• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man remaster won't be free even if you own Spider-Man PS4

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
They are with Sackboys Big Adventure and Horizon Forbidden West. I guess with Sony is a game by game basis with them.

I definitely agree there. If there is a way to upgrade it they should let people know.

Seems silly to me honestly. Make it $10 (the difference between a ps5 and ps4 game) and call it a day. Most people would probably throw it down just to see how it looks and plays on the new machine. I shouldn't have to give em $10 to begin with but I'd honestly do it just see what the ps5 can do.

onQ123

kinda actually
Didn't hear anyone saying this when the meltdowns over Control: Ultimate Edition were happening

Yeah easy, just off the top of my head Gears 5 and Ori and the Will of the Wisps will both be getting "remastered" to run in 4K/120fps on Xbox Series X, free of charge for existing owners. Pretty sure at least one of the Forza games is coming as well. Even on this current generation, Xbox One X has been getting 4K versions of 360 games like Sonic Generations, Final Fantasy XIII, Crackdown, Left 4 Dead, Mirror's Edge... Since you asked.

They are not remastered they are patched / optimized

I completely missed this. I'm glad they're offering this but it makes it even more strange that they'd not do the same for Spiderman. I wonder if this is actually a Disney/Marvel thing where they have an agreement in place that prevents these kind of free upgrades?

I honestly have no idea what's going on with Spiderman. Your right that it could have something to do with Marvel. I mean MLB isn't multiplatform because Sony chose it to be. Maybe Disney/Marvel is making them do this for some reason?

It is pretty strange that Sony is taking a different path with their other games. But then again Sony owns those IPs. They don't own Spiderman.

As opposed to Spiderman that has been rebuilt from the ground up for PS5.

Right.
I've beaten it on the PS4 Pro but I don't remember the game looking as good as this.

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-23h41m56s869.png

Maybe it's more than just a simple up rez?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem took some pretty good images from the trailer. Since we are talking about paying for the upgrades I thought it might be nice to have them here. Up to you to decide if it's worth paying more.

I would definitely prefer free but the upgrades look pretty good in my opinion.

I believe the remastered version is as good looking, and look at the dynamic snow on their bodies! I'm pretty thirsty for more Horizon FW gameplay though.

Personally, won't play Spiderman PS4 again even with free upgrades, finished nearly everything along with the DLC's.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Okay, what if I purchased Gears 5 for $60 when it came out and didn't have gamepass?
Then now it's a free upgrade.

I don't understand how your personal feelings about the quality of Spiderman or 360 games effects the truth that Microsoft is giving you free next-gen upgrades to their first party games and Sony is not. Spin it all you want, doesn't change facts.

EDIT: and if we're using personal anecdotes as argument now, it's worth mentioning that when I get a Series X the first game I will be playing on it is Ori.

Microsoft is doing this for free because they have nothing else to sell the series X and Gamepass. I'm sorry but it's the truth. The console is out but the games are not ready yet so you get your free upgrades or else you wouldn't even notice if the game was running on the one X or Series X.

reptilex

Banned
Why would they get it for free? If Insomniac put in the time and effort to give it a facelift for PS5 then they should be compensated for thier work, if you want it that bad. Im so sick of these cheap ass entitled gamers, get over yourself.

Scums like you are why they are trying these scams on most sane people. You DON'T pay for updates. This is not a new licence and product, this is a patch, you don't pay for patches for to run in the best condition when you already bought the game.

People like you would say "why would you get iOS/Android update for free?"

onQ123

As opposed to Spiderman that has been rebuilt from the ground up for PS5.

Right.

Not completely rebuilt but they are using new assets

The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We’ll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again.

KAOS

Here's a quick question will the ps4 spiderman save work on the ps 5 not-so-smart delivery upgrade version?

That's because Xbox gamers aren't stupid enough to buy the same game multiple times. Sony Bros love to buy them over and over so Sony gives them what they love.

PS5 BC with older gens? Oh hell NO, who would want to play those old games?

Remaster of an 11 year old PS3 game? Oh hell yes here's our $70. Thank you Sony!
But they are stupid enough to buy a system with no games on it.

Hawk269

This would be easier to accept if it was a game that released a long time ago, like Demon Souls and they completely reworked the game for a next gen console. Being that this game just came out like 2 years ago and charging people that already own the PS4 version does kind of stings.

I mean, Gears of War 5 is being updated with a lot of new graphical features that go beyond what was available on the PC version of the game and that is going to be a free upgrade. I know it is not an apples to apples comparison, but still stings that a game that came out in 2018 is being updated for the new console and they are going to charge people that already own the game.

Shmunter

Gears Tactics and The Medium alone are far better than what Sony has with PS4 DLC and an 11 year old game for $70. Oh wait I forgot Bugsnax, that looks like a real winner :ROFLMAO:
Now now, hope you’re not sniffing the kitty litter too hard. 🤪

Last edited:
That's because Xbox gamers aren't stupid enough to buy the same game multiple times. Sony Bros love to buy them over and over so Sony gives them what they love.

