• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Germany: X360 sales 253k, PS3 to be WW leader till christmas

I'm glad none of us are debating the validity of these X360 numbers from Sony Germany. They are certainly among the most reputable sources for MS numbers.

Joe211

hadareud said:
Gears is not on sale in Germany as a result though. Of course that hurts the console.

253k is still low though, but I think the original xbox had quite a tough time in Germany too. Does anyone have some original xbox numbers for Germany?

Anyway so we now know that the 360 sold 253k in germany and over a million in the UK. Would be interesting to get some numbers for the rest of Europe.

300.000 unit sold in France before december 2006

http://www.xbox-mag.net/300-000-xbox-360-en-france-selon-microsoft__12276.html

GhaleonEB

Joe211 said:
With a goal of 500k by the end of the year. I don't think we ever heard if they hit that goal.

So UK over a million, Germany at 253k, France at 500k (by now, if not at the end of December). Getting up to nearly 2m with those three countries. Are those the three largest markets in Europe? What proportion does that cover?

Xisiqomelir

GhaleonEB said:
With a goal of 500k by the end of the year. I don't think we ever heard if they hit that goal.

So UK over a million, Germany at 253k, France at 500k (by now, if not at the end of December). Getting up to nearly 2m with those three countries. Are those the three largest markets in Europe? What proportion does that cover?

Australia is PAL, and the platform holders lump all the world together as "EU", right? They had 153K through March.

Elios83

Wollan said:
I strongly doubt 2007. Equilibrium day coming 2008 though.

He's just talking about the european market, David Reeves said they expect to be number one in Europe by the end of this year.
Japan of course is already in the bag relatively to 360, USA will be their main challenge this gen though,especially without a strong price cut.

spwolf

GhaleonEB said:

around 60% most likely... problem is that on rest of the european market, Microsoft sells nothing :).

theBishop

Banned
I don't want to hear any Sony exec say a word about market leadership until they get some ****ing firm release dates for their 2007 lineup.

This whole business with Lair and Heavenly Sword is getting ridiculous now. Despite what David Reeves thinks, consumers will not buy a $600 game system without a series of compelling games.

Wollan

I can agree there. They have the games coming but it's very elusive in terms of release dates as well as new media. Wondering what the hell the thinking behind it all is.

Freki

pswii60 said:
MS are doing a terrible job in Europe everywhere outside the UK, Reggie was right. Sony are much better at targetting each country with their own marketing campaigns etc. Even every country in Europe has had its very own version of Singstar.

MS definitely need to micro-localise to compete better.

I wouldn't call the toilet girl good marketing!

Hell - the only good marketing by sony is sponsoring the Champions League!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
theBishop said:
I don't want to hear any Sony exec say a word about market leadership until they get some ****ing firm release dates for their 2007 lineup.

This whole business with Lair and Heavenly Sword is getting ridiculous now. Despite what David Reeves thinks, consumers will not buy a $600 game system without a series of compelling games.

I couldn't have said it better. ****ing execs care more about launch sales than the games to sell to the people that bought the ****ing system.

It's pissing me off too man.

theBishop

Banned
Wollan said:
I can agree there. They have the games coming but it's very elusive in terms of release dates as well as new media. Wondering what the hell the thinking behind it all is.

It seems like Sony doesn't realize how the internet works. They had some momentum going after GDC. People were starting to think they knew what they were doing. But that is definitely fading now, and we're getting more idiotic statements like "cheap americans" and "PS3 WW leader in 2008". Things are going back to pre-GDC and Sony PR continues to sit on its hands or worse, put their foot in their mouth

In the absence of games, demos, footage, or firmware updates, the stonewalling and moronic quotes aren't going to sell $600 consoles.

spwolf

theBishop said:
It seems like Sony doesn't realize how the internet works. They had some momentum going after GDC. People were starting to think they knew what they were doing. But that is definitely fading now, and we're getting more idiotic statements like "cheap americans" and "PS3 WW leader in 2008". Things are going back to pre-GDC and Sony PR continues to sit on its hands or worse, put their foot in their mouth

In the absence of games, demos, footage, or firmware updates, the stonewalling and moronic quotes aren't going to sell $600 consoles.

didnt we just get background downloading 10 days ago? :D

Problem with internet is that one hour is like one month in real world... people forget what happened only few days ago.

Dali

Orlics said:
Do companies really do this? Do they really promote their products by citing the sales numbers of competing products?

I dunno. How many times have you seen a commercial and heard something like, "America's #1 product x..." or the "Come see why we are the world's #1 [insert service or product]".

theBishop

Banned
spwolf said:
didnt we just get background downloading 10 days ago? :D

Problem with internet is that one hour is like one month in real world... people forget what happened only few days ago.

Yeah, Background Downloading is a nice improvement. But any complaints with the XMB would be forgiven (or at least deferred) if we were playing all the games that were supposed to be out by now.

And I completely agree there is massive ADD on the internet. But that's sort of Sony's problem, along with the hostility that comes from selling a $600 console, and rabid fanboys of other platforms. I don't think David Karraker and the PR wing he represents do a very good job speaking to gamers.

GhaleonEB

spwolf said:
around 60% most likely... problem is that on rest of the european market, Microsoft sells nothing :).
Oh, I realize MS doesn't fare well there. I was just wondering what proportion of Europe we have some numbers for now. Thanks.

Fio

Wow, 17 months and 253k units sold ?
I'm starting to misbelieve that X360 already sold at least 2 millions through Europe.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
theBishop said:

Your right. We needed some deadline dates from there big 1st/2nd party games. Hell at least give us the month they will come out.

Phil probably just went on vacation. Seriously Phil is the reason Sony even looks decent exec wise right now imo. It's like without Phil, Sony's communication systems breaks down completely.

mabuza

Banned
you guys have to remmember sony isnt gonna show all their games now, they want to sell more resistance and motorstorm and by pushing those two games now, more people will be inclined to buy it.
if they start pushing the likes of eight days or heavenly sword now, a lot of people will probably wait till those games come out before buying the ps3.
its the same thing msft and nintendo are doing. nintendo hasnt really shown much of their 2007 lineup

theBishop said:

Personally, I don't think most average consumers will buy a $600 console period no matter how compelling the games are.

gamergirly said:
It's a "On Game" basis

Thats right, but MS decided not to release games which failed to get a USK rating. Of course MS could release GOW and Crackdown here in Germany. But without a USK rating there is the posibility to ban the game. Resistance on the other hand got a USK rating. So there is no chance of banning the game.

Joe211

There is NG Sigma in June that's it. I don't know what Japanese devs are doing ?
where are their games?

it seems sony give time to their first party devs, I think it's a good thing it shows that they care about quality but we need some games before christmas :eek:

Wollan

HocusPocus said:
Well how are the selling Resistance there if they banned GoW? I'm assuming they can sell Restiance in Germany.

Gears is a bit more violent though. Shoot off limbs, heads + the blood is way over the top with gallons spurting. And also, chainsaw. Resistance is a bit more on a Halo level.

spwolf

Joe211 said:
There is NG Sigma in June that's it. I don't know what Japanese devs are doing ?
where are their games?

it seems sony give time to their first party devs, I think it's a good thing it shows that they care about quality but we need some games before christmas :eek:

christmas? :)

I dont know about Japan, but they should get few games there by CHRISTMAS. Lets hope they do that few months sooner.

But you have to consider that most of these big first party titles have been in development from 3 to 4 years... I am sure they will not ruin that by releasing imperfect game, just so it is released one month sooner... huge budgets there...

How well received in Germany was Guitar Hero? Might indicate if it will help the 360 there. Its one of the few non-violent 360 games I can think of.

Haunted

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
How well received in Germany was Guitar Hero? Might indicate if it will help the 360 there. Its one of the few non-violent 360 games I can think of.
Anecdotal evidence, but not that good iirc. This is budget-priced Singstar country.

Neomoto

Joe211 said:
there is less than 500.000 360 in France according to a Xbox PR...
Wow, so we have some numbers from UK (biggest market in europe) and france and germany (2nd and 3rd largest eu markets right?). Oke so they aren't "perfect" numbers but give a reasonable idea anyway. But it aint looking good for Microsoft in eu, at all.

Orlics said:
Do companies really do this? Do they really promote their products by citing the sales numbers of competing products?
Yes, sometimes (for example in a response to NPD releases or something but I don't think citing exact numbers is done much though). But only Sony uses it this way in PR if I'm not mistaken.

Haunted

Neomoto said:
Wow, so we have some numbers from UK (biggest market in europe) and france and germany (2nd and 3rd largest eu markets right?). Oke so they aren't "perfect" numbers but give a reasonable idea anyway. But it aint looking good for Microsoft in eu, at all. .
Germany actually got overtaken by Spain in regard to Sony launch numbers. :lol

But overall, we still should be the third biggest market in Europe. Actually we should be the biggest (looking at population), but the PC dominance just won't stop.

e-gamer

Did they know about the 82% sales drop in UK?

Well, if they also had that number in sales drop in germany, maybe PS3 get near xbox 360 by 2009.... considering that xbox360 will stop to sell right now...

:lol

Xisiqomelir

Outdoor Miner said:
I'm glad none of us are debating the validity of these X360 numbers from Sony Germany. They are certainly among the most reputable sources for MS numbers.

What an absurd insinuation. Do you think he pulled them from Sony Market Research? They're obviously GfK numbers.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
e-gamer said:
Did they know about the 82% sales drop in UK?

Well, if they also had that number in sales drop in germany, maybe PS3 get near xbox 360 by 2009.... considering that xbox360 will stop to sell right now...

:lol

Wow they let you newcomers run wild these days.

spwolf

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

MS simply doesnt have presence of Sony in all of these countries... thats why Singstar is so big, they have local versions for 20+ european countries, with songs in their language... it is crazy.

Freki

Xisiqomelir said:
What an absurd insinuation. Do you think he pulled them from Sony Market Research? They're obviously GfK numbers.

I'd say they pulled these numbers out of the same hole where they found 4D previously ;-)!

spwolf said:
MS simply doesnt have presence of Sony in all of these countries... thats why Singstar is so big, they have local versions for 20+ european countries, with songs in their language... it is crazy.

And I can assure you that literally nobody will spend 600€ for a new Singstar version - the ps2 ones work just fine!

deftangel

took a programming course
GhaleonEB said:
Oh, I realize MS doesn't fare well there. I was just wondering what proportion of Europe we have some numbers for now. Thanks.

I did have a link to an Elspa/Charttrack PDF which had a breakdown for 2004. Sadly I can't find it now and the forum I posted it on has disabled it's search facility. Best I could find is this which looks like a similar chart but with no numbers....

http://www.euromonitor.com/UK_Europes_leading_video_game_market

Obviously that's 2004 but about as close as you'll get I think. UK is approx 30% of the EU market followed by Germany and France. However, 360 is reportedly doing much better here than anyone else so I'm not sure if the official 890k 360's sold in the UK by Dec 06 translates to continental Europe.

For the record, Crackdown was also refused a rating by the USK in Germany.

I'd be surprised if the PS3 is really doing significantly better at this point given the price and games available. Germany is PC gamer / RTS land. I can't see much on PS3 that would really drive hardware at this point. I've a couple of German gamers on my friends list, they tend to import Gears, Dead Rising etc from Holland :)

Top Bottom