• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

J@hranimo

Banned
Moray has seen some considerable changes, beyond the addition of ink rails. Here is a comparison image I took. I couldn't duplicated the camera angle, but the differences should be easy to notice regardless.

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_01769.jpg

tumblr_oqupt56nnK1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

The ramps to get to snipe are much wider. The yellow boxes run perpendicular to the walls, which should be nice for squiffer play. Everything seems less cramped.

And all walkways are much wider.
Wii_U_screenshot_TV_01769.jpg

Ok so I knew they changed the walkways! They seemed wider since the Hero Mode trailer. Some of those other changes are really good, hopefully this overall makes it a better map.

Inspired by Twintelle I see.

Goddammit lol.

I think the ink is a bit too glossy, it's like they're trying too hard to show improved lighting.

Also disappointed that they moved the Moray Towers Splat Zones. They're so close now, they could be just one big zone at the center of the maps. The two small zones far apart is what made Moray and Port Mackerel special.

The grid pattern for zone transparency is a nice new discreet effect.
splatoon2_splat-zone-qus33.png

13ruce

Banned
Grind rails in multiplayer? Epic.
I hope the ranked battle modes are able to be chosen seperately now it made sense on Wii Us low install base (game sold well anyway). But on Switch the future looks bright so i hope we have more modes outside ranked now.

Do we know for sure if the rails in moray tower work like splatoon 1's ink rails or are they the new grind rails of splatoon 2?

Pachimari

I need to follow this thread more as I'm gonna play it and be there day one. I absolutely loved the first one. Is the main thread us Splatoon players hang out in , or is there some kind of Discord?

J@hranimo

Banned
I think the ink is a bit too glossy, it's like they're trying too hard to show improved lighting.

Also disappointed that they moved the Moray Towers Splat Zones. They're so close now, they could be just one big zone at the center of the maps. The two small zones far apart is what made Moray and Port Mackerel special.

The grid pattern for zone transparency is a nice new discreet effect.
splatoon2_splat-zone-qus33.png

The new zones are actually looking to be a lot better. The previous zones really came down to "does your team their zone pinned down with the eliter?" with making it way too hard to push through without a coordinated team.

These zones allow for more hectic battle as well as those ink lines going right over the mid enables more access to the zones and overall pressure against the charger on the sniper perch. I'm actually looking forward to playing on one of my least liked maps in the sequel...crazy.

Grind rails in multiplayer? Epic.
I hope the ranked battle modes are able to be chosen seperately now it made sense on Wii Us low install base (game sold well anyway). But on Switch the future looks bright so i hope we have more modes outside ranked now.

This is one of my most wanted things in Splatoon 2 as well, but since the other modes are still explicitly called "Ranked Modes" I don't think they're going to do that =/

Jims

Is the main snipe not as high up on Moray anymore? It could be an optical illusion because the new ramp goes higher against the bottom rim, but it looks like they lowered it just a little... Like a Burst Bomb could paint the wall pretty easily. It been fun seeing Nintendo play around with Moray Towers after all this time. They know there are people who like it and they're determined to get the design right.

I wanna see what a Mini Splatling or N-Zap would look like with a full Ink Resistance build. Could be kinda silly.

(Although if it's stackable now, they might nerf it a little in advance.)

D.Lo

Damn I used to be able to win rainmaker solo with the inkzooka style attack if my team sucked. Rush in as far as possible to gain ground and a lead (or possibly even a knockout) and defend. The new attack will make that impossible.

Geg

Poison Mist looks to be this game's version of the disruptors, which were called poison balls in Japan

Doorman

YES MY DISRUPTOR BABY IS BACK

...I kinda wish it came with almost anything but the Splashdown though. I guess it could be workable for safe landings at least.

Azure J

I wanna see some new subs/more of the new specials asap.

YES MY DISRUPTOR BABY IS BACK

...I kinda wish it came with almost anything but the Splashdown though. I guess it could be workable for safe landings at least.

fuk disruptors >:U!!!

Doorman

The mist effect is a neat change actually, since it's not just a one hit and you're boned situation anymore. If you only wind up on the outskirt of the cloud, it means you can get out of it quickly and not suffer the effect too much. I'd think this would be a change that disruptor-haters *cough* would appreciate.

The one thing it doesn't show us in the tweet is whether or not disrupted opponents still have the audio and visual feedback of the debuff like the original had. If the cloud lingers for a couple seconds this will be really handy at choke points, but you may not get to use them as faux point sensors anymore.

J@hranimo

Banned
This new blaster with disruptor/splashdown sounds fantastic honestly. Gonna run TC early game all over again just like two years ago!

D.Lo

So I first choose a character (like the roller, or sniper) and then I get to choose a weapon set which is my secondary items?
Weapons are not tied to characters. You can make and outfit any character you want and all can use all weapons.

You choose a pre-set loadout.

Luigiv

Do you get to choose which gadget you wanna bring with you into battle, or are they character specific?

They're load out specific, so you can't pick and choose the exact combination of you want, though the game does give you quite a few different combinations for each weapon so you should be able to find something you like.

So I first choose a character (like the roller, or sniper) and then I get to choose a weapon set which is my secondary items?

No, from the store you have different assortments of sets. For example there could be a variant of a Slosher that comes with Ink Bomb and has a Splashdown special.

Kinokou

I really hope they will bring my dream combo of the sprinkler and echo locator onto more stuff that is not so slow to fire or run with.

Doorman

It feels like they took the two main qualities of the original seeker (makes a trail of ink, homes in on enemies), and divided it into two new subs that do thise two things better in the curling bomb and robobomb, respectively.

If this thing can detect squids hiding in ink then it could be a pretty powerful tool. Feels a lot like the mistruptor and tentamissiles in the sense that the game has a lot of items now that may not necessarily secure kills, but do force movement.

Now I just need to find a place that has it available for pre-order...

Hopefully they'll release the Joy-Con, too, so I don't have to import!

J@hranimo

Banned
It feels like they took the two main qualities of the original seeker (makes a trail of ink, homes in on enemies), and divided it into two new subs that do thise two things better in the curling bomb and robobomb, respectively.

If this thing can detect squids hiding in ink then it could be a pretty powerful tool. Feels a lot like the mistruptor and tentamissiles in the sense that the game has a lot of items now that may not necessarily secure kills, but do force movement.

That might be the case actually.

phanphare

Banned
Simple question, anymore testfire before release? I missed it last time and curious about the game.

we don't know but I feel like there should be another round of testfires

the last ones were at the end of March and the game doesn't release until mid-late July

Doorman

Kinda feels to me like an amalgamation of the vanilla and Forge pro sets. Giving it Inkstorm (or whatever it's going to be called in NA) should help mitigate the Pro's lack of inking ability. Seems like a decent kit for it overall, since it seems all about safely exposing and disposing of enemies.

I want to also take a second to express my extreme dismay at the revelation from the "summer games" trailer, where it was shown that the vanilla splattershot kit was altered. They've seemingly replaced its Tenta-Missiles special with Splashdown instead. Meanwhile the Dualies got an adjustment yet again, taking on the splattershot's kit of burst bomb/tenta missiles, thus rendering the vanilla splattershot useless in comparison. Gee thanks Nintendo, can't wait for the goddamned Tentatek variant to totally usurp the original yet again.

Geg

Doorman how many times have I said to not pay attention to that stuff, they change it literally every time we see it lol

Top Bottom