• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
2. Don't mods leave a message for why you were banned?
Every time you visit the website in a logged in state while banned the expiration and ban reason is stated. (Assuming they are not PlayStation Customer Support and the reason stated is ".") ;-)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
ZhugeEX is banned? From what I've seen he's always affable and I've never seen him personally attack anyone. What the hell happened?

yurinka

yeah, I don't agree at all with the poster you quoted. No chance of getting over 75-77 million units when it's all said and done?

Meh...couldn't disagree more. I don't think developers or publishers want this to be a short gen, PS4 is designed to scale down in costs, there are growing markets outside of the usual dominant ones.
Each generation transition is a pain in the ass for both publishers, developers and first parties because they require a huge amount of investment in R&D, devkits, engine license and growing game budgets and teams.

So for them, the longer is a generation, the better. And if the console sells well, the games keep going and has a subscription fee attached they'll make it to be as long as possible.

I thought it was only counted as self promotion if you make a thread featuring your own stuff. But maybe it counts in all posts as well, especially if you make a lot of the posts linking to an outside site. I hope its not too long. I like getting all that China news.
His videos were really appreciated and on topic, specially when they were about a theme that isn't almost covered by western gaming media: China Joy. And well, he had a tiny personal youtube channel and the best option to show us this event, he isn't a youtuber trying to get a better salary.

I wouldn't say this was the reason, it should be something else. But he always has been respectful and did cool stuff like the graphs. It's strange to see him banned.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Each generation transition is a pain in the ass for both publishers, developers and first parties because they require a huge amount of investment in R&D, devkits, engine license and growing game budgets and teams.

So for them, the longer is a generation, the better. And if the console sells well, the games keep going and has a subscription fee attached they'll make it to be as long as possible.

This is why I believe Sony has opted for a more PC approach this gen. IF there IS a PS5 (I'm still not convinced because of PSNow), then I'm almost certain that it will be backward compatible.

This is why I believe Sony has opted for a more PC approach this gen. IF there IS a PS5 (I'm still not convinced because of PSNow), then I'm almost certain that it will be backward compatible.

Yep the next console will just be a continuation of the PS4. Devs will be able to eke out more performance by targeting specific hardware differences between the generations but it won't require major engine rewrites and can be spread out as the next generation matures. In fact I think its going to become increasingly difficult to distinctly define generations as I predict the updated hardware will be more evolutionary instead of revolutionary, and will come more often.

I don't see how it would be possible for PSNow to replace a locally run copy of a game. You just can never get around the lag. On top of that VR will never work with remote rendering since it is even more lag dependent and Sony is going all in on VR.

Apathy

Every time you visit the website in a logged in state while banned the expiration and ban reason is stated. (Assuming they are not PlayStation Customer Support and the reason stated is ".") ;-)

The one time I got banned they linked me to a post I made explaining operant conditioning with an image of a skinner box. That one was a bit confusing to me.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yep the next console will just be a continuation of the PS4. Devs will be able to eke out more performance by targeting specific hardware differences between the generations but it won't require major engine rewrites and can be spread out as the next generation matures. In fact I think its going to become increasingly difficult to distinctly define generations as I predict the updated hardware will be more evolutionary instead of revolutionary, and will come more often.

They will not be significantly more often, what console manufacturers love most about consoles is their late life, for example, right now Sony is just sitting around collecting licensing fees from publishers for allowing their games to be on PS3. While on new hardware they spend significant amount of money on manufacturing, shipping, & marketing the device. PS3 to them right now is just a free money generator.

If they decide to release new hardware frequently, they'll basically erase the most profitable phase of the console's life cycle.

benny_a

I don't see how it would be possible for PSNow to replace a locally run copy of a game. You just can never get around the lag. On top of that VR will never work with remote rendering since it is even more lag dependent and Sony is going all in on VR.
Where are you seeing "all in on VR" from Sony?

If anything they are very conservative about the platform and announced and re-introduced games for PS4 that are very much incompatible with VR.

Rolf NB

Cycles are getting longer, not shorter. Chip manufacturing progress has slowed significantly. If there's nothing new to put in a box, why release a new box?

