloud Strife more than likely. Its clear Nintendo revelency wouldn't matter for someone that big. SE and Nintendo are on good terms. Etc.

Relevance to Nintendo might still be a factor there; seeing as neither are as universal as Pac-Man or personally connected to Sakurai as Snake/Kojima.

For the former, while an Atlus character appearing as the second Sega rep is possible, I'd still think Jack Frost has more of a chance than Yu. The main Persona games have never been on Nintendo consoles, but Jack Frost appears not only there, but also in the smaller spinoffs and collaborations which have consistently appeared on Nintendo platforms, like Devil Survivor, Strange Journey, SMTIV, #FE and Jack Bros. Along with having a more unique design and greater potential to represent the entire franchise, he's an established character with more history behind him than the protagonist of any one Persona game. Also, P4, huge as it is, will likely be taking a back seat to the spinoffs and sequels of 5 by the time the next Smash Bros. game is in development.

Also, considering how prominent Dragon Quest is in Japan and the strong connection to Nintendo the series has and will continue to have, I wouldn't discount a representative from there so quickly, either. Though ideally a Square-Enix representative would come from the Kingdom Hearts side of things - it's internationally popular, fairly present on Nintendo platforms and has a consistent, iconic lead character; if the rights didn't belong to Disney, it'd more than likely already be there.

In addition, I hope they consider adding third-party assist trophies not from series being actively represented with playable characters to the next game - the likes of Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, Viewtiful Joe, Neku Sakuraba, Kefka and Frog would have no trouble fitting into Smash, but would never come close to the status required to be considered for a character.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When Final Fantasy met Mario (Mario Slam Basketball) we had the generic characters of Warrior, Black Mage, White Mage etc

When Dragon Quest met Mario (Boom Street) we had a variety of characters, a good chunk from VIII.

If SE got a rep from either series I think that should give you an idea of who'l be the most likely. I don't see Cloud anywhere near being an obvious choice. He's very much associated with PlayStation.

Don't know why 'new school fanatics' feel so threatened by people wanting the last four or so old guys in the game and want to demean their fans, unless they think the roster will only grow by four next game hahaha. You will get your token new FE rep, token new Pokemon rep, token few shock characters, no need to fuss, or to think out side the box when speculating for that matter :/

No. Cloud is not gonna happen, since he would only represent one specific game. If Final Fantasy gets a character, you can expect it to be one of the generic class characters (Black Mage being, imo, the most likely), or a Moogle or Chocobo. The reason I say this is because when Mario and Final Fantasy crossed over in the Mario Basketball spin-off, and Fortune Street, we got those characters, and not named ones out of any installment of FF.
Heck, I've brought this up before, and I still think it's a distinct possibility, even more so now that we know that Sakurai loves drawing from the source material. We might get a character named "Warrior of Light" or something like that, who would have access to various classes. Either you select them at the start of the match (ala Mii classes), or I could even imagine Sakurai to introduce some sort of level-up mechanic, i.e. you level up as the match progresses, and depending on what kind of moves you used, you'll turn into a different class (so if you mostly used specials, you'll turn into a Black Mage or something).

Ridley fans and Rool fans are mostly the same huh

Thanks for lumping me in with the militant K. Rool fans. I merely said that I believe Ridley is one of the few "classic" characters who are left. I've never said that he would be likely to be made DLC/a newcomer in Smash 5, nor will I make myself any more delusions of him ever having a chance unless Nintendo releases a Metroid in which there's a Ridley whose size is reduced and body shape is slightly more humanoid (as opposed to lanky skeleton).
I also never insulted Sakurai for his reasoning or said anything bad about the game in regards to Ridley's absence.

When Final Fantasy met Mario (Mario Slam Basketball) we had the generic characters of Warrior, Black Mage, White Mage etc

When Dragon Quest met Mario (Boom Street) we had a variety of characters, a good chunk from VIII.

If SE got a rep from either series I think that should give you an idea of who'l be the most likely. I don't see Cloud anywhere near being an obvious choice. He's very much associated with PlayStation.

Yeah.
I think for the DQ people it was because DQ8 was out at the time. They did also have Slime though iirc.

kirby_fox

Banned
So the Smash Bros Facebook page posted about an hour ago reminding people about the poll and asking who they've been voting for. The comments are interesting. I suggest going to take a look, it's eye opening to see how people think about certain characters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah.
I think for the DQ people it was because DQ8 was out at the time. They did also have Slime though iirc.
That and IX and X used customisable avatars. Stella from IX was added to the Wii version of Boom Street though.

However it's also important to note DQVIII was the first DQ game for Europe so for a global appeal it would make sense to use a character from that point onwards. Of course global appeal and series distinction are not the same thing so a DQ I-III (the famous trilogy of the series) character could just be as likely.

So the Smash Bros Facebook page posted about an hour ago reminding people about the poll and asking who they've been voting for. The comments are interesting. I suggest going to take a look, it's eye opening to see how people think about certain characters.

Link?

That and IX and X used customisable avatars. Stella from IX was added to the Wii version of Boom Street though.

However it's also important to note DQVIII was the first DQ game for Europe so for a global appeal it would make sense to use a character from that point onwards. Of course global appeal and series distinction are not the same thing so a DQ I-III (the famous trilogy of the series) character could just be as likely.

Yeah. I'm not very familiar with the DQ series, which is why generally I think that Slime, being the mascot of the series, seems likely.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Honestly I would be extremely satisfied with a Wonderful 101 Mii Costume.

Same here. They would look badass with W101 costume!

Hmm, I should check it out soon.

No post, just the general notion people have towards roster additions in Smash. I remember people complaining about Rosalina getting in because "Daisy is older than her" or some shit like that.
A friend of mine attributed Rosalina's presence in Smash and the Mario spin-off's being proof that Nintendo was going downhill as a company. Not anything like the Wii U's issues, changing markets or anything like that, no, it's because they include cartoon characters they don't like in their multiplayer games.

Some people took that 'Rosalina is Nintendo's Lightning' bitching on /v/ at the time to heart.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A friend of mine attributed Rosalina's presence in Smash and the Mario spin-off's being proof that Nintendo was going downhill as a company. Not anything like the Wii U's issues, changing markets or anything like that, no, it's because they include cartoon characters they don't like in their multiplayer games.

Some people took that 'Rosalina is Nintendo's Lightning' bitching on /v/ at the time to heart.

Oh nice, I didn't know that your friend is MarioTehPlumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom