• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Outrun

I only visited the LA office. Which isn't the main driving force behind SQ42, a lot of what. I mean the writers are there and some character related stuff. But most of what i saw was 3.0 related and upcoming stuff we haven't seen yet. That were stretch goals, that are starting to turn into some amazing tools and should create some sick/unique gameplay opportunities.

Can't say much other then that. NDA and all that jazz.

Thank you man.

It is much appreciated. Hopefully, we will get to enjoy the further evolution of SC soon, as you have witnessed. :)

Thank you man.

It is much appreciated. Hopefully, we will get to enjoy the further evolution of SC soon, as you have witnessed. :)

I can only imagine what people have seen at the other studios, outside the ATV studio showcases themselves. Given what I saw.

You should try at some point to get a visit set up if you live in the LA area, UK, Texas or Germany. Although you have to be backer, I'm going to set up another visit for sure next year or later on this year for sure. To see what's changed.

Outrun

I can only imagine what people have seen at the other studios, outside the ATV studio showcases themselves. Given what I saw.

You should try at some point to get a visit set up if you live in the LA area, UK, Texas or Germany. Although you have to be backer, I'm going to set up another visit for sure next year or later on this year for sure. To see what's changed.

Keep us posted :)

Now that Mad Catz is defunct, do you know if CIG will partner with any other HOTAS manufacturer?

Edit : I guess Saitek was contracted, so all is good

Shy

Any of you fine people going to Citizencon ?
Keep us posted :)

Now that Mad Catz is defunct, do you know if CIG will partner with any other HOTAS manufacturer?

Edit : I guess Saitek was contracted, so all is good
Now that you mention it.
I wonder what's going on with the sticks. it's been a bit since we last heard.

I'm super curious.

No need to get personal.

He claimed that there has not really been much drama.

That is utterly false because there has been a lot of issues concerning this project.

So the drama is there.

Unfortunately, it seems that no criticism concerning SC is allowed. Furthermore, the poster in question is shaping the narrative to one where things are progressing smoothly.

It is to the point where CR's own words and project milestone projects are discounted merely by a redirect to a old Kotaku article.

That article merely contextualizes the delay. It does not magically makes the failure of CIG to meet their own deadlines disappear.

Now Cabbagehead has hinted that he has some inside information on the project from his visit.

I am genuinely interested to see if whatever he has seen is SQ42 related.

Again, I will be the first one to eat crow if SQ42 is great and is released within the next two years.

I want to play an excellent space combat Sim.

Cabbagehead, any info that you can share?

Things like delays have occurred with the game so far, but i don't think I've really seen anything that's out of the ordinary and something to actually be concerned about regarding the success of the game. Delays, development issues and changes happen all the time with video game development, unless i've missed something there isn't really anything that's happened you should be worried about. The only difference between this and other projects is that with the other games we just don't find out about the problems. Things certainly haven't progressed smoothly until this point, but that is normal.

The majority of the drama has been from people who don't seem to know much about video game development, jump to conclusions or are just trying to find anything they can to bring the game down and say "I told you so!"...like with the recent loan.

Outrun

Any of you fine people going to Citizencon ?

Now that you mention it.
I wonder what's going on with the sticks. it's been a bit since we last heard.

I'm super curious.

The great thing about the game is that different control setups would suit the different classes of ships.

Side stick HOTAS could good for midsize ships and some fighters. Centre stick for Hornets etc..

I am not sure for capital ships... Perhaps keyboard and mouse?

elyetis

Motion controls in VR obviously :
1499090351-1466414864468-star-trek-bridge-crew-vr.jpg

Things like delays have occurred with the game so far, but i don't think I've really seen anything that's out of the ordinary and something to actually be concerned about regarding the success of the game. Delays, development issues and changes happen all the time with video game development, unless i've missed something there isn't really anything that's happened you should be worried about. The only difference between this and other projects is that with the other games we just don't find out about the problems. Things certainly haven't progressed smoothly until this point, but that is normal.

The majority of the drama has been from people who don't seem to know much about video game development, jump to conclusions or are just trying to find anything they can to bring the game down and say "I told you so!"...like with the recent loan.

Pretty much. Lots of convenient amnesia, Derek Smart-ism and all the hard-boiled double standards that follow in the wake of Star Citizen being mentioned. Its like the project is from another planet and folks seem to ignore the advent of research. Somehow, someway. At times people make it seem like other projects haven't gone through the same type of hold ups or problems, because they don't get to see them traditional (for good reason, the shit storms). I mean it may seem that way but, we just don't hear about those problems.

Until after the fact through anonymous sources and or studio statements and interviews, once the game is released, shelved canceled. Unfortunately this project has a giant spotlight on it -usually fairly negative- due to their crowdfunding method, accumulated funds and development ambition. Some folks seem to dislike a thing that's enabling CIG to make the game. Then once that's pick on a few times, you get the situations that are minor to major they get forgotten or fixed by CIG. But because the game is open and public. Those situations get magnified and amplified. There really no balanced viewpoint or coverage of the game. No one seems to be able to criticize the game without beating a dead horse. Far to many have confirmation bias as well, along with a lack of understanding, when it comes to the estimated release dates and general methodologies CIG carries out. While they're still in active development making two triple A games.

Certainly, CIG did have to go through some global reorganized and start adapting more reason and sane business practices instead of the "develop by seat of your pants" before 2015. Since production was being bogged down and time zone management, leadership and communication issues continued to dwell. They had to re-think and stream line. Now we have a more effective CIG and the developers are much happier as well. Compared to the past. It should be made very clear, that the community does hold CIG accountable and does call them out on their possible slip ups. But they also give helpful feedback and criticisms. Instead of accusing them of certain things, that couldn't be further from the truth.

(Its what makes the accusations that 400 developers are trying to hoodwink people. After my recent visit, to be quite fucked up.)

In comparison to the issues they could be having, that's pretty normal stuff. After three to four years of full production by a young independent studio, doing things that have never really been attempted. It was a revaluation period, they closer to the estimated release date of 2016. Then realized that wasn't possible and that the community would be pissed off either way, if hey got re a unfinished product or just had to wait a little more. Because reality hit CIG hard.

At least CIG has the flexibility to react on things and to things, an not have to be secretive about it. Then you contrast that, with the many horror stories or self-sabotage like undertakings in the traditional space. Even with released games. We've all heard about them, stories of turmoil and games being in development hell for years; like Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Evolve, Destiny, Prey 2, The last Guardian, Beyond good and evil, Kingdom Hearts. Even the information about Rockstar's development practices and then you the rigamarole that was Final Fantasy XV.

Lets keep it balanced and focused on facts not on assumptions. Given the trials and tribulations of a game in development.

Outrun

Lets keep it balanced and focused on facts not on assumptions. Given the trials and tribulations of a game in development.

I think that is an healthy Outlook.

After hearing about your visit and the positive vibes that you got firsthand, I am hoping that CIG moves from strength to strength.

Inviusx

I don't own a PC and I will probably never play SC but the last few big gameplay demos have given me the opinion that this game is truly next gen. Far beyond the scope of anything that's possible on the PS4 pro or even the Xbox OX.

The gameplay demo where one player was inside the base and the other player hovered around outside in the ship gave me the same vibe that the first Crysis trailer did. It just seems so far ahead its time.

Shy

The great thing about the game is that different control setups would suit the different classes of ships.

Side stick HOTAS could good for midsize ships and some fighters. Centre stick for Hornets etc..

Yep. The closest we'll ever get to flying real spaceships.

iHaunter

This is what I was saying, there is no drama.

It's the ignorant leading the blind that create it.

This is what I was saying, there is no drama.

It's the ignorant leading the blind that create it.

Wait, you aren't being "skeptical" enough.

*Baseless Skeptic mode*

Random Day 235: There HAS to something nefarious going on. Look all the money they got and look how much those ships that are being solid, pappy-cock. I don't care if the people buying them know full well what their paying for. It has to be a scam...right. Because this one begrudgingly unhinged internet guy, seems to have this amazing insider knowledge about nothing. But i eat it up wholesale anyway and then go from there. Now i know something is wrong with project, who cares if he's my only source, who cares if it's confirmation bias. He must be right. There's no way RSI (CIG) is running a clean shop.

No way, look at the delayed estimated dates, that cant be normal. I know this because game development behind closed doors is very public.

Ridiculous!

Possible "Bad" News, part 1: This isn't normal. Who cares about the many instances of games being sent out to die, or stripped of its original vision and released anyway or those that lingered in development hell for a decade and then released. Yeah, Yeah the horror stories from the traditional space are bad but, it cant be as seedy and secretive as this project, no way. It's a fact that internal and external development problems or hold ups only happen to RSI, hence why the game is not out yet. Five years is too long!! who cares when they opened their studio and how understaffed they were.

