• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

phanphare

Banned
I despise gyro controls on games. I really really do not enjoy using it as a primary control method.

I think what makes Splatoons worse is the aiming with the stick on the X axis plus gyro combo. If they defaulted to something closer to Zelda I feel like a lot more people would use it.

I also think forcing it upon people is a dumb idea. They did it on the first game too. No mention of "do you want to keep using motion controls?". That said the game plays great on the pro controller with sensitivity reduced.

Zelda's setup with the right stick + gyro is kind of awful tho

pretty sure when you hit the stick it overrides the gyro so you can't use both simultaneously which is like the whole reason the gyro + stick setup is so good

also having the right stick control both axes would be a calibration nightmare for this game whereas in Zelda it's just used in specific situations

edit: also it's not forced

Solobbos

Something awesome I noticed was how much better the game performed on wired connection than a wired Wii U. In Wii U game streams I could always see how the enemies popped just after getting hit. Here in Finland, the hit registration was always a bit of and the enemies went poof a bit after getting hit. Now in the Switch version, they died as fast as they did in the American and Japanese Wii U streams. So, the netcode in Scandinavia has been improved a ton.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I played only docked and it didn't look much different from Wii U, so my guess is that it was still 720p, but I can't tell for sure.

But I know how much crisper Splatoon on CEMU at 1080p looks, so I hope they're able to increase the resolution until the release.

And I played it with the Pro Controller and it felt perfect.

Grakl

Excellent reply and in no way a shitpost. Thanks for your contribution.

I haven't seen anyone else mention the weird blocky fingers in the results screen when you see a close-up of your avatar. Am I the only person bothered by that?
Why is roller op tho

atr0cious

I actually have to play the first one too, I'm not sure the person I'm lending it from has the Wii U Pro Controller but might play it with that + motion controls if he does have it.
Or does the first one support that in campaign?
Nah, gotta be gamepad only, though secretly, it's still better then the switch because of the map.

roytheone

It's because the right analogue stick is awkwardly placed. When you use the gyro controls on this game, you have to marry them alongside controlling the camera at the same time, and my one handheld game felt off cos I felt like I couldn't reach the jump button very easily from the camera button.

It was much easier with the pro controller I felt.

Thanks, good to know it is in fact handheld mode being less ideal for it and not only me not being used to it. Will probably use stick controls in handheld mode.

So this is my first time playing Splatoon. I immediately turned the motion controls off, but if anyone wiser suggests that they're better, than I'll give them a shot again.
I just felt like doing something more comfortable when I only had an hour to play.
I'm using the Joy Cons by the way. Nobody has the Pro Con around these parts.

I'm really really good at shooters, and I've kinda stopped playing the genre over the past few years as I get bored of it. Normally there's little challenge, and post-COD4 world has lead to a lot of shooters focusing on strange unloveable gimmicks rather than strategy.
I really miss SOCOM (yes another one of those guys), and having more tactical depth in my multiplayer games.

Anyway, though I'm placing first in all of my games of Splatoon, I'm enjoying the breath of fresh air of it not really being about combat, and I'm loving the platforming/pathfinding game that's going for on as one traverses the map.
If this game could be played with dedicated squid squads/clans, and had voice chat, then it could be a really awesome experience.

It took me a while to figure out the super jump mechanic, or to even use the splat pack (though I was winning fine without them).
I still don't understand exactly what does what amount of damage, as sometimes enemies seem to take more shots then others before dying.
If there's a way to swim (is that what it's called?) faster I'd love that as well. I'm sure I have lots to learn and I'm excited to buy this when it come out!

The only weapon I used was the Splat Dual Pistol thingies, but I'll try out more tonight.
I really wish this had friends list stuff and clans... :

People talking shit on the motion controls are never gonna git gud at Splatoon tbh. The gyro in the original and this are key to making the quick movements you need and I think you're putting yourself at a massive disadvantage without using them. :/

Geg

People don't like to learn new things. Lots of 'I tried it for 5 minutes and I don't like it'.

