• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass on Switch is 40% off until July 4th (First Switch eShop Sale)

WesFX

Neo Member
I was super curious if this was the first sale. I just got a Switch, and thought the eShop may not be set to handle sales yet.

orioto

Good Art™
alright then

you're getting pretty hostile so I'll just apologize if I did anything to offend you, there was no malicious intent on my end

hope your day's going well

See

"That orioto dude makes good art, but doesn't seem to have a good attitude on some stuff. Sigh."

That's actually from a twitter guy, do you realize ? You're trying to make some point and then suddenly you're the only one arguing against everyone and the discussion never ends and people are actually talking shit about you on twitter.

Gaf is a fucking death trap

Mutant

Snake Pass is an interesting look at things to come in regards to resource intensive 3rd party titles that are ported across the traditional platforms and the Switch. It's sub native PS4 resolution indicates that it's pushing the hardware to it's limits, and for a fast port to Switch we get... A bit of a resolution decrease (but has temporal antialasing, which is somewhat like checkerboard) and a couple features turned off... And better foliage, which is odd.

Seems like a decent test to see how much you can enjoy sub HD resolution w/ temporal anti-alasing to compensate.

Snake Pass is an interesting look at things to come in regards to resource intensive 3rd party titles that are ported across the traditional platforms and the Switch. It's sub native PS4 resolution indicates that it's pushing the hardware to it's limits, and for a fast port to Switch we get... A bit of a resolution decrease (but has temporal antialasing, which is somewhat like checkerboard) and a couple features turned off... And better foliage, which is odd.

Seems like a decent test to see how much you can enjoy sub HD resolution w/ temporal anti-alasing to compensate.

What features is it missing again? Some kind of time trial?

WesFX

Neo Member

Questions: Native PS4 resolution is 1080p for this game, I guess? Does Switch run less than 1080p for this game while docked?

This game plays and looks awful in portable mode. Can't turn off rumble. Feels awful with the Joycons connected to the console.

'Kay, I was hoping the low resolution in handheld was just my eyes tricking me. (Of course until I saw the crisp graphic effects and text in contrast to the low-res gameplay) I just want to lay in bed while playing, so I'll have to deal, I suppose.

Picked it up today and played through 3-4 levels and man it's great. Can't beat 11.99 either! Always wanted to pick it up and this was a good impetus.

See

"That orioto dude makes good art, but doesn't seem to have a good attitude on some stuff. Sigh."

That's actually from a twitter guy, do you realize ? You're trying to make some point and then suddenly you're the only one arguing against everyone and the discussion never ends and people are actually talking shit about you on twitter.

I don't know what to tell you, other than maybe stop and take a look at what/how you post? Maybe there's a reason why people say what they say? I don't know but it seems to be bothering you for you to bring it up randomly here.

See

You do make good art and you do come off as someone with an attitude sometime or uppity. Need to be a bit more humble

Neiteio

I was super-hyped for this game, but didn't buy it since the Switch edition seemed suboptimal, and it doesn't feel like a game I'd like playing on my PS4 Pro.

The game looked interesting so I purchased it to reward being the first Switch game on sale. I'm glad I did. This game is giving me some puzzling platforming I didn't know I wanted.

Probably about the resolution on Switch and the initial framerate hiccups at launch that seems to be fixed now. I can understand that, honestly.

I didn't buy it yet because of the price but now it's pretty damn tempting.

Ah gotcha didn't realize it was at lower res.

Neiteio

Probably about the resolution on Switch and the initial framerate hiccups at launch that seems to be fixed now. I can understand that, honestly.

I didn't buy it yet because of the price but now it's pretty damn tempting.
Oh, did they fix the resolution and/or framerate? Is it on par with the other systems now? Also, the colors always looked a lot duller to me in what I've seen of the Switch version.

Minsc

Gold Member
This is really a game that they should put out a demo of the first three levels for free. I really don't know if it's something I would like or not... guess I can just watch a youtube lets play video, but i don't know. Be neat to see the quality of the graphics in portable mode without buying too, maybe it's not as big a deal to me as to others, etc.

This... actually doesn't sound bad at all. Seeing them side-by-side, and hearing Digital Foundry's analysis, the Switch version seems fine.

Did they ever correct the occasional frame pacing issue?

Anyone focusing on the handheld resolution hasn't spent much time with a 3DS or Vita.

J@hranimo

Banned
This... actually doesn't sound bad at all. Seeing them side-by-side, and hearing Digital Foundry's analysis, the Switch version seems fine.

Did they ever correct the occasional frame pacing issue?

Yes they have with the recent update. The levels with some of the worst frame pacing is now a smooth 30fps!

D.Lo

Hmm yeah looks fantastic docked, but sub-native handheld is not nice. Will only play it docked then!

Neiteio

Hmm yeah looks fantastic docked, but sub-native handheld is not nice. Will only play it docked then!
Digital Foundry says it actually looks better in handheld on the Switch's small 720p screen, rather than blown up on a TV.

They also say the lower resolution isn't an issue because of the temporal AA giving it a nice clean look.

Stoze

Anyone focusing on the handheld resolution hasn't spent much time with a 3DS or Vita.
Snake Pass is 844x475 on handheld if I'm not mistaken, which is worse than most Vita games and it's on a larger screen so significantly worse ppi. In fact Vita's ppi is close to the Switch's at native resolution (220 vs 237).

Just fyi, was curious and bored so I looked it up. I don't own a Vita or a Switch (but I do own Snake pass, and it's worth it despite the lower resolution).

Neiteio

Snake Pass is 844x475 on handheld if I'm not mistaken, which is worse than most Vita games and it's on a larger screen so significantly worse ppi. In fact Vita's ppi is close to the Switch's at native resolution (220 vs 237).

Just fyi, was curious and bored so I looked it up. I don't own a Vita or a Switch (but I do own Snake pass, and it's worth it despite the lower resolution).
Digital Foundry says it looks better in handheld mode — see this time-stamped link: https://youtu.be/-wBvsx84Dys?t=4m10s

Neiteio

Sure, but that doesn't refute anything in my post. Obviously 1200 x 675 blown up on a 1080p TV can look even worse.
Check out this part, though: https://youtu.be/-wBvsx84Dys?t=3m10s

What mitigates this concern is the business about Unreal Engine's temporal AA in combination with the game's soft materials. DF says this combination actually works better with a lower resolution, vs. a high resolution with these materials and low AA. Again, see the link.

I'm downloading the game, so I've yet to decide for myself. But I think this might be better than, say, Super Bomberman R in handheld mode, due to the AA and materials being used. Digital Foundry said it looks rather pleasing on Switch, in both modes.

D.Lo

Digital Foundry says it actually looks better in handheld on the Switch's small 720p screen, rather than blown up on a TV.

They also say the lower resolution isn't an issue because of the temporal AA giving it a nice clean look.
I have a different opinion. It looks grainy handheld and I can see scaling artefacts all over the place. On TV it looks great.

It is worse than native Vita games, but still looks much better than sub-native Vita games which dipped much lower.

Still, I'm not interested in sub-native on a handheld, looks various levels of gross either way.

Neiteio

yeah I also prefer how it looks on the tv. it's perfectly playable in handheld mode but it don't look too hot.
Hmm, sounds like a Bomberman situation then. That game looks a bit soft in handheld mode but perfectly sharp on a TV. I guess I'll have to see for myself when I test it tonight. It's downloading, and I just need to wrap up some stuff for work.

Seik

Banned
Hmm, sounds like a Bomberman situation then. That game looks a bit soft in handheld mode but perfectly sharp on a TV. I guess I'll have to see for myself when I test it tonight. It's downloading, and I just need to wrap up some stuff for work.

If you end up liking it please don't make a hype thread about how awesome it is so that it forces me to buy it like it did with Thumper!!! :p

For the record though, Thumper was really good.

Dierce

Anyone's joycon vibrating like crazy and making noise in this game? Read that there was an issue but I'm not sure if they patched it yet.

Top Bottom