PS5 BC with older gens? Oh hell NO, who would want to play those old games?

Remaster of an 11 year old PS3 game? Oh hell yes here's our $70. Thank you Sony!
Well at least you, whatever kind of childish loyalty you have, are too stupid to differentiate between remaster and remake....

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm still kinda confused on this. Can I buy spiderman remastered separately? I really don't want miles morales
Not at this time. It's part of the Ultimate Edition bundle.

Just wait it out.

It'll come. They are bundling now to hook in gamers to the $70 US Ultimate copy. As soon as sales thin out, the Spidey Remaster will come later on its own.

Lol. I'm struggling to even think if they've put out a bad game?!? I know they put out a few VR Occulus games I never got to try.
FUSE

We don't talk about that one.

As for good games they made that would be Ratchet and Clank, Spyro, Spider-Man, Resistance and Sunset Overdrive.

Last edited:

scalman

seems good that i didint played it yet then.
and nobody asking to buy it or forcing so its your choice. and why you would want play same game again anyway.

Last edited:
I would LOVE for the upgrade to be free and I think it would be good PR for Sony, that being said we got the game we paid for 2 years ago, they put in extra work and spent money on this so asking people to spend $20 on it (MM is $50 without it) isn't too much to ask, it's not like the base game isn't still playable on PS5.

When it comes to Gears what else does MS have to show off their new console with? no new first party AAA games are going to be ready this year and possibly not even next year, it's also a newer game than Spider-Man. Not only that but most people didn't buy Gears they play it on GP so it's just another way to try to keep people paying their monthly sub fee, yeah people who bought it get the update free but the game seems to have been the worst selling in the franchise thanks to GP.

Woodchipper

Was The Last of Us Remastered Free for those owning the original on PS3? If I recall correctly it wasn’t, so this is nothing new, and I really don’t get why it’s such a big deal.

thelastword

Banned
What's the problem, Spiderman will be BC on PS5.....If you want further enhancements, 4K 60, much faster loadtimes. improved puddles which was all the rage, get the remaster........All that Work Insomniac is putting in, Mile Morales, Spider Remaster, rumors of Resistance Remaster.....Don't you think their hard work deserves some reward......Do people think that game development is sourced or funded by forum talk and elitist energy?

Cato

Banned
None of the other remasters have been free either so I don't see the issue.

I bought GTAV on ps3, then I had to buy it again on PS4. DAMN YOU SONY! /s

Cant afford to buy a remaster? then don't buy it. Problem solved.

thelastword

Banned
CDPR is hiring an entire studio to remaster The Witcher 3 for next gen and giving it away to everyone who owns the game.
An entire studio? CDPR will basically give you Witcher 3 on ultra settings on console. I can pay for a Witcher Remake that looks like the original trailer....I'll pay $60......Your expectations of this new Witcher remaster will leave you severely disappointed....Besides, CDPR wants good graces for Cyberpunk, which is already known to have tonnes of bugs and missing features from what they originally pitched.....

20 dollar difference for adding the remaster+its 3 DLCs in a bundle with Spiderman Miles Morales.

We don't know if they are going to sell it separatedly, and if it's the case at which price, but I'd say it's very likely.
I think a standalone Spiderman Remaster should be at least $50, just like Miles Morales....
I wasn't expecting this for free, that's just crazy. A 30$ upgrade would be nice.

I understand that Xbox is giving free upgrades for Gears 5 and Forza 4 but they are desperate to sell consoles and Gamepass and they don't have an impressive library. What are they going to do? Sell Remastered Crackdown 3? They rely on Halo 5 and Gears.
No one is going to buy a remaster of Gears 5, Forza and Crackdown at $60 farless $70. These games hardly moved units at full price when they launched brand new and were available for $1 gamepass subs day and date.......MS simply cant ask for money for these games at this point, the value on these games are certainly not the same as Spiderman and Sony First party games......Sony games have the value of Iphone of Samsung Phones, whilst MS games have the value of BLU.....
I've never understood those that throw a hissy fit over companies NOT giving them games for free.
I mean, it's nice that some companies are giving free upgrades but, and here's the thing, they don't have to.

Let's say you buy a DVD of a movie and later the Blu-Ray comes out. Why should you get the latter for free?
You already have the product. Tough shit if a better version of it releases at a later date and you can't get it.
See....I bought a Sony XBR-77A9G Oled last year, I do expect to get the HDMI 2.1, 8K version as a free upgrade later this year....

They are with Sackboys Big Adventure and Horizon Forbidden West. I guess with Sony is a game by game basis with them..
That’s not really comparable to the Spiderman remaster.

The PS4/PS5 versions of those games are releasing at the same time. Spiderman came out 2 years ago. People in this thread literally think that they should be able to buy a vanilla PS4 copy for $10 and be entitled to PS5 enhancements for free.

Top Bottom