• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon singleplayer campaign announced

DizzyCrow

Quick question; the real-time updating map that shows the ink layout of the game goes where in this? Having the map be a toggle (or worse, a hold to access) ruins a part of the strategic element of the game by making you pause to check it rather than glance down quickly while playing...
On the gamepad and it also shows the location of your teammates.

Datschge

Side note, I think it would have been great for Nintendo to finally incorporate system-wide "accomplisments" with the advent of these games. Would have really been great for competitive / completionist gamers.
I can see that happen as part of the semi-announced recommendation system they talked at the last QA.

On the left is a big ol' paint brush. Very stylish too, not like the obvious tear drop shaped brush. It's definitely inspired by the crazy big brushes they have in Japan (are they ceremonial? used to paint big signs back in the day?).

Kinda OT, but it's a performance art thing, as far as I know there's no cultural background to it other than, well, being calligraphy. It's a relatively recent phenomenon that's popular particularly with a high school age audience and often done to pop music, so it's pretty appropriate that the Inklings would use something based on it.

DaBoss

I'm thinking the momentum of Mario Kart 8 --> Super Smash Bros. U ----> Splatoon with the online gameplay, DLC concent, and Amiibo support is going to be an admirable invocation for several gamers to invest in the system.

Side note, I think it would have been great for Nintendo to finally incorporate system-wide "accomplisments" with the advent of these games. Would have really been great for competitive / completionist gamers.
I don't feel multiplayer focused games are the ones they should bring system-wide achievements for. It should be limited to the offline portion of the game, but agree with you otherwise. Would be nice for those who want them.
Quick question; the real-time updating map that shows the ink layout of the game goes where in this? Having the map be a toggle (or worse, a hold to access) ruins a part of the strategic element of the game by making you pause to check it rather than glance down quickly while playing...
When you consider the fact that you won't change where you look if the map were to be a toggle on the main screen, it wouldn't really make as significant of a difference as you're claiming. I can also see them including a mini-map on the main screen just to accommodate for other control schemes like how Mario Kart 8 does it.

TheMoon

It looks so weird. In a neat, fun way, though. The SP has shades of Mario Sunshine, Galaxy, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Zelda, just from the trailer. I like the weirdness of it and the odd music. Are some Sakamoto (RH/WW) peeps working on this? It has that odd vibe to it (in a good way).

No, it's an EAD joint. Not SPD. Animal Crossing peeps. Plenty weird there too. ;)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I hope they include other control methods too, so it's easier to kick some asses online.

Edit: having played this, I think you should first try it before dismiss the analog+gyro and the map on the gamepad. Good luck with your wiimote when I'll swim in the ink behind you.

Nicktendo86

I'd bet the people saying this should have had Mario in it are the same people who complain that Nintendo rely too much on Mario and should make more new ips. With some people, Nintendo just cannot win.

The more I see of this the more I fall in love with it. Hope it does have amiibo support and would lend itself wonderfully to a tie in cartoon of some sort. A demo would be great marketing as well, give it out with Smash Bros or something. Don't know why they don't do things like that.

I'm optimistic about the gyro controls. Nintendo knows how to handle them pretty well and it feels pretty good in combination with the sticks. It was well done in WWHD

Sendou

I'm optimistic about the gyro controls. Nintendo knows how to handle them pretty well and it feels pretty good in combination with the sticks. It was well done in WWHD

Gyro+stick for the win.

If anyone disagrees we can settle it when Splatoon comes out. Prepare to get splashed.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Gyro+stick for the win.

If anyone disagrees we can settle it when Splatoon comes out. Prepare to get splashed.

Really. I think people somehow underestimate how crazy and fast the multiplayer in this is. Like splash-squid-swim-jump-splash-splash-the end.

OryoN

i mean i love that it has single player

but its so sad that single player has to be announced

It is!

- Introduce a campaign only game, and people complain about the lack of multiplayer.
- Introduce a multiplayer only game, and people complain about the lack of campaign.

I really dislike the mindset that tries to dictate the vision of a developer's game, rather than enjoy it for what it is, if you find it appealing. I'm glad Splatoon has a campaign mode, but from day-1 Nintendo demonstrated the core hook of the game is the multiplayer, and I had absolutely no problem supporting that vision.

Granted, having both modes doesn't hurt(though there's usually an internal development risk of divided attention), and there are some obvious cases where adding either mode seems like a no-brainer. However, it's unfortunate that some people treat having both modes as though it's an absolute requirement, even when it's unnecessary to the vision, core elements, and ultimate enjoyment of a game.

phanphare

Banned

I'm more than optimistic. I think it'll be the best way to control the game for sure. WWHD converted me. I use the stick for broad strokes and the gyro for fine tuning. it works so amazingly well. you'll probably be able to adjust the sensitivity too.

Zero²;137711227 said:
It really does? How? The FLUDD?

If anything it resembles Galaxy more, with the jumpers to go to the another part of the stage.

I'm not the only who immediately thought of Mario Sunshine after seeing the trailer. Just saying.

TheMoon

Gyro+stick for the win.

Best kept secret in gaming: motion controls > sticks.

This fact has been so well hidden that people don't even realize that mouse-aim is also a form of motion controls and explains why it along with Wiimote and GamePad/3DS gyro aiming is superior.

Best kept secret in gaming: motion controls > sticks.

This fact has been so well hidden that people don't even realize that mouse-aim is also a form of motion controls and explains why it along with Wiimote and GamePad/3DS gyro aiming is superior.