I've been thinking the same. And it's one of the reasons I don't really have a problem with porting/remastering PS3 games to PS4. They are now "converted" into the PC architecture and would then be able to be a BC game on PS5. There are only a handful of games/franchises from SCE that I want to see brought over such as Killzone (1 HD, 2, and 3), Resistance Trilogy, Infamous (1, 2, and Festival of Blood), MotorStorm Trilogy (and maybe RC), and Puppeteer. Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls have already been announced. I wouldn't mind seeing a Sports Champions compilation for PS4 as well.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've been thinking the same. And it's one of the reasons I don't really have a problem with porting/remastering PS3 games to PS4. They are now "converted" into the PC architecture and would then be able to be a BC game on PS5. There are only a handful of games/franchises from SCE that I want to see brought over such as Killzone (1 HD, 2, and 3), Resistance Trilogy, Infamous (1, 2, and Festival of Blood), MotorStorm Trilogy (and maybe RC), and Puppeteer. Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls have already been announced. I wouldn't mind seeing a Sports Champions compilation for PS4 as well.

What I think will happen (given the BC to be true) is we'll see another opportunity taken by publishers to make a little extra money off older games. They can sell the older game 'as is' and then offer an in house mod for money (let's say $5 - $10). This would increase texture quality, lighting, FPS etc. I actually think they could get away with that without too much backlash.

That's a really good point. I haven't thought about remasters that way before.

They will not be significantly more often, what console manufacturers love most about consoles is their late life, for example, right now Sony is just sitting around collecting licensing fees from publishers for allowing their games to be on PS3. While on new hardware they spend significant amount of money on manufacturing, shipping, & marketing the device. PS3 to them right now is just a free money generator.

If they decide to release new hardware frequently, they'll basically erase the most profitable phase of the console's life cycle.

You are thinking about the current model where each new generation is an entirely new design. These will be evolutionary changes and much of the development expense will be borne by AMD. All the console makers have to do is implement them.

Competition will also drive a faster update cycle. Microsoft is currently being beaten 2-to-1 this generation and no doubt would want to see the next gen start sooner rather than later. Note that the 360 came out just 4 years after the original Xbox. If that holds true this gen then we would be talking about a new console being launched in just 2 years. Sony knows how big of an advantage such an early release can be so they would want to have an updated version of the PS4 available too. Both of these wouldn't be totally new designs but just beefier versions of the current ones.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft announced something new next year.

Cycles are getting longer, not shorter. Chip manufacturing progress has slowed significantly. If there's nothing new to put in a box, why release a new box?

AMD is starting to use their High Bandwidth Memory and there could be hardware specific VR optimizations. Adding faster memory, better VR support and possibly some more CPU cores would be a straightforward and worthwhile capability increase of a new console.

Where are you seeing "all in on VR" from Sony?

If anything they are very conservative about the platform and announced and re-introduced games for PS4 that are very much incompatible with VR.

The camera and controller were specifically designed with VR in mind. Sony will have a Morpheus launch event in the first part of next year. And after a quick Google search I was able to come up with this quote.

So what makes Project Morpheus different? Yoshida said they see it as an important part of the PS4 experience. "We're positioning it not as a peripheral, but as a new system that makes use of the PS4." He added, "PS4 and Project Morpheus were developed at the same time, they work really closely together."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/23/technology/sony-playstation-yoshida-virtual-reality/

benny_a

The camera and controller were specifically designed with VR in mind. Sony will have a Morpheus launch event in the first part of next year. And after a quick Google search I was able to come up with this quote.

So what makes Project Morpheus different? Yoshida said they see it as an important part of the PS4 experience. "We're positioning it not as a peripheral, but as a new system that makes use of the PS4." He added, "PS4 and Project Morpheus were developed at the same time, they work really closely together."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/23/technology/sony-playstation-yoshida-virtual-reality/
But that's not an argument for going "all-in."

Unless I've been playing poker wrong all these years.

But that's not an argument for going "all-in."

Unless I've been playing poker wrong all these years.

I am not sure how much more you want. Sony is supporting Morpheus about as much as they possibly could barring making the stupid move MS did with the Kinect by making it a mandatory accessory. So yea, if you are going to grade it on that scale then it isn't all-in, but it is getting their full support.

benny_a

I am not sure how much more you want. Sony is supporting Morpheus about as much as they possibly could barring making the stupid move MS did with the Kinect by making it a mandatory accessory. So yea, if you are going to grade it on that scale then it isn't all-in, but it is getting their full support.
Of course they could do more. If not every single game announced is Morpheus then they are not going all-in.

If you're happy with the support that they are giving Morpheus then fine. But factually SCE are not going "all-in" to VR.

Seem to be a lot of prolific posters getting smacked with the banhammer lately. Dangerous times ladies and gents. Mind your P's and Q's.
yeah but wtf for though? I love GAF, but if this place is going to turn into some petty nonsense, I'll be on my way.

I've never even seen the guy being combative even in heated discussions. If self-promotion is the notification he got after his ban went into place, I'd like to officially call that bullshit.

I think a lot of people are projecting their "no games" position into the general consumer & assume that the casual gamers think exactly like them. A lot of them also live in the US bubble so they can't comprehend the success of the PS4 in EU & RotW.
I should clarify that I believe PS4 will go well over 77m. I said "in the range of half PS2" because I was trying to emphasize that I think there will be a big gap between their LTDs when PS4 stops selling. (I probably should've said two-thirds.)

That's no slight on PS4's great performance. Just PS2 had two advantages: a robust Japanese games industry putting out tons of third-party exclusives, and no real hardware competitor in any market. Square Enix is working hard on that first point right now, but other major Japanese publishers have faltered badly. And in the US and UK, Microsoft will continue being an aggressive number two.

So how far above 77m for PS4? I think that relies on four factors:

1. Length of generation.
2. Uptake in emerging markets.
3. Sony's balance of share and profitability.
4. The success of PS5.

Personally I don't think they'll have any issue hitting 90m. Getting 100m is less sure, but should happen. Anything above that is a guess.

yeah, I'm all for remasters, don't know why everyone hates them lol. I wait for discounts and then get to play some of the greatest games of last gen for $20 and $30? Keep em coming I say.

If PS4 would just add PS1/PS2 emulation that improves quality a bit, it would be the ultimate PS machine going forward for PS4 to have b/c with. Right now, OGPS3 is still the GOAT.

Of course they could do more. If not every single game announced is Morpheus then they are not going all-in.

If you're happy with the support that they are giving Morpheus then fine. But factually SCE are not going "all-in" to VR.

You have to take what I said in the proper context. I was replying to a statement saying that there might not be a new console generation due to PSNow. I was pointing out that VR wouldn't work with such a service. If Sony were to take that route then all their current effort to support Morpheus would be for nothing. That doesn't and wouldn't make any sense.

Sony is pushing VR as much as they can. They devoted half their E3 booth to it. They'll have a conference specifically for it in the first half of next year. They are making games directly targeting it and encouraging other devs to do the same. None of that would be happening if they were contemplating in the slightest that they wouldn't continue to support local hardware. And not only that. Much improved hardware too since the current capabilities are just passing the minimum specs needed for it to work.

I've never even seen the guy being combative even in heated discussions.
Then you must not have noticed, because he gets really mad when people post bad math.

Also, his ban might not be for self-promotion. In the "not Warriors" thread he was claiming to have inside information.

Fear of a collapsing market? 2019 would be a 6 year cycle and still 4 years from now. Having a 7-8 year cycle again would I think threaten the sustainability and relevancy of home consoles.

benny_a

You have to take what I said in the proper context. I was replying to a statement saying that there might not be a new console generation due to PSNow. I was pointing out that VR wouldn't work with such a service. If Sony were to take that route then all their current effort to support Morpheus would be for nothing. That doesn't and wouldn't make any sense.
It doesn't make much sense.

All I've been saying is that I can't look the current strategy by SCE and all in on any one thing is not what I would describe it. I think they are diversifying and keeping their options open.

Sony is pushing VR as much as they can. They devoted half their E3 booth to it. They'll have a conference specifically for it in the first half of next year. They are making games directly targeting it and encouraging other devs to do the same. None of that would be happening if they were contemplating in the slightest that they wouldn't continue to support local hardware. And not only that. Much improved hardware too since the current capabilities are just passing the minimum specs needed for it to work.
But the two options aren't not supporting at all and going all in. I haven't been saying that Playstation is doing the opposite of pushing for VR. I'm saying they are obviously not devoting all their available resources to it.

Also the booth size being half for Morpheus is not representative of the importance of VR. Morpheus demos take up more space than regular game kiosks.

Fear of a collapsing market? 2019 would be a 6 year cycle and still 4 years from now. Having a 7-8 year cycle again would I think threaten the sustainability and relevancy of home consoles.
The reality of exiting the home console market is probably a topic that Andrew House thinks about all the time.

Yeah I see that now, I think that's what did him in.

You gotta be really careful about how you do stuff like that. I did it with the Last Guardian before E3 but made sure not to overdo it. When you start dangling the info in front of people and not saying anything its a different story. I imagine that's what happened here but I haven't seen the thread.

The reality of exiting the home console market is probably a topic that Andrew House thinks about all the time.

I think that is why they are trying to set Morpheus now, as it will be a great temperature test for the next console's design. People have had the pipe dream for some time but Sony could make the ultimate Steam Machine as well. Just make it Steam OS, and all of Sony WWS games would be available on Steam OS exclusively. Technically meaning you wouldn't have to own a Playstation to play Sony games, but those that like a home console would have an accessible and widely distributed Steam Box that is console like and with a custom UI.

Of course this would may backwards compatibility difficult unless they VIrtual Machine the PS4

Biker19

Banned
I think a lot of people are projecting their "no games" position into the general consumer & assume that the casual gamers think exactly like them. A lot of them also live in the US bubble so they can't comprehend the success of the PS4 in EU & RotW.

This is the main issue I have, whether its US based forum posters, or US based paid professionals in the industry, they still haven't grasped whats happening in the Rest of the World for the PS4.

I agree; it's just pathetic.

U.S. doesn't equal the world, & not only that, Europe is now the biggest market on games than even U.S. is now.

yurinka

Yes, I agree. But I'm 100% sure there will be a PS5, also PC based so 100% BC with PS4. This would reduce their costs a lot.

I think that is why they are trying to set Morpheus now, as it will be a great temperature test for the next console's design. People have had the pipe dream for some time but Sony could make the ultimate Steam Machine as well. Just make it Steam OS, and all of Sony WWS games would be available on Steam OS exclusively. Technically meaning you wouldn't have to own a Playstation to play Sony games, but those that like a home console would have an accessible and widely distributed Steam Box that is console like and with a custom UI.

Of course this would may backwards compatibility difficult unless they VIrtual Machine the PS4
Steam OS will be a tiny niche like Linux. Console market is the biggest gaming market. Previous gen has been the biggest gen ever in terms of sales. Now Nintendo is struggling and PS4 is getting record sales even if XBO is selling better than 360, so they will go to take great numbers with PS5.

And they are entering China: PS4 shipped 25M units and Street Fighter V got 500000 petitions from China to enter its beta. PS4 is going to be really big, probably at PS2 levels.

To make a BC PS5 for both games, engines and SDK would be really easy and cheap, almost like to choose the spec of your next PC because PS4 is almost a PC. Make sure there will be a PS5.

VR isn't even a market and we don't know if it's going to work money wise. During few first years we'll see experiments, technology and controls that still has flaws and game designs that still aren't well adapted to VR. PS5 will be a normal console, and Morpheus 2 will be a separate thing because TV games and VR aren't the same, like mobile and console games aren't the same. They are separate markets for different experiences with different game types.

Jigorath

Banned
Then you must not have noticed, because he gets really mad when people post bad math.

Also, his ban might not be for self-promotion. In the "not Warriors" thread he was claiming to have inside information.

He was doing the whole "I know something but I won't say anything!" routine which is always annoying as fuck.

For the record, I have no idea why he got banned.

Biker19

Banned

Exactly. When PS5 rolls around, does anyone think it's going to be backwards compatible with PS3 games (or PS3 versions of games)? Nope.

People will instantly be able to play something like both "The Last of Us Remastered" & the sequel to it or something like Uncharted 1-4 all on one console, just like right now with PS4.

It doesn't make much sense.

