• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY needs to change the controller for the PS4

Number45

A true testament to the sheer stupidity of the downward curving design.
I've never understood why these add-ons are so violently designed. I agree the triggers need to slope outwards from the controller (one of only two things I'd personally change), but I tried those triggers and they're just too much so I haven't been using them.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Er, barely anyone had tried it when it was shown, and the people who did said it was comfortable. Sony backpedaled on that design only when people who had never held the controller bitched about it because it "looked retarded".

There are people who say the current design is comfortable. That alone doesn't decide anything.

dose

You actually believe they will do that ... lol.
And you don't believe it will involve an orb ... lol.
Who's to say that it will be like the move controllers, but both have analogue sticks, that'd be no different to a normal controller except it's split in two.

My bet is they change the controller. Most games use the left stick to move and most people like the left stick to be where their thumb naturally falls. Outside of GAF I'm pretty sure this is what most market research will find though I'm open to evidence of the opposite. Iconic is one thing but you gotta give the customers what they want.

So why put the right stick, which a lot of games use in a more precise way than the left stick, in a place where their thumb doesn't 'naturally fall'?

Nintendo's Wii U pro controller looks like a good move.

Muffdraul

In my book, new console = new controller. I was disappointed that both the PS2 and PS3 recycled a controller I've been using since 1997. That's simply not how I prefer to roll.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The whole bitching about stick placement thing is just mass hypnosis bullshit.

I can't say I understand it myself. I borrowed a 360 for a while and instantly got used to the controller. Yet I can still use a dual shock quite comfortably. Both controllers fade into the background of my consciousness after a few seconds while I'm playing.

Sethos

Banned
And you don't believe it will involve an orb ... lol.
Who's to say that it will be like the move controllers, but both have analogue sticks, that'd be no different to a normal controller except it's split in two.

Yeah, if you can't see the flaw in that from a casual to core gaming perspective I feel sorry for you. You don't include that shit as a default option on those consoles.

Sony or Microsoft will not include some shitty Move or Kinect option as the default controller design, it'll be a standard controller and everything else is optional ( or included as a 'secondary option' ). The backlash for including some move based controller as the only option would be huge.

def sim

The whole bitching about stick placement thing is just mass hypnosis bullshit.

Yeah, definitely. The 360 controller and dualshock are shaped for their layout. I get the feeling people are forcing the design to one another and confusing themselves.

That said, I don't think asymmetrical would work as well on DS. The raised stick so close to your hand sounds awkward for anyone who has a problem with the controller's size.

I can't say I understand it myself. I borrowed a 360 for a while and instantly got used to the controller. Yet I can still use a dual shock quite comfortably. Both controllers fade into the background of my consciousness after a few seconds while I'm playing.

This is more the case for me with the DS3 because it has a bit of give to it. I'm always somewhat conscious of having a big hunk of plastic in my hands when I use a 360 controller.

Where is your evidence for 'outside of gaf' people wanting the stick moving? I for one think the stick positions are much better in a symmetrical positioning as they are now.

Hah, I'm making an assumption that has already been posted (by Silly.Mikey)-- MS, Valve, Nintendo (even Ouya) are all going with 'natural' positions leaving Sony to potentially be the only company going for the "reach in" position. But I'm just assuming that is based on something those companies have researched and it would be interesting to see anything that shows preference for one or the other.

milsorgen

Banned
Totally agree. In fact, I'm one of the most critical posters on this board when it comes to the PS2 controllers. It is time for a change. I have man-hands.

The shape latest 360 controller iteration is perfect. Replace the dpad with a better one and you've got the perfect controller.

This has been said a million times and it's something I agree with but for the love of god why don't they listen? They could dominate the market on PC controller input with just a simple Dpad upgrade.

dose

Yeah, if you can't see the flaw in that from a casual to core gaming perspective I feel sorry for you. You don't include that shit as a default option on those consoles.

Sony or Microsoft will not include some shitty Move or Kinect option as the default controller design, it'll be a standard controller and everything else is optional ( or included as a 'secondary option' ). The backlash for including some move based controller as the only option would be huge.
Just like the Wii had two separate move-based controllers as default you mean? The motion controller used alongside the nunchuck for when it was required for the more traditional games like COD? Lol, whatever.

There are people who say the current design is comfortable. That alone doesn't decide anything.

I'm not saying that alone decides it, I'm saying it wasn't like the boomerang controller was garbage in form and function from its inception. People bitched about it without having even tried it, now people are bitching because we've had the same controller for three generations now.

Me, I like the DS3 controller very much, and I wouldn't even be against the idea of it remaining largely the same for the PS4. But I still think the boomerang was killed off too early because of the typical gamer rage at anything new and wasn't given a fair chance.

Now I'll get hated.