They got to be in turmoil, all they do is make and sell ships, not a game. Who cares if they say otherwise and have a early access type game to play, it's all a cover up. Doesn't matter if their actions overall display the opposite, that's a distraction. I don't care if they continuously update their community, that's just talk and pretty pictures.

Where's the GAME! that Kickstarter date was a hard release date. I don't care about your informed counter-argument. Stop excusing them, doesn't matter if i barely know anything about game development or like to dabble in double standards, knowingly or unknowingly.

I just like talking out my ass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I know when rewards for a project will be delivered?

Projects have an estimated delivery date under each reward on the project page. You can view the estimated delivery date either on the project page or under your Backed Projects list under the ‘Reward' tab. This date is determined by project creators as their best guess for when backers will receive their rewards. Please note that estimated delivery dates are not firm ship dates. When projects launch on Kickstarter, they're often in the early stages of development and the project itself must first be completed before rewards can be fulfilled.

https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/is-lateness-failure

Random Day 245: Uh, you thought I'd read Kickstarter's FAQ page? ROFL, even if that's the case (Here comes the classic double down) its still an excuse, "fact is" they made a promise for a release in 2016. Who cares if they pre-warned potential backers, about the risk in backing such an ambition game and that the game could/would be subject to change. Now back to all that money they got! i'm positive that CR is using it to buy fast cars, go on expansive vacations, buy a mansion and ride on a yacht.

Doesn't matter if the creator of the game was rich well beforehand. Which means that money is certainly not being used to provide 400 developers a steady salary and that's final. I don't care about not providing any evidence or proof to back my very serious statement and accusations up.

YOU LIED RSI!

Tell your "white knights" to stop poking holes in my arguments.

Unverified "Bad" News, part 2 "The Electric Boogaloo": Now leave me to continue my crusader, to take a thing like a loan, completely out of context and run with it. Because it only looks "bad" and truth be told, I've already convinced myself that they have to be running out of money. Since we all know that taking out a loan request is something that only broke people or broke companies do. Who cares if it's a tax rebate. Look it says Collateral...that seals it. Doesn't matter if the rest cant be read.

That proves that the game will not see the light of day until 2030, if at all.

Ha, no business on this planet takes out no stinky loan. Shits for pussies.

..........Pedantic Skeptic mode off.........

XD

At least those individuals are predictable and have a pattern of showing up to rub it in. Regardless if its actual real bad news or not.

Down to a science. Do you teach classes on this?

I should, but that would be a waste of time. Lots of practice with folks that say that they are only being skeptical or critical, but can't grasp having a balanced outlook.Before going headlong into conspiracy theorizes or assumptions.

Things like delays have occurred with the game so far, but i don't think I've really seen anything that's out of the ordinary and something to actually be concerned about regarding the success of the game. Delays, development issues and changes happen all the time with video game development, unless i've missed something there isn't really anything that's happened you should be worried about.

Nah, I don't buy this. I think a lot of the criticism comes from places that are familiar with game development and see how off it is, and the defending comes from those that aren't.

The reason the Goons became detractors is because that forum has a lot of gamedevs who kept pointing out the problems with how they were doing things.

Detractor complaint - Star Citizen has endless scope creep, one of the biggest problems that dooms game development, most relevantly with Chris Roberts Freelancer, which imploded the studio.
Backer defence - There has been no scope creep since they stopped doing the stretch goals in 2015.
Reality - They increased the scope recently promising survival gameplay, sandworms, and just now promising base building in BoredGamers studio tour, and Chris Roberts mentioned there is no defined scope, it grows with funding.
Conclusion Detractors 1-0.

Detractor complaint - Creating final art assets to sell before having gameplay systems nailed down is not how things are normally done in game development and leads to endless waste.
Backer defence - This is actually normal for game development, and not a problem anyway, if they need to redo stuff to support gameplay then that's fine.
Reality - We're on the fifth version of some ships, and some features like docking have had to be abandoned because they've finished so many art assets that the amount of work to redo them would be prohibitive.
Conclusion Detractors 2-0.

