• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q2: PS4 shipment 4 million, cumulative sell in at 29.3 million

onQ123

PS4 will be close to 40 million sold without releasing Gran Turismo , God of War , Uncharted or any of their big sellers.

RexNovis

Banned
Wow. That is way higher than I expected. Figured we'd be looking at somewhere around 27 million. I wonder if their biggest growth market is still the Middle East at this point.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I remember the 2008-2011 period for Sony. They were pretty much fucked and people were discussing the worst possible scenarios. I'm glad Kaz turned around the company though, about time. PS4 should easily get to 35 million by the end of this year.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
bloodborne isn't 3rd party dude. in this case i don't this sf5 is either, since sony is funding it.

the yakuza series is 3rd party

I meant more along the lines of stuff like SFV and the other console exclusive titles they have coming. Bloodborne is a bonus, but deals like that will be easier to make with the install base discrepancy.

allan-bh

PS4 will be close to 40 million sold without releasing Gran Turismo , God of War , Uncharted or any of their big sellers.

That's true and remarkable, but on the other hand maybe several fans of these franchises already bought a PS4 anyway.

majik13

I hope this doesnt make Sony rest on their laurels. And they dont repeat the PS3 luanch next gen.

But otherwise. Awesome, congrats!

boltz

Wow, I knew the PS4 was doing well, but the LTD number really blows my mind, especially compared to PS2 and the Wii.

The biggest seller will be GTA 6, i can see uncharted 4, GT7 and last of us 2 moving some units but gta 6 will push more then all those combined.

Man

Sell-in numbers to customers will have reached 40 million when PlayStationVR releases in ~May Q2 2016.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't think so since you're not capable of a proper answer. But this isn't a main theme of this thread anyway.

If you need it spelled out for you, we can begin with your notion of "buying". Where, exactly, is it stated that Sony paid for SFV console exclusivity, for example?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
What did they say wrong? What are the major third-party exclusives the PS4 has?

It depends on what you mean by major. Western side, there is Wild by Michel Ancel, No Man's Sky, Amplitude by Harmonix, Hellblade by Ninja Theory. If you are talking about something of the budget of Call of duty or Destiny, no, they don't exist. There is also that Robinson's game from Crytek, but that is VR. On the Japanese side, there are more, but people like to discredit them.

Kieli

It's kind of bizarre. Every year, I'm always anticipating next years games more than the ones this year (that I was anticipating last year).

The hype train never ends.

NateDrake

If you need it spelled out for you, we can begin with your notion of "buying". Where, exactly, is it stated that Sony paid for SFV console exclusivity, for example?

Sony is co-developing and paying for the publishing of SFV.

It depends on what you mean by major. Western side, there is Wild by Michel Ancel, No Man's Sky, Somplitude by Harmonix, Hellblade by Ninja Theory. If you are talking about something of the budget of Call of duty or Destiny, no, they don't exist. On the Japanese side, there is more, but people like to discredit them.
I'm talking AAA games like past gens would have. Those days are clearly over and we won't see things like Destiny be exclusive without major deals in place. Sony has a solid lineup of indie and smaller software as exclusives, you are right.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It depends on what you mean by major. Western side, there is Wild by Michel Ancel, No Man's Sky, Somplitude by Harmonix, Hellblade by Ninja Theory. If you are talking about something of the budget of Call of duty or Destiny, no, they don't exist.

Which is even funnier when you consider the haste to quote my original post. I never said the word "major". I said I expect 3rd party titles to continue to come to the PS4 exclusively (console exclusive or otherwise).

But, you know...

I meant more along the lines of stuff like SFV and the other console exclusive titles they have coming. Bloodborne is a bonus, but deals like that will be easier to make with the install base discrepancy.
? That wasn't a response to you bro. lol

Did you quote the wrong person?

barit

That are some crazy numbers and Sony will not stop here. 2016 will be the true Playstation year with PSVR and some big first party AAA games that are finally coming out. When will this trend stop? Well, who knows. For PS4 only the sky is the limit it seems.

Console War Was Over in 2015

Console supremacy won in round one

Competition couldn't catch up

ps-feb-20.jpg

Withnail

Next year

Uncharted 4
Gran Turismo
Horizon
PSVR

FFVIIR to come at some point in the future.

This thing is going nuclear.

Gren

I have no intention of getting a PS4 anytime soon, but I'm glad, as its success no doubt helps keep the lights on for some of my favorite Japanese pubs (or keeps them at least partly invested in taditional game development).

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Did you really believe that Sony not paid for have SF V as console exclusive?

If you can provide something other than a theory, I'll be happy to discuss it further. Remember, you quoted me with the talk of Japanese games and such...

Or, how about I flip it around for you - can you give me a reason why, at this point, Sony won't continue to be able to snag exclusives/content considering their sizable lead?

stryke

It depends on what you mean by major. Western side, there is Wild by Michel Ancel, No Man's Sky, Amplitude by Harmonix, Hellblade by Ninja Theory. If you are talking about something of the budget of Call of duty or Destiny, no, they don't exist. There is also that Robinson's game from Crytek, but that is VR. On the Japanese side, there are more, but people like to discredit them.

Wild and Amplitude are first party properties.

Sjefen

With price drop, 2 year catalogue of games, huge first party titles yet to release, VR etc Sony/PS4 will have a very bright future once they tap into the mass market

Apt101

How much larger is the potential worldwide market? I'm guessing many of the homes that purchased a Wii or two aren't up for grabs for this console (at least not until it drops below a certain price point, if ever). Another 30 million over its lifetime? I'm not too current on retail trends; I don't know what even the PS3 sold in its lifetime.

NateDrake

How much larger is the potential worldwide market? I'm guessing many of the homes that purchased a Wii or two aren't up for grabs for this console (at least not until it drops below a certain price point, if ever). Another 30 million over its lifetime? I'm not too current on retail trends; I don't know what even the PS3 sold in its lifetime.

Will depend on emerging market trends and a lot of various factors. The PS4 is selling well in Europe, Asia, the Middle East. The US market is a wildcard when it comes to performance, meanwhile Japan is relatively poor.

Top Bottom