• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some more details about Gears of War (brutal, no open world)

Jesb

Not sure why there was alot of negativity to gears being more open. I thought it was totally fine and added something fresh to the series.

salva

God I can't wait for this
but down boy, this is years away
public GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Gears 5 tried open world and it went as horrific as you would think. It’s the only gears game I never completed.
The red sand had its moments, but it didn’t go anywhere. It was cool to look at. It felt like aimlessly going nowhere just to get somewhere to start exploring.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Gold Member
As long as it gives us Gears 1 and 2 vibes, or just has a horde mode and classic gears MP I’m absolutely there day -1

I have more faith in coalition with this project than xbox’s other two trinity developers (turn 10 and 343)

Last edited:
So long as they nail the vibe and provide solid couch and online co-op, I'm here for it. First game was one of my favorite co-op experiences of all time.

peish

Gold Member
No open world is good, sick of fetching a to b.

Just hope the battle maps are big, destructible with challenging AI and emergent firefights

March Climber

Gold Member
Not sure why there was alot of negativity to gears being more open. I thought it was totally fine and added something fresh to the series.
I liked Gears 5, but even I can admit they didn’t know how to do open world properly. The ‘world’ was just giant open areas with checkpoints that would hallway into linear levels. Oddly enough, it reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus with how empty it was in long stretches between those linear sections, except it didn’t quite have the mystique of something like SoTC.

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
No open world...and Thank God fir that.So tired of open world bloated garbage.

Gimme a 10-20 hour campaign masterpiece instead. Can't wait to hear Marcus and Dom banter together again.
Exactly. This being a campaign of 20-30 hours max would be great, I don't need this to be any longer. I'd be fine with a 15 hour campaign tbh. Would also make for a shorter development time. I hope they don't bloat this up.

Damn, misread that as open world game. The semi open world of 5 was a great change of pace. Maybe the set pieces and narrative will make up for it.

Vick

All good, game sounds perfect so far.

Yet again, a simple game in the veins of Gears 1 and 3 with tight pacing, solid gunplay, mesmerizing graphics and no modern bullshit would be MORE than enough to make me super happy.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Bring me back classic gameplay. Don't chase trends. Just make the best gears of war game you can.

Thanks

I have faith in the coalition.

dEvAnGeL

If you think about it. This is also a good opportunity for them to introduce the series into new platforms. This will literally become the game that starts it all. Super exited for it.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
After their last complete ass attempt at "open world" this sounds like fire to me (y)🔥

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Enough with the open world bullshit. This is the right move for this franchise

Also, the brutality needs to be on par with the original game. Heavy and dirty

Sounds good in text but it's just words and a trailer and Gears 4 is as linear as from Coalition that set out to do Gears right and missed. Perhaps with enough time and fan feedback they have this now, perhaps this ip can have a second wave that's worthy of the first 3, we'll see.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Can't wait for gears E-day, I already know when I'm playing the multiplayer, nothing else will matter, what worries me a little 👀

Can't wait for the campaign too!

xrnzaaas

No open world is awesome. It absolutely killed the pacing in Gears 5, just like the slow walking sections clearly inspired by Sony's narrative games. Gears should have an action packed campaign from beginning to end.

SCB3

I'm just glad they brought back the name Gears of War

I've been wanting the E-Day stuff for years, if you've ever read the Novels, they do a great job of building it up

Good, the open world areas in Gears 5 had no purpose other than to increase the length of the game. Hivebusters was better than the base game for that reason alone. Hivebusters was the most fun I have had with the franchise since 3 so unlike 343, they have proven they can do it, they just need to expand upon it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I need to see some gameplay to check if it is just gears 1 with better graphic.

Still fighting the boring ass locusts doesn't excite me at all.

I wanted a rehaul but i think they just made an even more classic gears experience.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
Good choice for reverting towards more linear game. This open world-ish format didn't worked in Gears 5

Good to see them get back to their roots. Was so tired of where they were going with Gears 5 and Kait Diaz. Glad to see they apparently listened to the consumers who have always supported them. Marcus Fenix and Dom are back!

Last edited:
Top Bottom