Detractor complaint - The PU has a positively glacial rate of progress for a development team of 300 people, after five years they'll have struggled to complete even a single system in a game that has 100, and only one civilian career out of many planned. There has not been a lot of work done internally on other landing zones or asset sets beyond what is visible. Estimated release dates have stretched from 2014 to 2025.
Backer defence - They're developing the tools to put out content faster, this is normal - content delivery will really speed up after they get 64-bit, gravity zones, Persistence, Procedural Planets, Item 2.0, Subsumption, StarNetwork, Mesh Servers done! Don't ask how this works for all the handcrafted stuff like landing zones plz.
Reality - There has been no patch adding PU content in eight months, the last 18 months has added clothes shopping, ships and a space station that had to be outsourced because they didn't have the resources to do it internally. Developing the content and gameplay is actually the most time-consuming part of development, not tech. Projects which had tech constantly in flux or engine issues tend to have messed up development like Day Z or Mass Effect Andromeda.
Conclusion Detractors 3-0.

Detractor complaint - SQ42 looks to be four years late (the average development time of a AAA game is 3 years), and has been rebooted in development, something that puts it into company with a bunch of other fucked-development games like FFXV, Duke Nukem Forever, etc.
Backer defence - SQ42 will be the best thing evar!!!!1! Not that I've seen anything that would inform my opinion of the quality level it's aiming to hit.
Reality - SQ42 has been AWOL since a terrible showing in 2015. The most recent news about it was that it was put up as collateral for a bank loan. Looking good guys!
Conclusion Detractors 42-0.

I could go on.

The reason the Goons became detractors is because that forum has a lot of gamedevs who kept pointing out the problems with how they were doing things.

Lmao, no wonder so many get so many things wrong.and general basic things right, once in a blue moon. Yet still mange to look clueless in the process..

Before doubling down on it and then cooking up fake "insider" knowledge to bait a 66 year old, delusional narcissist. Now here's a few of the reasons why the goons are "detractors"; its because they like fucking with the community and collecting tears and other meta shit, that's motto.Bunch of internet edgelords. But the minute they get confronted and someone calls their bluff. They go into hive-mind active measures. Beside that you say "The Goons became detractors is because that forum has a lot of gamedevs", when in reality a bunch of them are just armchair developers and are being armchair developers. Even though they wouldn't know the first thing to do with trying to make the same type of game. So that swan-dives their "street-cred". Don't even get me started on their failure to understand, why using false equivalency as a basis for a argument is retarded. Shit them being goons makes it worse.

Also are you seriously keeping score? how cute. That's Rubber for you, he's like a broken record. You're not a goalie, shit at the very least bring up more relevant and original shit. I see a lot of the goons are still butt hurt that they keep getting shut down and got mass banned two to three years ago.

That hate boner, lives on. Tell your buddies to suck it up.

Because CIG wouldn't listen to them. Now go back to the crawl space you came out of. Mr. Rubber "pattern of carrying the flag of baseless bullshittery" Johnny.

Yes, yes "white knight" and all that jazz.

So no counterarguments then.

This is what it looks like when an insular community begins to eat itself.

Oh look a cherry picking Henry, You got nothing to add, but blanket statements? i see.

You guys are far to transparent. Also Rubber is not apart of the community, he's a FUD eater and greeter. Matter a fact let me kick your "This is what it looks like when an insular community begins to eat itself" in the teeth. The only thing my statement shows is that some have a vested interest in seeing this game fail and that much of that comes from the outside. Who are grossly and predictable uninformed about. What the community is and isn't like in reality. The truth is that the community has been known to give CIG more shit, then people outside the project could fathom. Since all there faults and shortcomings, have a tendency to show it's ugly head at inopportune times.

Any-who, i wasn't trying to present any counter-arguments to placate more baseless and bunk bs. Many of which, has already been addressed many times over the last few months and or years
No reason to indulge ignorance and a known prevaricator. Better to leave your affirmations at the doorstep, and think of some real criticisms.

Hopefully 3.0 is out soon-ish, so we'll have something else to argue about.

By all accounts. So do i.

The sooner the better.

elyetis

For all the fear I understand not everyone share, the landing zone one seems hard not to have when you see how they couldn't even have ready the one originaly planned for 3.0. It doesn't seems like one of the aspect which should be greatly impacted by the new tools.

For all the fear I understand not everyone share, the landing zone one seems hard not to have when you see how they couldn't even have ready the one originaly planned for 3.0. It doesn't seems like one of the aspect which should be greatly impacted by the new tools.