I remember getting used to gyro controls really quickly in the original testfire 2 years ago, but that might just be because I don't play many shooters and didn't have a lot of stuff ingrained in my head

I really wish this had friends list stuff and clans... :
The full game will. Hopefully they'll allow private rooms right away this time around instead of adding it in an update after two months like the first game.

The two maps were kind of plain for Splatoon maps, yeah, but they probably didn't want to go with anything too fancy or complicated for this when there's a lot of newcomers to the game.

The first game started off with pretty straightforward maps too, then added conveyor belts, moving platforms, and stuff like that. I imagine they'll do something similar for this game to let newcomers adjust as they add more complex elements to the maps.

8bit

Knows the Score
Only played for a few minutes, but yeah it's splatoon. Missing the mini map though. Seemed to be a mix of rollers and newbies so far. Will drop in again tomorrow.

atr0cious

People talking shit on the motion controls are never gonna git gud at Splatoon tbh. The gyro in the original and this are key to making the quick movements you need and I think you're putting yourself at a massive disadvantage without using them. :/
Once people realize how important jump shots are, they'll change their minds. Gyro allows you to run circles around analog.

NateDrake

I played only docked and it didn't look much different from Wii U, so my guess is that it was still 720p, but I can't tell for sure.

But I know how much crisper Splatoon on CEMU at 1080p looks, so I hope they're able to increase the resolution until the release.

And I played it with the Pro Controller and it felt perfect.

All recent demos for Splatoon 2 have been 720p so odds are good this may still be rendering at that resolution.

Steiner

Banned
Why is roller op tho

I took the time to explain it in my post, that you took absolutely no time to thoughtfully respond to.

It's the roller's range that bothers me. Others may disagree, but I feel like the range at which the roller can achieve a 1-to-2 hit kill using the ink flick is just too forgiving. I had multiple skirmishes with roller users at what I would call about 10-15 real world feet apart, and while using splat duelies or the standard automatic weapon with greater range, I'd get a few pops in before getting one-shotted.

Yes, you can dodge with the duelies, and that flick is telegraphed, but getting out of the way isn't always an option when you're surrounded by enemy ink, and in a ranged one-on-one encounter, it's a tough pill to swallow losing to a weapon that will insta-kill you if it touches you at close range as well.

I've experienced the power of the roller first-hand, as well. I used it in three matches because I love the special they assigned to it for this test fire. The range and accuracy of the jumping ink flick is just ridiculous.

Having had ZERO problems with my Internet connection in the last 3-4 months, it died on me 20 minutes before the first window, and only came back half an hour ago. Guess I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Reading the impressions here will tide me over.

atr0cious

I took the time to explain it in my post, that you took absolutely no time to thoughtfully respond to.

It's the roller's range that bothers me. Others may disagree, but I feel like the range at which the roller can achieve a 1-to-2 hit kill using the ink flick is just too forgiving. I had multiple skirmishes with roller users at what I would call about 10-15 real world feet apart, and while using splat duelies or the standard automatic weapon with greater range, I'd get a few pops in before getting one-shotted.

Yes, you can dodge with the duelies, and that flick is telegraphed, but getting out of the way isn't always an option when you're surrounded by enemy ink, and in a ranged one-on-one encounter, it's a tough pill to swallow losing to a weapon that will insta-kill you if it touches you at close range as well.

I've experienced the power of the roller first-hand, as well. I used it in three matches because I love the special they assigned to it for this test fire. The range and accuracy of the jumping ink flick is just ridiculous.
It's not OP. It's range is limited, and the paint loses damage the further away you are. On top of that, the jump swing is a single column so you have to actually aim ranged shots to be effective. Close range, of course it's effective, that's it's specialty.

So use your sub to control their movement and keep a little range and they're easy.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Missed the first one. Gonna try and get in at the 3am (GMT) one.

How is it guys?

It's Splatoon, new weapon and specials are interesting. Maps are okay, don't really have much verticality to show off which is a tad disappointing. Looks very crisp on handheld mode. New music is 10/10.

Steiner

Banned
It's not OP. It's range is limited, and the paint loses damage the further away you are. On top of that, the jump swing is a single column so you have to actually aim ranged shots to be effective. Close range, of course it's effective, that's it's specialty.

So use your sub to control their movement and keep a little range and they're easy.

I understand its limitations in theory, but in practice I think it could use some tweaking. I was playing with some serious Japanese dudes in my lobbies who were getting 10+ splats with their rollers and it just... It wasn't fun, man. I sunk hundreds of hours into the first Splatoon so I know my way around a roller, but I saw them in very capable hands this afternoon and came away a little salty. Too many ranged battles went the wrong way.

hatchx

Banned
All recent demos for Splatoon 2 have been 720p so odds are good this may still be rendering at that resolution.

Looked 720p to me on my TV.
I highly doubt Splatoon 2 will run at above 720p when it ships. Smooth framerate and netcode are probably taking priority.

Has any type of local multiplayer been confirmed? I wonder if they would add a 2player local online play, like in Mario Kart 8. I'm sure they could maintain framerate in docked mode.

I played a ton of Splatoon using analog controls and consistently was first or second on winning teams.

atr0cious

I understand its limitations in theory, but in practice I think it could use some tweaking. I was playing with some serious Japanese dudes in my lobbies who were getting 10+ splats with their rollers and it just... It wasn't fun, man. I sunk hundreds of hours into the first Splatoon so I know my way around a roller, but I saw them in very capable hands this afternoon and came away a little salty. Too many ranged battles went the wrong way.
They​'re getting splats because there's a bunch of new people who don't know how to play, I'm betting some folks still stop and shoot like it's CoD, doesn't make the roller OP. You can easily see the weaknesses it has, even in the hand of a vet. The only OPness was when the paint splash was bugged in the first splatoon and every flick hit for max damage.
I played a ton of Splatoon using analog controls and consistently was first or second on winning teams.
And you'll get beat by someone with gyro with the same skill level.

Jintor

i only played two or three matches with a roller but i was feeling the paint flick as a nerf actually. sure it gies you range but you're a goddamn roller, you don't want to be fucking around with range if you can help it

Geg

I'm still going to miss miiverse posts :(

I'm almost positive I read an interview where the producer or one of the directors said they want to implement some kind of equivalent for posting messages and pictures to the game because they know that's a feature lots of people liked.

Gyro controls felt a little weird. Are they only locked to the y-axis? I like them in Breath of the Wild for making small aim adjustments, but the gyro works when aiming in all directions. What's the optimal way to use them in Splatoon?

Steiner

Banned
I'm almost positive I read an interview where the producer or one of the directors said they want to implement some kind of equivalent for posting messages and pictures to the game because they know that's a feature lots of people liked.

We need an alternative on the Switch, not just for Splatoon. I realized that, even when friends are online, it just feels so lonely. Where's out community hub?! Soft-launch didn't bother me when I had so much BotW to explore, but now that I've settled in with my Switch I'm sorely missing an online community.

Experien

I never had issues with Splatoon 1 gyro aiming but this one felt a little off. Maybe it was the guns I used but did anyone else have that problem too?

Tangeroo

No, and that's not my argument. It's just this idea of "use motion controls or you'll be a loser" is patently false. You can win, and win consistently, not using them. They aren't the be all end all.

That's fair. I can see analog only being viable for weapons like Rollers and short range guns. But you will be at a significant disadvantage when using Chargers & long-range rifles like Squelchers, especially when dealing with enemies at a different height.

Had off today so I played a few matches this afternoon. Definitely plays just as great as the original. Looking forward to playing the fill game this Summer! Going to try and play again on one of the other play sessions this weekend to try portable mode.

Top Bottom