• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Girls und Panzer: Der Film First Half Hour Or So
I really don't get it. First action scene had its moments where the CG is leveraged for some cool shots that let the tanks sweep by, but the actual setting feels underutilized. Movie opens up on a golf course but it sort of just feels like it could be anywhere. Everything just goes on for a little too long without any set up or stakes, and then the battle just kind of sputters out. In case there was any question of priorities the first scene outside of the tanks is in a bathhouse, and then there is some dumb twist where the TV series is invalidated and the school that the tank club was formed to save is being shut down, so I guess they have to go save it again.

I liked the TV series well enough but this sort of intro doesn't really justify more of this property existing. I just look at the two hour count on something that already feels pretty slow and meaningless and it's just like...ick. I feel like I'm being offered a three course meal of cotton candy or something.

Cotton candy sucks.

That said I agree with a lot of what dimb said. I hate when shows just reuse a previous plot point.

It's pretty silly. But then, Girls und Panzer has never been about the "plot" - that just functions as a quirky excuse to have the tank battles. The movie is absolutely the TV show writ large in every possible way.

Defuser

A Gintama live action? What the fuck. Why do Japan always hell bent on making live action of manga/anime? Are they even a viable way to make money?

A Gintama live action? What the fuck. Why do Japan always hell bent on making live action of manga/anime? Are they even a viable way to make money?

If they weren't a viable way to make money, do you think they'd keep making them? Live action films/TV can reach a wider audience than anime, and is of course the preferred medium of adaptation for manga aimed at an older audience.

Russ T

Banned
Since it's on Amazon, I've completely forgotten to watch Kabaneri every week. Never really lost interest, just... forgot. Haven't even watched the first episode!

Is it worth watching? Seems to have had its ups and downs if anime gaf is anything to go by, but are the ups worth the downs?

phaze

Since it's on Amazon, I've completely forgotten to watch Kabaneri every week. Never really lost interest, just... forgot. Haven't even watched the first episode!

Is it worth watching? Seems to have had its ups and downs if anime gaf is anything to go by, but are the ups worth the downs?

No.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's pretty silly. But then, Girls und Panzer has never been about the "plot" - that just functions as a quirky excuse to have the tank battles. The movie is absolutely the TV show writ large in every possible way.
If the most that can be said for a movie is that it emulates a TV show that it's based on...I guess the question is why the format change where pacing issues can arise, or the material might not have enough going for it to buoy a bigger project? The Girls und Panzer film isn't even really blowing out the scope of things in the way other movie adaptations do, and it's not following the KyoAni model of providing a meaningful continuation/end cap to a story.

Defuser

Only if you turn your brain off and enjoy the edgy wreck. There's a reason why we call it Attack on Trains.

Yes its worth watching, Aimer and chelly give it there all as well as the OST, its up there with Gundam Unicorn RE for OST of the season and possible a stronger contender for ost of the year.Also it has Yuki Kaji as best boy and a cool Ninja.

JCG

It's entertaining as dumb zombie action fodder with many standard shonen anime/JRPG conventions.

If you're allergic to seeing those in action, that might detract from the experience. Otherwise, it's watchable.

Based on today's spoilers the ending was apparently not too terrible. Just kind of average.

Russ T

Banned
Only if you turn your brain off and enjoy the edgy wreck. There's a reason why we call it Attack on Trains.

Ehh, it's only silly fun. But I will admit the show went downhill after episode 7 when the break from the action was over.

It's entertaining as dumb zombie action fodder with many standard shonen anime/JRPG conventions.

If you're allergic to seeing those in action, that might detract from the experience. Otherwise, it's watchable.

Based on today's spoilers the ending was apparently not too terrible. Just kind of average.

Sounds like something I'll keep in mind for the future. I definitely get that urge to watch a silly-but-not-necessarily-great anime series from time to time. Plus I just kinda like the way it looks, visually. People could stand to be a LITTLE less shiny, but otherwise it's nice.

TUSR

Banned
Been enjoying Re:Zero, by the time the 4th loop happened in episode 7 or 8 I was getting exhausted.

The payoff was there when you see Subaru break down on Emilia's lap.

It seemed like there was stuff going on but the plot was dragging.

