• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

There are two main pressures.

1.) Pre-production for AAA games is still often 30-50+ people in 2015, or sometimes even more. "Production" is the state when you balloon up to like 300-400+ people with contractors.
2.) They want to hire as much of the old Kojima Productions as possible before they all get jobs elsewhere, since they need to eat.

Couldnt Studio Japan already have a prototype?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
once again...

G3OwpElKPBRu35Ez67n3sGC2oU70Zoic71YYXmKATn28W4secRssGzLTVFSPThRsApOghe5GjbWvNTHY520Y_y6Wd2VVVNjOM7eW-ndn5BZ8zDvlMykanQFM_aRMNPc2kw=w500-h269-nc

Classy :).

Instro

Not surprising, but cool none the less. I was thinking he might take some time off, but it seems like he's been full steam ahead behind the scenes.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
lol the xbox one subreddit is salty right now. haha. I suspect that this wont be a one time deal for sony. I expect all future titles will be ps4 exclusive.

Yep. What I expect as well. Or at least console exclusive with PC, but no Xbox versions.

yuraya

The abundance of so-called "console exclusive" games (games that are released on only one console plus PC) could be due to three possible reasons: data that shows that there isn't much overlap between console and PC gamers, console makers not perceiving the PC as a threat , or the PC's resurgence making it too expensive to lock down a game as a total exclusive. Maybe a combination of the three?

MGSV had a concurrent peak of 91k during launch week on steam. That is the most for any Japanese game ever on Steam. Even more than Dark Souls 2 which peaked at 79k. Its crazy impressive because the first Dark Souls is very popular on Steam.

So yea Kojiima has a lot of fans on PC so the resurgence is true. Its harder for him to avoid the platform. But tbh he has a cult following on just about every platform. I don't see any of his new games flopping in any way.

Ninferno

Oh, come on. Of course it is not guaranteed to have a PC release. What people are saying is just that judging by the PR terms used by the industry recently, it is very likely. Of course we can't assume anything until it is announced, but people still always make assumptions (that could sometimes be baseless) and get hyped themselves. Don't assume it is coming to PC? Well, how about don't assume this is going to be a good game in the first place?

The abundance of so-called "console exclusive" games (games that are released on only one console plus PC) could be due to three possible reasons: data that shows that there isn't much overlap between console and PC gamers, console makers not perceiving the PC as a threat , or the PC's resurgence making it too expensive to lock down a game as a total exclusive. Maybe a combination of the three?

Sony already said they don't see PC as direct competition .

They're not in a position to bargain with a studio like Kojima's. Besides creative freedom, financial security and company independence - I imagine Kojima is looking for a safe bet to establish his studio within the industry. The Playstation 4 is the safest bet to do that at this point.

I am pretty much sure that the language barrier was more reason to find a japanese publisher.

Faenix1

It's premature as hell considering the very real possibility that it ends up on PC. If it got locked to PS4 only, yeah fine, maybe you can go on a tirade then. But right now? Come on.

I don't understand it regardless. Wasn't MGS5 one of the few - if not only one - games of his that wasnt exclusive?

To be that salty over it is just sad.

Random musings:

-- The rushed, DIY nature of this annoucement (Kojima looks like he was literally pulled from bed minutes before) tells me that Nikkei reporting this arrangement earlier today forced Sony to make the announcement sooner than they were prepared to do.
-- I imagine there's going to be a VR component to this game
-- I wonder if Sony catered to Kojima's well known passions and leveraged the breadth of their enterprise to close the deal by involving Sony pictures to do a related film/TV production of this new franchise?
-- Andy House is totally being groomed to be the next CEO of Sony after Kaz decides to retire and raise race horses at his Hokkaido farm.

Wow. Congrats Kojima. This is the best outcome, I think. Just one exclusive title in exchange for his own independent studio. The best part is, I can't wait for Kojima to make use of Sony's first party tech muscle.

*don't like the new logo though.....*cough*cough*

Btw I am not pleased with console exclusivity. I have always believed that Kojima needs all that exposure by going multiplatform, guy is a crazy visionary. You may not like his work but you can't deny he is one of a kind in the industry.

Then again, it's better he is making an exclusive than no game at all. Still sucks for PC/Xbox guys.

RexNovis

Banned
So let it be known that "The Know" dudes who were talking abut how MS had bought Silent Hills and enlisted Kojima to develop it exclusively for MS were completely and totally full of shit. They reconfirmed this three separate times and should never be trusted about anything again.

Edit: I see I was way late mentioning this

Funny thing is just weeks ago, Adam Kovic of Rooster Teeth's Funhaus and The Know, doubled down on the Kojima to Microsoft rumors. Remember that just prior to E3, The Know claimed that Microsoft had acquired the Silent Hill(s) IP from Konami for billions (only two major outlets reported on The Know's rumor- Shacknews and IGN). Then a few weeks ago, Adam was on Kinda Funny's Gamecast, where he said with near certainty that Kojima was going to Microsoft. When he brought it up, he asked Greg and Tim if they heard about the "big leak" from E3 (does it count as a "big leak" if no one takes it seriously?). He went on to say the E3 "leak" was true, but Konami demanded to own part of Microsoft. He said that Microsoft decided that they'd rather wait for Kojima to leave Konami and make a Silent Hill-esque game. He said Konami was stupid to turn down Microsoft's money. He also claimed the partnership was most likely happening at The Game Awards because Kojima and Keighley are tight.

Uh-huh....

Top Bottom