• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, uh, what happened to all of the Black sitcoms after the 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

TV has definitely whitened over the years. I can't imagine The Proud Family airing today. It would be seen as a black show instead of the kid's show that people saw before.

I still can't forget how they randomly switched the actress of the daughter and acted like nothing happened.

They made a joke about it and they passed it off as Claire doing something with her hair, sort of how they made Little Nicky 4 years older in a new Simpson in Freah Prince. I find it interesting how many black sitcoms made their way to the UK. Also I find it weird how much TV I watched. I recall watching:

Hanging with Mr Cooper (Vanessa was the sexiest woman alive)
Fresh Prince
the Parkers
One on one
My wife and kids
Steve Harvey show
Malcolm and Eddie
Cosby Show
Different world was before my time
Moesha
my cousin Skeeter
Keenan and Kel
I think there was a Jamie Foxx show

Dabanton

'Ratchetness' happened. It's telling that a lot of those black sitcoms showed black people who lived well, usually in nice areas and who had morals and a sense of fair play.

Then TV companies realised you could have stuff like Basketball Wives and Love & Hip Hop and make even more paper.

And we get to see black people act the fool on TV.

TV has definitely whitened over the years. I can't imagine The Proud Family airing today. It would be seen as a black show instead of the kid's show that people saw before.

I still can't forget how they randomly switched the actress of the daughter and acted like nothing happened.

The ol' Aunt Viv switcheroo

Ovid

Not sure if you guys know about it but there was a show late 80's called 227... by FAR my favorite black sitcoms of all time. It is so underrated
Yeah, 227 was good. Prior to syndication, it used to come on NBC. So did Amen.

akira28

UPN got shut down.

yeah UPN was considered a "black channel" when I thought it was just Paramounts channel that happened to have a lot of shows starring black people.

then the whole UPN/WB thing happened and with it came a complete demographics shift. (viacom imploding and becoming the thing that it and we all hate)

Cipherr

'Ratchetness' happened. It's telling that a lot of those black sitcoms showed black people who lived well, usually in nice areas and who had morals and a sense of fair play.

Then TV companies realised you could have stuff like Basketball Wives and Love & Hip Hop and make even more paper.

And we get to see black people act the fool on TV.

I am irrationally bitter about that trend of reality TV for Black television shows. I loathe it. A part of me just feels like I'm getting old when I bitch about the contrast between trash like Basketball Wives and Fresh Prince, but a larger part of me just thinks its sad and needs to stop.

ISOM

I think House of Payne, which came out in the 00's, is the longest running black sitcom by episodes. Its garbage, but honestly most sitcoms are.

House of Payne was truly garbage. I watched at least an episode or more of every show on the OP's list while HOP, I barely watched one episode. I couldn't get through one.

There were a lot of black sitcoms, but there were also way too many white-only sitcoms in the 90s, so I don't see the 90s as a golden age, other than for sitcoms in general.

Ovid

I am irrationally bitter about that trend of reality TV for Black television shows. I loathe it. A part of me just feels like I'm getting old when I bitch about the contrast between trash like Basketball Wives and Fresh Prince, but a larger part of me just thinks its sad and needs to stop.
For people who are not around black people, those shows are how they perceive us. That's not a good thing because we look terrible in them.

They made a joke about it and they passed it off as Claire doing something with her hair, sort of how they made Little Nicky 4 years older in a new Simpson in Freah Prince. I find it interesting how many black sitcoms made their way to the UK. Also I find it weird how much TV I watched. I recall watching:

Hanging with Mr Cooper (Vanessa was the sexiest woman alive)
Fresh Prince
the Parkers
One on one
My wife and kids
Steve Harvey show
Malcolm and Eddie
Cosby Show
Different world was before my time
Moesha
my cousin Skeeter
Keenan and Kel
I think there was a Jamie Foxx show

It's true, I used to watch multiple black sitcoms per day on channels like Trouble,which I don't think even exists any more and Nick

Sister Sister
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Martin
Kenan & Kel
The Wayans Bros
Moesha
My wife and kids
Steve Harvey show

UPN was pretty much all black sitcoms, and they shut all that shit down when they merged with the WB

This is the correct answer. I was looking at a lot of that and was saying "Those are all UPN shows".

The WB itself went the way of the dodo and was branded into the CW.

edit: Y'all forgot a few

homeboys20in20outer20space_andrews_large.jpg.CROP.hd-large.jpg

pfeiffer.jpg

cast.jpg

For people who are not around black people, those shows are how they perceive us. That's not a good thing because we look terrible in them.

And what's crazy is that there are still a surprising number of people who haven't really interacted with black people before. I had a college friend from Minnesota who had no black friends. I was her first black friend. At the age of 18! Wtf?!

Bleepey

It's true, I used to watch multiple black sitcoms per day on channels like Trouble,which I don't think even exists any more and Nick

Sister Sister
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Martin
Kenan & Kel
The Wayans Bros
Moesha
My wife and kids
Steve Harvey show

You reminded me of Smart Guy.

Trouble was the best thing channel. I watched like 7 channels as a kid. Sky 1, sci fi, trouble, fox kids, Cartoon Network and I am sure I forgot two or so channels. I also recall the LL Cool J show with Carlton in everything but name (In the House).

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
We promoted them, but out here in Colorado they didn't even post a fraction of the Smackdown numbers.

blaunch.jpg

goode.jpg

goodnews.jpg

maleddie.jpg

Regional variations like this made demographically targeted programming a real challenge for UPN. There were markets that were asking for partial network affiliation so they could run movie or syndication on those nights to post better ratings, and just run Weds/Thurs UPN for Trek and Smackdown.

:(

Ovid

We promoted them, but out here in Colorado they didn't even post a fraction of the Smackdown numbers.

blaunch.jpg

goode.jpg

goodnews.jpg

maleddie.jpg

Regional variations like this made demographically targeted programming a real challenge for UPN. There were markets that were asking for partial network affiliation so they could run movie or syndication on those nights to post better ratings, and just run Weds/Thurs UPN for Trek and Smackdown.

:(
Good News? Wow, I never heard of that show.

Puruzi

Banned
Everybody Hate Chris and Bernie Mac are the GOATS

Chris is extremely relateable and Bernie Mac is just just straight up comedy gold

Galang

Banned
The Parkers never gets enough credit. The storylines were over the top compared to a lot of shows at that time and Monique's obsession with the professor was brilliantly psychotic; I loved it! The professor's relationship with monique was one of the most iconic "relationships" of that era

Walpurgis

Banned
Everybody Hate Chris and Bernie Mac are the GOATS

Chris is extremely relateable and Bernie Mac is just just straight up comedy gold

I loved Bernie Mac. It was a lot like Malcolm in the Middle, now that I think about it. Whenever an episode ended, I always wanted more.

I was pretty sad when Bernie Mac died so I tried to watch his final movie, Soul Men. It looked fun and even had Snakes on a Plane. Unfortunately, I was never able to finish it because there was a nude sex scene early on in the film that shook me to my core.

Everybody Hates Chris was amazing. Sigh, TV comedy has really declined.

Bruh-man was too real.

tumblr_llo3alf0Rr1qhw5f6.gif

How many times did Martin effectively jump the shark?

I love that show but goddamn there are some stupid episodes.

Two Words

Reality TV killed all the sitcoms.

I try to not be judgmental about people's tastes, but it's hard for me to not be judgmental when it comes to reality tv. Any time I'm around people watching it, I just don't get how people can watch random people pretending to be mad about some stupid shit somebody did or didn't do.

Infinite

TV kinda moved away from the Sitcom format. The CW network at one point had black shows like everybody hates Chris, my wife and kids, and the game but then the network decided to move away from that format and start doing hour long dramas and those shows weren't renewed.

element

I try to not be judgmental about people's tastes, but it's hard for me to not be judgmental when it comes to reality tv. Any time I'm around people watching it, I just don't get how people can watch random people pretending to be mad about some stupid shit somebody did or didn't do.
There are two types of reality TV, talent/competition and reality drama. I personally don't care for those, but those shows typically film the worst in people and target the worst in people.

Rembrandt

Banned
I understand you now and honestly feel that's a better way of creating those types of shows than sticking to stereotypes. I mean, I got nothing against Martin or The Waynes Brothers, actually really like both those shows, but I like the idea of anyone of any color being able to relate to someone based on their life and personality, rather than just the color of their skin and a stereotypical way of growing up for that type of person.

i don't think anyone like stereotypical black shows. the waynes bros was surprisingly good at subverting this for being so black in other ways. in the same show that had comedy aimed towards black people (while still being generally accessible), they had an episode about marlon being used to sell malt liquor to black people and episodes about shaun being a token employee.

it was a really, really underrated and underappreciated show. I wish they came together and made some good movies because I know they can, hell, Don't Be A Menace and Scary Movie were solid.

Shock value, basically. Add in the fact that, comparatively, reality shows were easier to make and you had a recipe for success. Now reality shows are as scripted as sitcoms were back then. It's an odd cycle.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Shock value, basically. Add in the fact that, comparatively, reality shows were easier to make and you had a recipe for success. Now reality shows are as scripted as sitcoms were back then. It's an odd cycle.

The rise of Reality Tv was in part prompted by a series of writer and actor strikes at the time, too.

Samara

Damn, I completely forgot about cousin skeeter. Kept waiting for the episode where they explained how he turned into a puppet.
Cousin-Skeeter-480x321.jpg

FyreWulff

Reality shows are the new wrestling. Showdowns and fights that people still believe are real. Even wrestling moved on from that.

Timu

The Parkers never gets enough credit. The storylines were over the top compared to a lot of shows at that time and Monique's obsession with the professor was brilliantly psychotic; I loved it! The professor's relationship with monique was one of the most iconic "relationships" of that era
I remember that show!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom