• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So which city now claims the mantle as worst sport's town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

Fantomas

The Vikings have been to the playoffs 26 times and played in 4 Super Bowls but have never won it.

The Twins have won two World Series, 87 and 91, and were doing ok for a bit there with their playoff appearances last decade, but they really suck now.

The Timberwolves haven't been to the playoffs in over 10 years and only ever made it to the conference finals once where they got ousted by Kobe and the Lakers.

I'm going with my home state on this one.

Sephzilla

Red Wings with two Cups in the 2000s, plus the Pistons with a title in 2004. Tigers making (and losing) some World Series appearances lately, too.

Yeah, I revised my comment to mention Minnesota because I sorta forgot the Tigers and Red Wings. The Lions cloud a lot of shit lol.

It's still Cleveland.

They paid $100,000 for an advanced analysis of which quarterback to draft, then they took a homeless man’s advice instead.

That’s the punchline for the Cleveland Browns, who dared to take electrifying, opinion-dividing quarterback Johnny Manziel with the 22nd overall pick in the NFL Draft Thursday night after a flurry of trades — and some very interesting avenues of research.

During the ESPN broadcast, reporter Sal Paolantonio related a bizarre story he heard from Browns owner Jimmy Haslam.

“Here is Cleveland, everywhere I go, people know me,” Haslam reportedly told ESPN, “and I was out to dinner recently and a homeless person was out on the street, looked up at me, and said, ‘Draft Manziel,’ just like that,” and that convinced him that the Cleveland Browns’ fans wanted Manziel.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Lol. Not even remotely true.

edit: Any the real answer on the sport drought.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/now-that-cleveland-has-won-a-championship-which-city-has-the-longest-title-drought

1. Cincinnati: 26 years
2. Minneapolis-St. Paul: 25 years
3. Washington D.C.: 25 years
4. Toronto: 23 years
5. Atlanta: 21 years

I think I've gotta give it to DC out of this list. The only one of those cities represented in all 4 major sports. Although, to be fair, the Nationals haven't been around all that long.

I think I've gotta give it to DC out of this list. The only one of those cities represented in all 4 major sports. Although, to be fair, the Nationals haven't been around all that long.

They had the Washington Senators for 60 years and they were a dumpster team in that time, so that should factor in.

Philadelphia is a GREAT sports town.

The problem is the teams in the town are terrible right now.

But the fans are always there, cheering or booing, depending on what's happening. The sports media is wild too - talk radio, newspapers, sports blogs... it's a solid sports town.

IMO, a BAD sports town is a town where nobody really cares about the teams, even if they are winning a lot. Or the fans show no interest in anything until their team is in a championship game of some sort. Then all of a sudden the frontrunners come out of the closet and act like they're die-hard fans. Those are the phony sports towns/fans.

Ganhyun

Lol. Not even remotely true.

edit: Any the real answer on the sport drought.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/now-that-cleveland-has-won-a-championship-which-city-has-the-longest-title-drought

1. Cincinnati: 26 years
2. Minneapolis-St. Paul: 25 years
3. Washington D.C.: 25 years
4. Toronto: 23 years
5. Atlanta: 21 years

Some good choices there. Hopefully one of the Atlanta teams will win something in the next couple of years.

DC United won the MLS Cup in 2004.

But is MLS considered a big deal by most people? 9(Personally I think it counts and they shouldn't be on the list)

Gotta go with San Diego. They haven't won a championship in over 50 years and there's nothing on the horizon that looks like that will be changing anytime soon.

hoserx

Even though Cleveland won they are still a terrible sports town. One championship doesn't change that

Do you even know what makes up a great sports town? We show up for our teams every single year no matter what. We've lost for years and we are still fans. THAT is a great sports town. Winning doesn't make the town great. Philadelphia has lost a lot but they are a GREAT sports town with rabid fans.

Jag

Its got to be a Florida team.

Not really. Heat have won 3 Championships in the last 10 years. Marlins won 2 World Series and of course the Dolphins still hold the perfect season record. It's a pretty good sports town.

Heat are 6 out of 30 in overall attendance without a guy named Lebron.

DrMungo

Buffalo - at least in the other cities there have been titles. And when the Bills lose, its a long cold winter.

STL lost the Rams because Kroenke gave absolute no fucks about the quality of football players and coach.

He blamed the plummeting attendee rates on the fans but people still gave a fuck, Kroenke never did.

Brinbe

What the fuck are you even discussing in this topic? What do do you mean by worst? Worst drought? worst fans? Worst drought is easy to google, worst fans is a subjective topic where everyone has different criteria. I don't think any city has had it quite as bad as Cleveland. The Reds in 1990/The Twins in 91/Redskins in 91/Jays in 93/Braves in 96 aren't all that long ago.

Buffalo's had it pretty bad, but those guys still turn out every week to the Ralph and entertain the rest of the nation with the stupidest tailgate ever.

Other cities like Philly can't be considered. They just won a WS in 08 lol. And fuck off with the worst fans shit. They're not any worse than the idiots in other cities. At least they turn up to watch.

Anyway, worst fans are those who don't turn out at all and that's probably like Atlanta or Miami.

Wray

Its always been Buffalo. Even before last night. Come on OP. Get better at sports history. Wide Right. No Goal. Music City Miracle.

Surely it's still Cleaveland? They have the Browns.

What the fuck are you even discussing in this topic? What do do you mean by worst? Worst drought? worst fans?

Worst drought is easy to google, worst fans is a subjective topic where everyone has different criteria.

I don't think any city has had it quite as bad as Cleveland. The Reds in 1990/The Twins in 91/Redskins in 91/Jays in 93/Braves in 96 aren't all that long ago.
There are people legally drinking in bars right now who weren't able to form memories for any of those events.

Toronto is the worst sports town.

It's not even close.

Toronto Baseball:

14-google-baseball.w529.h352.jpg

Toronto Hockey:

9726397-619x336.jpg

Toronto Baske... oh this one's too easy.

Even Toronto's lacrosse team is terrible.

Kusagari

It's San Diego.

That run of the Chargers being "the most talented team" every year and not even making the Super Bowl might make them some of the biggest chokers in sports history.

Brinbe

Surely it's still Cleaveland? They have the Browns.

There are people legally drinking in bars right now who weren't able to form memories for any of those events.

Oh woe is them. Fuck outta here. There are entire cities (like San Diego/Buffalo) that haven't won ANYTHING in 50 years. Wait another 30 or so years and then we'll talk about long droughts.

And at least San Diego is a beautiful, sunny city. Buffalo is Buffalo... I'd say we have a winner.

Cardinals fans and Yankees fans are cut from the same cloth. The same stupid, entitled, cloth.

I feel like the Yanks fans have way worst entitlement issues with players.

I seem to remember two or three highly liked players on the Cards suddenly got traded and the news stations in the STL talked about for like 10 minutes or so. 2013 I wanna say.

Cards' fans get way to attached to decent players waaaay to easily.

Oh woe is them. Fuck outta here. There are entire cities (like San Diego/Buffalo) that haven't won ANYTHING in 50 years. Wait another 30 or so years and then we'll talk about long droughts.
I'm just saying that 20 years is a very very long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom