• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

Unknown Soldier said:
Okay, I'm seriously thinking about watching Idolmaster: Xenoglossia.

Xenoglossias alright as long as you appreciate that the whole thing is effectively Sunrise trolling the expectations of the audience. It might be a bit weird to watch for the first time now, though, as a lot of what the show is was informed by what Sunrise was doing then (and how they promoted it). The shows kind of lost it's context now.

Zoramon089 said:
Anyone want to bet which comes out first? Redline or Rebuild 3.0?

Hey, some of us have seen Redline three times already. The Japanese release of Redline is still due for August. You could always import that for crazy monies if you really need it on disk format, though the Japan-produced subtitles they were running on the theatrical screenings, and are likely the ones on the Japanese disks, were kind of bad.

Izayoi

Banned
untitled2nlh.png

ix_logo.jpg

Idolmaster: Xenoglossia 1:

And so begins Sunrise's daring series, which dares to combine moe and mecha like moe and mecha have never before been combined! Well, I think that's what the point of this show is. As expected from a Sunrise show, the mechas are very big and metallic and fly around and punch meteors. Unexpectedly, the girls are very, very moe. In many ways, this show integrates a number of ideas which would later propagate to or were propagated from Sunrise's other series around this time, this series aired immediately preceding Gundam 00 and overlapped with the end of the first season of Code Geass.

I'm not sure what the hell I"m watching here but the animation is fantastic, the mechas fly around in 3D space, and the girls all have pleasing character designs which are vaguely like but also different from their alternate universe game selves. I consider this show to be the "true" Idolmaster universe, the LMC ("Loli-Mecha Century") if you will, the "alternate" Idolmaster universe of the games, the disappointingly ordinary LC ("Loli Century") will be the subject of the new upcoming Idolmaster series, but fuck that shit, the LMC has mechas! :3

iavi

Tales of the Abyss 13-15

Bro2.jpg

He was tested, but the bro remained real. Luke's gotten much better, even if he hasn't learned to keep his voice at room-level. Nathalia, who I haven't actually been mentioning, got her sob story. Jade continues with more mr. mysterio unveiling. Tear's still a gold-digger. Anise is still an irritating, laughably out of place, loli. And Ion is... still Ion. We've got planes in the air now. A needless war has been fought. People still can't seem to have a conversation on the down low without somebody creeping their ear in. Asch randomly shows up to mack on Nathalia in the middle of the night, then disappears just as randomly, like a boss. And things, still, are falling from the sky.

duckroll

Blood-C is 12 episodes long. Idolmaster is 25 episodes long. So it looks like out of all the Summer shows I'll be checking out...

Sacred Seven - 12 eps
Idolmaster - 25 eps
Blood-C - 12 eps
Penguin Drum - 24 eps
Usagi Drop - 11 eps
No.6 - 11 eps

Izayoi

Banned
duckroll said:
Blood-C is 12 episodes long. Idolmaster is 25 episodes long. So it looks like out of all the Summer shows I'll be checking out...

Sacred Seven - 12 eps
Idolmaster - 25 eps
Blood-C - 12 eps
Penguin Drum - 24 eps
Usagi Drop - 11 eps
No.6 - 11 eps
I think that I'm just going to give pretty much everything four episodes again.

Hopefully I won't end up with as many shows as Spring, but glancing at the list it doesn't look good. ;_;

Sailor Moon R 73-81 - Lol... this show is so repetitive and predictable, but it's also amusing and entertaining. Some of these episodes weren't so great (the one in the cake shop was pretty bland, and the one after that (or was it the one after that?) wasn't so great either, but some others were good stuff, like the one where they're sick and Venus tries to take care of them. I wonder, who's more incompetent, Venus or Moon? :)

Also, though Chibi-Usa is a complete pain up to about ep. 74, FINALLY she stops being completely awful (using magic to get Usagi's family to accept her as a relative, trying to separate her and her friends, etc, etc), which is good. She was really, really annoying for quite a few episodes. Even though she's still kind of a pain, at least she's not nearly as bad as she was.

Also, it's quite obvious to the watcher, but somehow none of them seem to have noticed that Chibi-Usa's mother looks exactly like Usagi... I wonder when they figure it out? Soon I imagine, because I think they're about to go forward in time to save Chibi-Usa's mother from the Dark Moon crystal or whatever she's in.

Oh yeah, and this evil woman's not good at much other than evil laughter, is she... it's funny how all of the villains are so certain that they're going to crush the Sailor Senshi, and then use the same exact lame plots that their predecessors did (or something no better) and are shocked, SHOCKED when the results don't change. Yeah... it's so surprising, really! At least in this last episode she summoned two creatures, sort of, even if they sort of were one as well (one that could split into two? I'm not sure), slightly reducing the usual "there are 6 goodguys versus one monster" thing, but the result was the same. As if that should surprise anyone, given how Sailor Moon is a monster of the week show most of the time.

