• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Punchline episode 7 spoilers.

Rewatching episode 2, just noticed Ito gets a phone call from sensei and he asks her about a script. I wonder if that has anything to do with the script that Mikatan was holding.

cj_iwakura

I've heard fun things about this, but it appears to be more risque than I imagined. Alas, I do not have a Saturn.

It has some(okay quite a bit of) risque humor, but the actual game isn't like that at all. It's a fun action RPG, and it nails the core plot with appropriate seriousness.

Jarmel

Banned
Black Rock Shooter 2- redux
BSGftx2.jpg
So this episode starts off with Mato determined to become Yomi's friend and overcome Kagari's hatred.
f4uO0cY.jpg

5W4ahQt.jpg

OeEssgr.jpg

sjYUpR1.jpg

pls respond
Well goddamn that was quick. Now most people would have cut their losses at this point. I mean if someone isn't even going to give you a courtesy text that they're not going to make it, it's clear they don't give a fuck about you. Next up is some patent scenes of crazy between Kagari and Yomi.
mF5P07i.jpg

Notice how Kagari isn't even looking at her.
Now last episode I thought I had a fairly good grasp of the insanity level of Kagari. I was wrong. I was dead wrong.
1RTgTPu.jpg

Like what the fuck?
Then we get some Sanzigen CGI fight sequences which seem to be portrayal of dreams, according to this D-rate psychologist. If this is indeed is supposed to be a dream sequence then why does Mato have these sequences when she is awake? Now I could understand if the fight scenes are merely supposed to represent Mato or the other character's subconcious but Mato is also apparently privy to information she hasn't obtained. Is this some shared sub-consciousness fightclub?
qXVC4EQ.jpg

Not only is she spouting off bullshit that doesn't make sense in real life, it doesn't even make sense inside the show itself.
As to why teenage girls are visually representing their relationships as a series of fantasy fights, I have no clue. I should mention that the name of this counselor's office is the best.
Also of note is this earlier sequence:
So I take it this rainbow bird stuff is a metaphor for homosexuality. That's the only way I can make sense of this dialogue. I mean who says this stuff? They keep coming back to this bird book in the most hamfisted manner possible. Anyway on we go to this scene where Kagari throws herself down a flight of stairs.
I should note that I liked the framing of the shot in that not only is there space between Kagari and Yomi but a valley of sorts as well. There is a slight distorted perspective shift, which I'm guessing is to represent the twisted nature of this encounter. Also of note is the light in that Yomi is in the light while Kagari is in darkness. Yomi is also trapped in the arched window which is a metaphor for the earlier 'caged bird' comparison by Mato. Afterwards the audience gets some background on why Kagari is such a fucked up human being, and it's not a particularly riveting story.
VYFdP1d.jpg

Car accidents have to be the leading cause of injury/death in Japan.
What blows my mind in this sequence isn't Kagari's stuff. It's Yomi's parents.
WHAT THE FUCK? YOUR DAUGHTER IS BEING PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY BULLIED AND YET YOU FEEL SORRY FOR THE BULLY? My mind felt like it was leaving my skull. I understand feeling bad for Kagari initially but your daughter should take precendent over someone else's daughter. I thought Kagari might have been either Yomi's half-sister or maybe Yomi's father's boss's daughter. Something that would justify keeping keeping Kagari around despite the clear abuse going on. I got none of that. Anyway on to the climax:
Welp.
7JJwbLQ.jpg

And just when I think there might be a breakthrough, some weird ass shit happens and I'm left staring at the screen asking 'wut?' repeatedly. The episode also contained a macaroon barrage attack. That's certainly something I never expected to see. I wonder what Imaishi, or whoever, felt storyboarding something like that.

You gotta stick with it until the sixth episode to really see where it's going, sadly. The first 5 are just pretty mediocre.

The first 5 weren't mediocre. The first 2 were slow , but that's also because this show got a lot of concepts that needed explanations before we can accept them.
Once we know the rules , what is possible, what isn't and know more about the characters , the show is now a wild and fun ride.

NeonZ

Overall it was a pretty decent experience marred by an awful opening couple of episodes, but by the end it began wearing thin - I've heard bad things about Futari wa Milky Holmes, could someone clarify exactly why it isn't as well liked?

One thing's for sure: it's no Ojamajo Doremi.

Futari Wa has a new protagonist duo, and it's not really focused on humor. On the other hand, it's not really darker than the previous seasons either (in spite of the ending of the 1st episode). I'm really not sure what they were even attempting to do there. It kind of resembles a mediocre magical girl show for children, but it was still airing at an otaku timeslot, so, it's not that either.

It also handles the overall transition from the previous seasons pretty badly (the Milkies recover their toys off screen, and the academy is back up and running too). In addition to that, pretty much only the Milkies and Kokoro have significant roles, with the other past characters only getting cameos outside of the final couple of episodes.

Milky Holmes TD goes back to humor focus, although it's the same director from Futari Wa and there's also a main plotline driving every episode, so it ends up with weaker humor than the original two seasons. Also, even though the Milkies are back as the main protagonists, technically, the main plot is about a new character, which results in them sometimes only being involved with the humor and sidelined from the story. In spite of all that, I thought the ending was a more satisfying finale for the franchise than season 2's. The Futari Wa protagonists are still there, but are pretty much reduced to side comic relief.

I feel Punchline literally shot itself in the foot in terms of sales. I mean it's cool to have build up and explanations and all, but to take 6 episodes just for the story to get good or change drastically is a bad way to advertise itself. I mean considering the first 5 episodes were mainly about pantyshots and unnecessary fanservice, it undoubtedly lost some of its viewers. I mean this kind of stuff can work for a game but for anime itself it just doesn't work. They should of condensed it somehow. I mean you can say Madoka did it well, but it at least took 3 episodes to show its drastic change and that's when it shot up in popularity. Plus it was a rare occurrence that doesn't happen everyday and for Punchline's case it isn't working.

Looking at Amazon it really isn't doing that well in BD preorders.

cj_iwakura

Black Rock Shooter 2- redux

So this episode starts off with Mato determined to become Yomi's friend and overcome Kagari's hatred.

Well goddamn that was quick. Now most people would have cut their losses at this point. I mean if someone isn't even going to give you a courtesy text that they're not going to make it, it's clear they don't give a fuck about you. Next up is some patent scenes of crazy between Kagari and Yomi.

Now last episode I thought I had a fairly good grasp of the insanity level of Kagari. I was wrong. I was dead wrong.

Then we get some Sanzigen CGI fight sequences which seem to be portrayal of dreams, according to this D-rate psychologist. If this is indeed is supposed to be a dream sequence then why does Mato have these sequences when she is awake? Now I could understand if the fight scenes are merely supposed to represent Mato or the other character's subconcious but Mato is also apparently privy to information she hasn't obtained. Is this some shared sub-consciousness fightclub?

As to why teenage girls are visually representing their relationships as a series of fantasy fights, I have no clue. I should mention that the name of this counselor's office is the best.

Also of note is this earlier sequence:

So I take it this rainbow bird stuff is a metaphor for homosexuality. That's the only way I can make sense of this dialogue. I mean who says this stuff? They keep coming back to this bird book in the most hamfisted manner possible. Anyway on we go to this scene where Kagari throws herself down a flight of stairs.

I should note that I liked the framing of the shot in that not only is there space between Kagari and Yomi but a valley of sorts as well. There is a slight distorted perspective shift, which I'm guessing is to represent the twisted nature of this encounter. Also of note is the light in that Yomi is in the light while Kagari is in darkness. Yomi is also trapped in the arched window which is a metaphor for the earlier 'caged bird' comparison by Mato. Afterwards the audience gets some background on why Kagari is such a fucked up human being, and it's not a particularly riveting story.

What blows my mind in this sequence isn't Kagari's stuff. It's Yomi's parents.

