• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 21.3 Million PS3's sold Worldwide

obaidr said:
there was an articel on heise.de (#1 website for internet/technology news and very thruthfull) and they said they cut the PS3 manufacturing costs by 35% since last year and pay now slightly under 400€.
You forget that sony doesn't sell PS3 directly to the consumers. They sell them to retailers who get their a cut of the money as well.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
stuburns said:
I don't think him saying that proves Sony thought it. What else is he going to say, "yeah, we'll probably come in third this time because of the product costs, but you know, win some lose some, at least BluRay'll take off".

Yea but it doesn't disprove it either. Fact of the matter is I always see people using the price and late launch as arguments to which the PS3 should be looked at as a success instead of a failure. If you don't take in the power of their brand equity built from the previous decade then sure. Otherwise it falls flat on its face.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
szaromir said:

Wrong.

That was in April 2006.

Hirai said:
KH: Well, the numbers change depending on how you slice and dice the data. What I'm saying is, given any metric they use to chart sales between 2006 and 2011, or calendar year to date of 2001, whatever you do, when we look back, I'd like to think that our market share will be as good--if not better--than what we've accomplished with the PS2 in the same kind of time frame since launch.

Banned
obaidr said:
there was an articel on heise.de (#1 website for internet/technology news and very thruthfull) and they said they cut the PS3 manufacturing costs by 35% since last year and pay now slightly under 400€.

That is over 500 US dollars not $380.

Gotchaye

Obaidr:

Leaving aside your ridiculous prediction for total PS3 sales, estimates of manufacturing costs have a great deal of uncertainty. Sony doesn't just tell people what it costs them to make things, and so estimates have to be used for pretty much everything (it's very contract-dependent).

Second, you can't just look at what it costs Sony to make a unit vs what Sony sells the unit for. Estimated manufacturing costs like you're using don't count shipping, advertising, factory time, and bureaucratic overhead like salaries for employees. Your supposition that Sony is close to making money with the PS3 right now is easily falsified by looking at their financial reports - the gaming division makes losses or small profits, and the PS2, PSP, and software for everything are all profitable.

Regardless, conservative estimates would put losses due to the PS3 at over $4 bln at this point, so that wouldn't even be enough for them to make money.

szaromir

Banned
stuburns said:
"I want to try to see if we can exceed the PS2 numbers after nine years, otherwise why are we in this business?"
Means nothing, I'm sure Microsoft want to try and exceed the PS3 number also.
BY saying that, Kaz set the goal for himself. It wouldn't matter if he was your standard employee, but he is SCE's CEO.
suffah said:
Wrong.

That was in April 2006.
I guess they're somewhat consistent with their delusions.:D

dalyr95

As seen with the current revision of the PS3 motherboard, Sony could of released a slim PS3 by now, as the CELL is reduced, the number of parts, the heatsink. Also slimmer relaunches do sell shit tons (DS Lite, DSi), if they can get it down to $300 I think they'll easily sell shit tons

Gotchaye

It does seem to me to be a bit silly to say that the PS3 is a failure for not living up to the PS2's share of the market. Yes, Sony was publicly expressing confidence that it would, but does anyone really think that Hirai believed that when he said it? There's no way that Sony had set that as a reasonable goal for the PS3.

They probably did expect significantly higher sales (perhaps 50-100% over what they've actually achieved). They also probably expected that the BluRay-gaming union would not have been such an abject failure - it seems likely that BluRay, all told, has scared people away from the PS3 while the PS3 has failed to help BluRay more efficiently than subsidizing standalone players would have. They also probably expected not to need to cut the price so drastically so early in the machine's life in order to secure its sales, and so were probably hoping that they'd more-or-less break even on the PS3 by the end of the generation (which obviously isn't happening now).

suffah said:
How about the other side of the "perception"?

PS2: Industry domination
PS3: Last place

Both sides will be forever spinning their side of the story.

Thats pretty much how i view sony this gen, go back 4 years ago and tell someone that sony hopes MAYBE to beat ms in the longrun and be in 2nd place behind Nintendo and they would LOL at you. imo MS has done far better than I ever imagined.

*goes back to pc gaming*

Second said:
I'm making Second happy by releasing good games = Good good good

I don't care if they lose money. As long as I'm happy with the product I've bought!

as a dreamcast fan, this attitude can come back to slap you ;)

another thing is im sick of owning a ps3 and getting all my multiplatform games on 360 or PC because they usually run and look better. the last game I bought on ps3 was flower (which wasa cool hour fast food type game purchase) and before that little big planet... For the price and the year delay we should have no question that the ps3 versions should be better (after all werent the xbox versions last gen better usually than the ps2s?)

StuBurns

Banned
szaromir said:
BY saying that, Kaz set the goal for himself. It wouldn't matter if he was your standard employee, but he is SCE's CEO.
I have no doubt he hoped it would happen. But to say Sony internal defiantly agreed seems insane. I remember the Toy Story come to life bullshit from PS2. Sony internal tech would know for a fact that is a flat out lie.

There's no way Sony could really have believed they'd actually widen the gap between them and their nearest competitor with the price tag of the PS3.

Chumly

Lets make this easy for some people

1. Sony makes a profit on all PS2's sold
2. Sony makes a profit on all PS2 software sold
3. Sony makes a profit on all PSP's sold
4. Sony makes a profit on all PSP software sold
5. Sony makes a profit on all PS3 third party software sold

Sony managed to make all of 4 million dollars last quarter.....
That means they are losing a shit ton of money (probably easily 200+ million) on either....

1. PS3 Hardware
3. PS3 Software they develop

Banned
dalyr95 said:
As seen with the current revision of the PS3 motherboard, Sony could of released a slim PS3 by now, as the CELL is reduced, the number of parts, the heatsink. Also slimmer relaunches do sell shit tons (DS Lite, DSi), if they can get it down to $300 I think they'll easily sell shit tons

:lol Those were PORTABLES. It makes sense to want a slimmer PORTABLE. What is the advantage of a slimmer console?

StuBurns

Banned
Karma said:
:lol Those were PORTABLES. It makes sense to want a slimmer PORTABLE. What is the advantage of a slimmer console?
If you can fit it in a smaller box, it costs less to make the box.

Also, it rejuvenates the project.

PSone and PStwo were cool I think.

As you said, it's not really for the customers, it's more for the manufacturer.

Kuramu

obaidr said:
what do you think how much they did with ps2? If they sell 100 mil. systems they will be over 1 bil. easily.

So if they sold 21.3 mil. Systems so far for an avarage price of lets say 450$:
21 300 000 x 450 = 9 585 000 000

so from now on they sell every system with profit and they have a averege profit of 50$ per system until the end of this gen. It would mean 80 mil x $50:

80 000 000 x 50 = 4 000 000 000

I didnt now counted the sales of BD and PS3 games.

moron.gif

stuburns said:
If you can fit it in a smaller box, it costs less to make the box.

Also, it rejuvenates the project.

PSone and PStwo were cool I think.

As you said, it's not really for the customers, it's more for the manufacturer.

Agreed but at this point Sony needs to reinvent the product. The PS3 is an awesome machine, by far the best video game console I've ever owned but its has a stench of failure in the eyes of the consumer (particularly in NA).

I think they need to "Relaunch" the Playstation 3 when they start producing a slim model.
New form factor, maybe an new name and new input device.

Hell it worked for the Wii.

slider

Trailblazer said:
Agreed but at this point Sony needs to reinvent the product. The PS3 is an awesome machine, by far the best video game console I've ever owned but its has a stench of failure in the eyes of the consumer (particularly in NA).

I think they need to "Relaunch" the Playstation 3 when they start producing a slim model.

Wii had a relaunch?

StuBurns

Banned
Trailblazer said:

I agree completely.

I actually thought that PS4 might be the last major spec revision they produce for a very long time and they'd just call it PlayStation, and try and shake off this insane 'generations' crap. Development costs have already gone too high, next generation it'll rocket again. I don't think we'll need PS5/Xbox4 for like 15 years.

Maybe something similar for PS3 would be a good idea.

slider said:
Wii had a relaunch?
No, the Gamecube did.

_leech_ said:

Ugh, why not?

I personally don't like the Wiimote I think it's cumbersome and awkward. But at this point Sony needs to stop making me so happy( and I'm really happy with the PS3) and play up to the casuals. If That Brake apart controller we've heard rumblings about can play like a traditional game controller. Then I'm fine with the ideal that it can also bake in two so Sony can sell a Wii sport clone.

Wii had a relaunch?

No, the Gamecube did.

*rimshot*

donny2112

stuburns said:
No, the Gamecube did.

Nah. They stuck with the same design throughout its lifetime. No GCNSlim or such remodelling. Xbox was the same way. Internal components for both changed a bit through the generation, though. I guess if you wanted to stretch, you could say that the $99 price drop in late 2003 could be considered a "relaunch." I wouldn't say it was, though.

StuBurns

Banned
donny2112 said:
Nah. They stuck with the same design throughout its lifetime. No GCNSlim or such remodelling. Xbox was the same way. Internal components for both changed a bit through the generation, though. I guess if you wanted to stretch, you could say that the $99 price drop in late 2003 could be considered a "relaunch." I wouldn't say it was, though.

The Wii is the Gamecube relaunch.
He said rename it and put a new remote on, sound familiar?

donny2112 said:

Uh... I think the point was that the Wii is a rebranded Gamecube with a new input deveice.

*edit beaten*

donny2112

stuburns said:
The Wii is the Gamecube relaunch.

And this generation was a relaunch of last generation but in HD. ;)

Trailblazer said:
Uh... I think the point was that the Wii is a rebranded Gamecube with a new input deveice.

Other than the fact that it is not, you'd be right! :p

StuBurns

Banned
donny2112 said:
And this generation was a relaunch of last generation but in HD.
That makes no sense.

His point was the Gamecube went from a flop to king because of it's relaunch. The Wii is the same console as the Gamecube, with a new controller and a nicer box.

donny2112

stuburns said:
The Wii is the same console as the Gamecube, with a new controller and a nicer box.

Tell me more. Where do I plug in the GameBoy Player?

If you honestly want to believe that the Wii is the GameCube with a new controller, than you might as well believe that this gen is just last gen with HD graphics.

donny2112

Trailblazer said:
the indie game scene alone is something you never saw last gen in consoles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Live_Arcade

themoreyouknow.gif

Edit:
Regardless, if you want to try to ignore every single difference between the Wii and the GameCube to try to say that the Wii is a relaunched GameCube, then you might as well ignore every single difference between PS360 and PS2/Xbox/GCN and call this gen, last gen with HD graphics.

StuBurns

Banned
donny2112 said:

If you honestly want to believe that the Wii is the GameCube with a new controller, than you might as well believe that this gen is just last gen with HD graphics.
Oh my god the DSi doesn't have a GBA slot!!one! DS2 confirmed.

lupinko

donny2112 said:

And by your logic, last generation was just the PSone generation with better graphics, and that generation just the former generation with better graphics and so on.

Grecco

stuburns said:
That makes no sense.

His point was the Gamecube went from a flop to king because of it's relaunch. The Wii is the same console as the Gamecube, with a new controller and a nicer box.

Hurr Hurr Duct tape am irite?

ymmv

Banned
donny2112 said:

Nintendo did. When they released the first Wii dev kits they reused the Gamecube reference manuals and added notes about the Wii remote. The first Wii developers were completely in the dark about the feature set of the updated GPU in the Wii because Nintendo didn't provide them with any information.

slider

I continue to be happy with my PS3 and I think it'd be suicide trying to rebrand it as a Wii-a-like.

Flexibility is very important but the me too strategy wouldn't work IMO. But I'd be interest to hear exactly what form this rebrand/relaunch would take? Are you guys talking about a major feature strip?

I know no one knows PS3 manufacturing costs but in my layman guess I'd say it's a darn sight more than the Wii.

EDIT: Not necessarily a Wii-a-like but... any major shift in focus. I dunno...

StuBurns

Banned
ymmv said:
Nintendo did. When they released the first Wii dev kits they reused the Gamecube hardware reference manuals and added notes about the Wii remote. The first Wii developers were completely in the dark about the feature set of the updated GPU in the Wii because Nintendo didn't provide them with any information.
Indeed, it's not identical, but it's barely a significant upgrade.

I can't speak for Trailblazer of course, but I wasn't shitting on Nintendo, what they did was fucking genius, and it's paid off. Fair play to them.

donny2112

lupinko said:
And by your logic, last generation was just the PSone generation with better graphics,

If you can call the idea that Wii is a relaunched GameCube "logical," then yes.

lupinko said:
and that generation just the former generation with better graphics and so on.

Nah. That had the transition from 2D to 3D. I guess if you really wanted to buy into the Wii = GameCube idea, then the transition from 2D to 3D might also qualify as "just" better graphics, too, though.

Trailblazer said:
From a hardware and development software point how are they different?

Cube
Wii

As for development, there's the small difference in controllers. ;)

Edit:
ymmv said:
Nintendo did. When they released the first Wii dev kits they reused the Gamecube reference manuals and added notes about the Wii remote.

Some of the early PS2 games were on CD. The fact that early development kits were essentially the GCN development kits is not an indication that the Wii is the GameCube. It is an indication that they're based on the same architecture, though, which they are.

Some random thoughts:

1. PS3 sales have decelerated, in terms of YoY change (in NA, JPN and maybe PAL).

2. 360 sales have accelerated, in terms of YoY change (in NA, JPN and PAL).

3. Comparing launch date shifted LTD sales is a silly exercise. Xbox1 shipped ~2 years after PS2 (depending on territory). Do you think anyone at MS looking at xb1 sales was going "Its okay, if we pretend we shipped 2 years earlier we are actually doing quite well!".

Wow . . . so now this thread is debating if the Wii is a GC "re-release"?
Good god people, the Sony fan-boys are spinning soo hard that they have lost all logic.

Can we go back to the "Mad World vs BYN sells/ NMH would have sold better on da HD" BS debate? I just got up alil bit ago so I didn't have the chance to piss on who ever started that one. >_>

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DeadlySchnauzer said:
1. PS3 sales have decelerated, in terms of YoY change (in NA, JPN and maybe PAL).
Is it for the whole year, or just holiday months? If I remember correctly, PS3 was selling better month on month compared to 2007, up until november 2008 (its price drop was in november 2007, and they didn't have another one in november 2008)

Stoney Mason said:
Which is why it makes it doubly odd imo that they went with only a high end model for a game market.
I wonder what they have in mind for PS4. If they want to release it in 2011 or 2012, how much can PS3 cost by then? $200-$250 maybe? So how much "new and improved" can they add to PS4 if they want to sell it for $300-$350? $100 can't exactly buy you much power and new tech.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Trailblazer said:

I've seen this mentioned a lot lately. They won't be able to hit the spot like Nintendo did. Not only is Nintendo investing a truckload into new disruptive innovations, the Wii was introduced into an extremely sick market. Right now the market is no longer sick, so a second Wii wouldn't be a big grabber.

I think it is a possibility either Microsoft or Sony will pursue Nintendo's business model, and when that happens the market(i.e. analysts, press, fans) will probably say their success will be as great as Nintendo's, but they'll be about as wrong on that as they've been with the Wii so far.

Top Bottom