The only reason why the original landing zones, was not ready for planets and the planets themselves. Is because the 3rd party studio that was tasked with making that happen. Decided not to renew their contract, citing a need to work on their own projects. Putting CIG in a tough spot. Although that information should have been provided weeks in advance instead of, when they announced the new 3.0 schedule. But at the very least we know why, now of course the tools to make that happen and that being ready is a must as well.

I think CIG has learned that it's better to get out in front of a possible issue, instead of sitting on it for weeks and hyping things up too early. Which is why the schedule updates helps the wait.

elyetis

The only reason why the original landing zones, was not ready for planets and the planets themselves. Is because the 3rd party studio that was tasked with making that happen. Decided not to renew their contract, citing a need to work on their own projects. Putting CIG in a tough spot.
I can't completely agree with that. I mean it definitely did put them in a hard spot, but given how it only happened in december, which is close to their original expectation for 3.0, it still mean those landing zone are not made as fast as they expected them to be. That being said I :
- don't know what % of the total number of landing zone it represent
- now that it is in-house it might be made faster than when it was made by Behaviour
- even if it's hand crafted and those landing zone should feel unique, they might still be able to save some time reusing some asset intelligently

But I can't shake the feeling that even a 2020 release could be kind of barebone when it comes to handmade content/asset like landing zone, if there isn't a clear increase in pace on that front.
Although that information should have been provided weeks in advance instead of, when they announced the new 3.0 schedule. But at the very least we know why, now of course the tools to make that happen and that being ready is a must as well.

It's better to get out in front of a possible issue or hold up, instead of sitting on it for weeks. Which is why the schedule updates helps the wait.
I can only agree, I think the schedule updates is the biggest improvement CIG did when it comes to communication since the begining of the project. I still really don't like how Behaviour moving to another project was announced so late, I think it's hard to argue that even if you don't have a problem with some of the bad news ( delay, or things like the vertical SQ42 vertical slice being dropped ) it's pretty much always announced far too late; that was always my biggest problem with the delay in this project ( and why I like schedule updates so much, and would like to see SQ42 being part of it ).

I can't completely agree with that. I mean it definitely did put them in a hard spot, but given how it only happened in december, which is close to their original expectation for 3.0, it still mean those landing zone are not made as fast as they expected them to be.

That's not how that situation would go down, i don't think. Regardless of when CIG announced it, especially since we don't know, what state Behavior left their project in. Pretty sure it was a simply hand off. In either case that non-renewal most likely happened two to three weeks or a month prior. Give or take. That's what it reads to me. Although you may be right that they maybe couldn't get the landing zone and the planets into a place that made sense. Specially since a few tools that would have helped that move along, are no available. Like the solar system tool and procedural, reusable and handcrafted buildings and structures.

That would apply more with Illfonic and that fallout.

I think they can achieve at least 40 to 60 percent of their target goal in regards to space entity generation and content production. As they continue improve their tools and implement features and mechanics. Once they finish converting older works to more updated platforms and methodologies. It's all about taking less on one specific thing, but also having the knowledge and tools to achieve the same level of quality. Which seems to to be paying off for the ship production teams and other areas. Lots of headway is being make to make, those loafy goals possible. The light is there though.

It's all about perfecting the tools, getting the pipeline right, having a reasonable schedule, communication, managing time-zones, getting the delta patcher out and continuing to make the engine, developer friendly and bespoke. To reign in this beast of a project. Because let me tell you it's starting to dawn on them, how much they need to do, lol. Yet they seem up for the challenge.

The rest of your statement, i can agree with for the most part. We'll see what they have in store for us (well i know some of that anyway XD).

I could go on.

While some of those points are a bit more valid than others, I think it's really got well past the point of being based in actual concern for the game if you're still going on about the loan and the collateral as if it's a bad thing, even after you changed your story about it several times before ultimately being proved wrong about the whole situation. I do find it strange how you seem to conveniently disappear once your criticisms are shown to be wrong, only to suddenly reappear and ignore the previous posts and just move onto whatever the next set of complaints and random criticisms you can come up with is, though.

While some of those points are a bit more valid than others, I think it's really got well past the point of being based in actual concern for the game if you're still going on about the loan and the collateral as if it's a bad thing, even after you changed your story about it several times before ultimately being proved wrong about the whole situation. I do find it strange how you seem to conveniently disappear once your criticisms are shown to be wrong, only to suddenly reappear and ignore the previous posts and just move onto whatever the next set of complaints and random criticisms you can come up with is, though.

Its simple he's DA and is looking forward to that "Told you so" moment. That will never come, really he's a masochist.

elyetis

Regardless of when CIG announced it, especially since we don't know, what state Behavior left their project in. Pretty sure it was a simply hand off. In either case that non-renewal most likely happened two to three weeks or a month prior. Give or take. That's what it reads to me.
I didn't say december because it was announced by CIG in december, it was actually announced in april, that's where they stated december. ( which is a fair example of announcing a bad news, far too late )
We had originally hoped to deliver most of the Stanton Landing Zones with the first release of Planetary Tech, but that proved optimistic once the talented team at Behaviour, who had built ArcCorp, Levski, Grim HEX and had begun work on the remaining landing zones of Stanton, moved off Star Citizen and onto another Behaviour project in December.

I didn't say december because it was announced by CIG in december, it was actually announced in april, that's where they stated december. ( which is a fair example of announcing a bad news, far too late )

Oh, okay. That's makes more sense. In either case the minute Behaviour stopped helping, was the moment. That doing whole planets and the legacy landing zones, wasn't going to happen in time. So it was pushed back, so that work could continue to be done internal. I totally agree that any drama or speculation about that unfortunate news could have been avoided and revealed sooner.

Because by all accounts the community as a whole, would have been much happier to know that type of stuff beforehand. Sometimes CIG is their own worst enemy.

It's that self inflicted damage to themselves that stroked the flames of distrust, last year. It's one of the reason why they won't be revealing anything prior to Gamecom or Citizencon so it's a surprise, instead of it being hyped up to the nines and possibly not making it at the last minute. I'm sure CIG is just as happy about the schedule updates. Since it makes sure that the community isn't left in the dark, when it comes to large releases and it also kills two birds with one stone, sorta speak.

So that's how you link external sites to words. lol

I can't completely agree with that. I mean it definitely did put them in a hard spot, but given how it only happened in december, which is close to their original expectation for 3.0, it still mean those landing zone are not made as fast as they expected them to be. That being said I :
- don't know what % of the total number of landing zone it represent
- now that it is in-house it might be made faster than when it was made by Behaviour
- even if it's hand crafted and those landing zone should feel unique, they might still be able to save some time reusing some asset intelligently

But I can't shake the feeling that even a 2020 release could be kind of barebone when it comes to handmade content/asset like landing zone, if there isn't a clear increase in pace on that front.

The increased time was because worked stopped and they needed to bring it inhouse. That either means hiring more people (which they seemed to have done) and also allocate resources that were focused elsewhere. The assets are done for levski and a physics issue was the reason it was estimated for this PTU. The issue is, once they have one functional it should be easier to create more as the underlying elements not just the art was holding them back. The same thing applies to a system, having one in place basically can serve as a template. Worrying about how quickly the first iteration comes is never and indicator of how quickly the next sets will be. Look at the ship pipeline for example.

Before year end, they are looking to add to more landing areas and NINETEEN ships (including reworks, varients and flight ready). This is all in addition to adding in gameplay systems, AI, System entities and masses, all into the release before next iteration.

They are doing alot and their timeline is insane, so when they delayed the PTU for only two weeks, it is entirely laughable how some tried to spin it.

But it is there in that link though as well

We had originally hoped to deliver most of the Stanton Landing Zones with the first release of Planetary Tech, but that proved optimistic once the talented team at Behaviour, who had built ArcCorp, Levski, Grim HEX and had begun work on the remaining landing zones of Stanton, moved off Star Citizen and onto another Behaviour project in December. We had been steadily shifting our reliance away from external resources and we felt it would be unfair to block them from the opportunity to work on their own game. Unfortunately, replacing an Environment team of over 20 is no small task, which has set back the progress we had originally planned to make on the landing zones of Stanton. As of today, we have just abut replaced the team with internal hires and we are continuing to hire additional environment artists as fast as we can find ones that meet our quality bar. The Environment Team is now some 37 artists strong, so long term we feel we are better situated to deliver the vast amount of locations that Star Citizen and Squadron 42 needs.

as mentioned before, that process couldn't have been done over night, hence the delay. But behaviour did a good job with Grim Hex and ArcCorp. Much respect to them.