WHAT THE FUCK? YOUR DAUGHTER IS BEING PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY BULLIED AND YET YOU FEEL SORRY FOR THE BULLY? My mind felt like it was leaving my skull. I understand feeling bad for Kagari initially but your daughter should take precendent over someone else's daughter. I thought Kagari might have been either Yomi's half-sister or maybe Yomi's father's boss's daughter. Something that would justify keeping keeping Kagari around despite the clear abuse going on. I got none of that. Anyway on to the climax:

Welp.
7JJwbLQ.jpg

And just when I think there might be a breakthrough, some weird ass shit happens and I'm left staring at the screen asking 'wut?' repeatedly. The episode also contained a macaroon barrage attack. That's certainly something I never expected to see. I wonder what Imaishi, or whoever, felt storyboarding something like that.

This is not what I'd expect coming off the PSP game.

I feel Punchline literally shot itself in the foot in terms of sales. I mean it's cool to have build up and explanations and all, but to take 6 episodes just for the story to get good or change drastically is a bad way to advertise itself. I mean considering the first 5 episodes were mainly about pantyshots and unnecessary fanservice, it undoubtedly lost some of its viewers. I mean this kind of stuff can work for a game but for anime itself it just doesn't work. They should of condensed it somehow. I mean you can say Madoka did it well, but it at least took 3 episodes to show its drastic change and that's when it shot up in popularity. Plus it was a rare occurrence that doesn't happen everyday and for Punchline's case it isn't working.

People greatly exaggerate the "story doesnt start until episode 6" bit. Even episode 2, which seems like filler, starts to get things moving. A lot of stuff happens in episode 3-5.

Phatmac

this could've been a nice show about sending a nice girl to heaven but it turned into a dumb love drama over a dead girl. This show is pretty creepy when you think about it. Dumb shy teens.

Moaradin

BBB 2 Dub

So I guess this white girl is a bones original character? Never a good sign when Bones comes up with original ideas this early on in the plot :|

It's actually really good anime original content. She adds a lot to the show with her dynamic with Leo, to the point where I'm pretty disappointed that she isn't in the manga if I ever went down that route.

We know how many viewers it gets each week?

I think punchline is great, I dont think BD sales preorders is evidence indicating a show has writing problems.

this could've been a nice show about sending a nice girl to heaven but it turned into a dumb love drama over a dead girl. This show is pretty creepy when you think about it. Dumb shy teens.

I wish I was watching this show as it aired. Would have loved to see the live reactions to episode 4 lol.

Reading the first few chapters of Etotama shows they changed a lot of character's personalities and a lot of the plot when making the anime. Takeru actually has a personality and matters in the manga.

So you're saying it grabbed an actual gun and shot itself in its foot for real?

Anything is possible within anime.😏

We know how many viewers it gets each week?

I think punchline is great, I dont think BD sales preorders is evidence indicating a show has writing problems.

I never said it had anything to do with writing problems, all I said was that the type of development Punchline is going for works better as a game rather than as a anime. For example VLR wouldn't work well as a anime and since Punchline shares some of VLR's qualities, it's the reason why it suffered a bit and for things to finally get going till episode 6.

Also I'm not trying to say Punchline is crap, it's pretty good.

Phatmac

I'm glad I got to see this before it's gone from Crunchyroll. Good thing these creepy dudes finally got their dicks in their pants and wished for Menma to go to heaven. This is one of the weakest childhood friend groups in any anime that I've ever seen considering how both the elite high school kids didn't even help until the end. The finale was great since they finally stopped being selfish and wished for a proper end to it all. Overall it was an alright show but it had way too much melodrama. 3/5

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 8

CFk6YK8WgAIh7VT.png:large

I was wondering when she would show up.

So in this episode, the Angel is defeated by fishing. The Eva gets caught in the Angel's mouth underwater and they reel it back up and shove ships in its mouth. Along with some missiles.

Asuka seems like an okay character so far. My expectations were kind of set pretty low, given that I've heard she was the tsundere of this show, but the way she was introduced along with her interactions with the cast was all right. Pretty good.

Meanwhile, Gendo Ikari continues to be planning something with...the Helix Fossil.

