• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PS4 Demand Will Outstrip Supply Into the Summer

TS-08

We have weekly percentage increase for both platforms in the UK but no clue what either was in the previous week, unless something changed.

I thought we got confirmation that the XB1 outsold it. I may have my wires crossed. Someone correct me if that is wrong.

driver116

I think they're probably overestimating this a bit to try to counteract that Microsoft will likely win this month due to Titanfall (sort of "look here, the crazy hype is still in our ballpark!" sort of comment). Sony has probably got at least a few more weeks of relative supply constraint in them, but I doubt it goes beyond that.

Who would even know this? I mean both both Sony and Microsoft's numbers for the month? And the month isn't even over yet + Infamous launches tomorrow.

Yes, but it's a leading indicator. I expect things to get a lot better before summer. People who want a PS4 can find one online with little effort.

Just go on amazon. They're there. They're pretty much always there now.
I'm aware. My point was, just because they're on Amazon doesn't mean they're in full supply everywhere.

You're right, someone from MCV tweeted saying that XB1 outsold PS4 for the week.
That's what it was, thanks. He even described it as "comfortably" outselling it I seem to remember.

Ah thanks, had missed that.
C3nvss9.png

Sure, this is true, but the supply issues have significantly lessened in the US, which means it will get a lot better elsewhere before summer. Supply is catching up with demand.

Another data point - the 2nd online retailer I checked (newegg) has them too.

The way I see it is:

Sony took most of the the monthly supply that was meant for European and rest of the world and moved it to America because they had a fight going on with the big release of Titanfall.

My theory starts to make more sense with the story of my local gameshops getting supplies every 2 weeks before but in March, we have yet to see one new batch.

Uh, not necessarily?

We'll see. Here is the US the tight supply issues are loosening. I expect the rest of the world to follow suit.

The way I see it is:

Sony took most of the the monthly supply that was meant for European and rest of the world and moved it to America because they had a fight going on with the big release of Titanfall.

My theory starts to make more sense with the story of my local gameshops getting supplies every 2 weeks before but in March, we have yet to see one new batch.

ok.

Phades

A key moment for Microsoft was the launch of “Titanfall,” a highly anticipated space-age war simulation game from Respawn Entertainment and Electronic ArtsEA +0.05%. The game was made exclusively for the Xbox One, older Xbox 360 and PCs, a move analysts had said could draw some customers’ attention away from PlayStation while juicing demand for Microsoft’s devices.

House said demand has remained steady in the U.S., including during the launch period for “Titanfall.” Sony will be launching its own exclusive PS4 title Friday, a superhero game called “Infamous: Second Son.”

Even in a article talking about a press release regarding stock of PS4s, they still can't help but mention Titanfall... I mean c'mon really? It is like life mirroring gaf mirroring life.

Actually, no screw it... When Sony releases their VR headset in (insert date here), I fully expect the news releases to get derailed about talk of titanfall's latest DLC and how it will detract interest from VR as a medium across all platforms, which somehow enriches the Xbox one experience beyond what anyone could have expected.

I think they're probably overestimating this a bit to try to counteract that Microsoft will likely win this month due to Titanfall (sort of "look here, the crazy hype is still in our ballpark!" sort of comment). Sony has probably got at least a few more weeks of relative supply constraint in them, but I doubt it goes beyond that.

Production should be up now too. It is hard imagining that the demand will outstrip supply past the end of April.

PS4's region free altogether, no matter where you get one from (unless you're talking about something like Apps).

Shouldn't we have all been ordering them from New Zeland too?

Besides, there is no way that whatever is left over in Japan is going to even dent Europe's drought, never mind North and South America.

Mikey Jr.

Apart from US and UK, if you want to buy a PS4, you are shit outta luck.

I know Sony are probably creating as many as they can, but they want to resupply the rest of the world as quickly as they can before MS in September.

EGM1966

I wonder at what point they lose potential customers over availability. If it is like this up to E3 and MS announces some sort of price but, they've messed up.

If you can't make more physical goods then you can't make 'em. They may lose some people to other options but TBH - so long as PS4 is perceived to be "worth the wait" and "the one to get" the likely percentage of lost sales will be small compared to the actual sales they're seeing.

If I had to wait 6 months for a PS4 at no stage would I cave and get a XBone.