All I've been saying is that I can't look the current strategy by SCE and all in on any one thing is not what I would describe it. I think they are diversifying and keeping their options open.

But like I said, do you have any doubt that Sony intends to continue with local console hardware considering the support they have thrown behind Morpheus. Also outside of literally requiring the purchase of Morpheus along with a PS4, Sony has shown no hesitation at all at supporting the peripheral. On the scale of peripheral support, Sony is definitely all in. There hasn't been another peripheral that has been supported more. (Once again outside the silly requirement of making it mandatory) Seriously, what more would they have to do to be "all-in" in your definition?

But the two options aren't not supporting at all and going all in. I haven't been saying that Playstation is doing the opposite of pushing for VR. I'm saying they are obviously not devoting all their available resources to it.

Also the booth size being half for Morpheus is not representative of the importance of VR. Morpheus demos take up more space than regular game kiosks.

It's more than taking up more size. Sony demoed 17 VR games at E3 according to this article. I did a quick look and couldn't find a definitive answer but I doubt Sony's Move controller got anywhere near that amount of support at its E3 launch

http://www.roadtovr.com/every-morpheus-game-sony-demoing-e3/

Besides I'm not sure a seated VR game takes up any more room than a normal game, and many if not most VR games were a seated experience.

benny_a

But like I said, do you have any doubt that Sony intends to continue with local console hardware considering the support they have thrown behind Morpheus. Also outside of literally requiring the purchase of Morpheus along with a PS4, Sony has shown no hesitation at all at supporting the peripheral. On the scale of peripheral support, Sony is definitely all in. There hasn't been another peripheral that has been supported more. (Once again outside the silly requirement of making it mandatory) Seriously, what more would they have to do to be "all-in" in your definition?
All in like the term in poker means to put all your resources into one play. They do not do this with Morpheus, ergo they don't go all in.

And calling it the best supported peripheral when it isn't even out yet seems quite premature.

It's more than taking up more size. Sony demoed 17 VR games at E3 according to this article. I did a quick look and couldn't find a definitive answer but I doubt Sony's Move controller got anywhere near that amount of support at its E3 launch

http://www.roadtovr.com/every-morpheus-game-sony-demoing-e3/

Besides I'm not sure a seated VR game takes up any more room than a normal game, and many if not most VR games were a seated experience.
They definitely do take more space. Just check out any video about a Morpheus demo vs. a regular kiosk.
If you really want me to post the size a RIGS demo spot vs. for example (a controller based game like) Killstrain I can do that.

If not every single game announced is Morpheus then they are not going all-in.
I don't gamble, but unless going all in normally includes things like the deed to your house, this seems like a bit of a strawman. At this point, it seems safe to say that Sony intend to make a pretty solid push with VR. We're still nearly a year from launch, so we've yet to see the final form that push will take or how the market will respond, but I see nothing to indicate Sony aren't taking this seriously or are otherwise likely to half-ass it. On the contrary, they seem to have a pretty solid plan.

benny_a

I don't gamble, but unless going all in normally includes things like the deed to your house, this seems like a bit of a strawman. At this point, it seems safe to say that Sony intend to make a pretty solid push with VR. We're still nearly a year from launch, so we've yet to see the final form that push will take or how the market will respond, but I see nothing to indicate Sony aren't taking this seriously or are otherwise likely to half-ass it. On the contrary, they seem to have a pretty solid plan.
I didn't say they didn't take it seriously. I didn't say they half-ass it.

If you consider going "all in" that they do more than half-assing or taking it seriously then that is your interpretation of that phrase.
I don't know why one would use that specific phrasing when one didn't mean to use the poker analogy (which is also known as betting the farm) but life is about choices.
I don't feel like continuing to argue semantics. I rest my case. Everything is all in all the time.

EGM1966

Are we really arguing semantics at this level? The guy clearly meant "all in" as in Sony if pretty much going to put everything behind VR. They clearly aren't therefore he chose the wrong metaphor. That should be the end of it.

They're clearly going to give it a big push but they're not going all in and on the evidence so far they're not even going to be anywhere close to that level of commitment.

If VR takes off that might change but for now it's a well supported initiative but one of many and completely unproven.

Top Bottom