I was done with Pikmin 3 until someone suggested the Wiimote + nunchuk controls. Now it's actually a great game. It indeed sucks that Nintendo abandoned the Wiimote this gen when I really enjoyed the setup far more than what they're offering with the Wiipad.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Hmm, I don't think it's likely, to be honest. I don't think they cross over in that way between EAD and SPD.

EAD and SPD development staff (not producers though) transfer quite often. But I actually think the SPD development sector was mostly dissolved into EAD and SDD during the past year. I am not sure yet.

I'm not sure how Sakamoto's small development group was restructured amid all the shuffling.

Penguin

I wonder if there will be any other modes which is why Inklings vs Octopis online.

Seems like could be something different.

Since we haven't seen a ton in the way of diff modes yet

I don't think I've ever read someone saying they didn't like stick + gyro after using it. Everyone says "ew sounds awful" and then they try it and go "oh this is actually pretty alright" and then they beat the OoT 3DS archery challenge in record time and say "damn son this is really great."

It is!

- Introduce a campaign only game, and people complain about the lack of multiplayer.
- Introduce a multiplayer only game, and people complain about the lack of campaign.

I really dislike the mindset that tries to dictate the vision of a developer's game, rather than enjoy it for what it is, if you find it appealing. I'm glad Splatoon has a campaign mode, but from day-1 Nintendo demonstrated the core hook of the game is the multiplayer, and I had absolutely no problem supporting that vision.

Granted, having both modes doesn't hurt(though there's usually an internal development risk of divided attention), and there are some obvious cases where adding either mode seems like a no-brainer. However, it's unfortunate that some people treat having both modes as though it's an absolute requirement, even when it's unnecessary to the vision, core elements, and ultimate enjoyment of a game.

While they only revealed the single player now, they had said at E3 that the game had a campaign, they just didn't feel it made sense to show there.

Mdk7

CJcczsr.jpg

someone mind translating this:

Man i love the art in this game.

All sounds good except for the bolded part. Have we had any official confirmation or hands on reports of not having to wave around the controller to aim? Because if that's the only option that's a deal breaker for me.

Seriously, sod gyro controls.
Agreed. I need traditional 3rd person aiming controls. Otherwise I just can't see myself wanting to play this - I really dislike gyro aiming.

TheMoon

Agreed. I need traditional 3rd person aiming controls. Otherwise I just can't see myself wanting to play this - I really dislike gyro aiming.

If you had read a few posts further (or paid attention during E3) you'd know that you can instantly switch between sticks and gyro. You're welcome to use your inferior controls and get owned :D

Zero²

they are optional, but in any case they are also great if used in an integrated way with the analog stick. no wave around, they simply add another input that could be great if used together with the analog sticks.
Kinda like WWHD aiming?

jmizzal

I wonder if there will be any other modes which is why Inklings vs Octopis online.

Seems like could be something different.

Since we haven't seen a ton in the way of diff modes yet

Maybe a hoard mode online, and online campaign co-op would be cool

guys, don't worry about the controls. Gyro+stick combination is fantastic =)

I'm pretty sure the game will support all controllers anyways, Gamepad, Pro controller, CC, and Wiimote plus

The trailer showed a reticle for a split moment in the trailer, and I don't think I've seen it before in any other media of the game, or even in the demos. Meaning that Wiimote/Nunchuck is very much a possibility.

The trailer showed a reticle for a split moment in the trailer, and I don't think I've seen it before in any other media of the game, or even in the demos. Meaning that Wiimote/Nunchuck is very much a possibility.

Are you sure that wasn't just while using a turret? Link to the timecode?

Azure J

You guys just can't do this to me.

If Splatoon has Wiimote pointer controls...

ihJ6rfp68jNym.jpg

All I ever wanted during the Wii generation was something as funky as this with pointer controls.

Neiteio

I downsized my two favorite screens and combined them into one image:

splatoon-newip01jpg4xsco.jpg

Look at all of the character in that image.

I love the hipster/skatepunk heroes and emo villains.

I love how the world is styled after California skateparks/boardwalks.

Based EAD has blessed us with a new IP!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
wow, this thread has come a long way since I last checked. The stuff coming out of the twitter feed, and the pop culture references in particular are unlike anything I can remember coming from Nintendo in recent years. The closest I can think of would be Pikmin.

I made an album of some propaganda art that's in the trailer. I'll add a bit more in a bit! Sorry if they're not super high quality though.

http://imgur.com/a/Qlroj#0

EDIT: redone and uploaded more all in 720p
There's all kinds of weird stuff here. Besides the Voyager record, there's a Loch Ness Monster reference (I think that's what it is), a War of the Worlds reference, and some of those look way too similar to Portal 2 to not be at least partially inspired by it. There are also others I haven't figured out yet. And there's no doubt the enemies are reminiscent of the Rabbids or the Minions.

To be honest, along with project STEAM, it kind of feels like someone at NCL gave an executive order to crank up the western iconography to eleven. Not that I'm complaining, but it does seem like a deliberate attempt to appeal to foreign markets.

I'm thinking that the reticle is going to be there as an "assist" for people who can't aim well and can be toggled in the options.

Psxphile

So the single-player campaign Inkling's hair color changes depending on the colored ink it uses and/or dives into in Squid mode. I guess green is just the default color. I wonder if each color will have different properties to it: i.e. some will be more effective than others at certain points or will it just be an aesthetic thing? Could make for some interesting puzzles.

Unless you're color blind. :x

I'm pretty sure that's not wii pointer controls, but the gryo aiming. You move your camera with the sticks but you aim with the gyro.
I guess it could be wii pointer controls, but not necessarily.

Top Bottom