Unknown Soldier said:
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/Un-known_Soldier/ix_logo.jpg
Idolmaster: Xenoglossia 1:

And so begins Sunrise's daring series, which dares to combine moe and mecha like moe and mecha have never before been combined! Well, I think that's what the point of this show is. As expected from a Sunrise show, the mechas are very big and metallic and fly around and punch meteors. Unexpectedly, the girls are very, very moe. In many ways, this show integrates a number of ideas which would later propagate to or were propagated from Sunrise's other series around this time, this series aired immediately preceding Gundam 00 and overlapped with the end of the first season of Code Geass.

I'm not sure what the hell I"m watching here but the animation is fantastic, the mechas fly around in 3D space, and the girls all have pleasing character designs which are vaguely like but also different from their alternate universe game selves. I consider this show to be the "true" Idolmaster universe, the LMC ("Loli-Mecha Century") if you will, the "alternate" Idolmaster universe of the games, the disappointingly ordinary LC ("Loli Century") will be the subject of the new upcoming Idolmaster series, but fuck that shit, the LMC has mechas! :3

Have you not seen this series before, or have you? If you haven't, I do need to say something even if it's sort of a spoiler -- the series takes a dark turn about halfway through. Perhaps that's expected because it's Sunrise, but it does happen and I did dislike it. A bit after it happened is when I stopped watching, even though I'd moderately enjoyed most of the first half.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Izayoi said:
I think that I'm just going to give pretty much everything four episodes again.

Hopefully I won't end up with as many shows as Spring, but glancing at the list it doesn't look good. ;_;
Most of the shows on that list look really promising though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

Sacred Seven - 12 eps
Idolmaster - 25 eps
Blood-C - 12 eps
Penguin Drum - 24 eps
Usagi Drop - 11 eps
No.6 - 11 eps
Where is blade?

Izayoi

Banned
Look, I understand that they're dealing with some heavy stuff, but do they really all have to be such babies about it? Come on. (re: Durarara)

iavi

Izayoi said:
Look, I understand that they're dealing with some heavy stuff, but do they really all have to be such babies about it? Come on. (re: Durarara)

That really was the most off putting aspect of Durarara. You probably haven't even hit the worst of it.

Jex

Sailor Moon R 73-81

The main "kidnapping" arc has reached it's conclusion and now the "laugh manically when constantly defeated" arc is in full swing. It's largely felt more monster-of-the-week than previous arcs, but there was a particularly great episode featuring nurse antics. No, not in that kind of way.

Izayoi

Banned
Jintor said:
In what way are they babies? No spoilers please, it's on my backlog.
Instead of facing their problems they shrink away like children. They willingly placed themselves into a situation and now are too scared to fix it, so they choose to run away instead. It's frustrating to watch, to say the least. (Maybe that's the point, I'm not sure.)

Steroyd

Steins Gate - 13

Someone reeeeaaaaaalllly hates mayuri. I like her, but it's looking like a "fated death" deal. T_T

Jex

Izayoi said:
Instead of facing their problems they shrink away like children. They willingly placed themselves into a situation and now are too scared to fix it, so they choose to run away instead. It's frustrating to watch, to say the least. (Maybe that's the point, I'm not sure.)
It's a pretty sharp contrast between the whiny teenagers of Drr! and the total bad-asses in Baccano!

Izayoi

Banned
Durarara!! 1-24 - Plot twists, the anime. They weren't even overdone or contrived, either (well, most of them). Enjoyable, but didn't have quite the impact that Baccano did. Was it the ending? The fact that nobody was quite as awesome as Issac and Miria? I'm not really sure. What I am sure of, though, is that I wish there was more. This is definitely begging for a second season, if only to see
Izaya get what's coming to him.
That and more hhnnggh-inducing Celty.

In any case, it was enjoyable, and I'm glad I watched it.

Jexhius said:
It's a pretty sharp contrast between the whiny teenagers of Drr! and the total bad-asses in Baccano!
To be fair, Drrr has its fair share of badasses, but it really is a shame that they're not the main characters. By the end the trio was definitely starting to wear on me.

I would watch the fuck out of a show just about the van crew, though. Them and Shizuo-chan. So awesome.

Izayoi

Banned
Dresden said:
Holy shit, I wasn't told about this.

Season 2 fucking where?

Also, something about the end, when
Izaya mentions that he "loves his job" it felt to me like he was talking about more than just being an information broker - and the way he talks about people in general leads me to believe he knows more about the paranormal than he's letting on. Don't tell me outright if you know, but am I on the right track here?

Dresden

Izayoi said:
Holy shit, I wasn't told about this.

Season 2 fucking where?

Also, something about the end, when
Izaya mentions that he "loves his job" it felt to me like he was talking about more than just being an information broker - and the way he talks about people in general leads me to believe he knows more about the paranormal than he's letting on. Don't tell me outright if you know, but am I on the right track here?
No clue about the spoilered question, I haven't read the spoilers either. Although it does seem likely, no?

As for the
lesbo izaya imoutos
, they're in the two specials that came out after the show aired. Both are worth a watch, I think - less kids, more Shizuo/Izaya/Celty.

Steroyd

Dresden said:
As for the
lesbo izaya imoutos
, they're in the two specials that came out after the show aired. Both are worth a watch, I think - less kids, more Shizuo/Izaya/Celty.

What the... how did I miss this!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom