• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness announced (PS3/PS4, tri-Ace)

chozen

Just noticed that the blonde and blue hair hero alternating with every title, interesting....1-blue 2-blonde 3-blue 4-blonde and 5 goes with blue again ^.^

Lol wow I didn't notice it but the new character looked like he had black hair till I took a better look at the pics, really dark blueish

batbeg

Looking at the high quality scans and it looks fantastic. But that woman with the scantily clad black and gold attire is a rather... boisterous design. I love her hat and head but the rest is uh, yeah. I really like the lighting though.

benzy

So it looks like there might be a time cycle in the game. Two of the scans show the same town surrounded by castle walls, but the daytime lighing/hue looks pretty different in both.

Soriku

Looking at the high quality scans and it looks fantastic. But that woman with the scantily clad black and gold attire is a rather... boisterous design. I love her hat and head but the rest is uh, yeah. I really like the lighting though.

Yeah this game is really sharp. I think the environments may need to be spruced up a bit, but the characters look really good. Don't like how they modeled the main girl though - her eyes are placed too high on her face and it looks awkward. Hope it's not too much to ask for the loli to be better modeled lolz.

Also someone on GameFAQs translated some additional information from Famitsu, but not everything is 100% confirmed unless someone else can vouch...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/146575-star-ocean-5/71637175

Development started in 2013, Autumn. Kobayashi (producer) said "Let's do it" and Gotanda accepted.

The scenario is all wrote by Gotanda, he said is the biggest Star Ocean scenario he wrote but he don't know if everything will appear in the game.

Item Creation and Private Action are very popular among the fans, IC and PA confirmed.

Protagonist Fidel is 23 years-old, they said Star Ocean fans are adults now, that's why they wanted to do an adult protagonist and more serious.
Fidel relation with Miki is like Fait and Sofie.

SO5 will be more Fantasy than sci-fi, SO4 was very Sci-fi, so they want to change now.

Lilia (the loli) is an important character.

The game is created for the SO fans.

PS. Gotanda is SO creator, SO1 writer and programmer, SO2 director, writer and programmer, SO3 director, writer and programmer, SO Blue Sphere director, lead programmer of tri-Ace and president of tri-Ace.

Datschge

Oh, he's confirmed?

I only read the first page. He wasn't on the staff list. I just found out about this news. :)

Edit: Confirmed from the press release. Found out from Dats' site. Awesome!

I actually posted it first in this thread before updating the site. ;) (After seeing GMO running it as news but without any source, just stating it as an educated guess...)

Development started in 2013? No wonder this is cross gen

Also I wouldn't expect too much travelling on this one considering the main characters are from an underdeveloped planet.

Soriku

I hope we can fight one of the Valkyries
Hrist plz
like in SO3.

Some more info:

Fidel:
- Is a cool character.
- Is very kind with everyone
- He defends himself with the left part of the body and attacks with the right.

from the seiyuu:
- He is a fan of Star Ocean 4, when they said him that SO5 was in development, he was very happy but he couldn't think they will call him to do the protagonist role, "it is an honor".
- He has sweated a lot with this character (laugh), there are a lot of movements and emotion. When he scream the Hissatsuwaza, the tension is rising.
- When he was screaming the attacks, it was very fun.

Miki:
- Magic curation character.
- She eats a lot.
- She never left the town, so she doesn't know nothing about the world.
- Is a nice person and very kind.
- If she has an objective, she will do anything to accomplish it.
- She is weak so and wants to protect everyone and herself.

the seiyuu thinks she is very "kawaii" character, careless and she is very happy to do this role.
there are a lot of cool scenes in the main scenario and a lot of funny scenes in the Camp (Private Actions).
there are a lot of handsome ("ikemen").

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/146575-star-ocean-5/71637175

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
more fantasy? why tri-Ace, why you do this?
still buying, but I didn't ask for this

I dunno but SO2 is more fantasy than Sci-Fi and that's the best one in the series!

Ryne

I want more sci-fi as well, even though I loved SO2.

Oh well, I'm just glad we got a new game since I thought this was dead.

ivDgOHN9zcOeg.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's not like sci-fi won't be in the game...

It was known ever since it was confirmed she's both mysterious and amnesiac.

Mysterious character who also has amnesia? Practically 99% of all fiction, both western and Japanese use this trope up the wazoo for 'that character is super important to the storyline development'
She's an alien, 100%

Dark_castle

Protagonist, Fidel is slightly older than standard JRPG lead, 23 years old. And the writer of SO5 is the same writer of the first three games. Even though SO3 had that insane plot twist, at least it didn't have any characters that are flat out offensive like Lymle, so I'd take this as good news. I am also one of those who largely prefer fantasy over sci-fi setting, so I'm cool with what's planned here.

Please, just bring back pickpocket and comparable complexity of item creation from SO2.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any have the team list for the Star Ocean games? It feels like SO4 was made by a completely different team.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
People complain about little girl characters or characters who have poor understanding of what the concept of clothing is, but the worst design in the series is definitely Bacchus.

Neon green, lanky, Lego Bionicle-looking Buzz Lightyear ripoff. God, he looked terrible.

wrowa

Protagonist, Fidel is slightly older than standard JRPG lead, 23 years old. And the writer of SO5 is the same writer of the first three games. Even though SO3 had that insane plot twist, at least it didn't have any characters that are flat out offensive like Lymle, so I'd take this as good news.

He's older, but his description sounds just like any other JRPG protagonist. It's obviously a bit silly to judge a character based on two lines of description, but if not offensively dumb he still sounds rather boring so far.

It actually amused me when I read his reasoning for an older protagonist (fanbase consisting of adults now). Just changing the age of your characters doesn't make them more appealing to an older audience, when they are still written just like any other anime teenager.

aravuus

Protagonist, Fidel is slightly older than standard JRPG lead, 23 years old. And the writer of SO5 is the same writer of the first three games. Even though SO3 had that insane plot twist, at least it didn't have any characters that are flat out offensive like Lymle, so I'd take this as good news. I am also one of those who largely prefer fantasy over sci-fi setting, so I'm cool with what's planned here.

Please, just bring back pickpocket and comparable complexity of item creation from SO2.

Oh, he's 23? I'm 23. That's refreshing, I'm slowly starting to get more and more sick of the usual 16-year old protagonists

I hope he acts like an adult too, but I'm doubtful

Arthea

Oh, he's 23? I'm 23. That's refreshing, I'm slowly starting to get more and more sick of the usual 16-year old protagonists

I hope he acts like an adult too, but I'm doubtful

you don't strike me as particularly mature, just telling
I kid, I kid

Dark_castle

He's older, but his description sounds just like any other JRPG protagonist. It's obviously a bit silly to judge a character based on two lines of description, but if not offensively dumb he still sounds rather boring so far.

It actually amused me when I read his reasoning for an older protagonist (fanbase consisting of adults now). Just changing the age of your characters doesn't make them more appealing to an older audience, when they are still written just like any other anime teenager.

I get what you're saying, but if I were to pick the poison, I would rather have boring than dumb or annoying. Let's see if his age reflects his personality and actions in the game, but personally I highly doubt he would turn out like Guts or anything, so I guess it'll still be pretty standard anime stuff.

Muzicfreq

Banned
People complain about little girl characters or characters who have poor understanding of what the concept of clothing is, but the worst design in the series is definitely Bacchus.

Neon green, lanky, Lego Bionicle-looking Buzz Lightyear ripoff. God, he looked terrible.

Nah, he's alright, It would have to go to Ms. Chicken
Then again I think that was more due to the horrible translation from art to ingame graphics and her shitty animation... Then again most the animations were stiff. Hopefully they'll loosen up a bit

bomblord1

Banned
Speaking of Star Ocean 4 designs.

I've been thinking about Meracle. Her clothes are insane and in very poor taste but thinking back on it she's the only character in the game dressed like that. Even when
you get to her home planet later
no one, even those of the same race, are dressed like that.

That means the only logical conclusion I can come to is that the scientist who was taking care of her made her dress like that which on top of implying some very negative things about the character makes Meracles affection for him creepy.

Totally agree.

Also, yes, I really liked the feel of that "first time in space" stuff, I always wanted some of that in Star Ocean, added grandeur to the space setting.

Glad I'm not alone on this one, of course you can only really do it once but worldbuilding is always nice, it really added some depth and meaning to all that was happening and made exploring all the more interesting as you could see the characters had no idea what awaits them.

People complain about SO4, but it did a lot right.

• You have your own ship
  • You spend a good amount of time traveling through space
  • You can visit and revisit planets
  • One of those planets is a huge bone being thrown to longtime SO fans (Roak)
  • Another one of those planets is highly hinted to be an early version of Energy Nede from SO2 (EN II)
  • You visit Earth
  • You are not the only one visiting planets (Crowe and crew are also going around influencing the world)
  • The game ties into other Star Ocean stories at several places
    Ronyx and Claude's ancestor, Crowe marrying into the Farrence family and being Ratix/Roddick's grandfather while also explaining how the "light blades" came onto Roak

Lymle's planet was cool, too. It was a game full of fantastic concepts that had a few GLARING flaws, like bad characterization and odd story beats
Edge blowing up alternate Earth by being a dumbass and then brooding over it being an infamous awkward example.

I agree with you too, I especially liked the fact that you had your own spaceship and could decide down the line where to go, literally setting out into the "Star Ocean" and dealing with whatever came your way.
I don't think Edge made a good captain candidate at all but hey he kinda had to become one and it worked out decently minus the alternate earth thing. I mean I know they had to do something to escape and the people on this earth were pretty dangerous but eradicating it entirely from existence, 100% willingly or not was a bit too much :p

Speaking of Star Ocean 4 designs.

I've been thinking about Meracle. Her clothes are insane and in very poor taste but thinking back on it she's the only character in the game dressed like that. Even when
you get to her home planet later
no one, even those of the same race, are dressed like that.

That means the only logical conclusion I can come to is that the scientist who was taking care of her made her dress like that which implies some very negative things about his character. Meracles affection for him actually reaches an entirely new level of creepy with that thought as well.
She was a real catgirl on present day Earth

You can be sure there were some weeaboos on that research team.

Sci-fi not being the focus is a little disappointing. Oh well, as long as it's explorable and fun like Elicoor 2 it won't really matter.

I love that they're looking back to SO3 for this game. One of my favorites of all time.

bomblord1

Banned
I think you guys should gauge your expectations that this will always end up as an anime game like Tales or even the past Star Ocean games. Think of Tales with a much higher budget and you get Star Ocean.

Also, SO1-SO3 barely had multiple planetary travels (1 focused on 2 planets, 2 focused on 2 planets, 3 focused on 1 planet and had 2 minor planets, namely Moonbase and Hyda IV). It was only SO4 that allowed you to explore multiple planets.

3 Had Hyda IV, Vanguard III, Elicoor II, Moonbase, Styx, and
4D space

Despera

Banned

dude looked like a knockoff toy

Top Bottom