Like a screaming child in a classroom, there are some that just want attention. It is best to ignore them then to repeatedly point out how wrong they are or distortion of the facts. It's a waste of time because they aren't interested in the truth really.

anothertech

Friends trying to get me into The game again. I swore two years ago I was waiting for the 2016 release. Still going to wait for the 'launch' whenever that happens.

Friends trying to get me into The game again. I swore two years ago I was waiting for the 2016 release. Still going to wait for the 'launch' whenever that happens.

That 2016 was never feasibly going to happen, anyway. Once they got a huge influx of money late 2013 well into 2014 and changed the scope of the game, due to the communities continued ability to break stretch goal milestones, before CIG shut that thing down and pushed towards getting out of pre-production and into full. By opening up other studios in key countries and hiring more developers, before things came to a head in 2015 and a episode of internal and external turmoil, took hold for a bit. Before they course corrected and streamlined their communication and pipeline coordination. Now we're here waiting for 3.0 and whatever else CIG has got in store.

It's still surprising how many people don't read Kickstarters FAQ page. In regards to estimated delivery dates. Not really pointing this at you. Though.

+100

elyetis

The increased time was because worked stopped and they needed to bring it inhouse.

as mentioned before, that process couldn't have been done over night, hence the delay. But behaviour did a good job with Grim Hex and ArcCorp. Much respect to them.
I'm absolutly not denying that loosing Behavior meant an unavoidable delay at that point. I'm only saying as of december when Behavior left, they were already late on the Landing zone creation since 3.0 was originaly going to be a 2016 release; meaning that those Landing zone should already have been close to ready around that time.

That being said 3.1 should show us where they are on that front now that they are in house.

I'm absolutly not denying that loosing Behavior meant an unavoidable delay at that point. I'm only saying as of december when Behavior left, they were already late on the Landing zone creation since 3.0 was originaly going to be a 2016 release; meaning that those Landing zone should already have been close to ready around that time.

That being said 3.1 should show us where they are on that front now that they are in house.

That's the thing. They parted ways in december it doesn't mean the CIG wasn't notified earlier and work reduced. The implication is that this setback happened between Citizencon 2016 and December. Losing outsourcing and having to hire and restructure set them back months on multiple fronts. I am sure they didn't talk about it until they were able to get the new schedule up. It seems like there were issues with item 2.0 that held things up as well as detailed by the bugsmashers guy. Maybe they could have released a version of 3.0 in Dec sans landing spot, but it wouldn't be up to chris's standards, so he wouldn't let it fly. There just seems to be very specific things they team feels comfortable in showing. I don't blame them since they want to see how this is going to work in the long run, so they most likely have a list of features they want to see the player data on.

I am not sure why you would wait for 3.1 since area 18 is scheduled but the others are actually scheduled for 3.2. --> Production Schedule

Oh hey, the landing zones are my pet topic!

So here's how it is. Behaviour worked on three landing zones at a time, and they took 18 months to go from start to completion - all this is from the monthly reports. They only have two complete - ArcCorp and Nyx with Terra Prime in an almost done state (although Terra Prime apparently has three landing zone sized districts in a single megacity, so can count as three).

The three remaining Stanton landing zones were only in whitebox by the time Chris promised them ready for the end of 2016 with four months to go, which was absurd - the ones already done spent three months on lighting passes alone once they'd reached final art stage! Plus from their statement there was only 20 Behaviour staff working on all of them, when previous monthly report their staff numbers were between 60 and 80, so they expected them to work over three times faster with one third the numbers, or a 900% speedup.

Needless to say, this was impossible, by September we got a view of where they were at and they had just had their first texturing pass. So inevitably we got to November and the monthly report suggested they were shrinking down one of the landing zones to 1/4 its size to make it "more feasible".

Then Behaviour went AWOL from the December monthly report, then we got confirmation they were gone in March, but no one was listed as taking over the landing zones from them. No one is listed on the 3.0 schedule as working on them, and it's been eight months since we've seen or heard anything about them.

They still have a bunch to do, if you go on the Galactic Guide pages, the ones that mention cities or settlements by name, on planets fleshed out in much more detail with unique concept art were supposed to be the landing zones - stuff like Spider, Cassell, Odyssa, Tram, etc. There were around 40 of them, as mentioned early on.