Yeah, I don't get that thinking. Sega thought perhaps the shortage of PS2s would help out the Dreamcast. Rather than go home disappointed, why not pick up a Dreamcast for $199?

People went home disappointed.

FOOLS!

But yeah, I've seen this in the flesh at launch. One guy wanted a PS4, the store said "Well, we have Xbox Ones," and he replied: "In no way is that a consolation prize." Ouch.

But yeah, I've seen this in the flesh at launch. One guy wanted a PS4, the store said "Well, we have Xbox Ones," and he replied: "In no way is that a consolation prize." Ouch.

lol that guy's response is amazing. Where a simply "No thank you" would suffice, he goes that extra mile

SgtCobra

Remember ladies and gents, there are still countries left on this little beautiful planet where Amazon isn't available.

SnakeEyes

Banned
If consoles aren't on shelves when Bungie fans want the Destiny beta, someone has seriously fucked up.
I bet that Sony would be ready for Destiny, even as far as to possibly have a console bundle for it. People who would have preordered Destiny for the beta would already own the console anyway.

That is a spectacular answer, and totally justified :D

sikkinixx

Every where around me is always sold out, though maybe the new $449 price will deter some new buyers. I've seen maybe 2 since launch.

Now Xbox One? Walmart had 10, target 4, futureshop a pile, bestbuy a half dozen. Would have loved to snagged one to play titanfall but my choice was made back in November.

Apart from US and UK, if you want to buy a PS4, you are shit outta luck.

I know Sony are probably creating as many as they can, but they want to resupply the rest of the world as quickly as they can before MS in September.

I think it'll work out for them on that front. UK/US demand should ease significantly between now and the launch of the Xbone in tier 2 EMEA territories, Sony will will be able to shift focus a bit to the continent.

Wow, amazing if true. Though I stopped my Costco today and they had a palette of both the Xbone and the PS4 bundle (controller + 1year PS+) for $489

Lace

I renew my request for this gif to first have the Xbox logo on the hand, then Forza, then Titanfall, or some similar sequence of logos. The faucet has the PS4 logo of course.
dog-turning-on-water-faucet.gif
Hmm, I'll see what I can do. I'm still in the process of learning so it might be a little rough but I like the idea.

Quick

Banned
All we have are empty display boxes in Canada. Such a tease.

I haven't actually seen a box with an actual unit inside.

I've searched all around but can't find any sales numbers for the UK. If anybody has them I'd be grateful.

If you follow that tweet, someone posted a site with numbers. Christopher said it was bunk and the Xbox had the lead. I would dare quote the source though... I wouldn't quote this tool either.... The other source I will quote which Christopher also quoted later which contradicts what he said denying the other reports of the PS4 outselling the Xbox One on his twitter feed.

Xbox One sales boosted by Titanfall – but PlayStation 4 up too
The release of the Microsoft exclusive sci-fi shooter, Titanfall, has led to a 96% boost in sales of the Xbox One in the UK. But it seems PlayStation 4 is staying ahead. By Keith Stuart
View on web
So....

I wonder at what point they lose potential customers over availability. If it is like this up to E3 and MS announces some sort of price but, they've messed up.

I'm sure there are a few that have done this but I find the idea that any real number of people would just settle for a $500 machine instead to be completely ridiculous. When you're spending that much money, you generally know exactly what you want.

If you follow that tweet, someone posted a site with numbers. Christopher said it was bunk and the Xbox had the lead. I would dare quote the source though... I wouldn't quote this tool either.... The other source I will quote which Christopher also quoted later which contradicts what he said denying the other reports of the PS4 outselling the Xbox One on his twitter feed.

So....

In essence XB1 outsold PS4 "considerably" in the UK the week of titanfall's release even with PS4 getting supply BUT LTD PS4 has sold more than XB1 in the UK and is likely to keep that lead

gtj1092

In essence XB1 outsold PS4 "considerably" in the UK the week of titanfall's release even with PS4 getting supply BUT LTD PS4 has sold more than XB1 in the UK and is likely to keep that lead

I think comfortably in the UK is a few thousand units. Also who knows how people use language considering most gaming writers describe the differences between xone and ps4 games as "slight". The only thing you can take from his statement is that xone outsold the ps4 for the week.

Top Bottom