People using the DS since the day they started gaming = "it's fine as it is".

People with a wider gaming experience = "it needs change".

Corto

Has anyone else also wore out the plastic/rubber surface of the sticks on the DS3? I had to buy a pair of those silicone caps to fix one. The grips add small bumps on them that added a better feel to them. They could also copy that.

feature-PSM3-Stick-Grips.jpg

GavinGT

Banned
Most 360 fans prefer the 360 controller.
Most PS3 fans prefer then PS3 controller.

What would the average person with no experience with either controller prefer?

Number45

Has anyone else also wore out the plastic/rubber surface of the sticks on the DS3? I had to buy a pair of those silicone caps to fix one. The grips add small bumps on them that added a better feel to them. They could also copy that.

I've been using these for a long time, they're great.

Lothars

Now I'll get hated.

Your not going to get hated for being wrong, I've used pretty much every gaming controller released and I still feel like Sony got it right with the Dual Shock and yes it can use some small changes but so does the 360 controller.

Sethos

Banned
Just like the Wii had two separate controllers as default you mean? The motion controller used alongside the nunchuck for when it was required for the more traditional games like COD? Lol, whatever.

Did you see those two words "Sony" and "Microsoft", I'm sure you didn't catch that. These are two HD consoles catering for a different crowd, a huge segment which plays competitive shooters and the like, the Call of Duty segment is massive - You'd be an idiot if you think any of these two companies would include some crappy motion based control option as their default controller to a crowd like that.

Bought some like that, fucking awful. Like those tack-on triggers you could buy the ones I bought felt just as cheap - Good grip but they were sliding around underneath. Even bought those competitive elongated ones ( forgot the name ) awful, awful and awful.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
All I'd change is tighter sticks and the shoulder buttons, maybe slightly longer handles. I would love the PS4 controller to have a left and right trigger like the one on the Nav controller with secondary L2/R2 buttons lower down on the handles where you're middle fingers naturally rest. That would feel good.

statham

if sony launches the next ps4 with the same controller its doomsday, MS atleast changed their controller to fit with the time.

Your not going to get hated for being wrong, I've used pretty much every gaming controller released and I still feel like Sony got it right with the Dual Shock and yes it can use some small changes but so does the 360 controller.

I never said the 360's controller is perfect. Face buttons don't always feel right, and the d-pad is virtually non-existent.

The DS has a form factor which was thought for 2D games using the d-pad.

Then Sony jumped on the analog bandwagon and applied the sticks. That's why I think it's not that great (while it's perfectly usable, like any controller on earth).

Now I'll get hated.

Been gaming since pre-Atari 2600. When controllers were un-economical monstrosities.

I'm 99% content with both the DS3 and the 360 pad. Improve the triggers on one, improve the d-pad on the other.

I've never understood this apparent need for asymmetrical dual analogue stick placement. My hands aren't asymmetrical, my thumbs are in the same place on both hands. I just don't see that there's any issue with a controller that's as symmetrical as my own hands.

TheMink

Most 360 fans prefer the 360 controller.
Most PS3 fans prefer then PS3 controller.

What would the average person with no experience with either controller prefer?

I would bet money on 50/50.

It actually seems like thats the way this thread is incidentally.

The only changes I would make to the DualShock:

1) Replace the grips with more ergonomic Gamecube-esque grips.

2) Change R2 and L2 back to DualShock 2 style or Dreamcast/Xbox style.

3) Improve the D-pad a little.

But really, it is perfectly adequate, and has been since introduced.

Edit:
Make original Dual Analog, wireless and shock.
That's all I need.
8CNFy.jpg

This is pretty close to what I'd want. The grips are a still a bit too bulbous, but the increased length makes a huge difference in comfort.

keit4

Banned
if sony launches the next ps4 with the same controller its doomsday, MS atleast changed their controller to fit with the time.

I agree with this. A controller needs to evolve according to what the new genres demands. Because of this, the DS (a pad with a 20 years old design) doesn't fit for genres like the FPS's or TPS's like the 360 pad does.

Sturdier build quality.
The 360's triggers.
The Vita's D-pad and micro switch face buttons.
Stick placement has never been a problem for me, I can go between the DS3 and 360 pad just fine.

Gaborn

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I think at LEAST one of the other companies is going to have a touch screen controller similar to the Wii U as the standard out of the box controller. I think the fact that 2 companies are going that way will force the third to do it as a viable option because games are going to be built around a sub screen.

kinda but without all the suck, thumb placement is huge. 360 controller feels natural.

Totally disagree with thumb placement being huge. To me there's zero difference between either placement.

Anyway, my point is about you saying that the Dualshock is outdated and that Microsoft changes their controller to better fit the times. Which is fine and dandy except they changed it to be more similar to the DS. Do you not see the irony here?

Top Bottom