Sölf;208788972 said:
Maybe this I actually read this regularly. With Attack on Titan I catched up once and haven't continued reading since then... xD
There is a MHA manga group. So go join if your interested in sharing your hype :D

I would link it for you but I'm on my phone so I cant.

Assassination Classroom Episode 47 END
CmOBHhDWEAA9Yv9.jpg

Great end, love how it expanded the epilogue events of the manga. Still some stuff was avoided by both, I wanted the two doofuses who teased and kept apeearing to have some screentime, also not using hello shooting star was a missed opportunity again.

Oh well Okajima had a great 7year later upgrade, Maehara x Isogai still looked perfect, and Karma as well as Terasaka got great jobs.

Itona ought to have gone to college but Im glad hes still with the other two dudes in Terasaka's crew taking up the family businesses.

10/10 cant wait for the eng dub to finish.

Line_HTX

Sounds like something I'll keep in mind for the future. I definitely get that urge to watch a silly-but-not-necessarily-great anime series from time to time. Plus I just kinda like the way it looks, visually. People could stand to be a LITTLE less shiny, but otherwise it's nice.

What do you mean shiny? Like the light reflects off their forehead?

Sölf

So, for the Assassination Classroom anime. Is it legit good? I only watched the first few episodes back then and people said I should read the manga instead. I more or less liked what I saw back then, but I stopped (probably because too many other shows). But since it's now over, I may go back and watch that.

Moaradin

Sölf;208790547 said:
So, for the Assassination Classroom anime. Is it legit good? I only watched the first few episodes back then and people said I should read the manga instead. I more or less liked what I saw back then, but I stopped (probably because too many other shows). But since it's now over, I may go back and watch that.

Very good. Great comedy with a ton of heart. Has a pretty nice ending too.

Wanderer5

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress END

Well that is that. Honestly for what it was worth, that was actually a pretty enjoyable finale, despite being quite predictable and a bit rushed.

Mumei doing the finishing blow to Biba was nice, especially the music that was going on during it, and damn that was kind of badass of Ikoma force pushing the train off the rail heh. It was kind of nice seeing a happy ending, along with a happy Mumei at the end.

Well with that spring season has come to a end. Despite a pretty good start for the most part, Kabaneri kind of went downhill with some rushed and dumb development that didn't help with having a quite uninteresting villain lol. Still it found ways to be enjoyable and production wise was pretty great. Probably give it a 6/10, maybe a 7.

Aki-at

Sölf;208790547 said:

It has all the essential, a lot of heart, a lot of comedy, loads of good characters and some life lessons it throws in there too. Also a really great conclusion.

Season 2 feels a bit rushed but still a good piece of anime.

You need to watch Macross Froniter, so you can experience Sherly da gawdess.

Didn't know which Macross Sheryl was from but I'll check it out, always liked the character design.

Quasar

I consider it a AoT style show that I can actually stand to watch..

Funimation just annouced they got the rights to the remaining d.gray-man episodes! Yuuuuss! Bring those blu-rays and dubs my way!

Funimation won this season before it even started. I can't wait for Hallow! It's going to be AMAZING!

Finaj

Not relevant to this anime season, but I've been watching Hunter x Hunter and man it is a slow burn. I've reached the
Auction
arc and things seem to be picking up.

zulux21

hell seems to have frozen over.

funimation rescues one of their abandoned licences.

funimation licences second half of original d gray man series.

edit:

I am beaten badly
Funimation just annouced they got the rights to the remaining d.gray-man episodes! Yuuuuss! Bring those blu-rays and dubs my way!

Funimation won this season before it even started. I can't wait for Hallow! It's going to be AMAZING!

at least I have a source :p

either way I might actually finish watching the series and buy it now.

zulux21

Good for the series. Funimation didn't give up on it!:p

So is the summer OT going to be posted up tomorrow?

should be sometime soon I mean the first episode of the summer season was released a few days ago lol.

though to be fair the english stream of that show isn't scheduled to start for a few days.

Cornbread78

Good for the series. Funimation didn't give up on it!:p

So is the summer OT going to be posted up tomorrow?

BGBW and TUSR have conspired to skip the summer OT and make everyone post in a new Sharing☆Mana thread instead.

Maybe if we share enough that decision will change..

Top Bottom