• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So.... I inherited an old Japanese Game Center

Hey if you need employee's I'm looking for a job lol.
seriously hire me and get me out of this town!

Seems like a cool thing to inherit if you are willing to put in the work with it. Seems like you have some cool titles already just a matter of them working/upkeep and what not.

Is the area a good game center area? aka kids/teens/people with nothing to do after work?

dmr87

NeoGAF Arcade, relaunch and invite everyone.

KGL.jpg

The Grid is open.

We all know what will happen. You will plug in a machine, turn it on during a lightning storm, and be transported into a magical video game land where hilarity will ensue for 22 minutes each week while learning a valuable lesson. Blah,blah,blah. Just joking I'm so jealous right now:(

Wow. Keep us updated on what you plan on selling. I'm admittedly not a big arcade player but I'd love to set up a cab for playing shmups.

That is a good mix of items in that arcade but I'm not sure how it would be profitable unless you switched up to some more modern games and cabs. Fire them up and see what needs maintenance. Maintaining those types of cabs is pretty easy except for things like blown monitors. You could easily sell those cabs as a group if you shipped them to the US. Many forums like Arcade Otaku and Neo-Geo.com occasionally do group buys of arcade cabinets. Take a full inventory of everything and if it works.

I'm not trying to be a downer but if you have no experience with arcade machines I would advise you to sell the games apart from the cabs as they will net you a decent amount if sold to collectors in the US. This all depends on the games though as stuff like shmups will net you a much higher payout than older Capcom fighters for instance. No matter if you try to run the arcade or piece it out for sale it will be a lot of hard work and I wish you luck.

If you want any advice on selling or repair my hobby is collecting and repairing Japanese candy cabs and games. I'm honestly not looking to buy anything as I have too many cabs already and I'm actually slimming down my game collection. I'm just offering my knowledge if you really are looking for some help. I don't live in Japan so I can only offer my advice over PM.

Wereroku

That is a good mix of items in that arcade but I'm not sure how it would be profitable unless you switched up to some more modern games and cabs. Fire them up and see what needs maintenance. Maintaining those types of cabs is pretty easy except for things like blown monitors. You could easily sell those cabs as a group if you shipped them to the US. Many forums like Arcade Otaku and Neo-Geo.com occasionally do group buys of arcade cabinets. Take a full inventory of everything and if it works.

I'm not trying to be a downer but if you have no experience with arcade machines I would advise you to sell the games apart from the cabs as they will net you a decent amount if sold to collectors in the US. This all depends on the games though as stuff like shmups will net you a much higher payout than older Capcom fighters for instance. No matter if you try to run the arcade or piece it out for sale it will be a lot of hard work and I wish you luck.

If you want any advice on selling or repair my hobby is collecting and repairing Japanese candy cabs and games. I'm honestly not looking to buy anything as I have too many cabs already and I'm actually slimming down my game collection. I'm just offering my knowledge if you really are looking for some help. I don't live in Japan so I can only offer my advice over PM.

Wouldn't it be a bad idea to try firing them on before getting maintenance on the cabs? I had a friend who burned out a board because of some shorted wires I can only imagine what some of the power supplies might be like on those suckers. I would assume all the capcom boards are dead also there is almost certainly blown capacitors all over the place. I would say spend the money to get a professional to go through the place with you and look for any obvious problems while getting estimates as well.

Anustart

Put up a fake wall/enclosure, move all the games in to it. When video games are inevitably banned you can have a gaming speakeasy!

Wouldn't it be a bad idea to try firing them on before getting maintenance on the cabs? I had a friend who burned out a board because of some shorted wires I can only imagine what some of the power supplies might be like on those suckers. I would assume all the capcom boards are dead also there is almost certainly blown capacitors all over the place. I would say spend the money to get a professional to go through the place with you and look for any obvious problems while getting estimates as well.

The best thing to do is to get a cheap test board for jamma/jvs and find a a couple cabs that work without issue and then use those cabs to test the rest of the boards unless there is already a test rig in the back of the center which is a good possibility. It is true that most of the Capcom CPS2 games have already suicided. It is easy enough to get those games phoenixed though while still keeping the original ROMs. As I said, this will be a lot of work no matter which option the OP chooses to go with. As cool as it would be to own an arcade in Japan, it is a hard business to make profitable without the right games to bring customers through the door.

Getting an electrician to come in might be a good idea due to grounding issues with some of the older candy cabs. The first thing I did with all of my cabs was make sure everything was properly grounded.

MADGAME

Congratulations! Very cool; certainly would a dream come true for a lot of people reading this. Hope you have fun and success with this fortunate event.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Please don't just sell the individual units.

A videoblog series of your attempts to renovate, update and reopen would be one of my favorite things ever.

Then someday I'll make a movie out of it. Like We Bought A Zoo but only with a Japanese arcade.

Heck, you if kickstarted the venture I'd chip in $$$

I would give almost anything just to try and fail at this opportunity, OP.

Don't sell the games - try to revive the arcade and run it!

Drencrom

Please don't just sell the individual units.

A videoblog series of your attempts to renovate, update and reopen would be one of my favorite things ever.

Then someday I'll make a movie out of it. Like We Bought A Zoo but only with a Japanese arcade.

Heck, you if kickstarted the venture I'd chip in $$$

Kickstarter isn't a bad idea

I think someone already asked, but do you get the floors too? Like, are those two floors yours now or just the machines?

Depending on how old you are and what you have in mind for your future, if you now own the floors and the machines I would say dont sell. Owning property is a big deal. You will find some way to use it.

If it's just the machines, then keep what you want, sell the rest, and use the money to invest in the Japanese stock market.

Definitely would be interested in seeing a sale list should you get everything identified and if you intend to sell. system11 already offered assistance on this earlier in thread, and he's about as authoritative a resource as you can get.

OP if you happen to have a jubeat cabinet I am seriously considering to pay you money for that.

Uhhhh, you did read the part where it closed in the early 90s, right? That's nearly 20 years before jubeat came into existence. Hell, that's before beatmania existed...

Hit up as many arcades as you can in the area and fill yours with the amazing obscure games they don't have (I'll send you a list), then become a huge success. Once I move there I'll stop by everyday. Thanks in advance, man. But not really.

Anyway, have fun exploring opportunities with what you have. I have fond memories of exploring the nooks and crannies of Osaka-- Umeda, Nipponbashi, Nanba-- sifting out some seriously sweet arcades. I mean Grade-A classic stuff from Capcom, Cave, Irem, Namco, Sega, SNK, Toaplan (surprisingly!), Taito, Tecmo-- any hit from any developer back in the day was nestled somewhere in that city, even uncommon fighters like Breaker's Revenge, Asura Blade, Fighter's History Dynamite, and STGs like Gun and Frontier, R-Type Leo and Varth. Not Raizing, though. Apparently there was some collective agreement to never have their games on rotation.

In conclusion, reading this topic brought back a lot of cool memories and now I'm a little sad. Good luck on your arcade endeavors. I'll live vicariously through you.

I have no real advice, except that I would do everything possible to preserve that Game Center. They're a dying breed and you've just inherited a gold mine. Hopefully you can find a dedicated partner to help you. Incredible news either way.

I know it's a long shot, but you should hit up Luke Morse on YouTube. He collects and restores old cabs and PCBs. I believe he lives in a Tokyo suburb as well.

DrunkDan

Regardless of what you choose to do, good luck.

There are several possibilities so hopefully whichever you choose works out for you. I'd love to inherit even one of those so I'm totally jealous too.

Not that I have the space for one even if I did.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I know it's a long shot, but you should hit up Luke Morse on YouTube. He collects and restores old cabs and PCBs. I believe he lives in a Tokyo suburb as well.

I second this.

...and in the finale episode, his girlfriend claims her rightful ownership of the now thriving retro arcade cafe because everything is in her family's name anyway. He was being used as a workhorse the whole time as she laughs to the bank :(

Top Bottom