Now they've probably realised they've bitten off more than they can chew and will just do the Earth landing zones that they promised in the Kickstarter and that's it.

That's not to mention the different asset sets they need for stuff like space stations - they've done one, the Truck Stop asset set out of about a dozen and that took eight months by the 3.0 schedule. They only work on one at a time despite working on up to a dozen ships simultaneously on the 3.0 schedule, and that's not including all the secret ships they're not including on their schedule.

TL;DR most of the artists are working on ships to raise money rather than content to make a game. This is why there's so little game there after five years.

I think i hit a nerve.

Sorry cabbagehead, nothing you wrote there actually engaged with the arguments, it's just a string of nonsequiturs and word salad.

elyetis

That's the thing. They parted ways in december it doesn't mean the CIG wasn't notified earlier and work reduced. The implication is that this setback happened between Citizencon 2016 and December. Losing outsourcing and having to hire and restructure set them back months on multiple fronts.
Oh ok, that make sense.

I am not sure why you would wait for 3.1 since area 18 is scheduled but the others are actually scheduled for 3.2. --> Production Schedule
I missed that part, that's quite the setback if they still intend to push 3.x patch every 3-4 month, it already mean a 2018 release for those landing zone.

Sure buddy, how about you stop talking out your ass and then we can talk about non-sequitur's and word salads. Seems to me that you were triggered enough to crawl out from your hole in the ground. It funny that you think. That you have anything constructive to say.

After your little premature celebration when that loan story, fall flat on its face at 2,000 ft.

TL;DR most of the artists are working on ships to raise money rather than content to make a game. This is why there's so little game there after five years.

This guy is a next level tool. He actually believes this bullshit and he can't count. I guess all the work i saw this past week at the LA office was just them making ships....lmao.

Oh ok, that make sense.

I missed that part, that's quite the setback if they still intend to push 3.x patch every 3-4 month, it already mean a 2018 release for those landing zone.

The Detla Patcher (if it can make it into 3.0 or 3.1) should help that process. Especially once they get 3.0 to a relative place of confidence and the tools they've built are shown to work.

it's just a string of nonsequiturs and word salad.

And what you say isn't half the time? I'm still waiting for an explanation for this:

I feel you're focusing on semantic minutiae here rather than asking the core question, which is why after taking $150 million of gamers money do they need a(nother) loan?

So Ganyc posts an explanation for the loan, you refuse it and say there's no reason for collateral, then get told a reason for the collateral that lines up with Ganyc's explanation, now are saying there's no explanation for the loan...

You dismissed the initial explanation for the loan (which turned out to be correct after all) and said there was no reason to have collateral in the first place because you could get a loan without it, then an explanation for why there would be collateral was posted (because it was a secured loan, which needs collateral), and then you change your story to "there's no explanation for the loan in the first place!" when the explanation for it was the entire topic being discussed.

Ganyc

yeah...no...ship artists aren't level designers and level designers aren't ship artists, you can't just order ship artists to make a video game level oder game mechanics...

and are you implying that cig only have ship artists? that is just...i can't even...

You dismissed the initial explanation for the loan (which turned out to be correct after all) and said there was no reason to have collateral in the first place because you could get a loan without it, then an explanation for why there would be collateral was posted (because it was a secured loan, which needs collateral), and then you change your story to "there's no explanation for the loan in the first place!" when the explanation for it was the entire topic being discussed.

I mean a lot of the stuff you thought I was arguing against I wasn't because it was edited into Gayncs post later, so I didn't really know how to respond to that other than "your premise that I disagree with this stuff is wrong".

yeah...no...ship artists aren't level designers and level designers aren't ship artists, you can't just order ship artists to make a video game level oder game mechanics...

Do you really think there are dedicated spaceship artists? What games were they working on prior to Star Citizen, where did they earn their professional experience as a spaceship artist when there were no spaceship games for like ten years before Star Citizen? What toolchain do the spaceship artists use if it isn't the CryEngine and 3DS Max/Maya that the level artists use? This is what happens when you regurgitate stuff from uninformed people on the subreddit without thinking about it for a second.

and are you implying that cig only have ship artists? that is just...i can't even...

No, I'm suggesting they have the bulk of resources in the wrong place if you want a game before 2030.

Can anyone talk about the difference between Elite Dangerous and This, in regards to space combat?

Space combat is so slow and boring in ED, really hoping for something with a little more speed/zip.

Top Bottom