CFlAJlVWgAAnQUu.png:large

This suddenly explains everything.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Kekkai Sensen episode 5
Dont know how, but this is the best episode by far, loved everything about it really,
Its straight up the most hilarious so far aswell, and we got some romance blossoming(I think?) With another character or rather characters with a unique ability introduced.
And the ED continues to be just baller ass shit.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

So in this episode, the Angel is defeated by fishing. The Eva gets caught in the Angel's mouth underwater and they reel it back up and shove ships in its mouth. Along with some missiles.

Asuka seems like an okay character so far. My expectations were kind of set pretty low, given that I've heard she was the tsundere of this show, but the way she was introduced along with her interactions with the cast was all right. Pretty good.

Meanwhile, Gendo Ikari continues to be planning something with...the Helix Fossil.
Well you've just seen the best character. She keeps getting better and
worse
as the series goes on.

Phatmac

The goddess has arrived.
latest

Totakeke

Kekkai Sensen episode 5
Dont know how, but this is the best episode by far, loved everything about it really,
Its straight up the most hilarious so far aswell, and we got some romance blossoming(I think?) With another character or rather characters with a unique ability introduced.
And the ED continues to be just baller ass shit.

Still true at of this point.

I just had the biggest smile on my face the entire time with all the Kuroko anime/manga references, Kurokono appearing in the OP, and getting Kensho Ono to voice him.

And hearing Gintoki's "awful" rendition of the Doraemon theme.

Doremi Sharp 48&49
Whoa...
This might be like, my favorite anime.
Each season is supposed to get better than the last? Impossible, no WAY this gets topped.
I am so, so glad I decided to watch this. So, so glad.

I'm late but I have to say that this gets topped. Enjoy.

Phatmac

I just had the biggest smile on my face the entire time with all the Kuroko anime/manga references, Kurokono appearing in the OP, and getting Kensho Ono to voice him.

And hearing Gintoki's "awful" rendition of the Doraemon theme.
It was great what are you talking about man. :p

sonicmj1

Ninja Slayer 6

When I started watching this episode, I asked myself, "Did I watch episode 5?" So I started that one again and yep, I had watched it and forgotten about it.

That's kind of how I'm starting to feel about this series, though I like the ED songs they keep coming up with.

Cornbread78

Chrno Crusade ep.1-3
Alright Cajun, this is s weird one for sure. (and old too!) Lots of action in the first two episodes and a little base knowledge of what Chrono and Rosette are and what they do. You can see where the romance would blossom bur when you're talking about
human vs. Devil relationship, it's gonna get rWal complicated real fast, damn
This should be an adventure... Oh, the closing theme is really good as well!

Defuser

Punchline ep7
Hang on....
if Pine swap spirits with Chiyoko body which results Irridatsu, shouldn't Irridatsu's spirit takes an appearance of Pine instead of Chiyoko?

Just a minor peeve to point out.

Punchline 7

Yeah, saw that twist coming after it was mentioned somewhere else.
Yuuta being Pine in Chiyoko's body and Chiyoko in Guriko's body was expected after rewatching the flashback. That of course means Guriko is the leader of the Qmay group in Pine's body, so that's kind of important.

So yeah, doesn't seem like we'll be getting a progressive portrayal of
transgender characters, just soul swapping.

Also getting some super strong Ever 17 flashbacks, even if some of these plot elements aren't wholly unique to that.

Gintama° 07

This is probably my most favorite Gintama arc ever.

Not just from the sheer amazement of it, but the extra level the staff went with this.

Using the first OP from Kuroko's as background music, having his seiyuu voice Kurokono, adding him into the OP, using seiyuus that voiced characters in Kuroko to voice the fake Kurokonos, just bravo, bravo.

Punchline 07

This body swapping has got me certainly confused in relation just to how many times Yuuta has actually failed in his mission to save the world. but I certainly love where the story has gone.

Punchline ep7
Hang on....
if Pine swap spirits with Chiyoko body which results Irridatsu, shouldn't Irridatsu's spirit takes an appearance of Pine instead of Chiyoko?

Just a minor peeve to point out.

Maybe by
being in her body for so long, his soul starts to looks like her as well?

I don't know, might be explained or might be an oversight. We'll see what Uchikoshi has up his sleeve.

Jarmel

Banned
Black Rock Shooter OVA-
I'm blown back. I remember watching this a long time ago and not thinking much of it, due to the slow pacing. I decided to rewatch it before continuing the TV series, so I could see how much crazy was in the original OVA. This was really fucking good. It does so many things right in addition to good storyboarding and awesome 2D fight sequences. This was a 52 minute OVA released for free by GSC to test the viability of Black Rock Shooter as a TV series. It was also animated by Ordet but unlike the TV series, the entire work is filled with motion and dynamic sequences. There is no artistic visual split between the BRS shooter world and the 'real' world, making the work feel much more cohesive compared to the TV series. The OVA was scripted by Shinobu Yoshioka (the director) and Nagaru Tanigawa, of Haruhi Suzumiya fame.
So one of the things that strikes me about the OVA compared to the TV series is how much time is spent organically developing the friendship between Mato and Yomi. In the TV series, not only is very little screen time spent by the directors establishing the friendship between the two but also little 'in-world' time as well. Here however the OVA spends at least 15 minutes of run-time and there are multiple time-lapses so as to make the relationship between the two feel realistic. In addition to that, the show works in simple connections between the characters so that the two feel intrinsically linked. Things such Mato growing up in whatever town this is, and so loves her hometown while Yomi moved around and so never grew attached to any location. Therefore Yomi envies Mato's love of her home. There's also things such as Mato inspiring Yomi to join the volleyball team, partially due to Yomi waiting for Mato as well as Yomi's height (which stemmed from one of Mato's jokes).
mZqghXe.jpg

MV3XKGw.jpg

When Yomi goes missing initially, there is a strong focus on the cellphone. This serves as a way of visually representing Mato's unease and worry.
Unlike the TV series, the drama here is simpler in nature and so it connects better with the audience. In short, it focuses around Yomi's jealousy of Mato's new friend, Yuu. It's a simple scenario that can resonate much easier with the audience rather than something like guilt resulting from your yandere friend being hit by a car. There's some really good directorial work that establishes Yomi's feelings without it ever being said outright.
For example in the above sequence, Yomi is placed further behind the two, obviously representing her status as a third wheel. In addition to that, Mato and Yuu are having this dialogue about basketball that is completely meaningless to the audience. However it's also meaningless to Yomi as well. It's a really effective case of dialogue being used as noise, but it serves to further not only the relationship between Yomi and Mato but the audience's understanding of Yomi. The audience can't understand Mato and Yuu's conversation and so we have an insight into Yomi's mindset.
There's also effective use of repetition, so as to establish when a pattern is broken and the importance of that. One example being that the OVA shows Mato still trying to meet Yomi at Yomi's classroom, after the two are sent to different homerooms in their 2nd year. However later in the OVA, Mato stops meeting Yomi as she's spends break talking with Yuu. By establishing that sequence earlier with Mato and Yomi, the audience appreciates how Mato is growing further apart from Yomi. Also there is an earlier bit where Mato copies Yomi's homework and then when Yomi disappears, there is a quick shot of Mato's homework not being done so as to reinforce the emotional impact of Yomi's disappearance.
Another great thing was that Mato knew she fucked up. She picked up on Yomi's odd behaviour right before Yomi disappeared and also realized that it was her fault in a way. She realizes that she's been neglecting Yomi. Unline many leads in anime, Mato is self-aware enough to not only pick up on her friend's emotions but also realizes how her own actions resulted in the current outcome. It something that should be basic but feels missing in so many shows.
At first I wasn't wild about the other-world sequences as I felt they were too disconnected from the highschool drama but they do tie in at the end and in a rather meaningful way. It's interesting comparing the style of the TV series, that utilizes CGI, with the OVA that instead uses 2D for the fights and BRS world. While I can't blame the TV series for upholding to Nakamura level animation, I found the presentation for the other-world sequences here to be better than the TV series. In the TV series, it's almost constant fighting as opposed to the OVA that uses multiple cuts of BRS searching for Dead Master(Yomi). In the OVA there is a stronger atmosphere, one filled with isolation and sadness compared to the TV series which is just constant fighting. There is a psuedo-adventure element that also works as a strong contrast to the vibrancy of the real-world scenes. There's no talking in these cuts while the real-world stuff has tons of dialogue. By having such a strong contrast not only visually but audio-wise, it reinforces the difference in worlds.
All of this is aided by a very strong soundtrack. My favorite tracks from the BRS TV OST are apparently from the OVA. Not only are the songs themselves really good but the placement and sound direction is also handled well. A scene amplified by the soundtrack would be Mato running at the beginning to make her train and "Kakeru" is playing.
ZCTKoP0.jpg

Yomi is separated by the volleyball net, which works as a wall, from Mato and Yuu.
The storyboarding was surprisingly well done and included a lot of recurrent themes. I went in expecting only solid storyboarding from the action sequences but the entire episode is handled suitably. In addition I like the character designs here more compared to the TV series, although Yomi's drills are kind of a mess.
I'm surprised how cohesive of a product this is, for something distributed for free and was more of an experiment than anything else. Tanigawa's influence can be felt in how he set up the split worlds, similar to Haruhi's Closed Space stuff. It's a slow piece but it's a very good solitary work that focuses around the relationship between a pair of friends.

Mandelbo

Futari Wa has a new protagonist duo, and it's not really focused on humor. On the other hand, it's not really darker than the previous seasons either (in spite of the ending of the 1st episode). I'm really not sure what they were even attempting to do there. It kind of resembles a mediocre magical girl show for children, but it was still airing at an otaku timeslot, so, it's not that either.

It also handles the overall transition from the previous seasons pretty badly (the Milkies recover their toys off screen, and the academy is back up and running too). In addition to that, pretty much only the Milkies and Kokoro have significant roles, with the other past characters only getting cameos outside of the final couple of episodes.

Milky Holmes TD goes back to humor focus, although it's the same director from Futari Wa and there's also a main plotline driving every episode, so it ends up with weaker humor than the original two seasons. Also, even though the Milkies are back as the main protagonists, technically, the main plot is about a new character, which results in them sometimes only being involved with the humor and sidelined from the story. In spite of all that, I thought the ending was a more satisfying finale for the franchise than season 2's. The Futari Wa protagonists are still there, but are pretty much reduced to side comic relief.

Ah, I didn't realise Futari Wa had a different director. I can't really fathom something related to Milky Holmes not being a comedy first and foremost, especially considering the absurdity of the world it takes place in. I can see why they'd go in such a different direction after S2, since otherwise it probably would've just been take three of S1, but I don't think losing the comedy is the right way of going about it.

Perhaps I'll just give one or two episodes a watch to see the damage for myself.

Allaur

I'd welcome some external input to help piece this experience together.

About Shikizaki's plan:
So, you understand that Shikizaki was a prophet. He was able to see in a future and find about the fact that in the future Japan will be conquered by other countries. I'm not sure was Shikizaki a patriot or he just wanted to change the future just for fun (like personal accomplishment) - but he decided to do something (well, kill it) about future shogunate of the country, cause Japan will fall due to weak government. Then begins he's masterplan - he created Kyotoryu and cursed swords which was needed to guide Shichika to where he ended. And while in the end future hasn't changed (cause next shogun after the one Shichika killed is from the same family) I still think some things changed - if in the future Kyotoryu will become common fighting style, then Japan has chances against agressors (well, it's just my thought, what we really have is an open end).

Some fun things I remember
Some part of Togame dying speach is carbon copy of words which she said when they were freezing going up the mountain in 6th ep.
If you're interested what Togame wanted to do with Shichika after they collect all swords - she doesn't knew it herself. There is a moment when princess Heitei says that "while Togame is good at thinking about things, she is as good about not thinking about them".
If you have a character with punchline "Cherrio" what means "goodbye", do you think that character will survive?)

If you have any other questions - you can try to ask me. I think the only part I don't remember right now is about
revolution by Togame's father and how it influenced Shikizaki's plan (I only remember that Togame's father doesn't wanted for history to change, that's why he did it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom