• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Acolyte Reportedly Introduces Pronouns, The Force as a Female Entity

MayauMiao

I'm out.

DgCUAch.gif

I did it since Last Jedi.

Now I just watch the brand destroys itself.

Gp1

All of those things were Lucas creations. Not Disney.

And you all have YOURSELVES to blame for Lucas selling to Disney. If y'all hadn't complained about EVERYTHING he did post Return of the Jedi, he might still be in charge. But nope... He grew disillusioned by the constant "fan" backlash of his new projects and people saying that he forgot what Star Wars was.

So enjoy what you all sowed.

My point was, this part was bad even with Lucas. So Disney f*up with a part that was already bad is fair game and expected.

What really piss me off is Disney f*up parts that were decent under the Lucas universe / EU (Old republic, Luke, etc.)

What's really not funny about this is if George hadn't sold, Star Wars would have gone down in history like The Wizard of Oz, something that people still watch and remember after 85 years.

Instead the likeliest thing that's going to happen if it's just going to keep getting devalued until it's worthless, then trashed and forgotten.

One of the worst decisions a creative has ever made about their long term legacy, maybe history will filter out all this garbage and only the original movies is what will be remembered, but the more shit they crank out like this, the less likely that gets by the day.

No, they were bad.
Even if they're bad, this is worse because a key difference is the people behind this are actually legitimately *evil*, they hate you, they hate me, would probably laugh if we died, would actively support policies that would hurt us and our families, these are very evil people.

It's weird that this is where we've wound up with pop culture, where stuff is no longer just bad but actively evil in it's beliefs and agendas and what it pushes people to think, I used to hate Michael Bay back in the day, but I never thought Michael Bay wanted to hurt me.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So glad I checked out from Star Wars content after Andor.

I used to be a massive Star Wars nerd. I’m talking full, screen accurate, prequel Jedi outfit with multiple custom lightsabers, an active member of Rebel Legion with plans to also make an outfit to join the 501st. Disney managed to do what I once thought was unthinkable: They’ve made me completely indifferent and apathetic towards Star Wars.
I was a huge Star Wars fan too and I just cannot believe how much they've completely turned me off to it. I'm talking about someone who even loves the prequels.

And The last 5 years I looked for another space opera that would be more appealing to me. I never used to like Warhammer 40,000 and then I became a big fan of that as a result. I'm also enjoying Star Trek lately more than Star Wars and I used to be the other way around.

It's beyond sad what Disney has done to that franchise.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Even if they're bad, this is worse because a key difference is the people behind this are actually legitimately *evil*, they hate you, they hate me, would probably laugh if we died, would actively support policies that would hurt us and our families, these are very evil people.

It's weird that this is where we've wound up with pop culture, where stuff is no longer just bad but actively evil in it's beliefs and agendas and what it pushes people to think, I used to hate Michael Bay back in the day, but I never thought Michael Bay wanted to hurt me.

It's wild you actually believe this!

Fbh

It's time to move on. I got the outrage with the first few shitty movies/shows, but at this point you should know what you are getting. If you are still paying for Disney+ and tuning into this crap you are either into torturing yourself, or you actually enjoy new Star Wars and just don't want to admit it.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
It's time to move on. I got the outrage with the first few shitty movies/shows, but at this point you should know what you are getting. If you are still paying for Disney+ and tuning into this crap you are either into torturing yourself, or you actually enjoy new Star Wars and just don't want to admit it.
Pretty much this. I gave up on Star Wars midway through Mando season 3. Realized that Star Wars was never really that good. Only IV and V. The rest is mediocre to bad.

SoloCamo

This is all on purpose, but, why?

Game companies hating white people
Game companies destroying I.P's
Film companies destroying I.P's
Race baiting everywhere you look
People messing kids minds up everywhere

What is all this? None of this is normal by any sense and it all seems to be running in lockstep

It's too much.

Welcome to the club that gets called out for apparently wearing tin foil hats. Glad to see what has been obvious for years now ;). What can be seen cannot be unseen so just try to enjoy the ride.

Pictured: "I'M RICK JAMES, BITCH!"
Came here to post this

It's wild you actually believe this!
It's what literally pushing "the force is female" in universe translates to, femaleness is better than maleness in a literal cosmic, metaphysical sense, it's how these people think, that certain aspects of identity make them literally better than other people.

This is a pretty evil way of looking at things, when the entire point of the Force was it was literally something that binds all things, this is ironically pretty transphobic way of looking at things too.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I see both sides negative and positive of the acolyte, what was life like for Jedi before the republic, the jail scene in the first acolyte episode was really good and typically that’s all I need in a show like this. Narratives, and gender wars only come up on forums, social media but I don’t take those seriously.

I'm not paying, and I'm not watching. I just like to check in once and again to see how messed up things have gotten. Like checking an ex's facebook page or something. I hope it's the same for most people in these threads.

If people think my take is crazy, tell me what's not kinda evil about changing something that's point was supposed to be the connecting tissue between all things into "it's female lol"?

Is it not kinda evil to take something established by someone else and radically change it? I think it is.

We live in a very mean spirited culture, this whole narrative of "HAHA, SUCK IT DOWN STARBROS, THIS IS OUR THING NOW AND WE DON'T WANT YOU ANYMORE!" is such asshole behavior, really low minded stuff.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
If people think my take is crazy, tell me what's not kinda evil about changing something that's point was supposed to be the connecting tissue between all things into "it's female lol"?

Is it not kinda evil to take something established by someone else and radically change it? I think it is.

We live in a very mean spirited culture, this whole narrative of "HAHA, SUCK IT DOWN STARBROS, THIS IS OUR THING NOW AND WE DON'T WANT YOU ANYMORE!" is such asshole behavior, really low minded stuff.
YLr5cwK.jpeg

Nonehxc

Meanwhile, being from Spain where The Force has always been 'La Fuerza' in spanish, as it has always been since time immemorial because Force in latin languages has always been feminine, I'm like...

🤷🏻‍♂️

But you do you and raise a campaign because I cannot wait to see it changed to

EL FUERZO

😆😆

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Right. Disney has made people lower their standards so much that even the most middling movies receive praise.

The dialogue in those prequels cannot be defended.
Sure it can!

It’s a tragedy, heavily influenced by Greek tragedy and Shakespeare. So people speak intensely and in earnest, and it often takes on characteristics of a stage play during dialogue scenes.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Sure it can!

It’s a tragedy, heavily influenced by Greek tragedy and Shakespeare. So people speak intensely and in earnest, and it often takes on characteristics of a stage play during dialogue scenes.

One could even go so far as to argue shot composition and filming technique added to this, as well. George Lucas was a cutting edge tech nut, and he was largely fascinated with using his chosen medium as a way to throw methods and technology he favored into the mainstream eye. As with any pioneer of basically any craft, the original innovators often have the idea before anyone else, but find themselves woefully lacking from a technical standpoint. This causes a lot of people in my age range to cite over reliance or badly aging CGI as a blanket to dismiss everything George has ever done.

All of that to say, the man is regularly and sadly underestimated for his knowledge, passion and skill regarding his own property. IV-VI felt a specific way, as did I-III, and as time marches on, it seems more and more intentional and purposeful.

I could be drinking the Kool-aid and seeing Shakespeare faces in the poop pile because I'm used to things like Rose at the end of TLJ or the RHCP Scooby-Doo chase sequence and frankly I'm 96% sure I could find more of substance to analyze in a random episode of King of the Hill.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
One could even go so far as to argue shot composition and filming technique added to this, as well. George Lucas was a cutting edge tech nut, and he was largely fascinated with using his chosen medium as a way to throw methods and technology he favored into the mainstream eye. As with any pioneer of basically any craft, the original innovators often have the idea before anyone else, but find themselves woefully lacking from a technical standpoint. This causes a lot of people in my age range to cite over reliance or badly aging CGI as a blanket to dismiss everything George has ever done.

All of that to say, the man is regularly and sadly underestimated for his knowledge, passion and skill regarding his own property. IV-VI felt a specific way, as did I-III, and as time marches on, it seems more and more intentional and purposeful.

I could be drinking the Kool-aid and seeing Shakespeare faces in the poop pile because I'm used to things like Rose at the end of TLJ or the RHCP Scooby-Doo chase sequence and frankly I'm 96% sure I could find more of substance to analyze in a random episode of King of the Hill.
Nah, you’re not imagining things, that’s exactly what Lucas was going for. The fandom overreacted and missed the point since it was different and wasn’t executed perfectly.

But now we know what cheap fan service slop feels like in comparison. Everyone got what we thought we wanted, the easy gratification path, and it was a hollow and short-lived victory.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Meanwhile, being from Spain where The Force has always been 'La Fuerza' in spanish, as it has always been since time immemorial because Force in latin languages has always been feminine, I'm like...

🤷🏻‍♂️

But you do you and raise a campaign because I cannot wait to see it changed to

EL FUERZO

😆😆
They can come up with a new magic called "El Poder" to balance out the femenine the force or whatever.

Where's the lie? Everything about this show was conceived head to toe tilting at the windmill of the "wrong" kind of Star Wars fans.

Evil's a big word, but in our already heavily divided culture, stuff like this continues to take a partisan stance, Lucas originally conceived of Star Wars as this shared thing people could have in an America he already saw being divided in a lot of ways 50 years ago, you take this thing he created and then you start saying the opposite message with it?

It's at the very least asshole behavior, I'd call it Dark Side and I'd dub Kathleen Kennedy "Darth Kennedy" though lol.

Right. Disney has made people lower their standards so much that even the most middling movies receive praise.

The dialogue in those prequels cannot be defended.
Was it so much the dialog as the actors not getting proper direction from "faster, more intense" Lucas?

Yeah, you're thinking of the sand line, I know, but most of the dialog I wouldn't call too egregiously bad so much as stiltedly delivered, which isn't so much the actors fault as a lack of proper direction, this was also pretty early in the days of actors having to atc on big blue screen soundstages than sets with a guy in a costume which ya know, gives you something to react to.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I see both sides negative and positive of the acolyte, what was life like for Jedi before the republic, the jail scene in the first acolyte episode was really good and typically that’s all I need in a show like this. Narratives, and gender wars only come up on forums, social media but I don’t take those seriously.
Freaking out about wokeness in StarWars and Disney films probably accounts for at least 50% of traffic to Rotten Tomatoes and Youtube’s ad revenue at this point? Hate monetizes better than love.

Last edited:

Generic

as.png

This rumor comes from scooper WDW Pro, who detailed in a recent video upload, “According to a source that I have, Lorn, Kathleen Kennedy and Leslye Headland are going to do something in The Acolyte that is going to essentially end what remaining fans they have. And that is they are literally going to change the Force, the Force itself, into being literally female, gender female Force.”

Source 1

Source 2
Sounds like typical bullshit from the usual grifters. Bounding into comics is a joke of website. I remember when they said Reva in the Obi-Wan show would replace him and become the real protagonist. It didn't happen. They try really hard to paint K. Kennedy as an evil entity who wants to destroy all white males.

Btw the first episode of Acolyte is pretty good, it's refreshing to see a Star Wars live-action that isn't set between the movies.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Stopped caring after the DVD version of the first 3 and prequel memes. There is nothing else beyond that.
This company has ruined it so badly that it is unrecoverable at this point. It's a distant memory at best.

This is literally just digging up what remains is left, putting into an incinerator and for good measure, collecting the ashes into an urn and dropping them into a volcano, via helicopter. The only other option for them after is to add a 300 megaton nuke to the volcano.
I too love how they started this lame trend by making Vader look incompetent at his hellbent raging height, not once, but twice in Obi-Wan.
I'm glad you're posting more.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The only reason I'd like to check it out is because of the guy from Squid Games and for Carrie Ann Moss. Nah, I'll rewatch Band of Brothers instead.

Sure it can!

Not saying you're wrong here but are there any interviews/articles/making-of's confirming this?

I can only find post-release discussion from fans claiming this to be the case.

EDIT: Upon further searching, I can only find articles that actually disprove this.

Here's one from Ewan:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...or-star-wars-prequels-interview-b1839272.html

This just looks like a desperate attempt by fans to defend shoddy writing.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Not saying you're wrong here but are there any interviews/articles/making-of's confirming this?

I can only find post-release discussion from fans claiming this to be the case.

EDIT: Upon further searching, I can only find articles that actually disprove this.

Here's one from Ewan:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...or-star-wars-prequels-interview-b1839272.html

This just looks like a desperate attempt by fans to defend shoddy writing.
You’d have to read the Taschen book on the prequels.

Zathalus

The witches things has been in Star Wars since the 90s, and the Jedi being cops with a touch of CPS has been around that long as well, so nothing really new there. The force being female is dumb as hell though.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Dear Everyone_Except_Weirdos_People,

Here's how it goes trying to bait white people:

You (imagine he is of different ethnicity):

Fuck You Norse Mythology GIF by CBS

White people (I managed to make them all white, I think GIF selection at Neogaf is racist):

sam winchester yawn GIF

Tired Britney Spears GIF

Tired Sleepy GIF by New Hope Club

AJUMP23

Apparently Carrie-Anne Moss dies in the first episode. lol.

In the first 5 minutes. And it tells you that they don't understand the force. Because Jedi use the force to block projectiles by knowing where they are going to be, not by having quick reflexes. They see the future. That is why OBIWAN has Luke put on the blast helmet in ANH with the training droid. But here CAM's Jedi is tricked into stopping a projectile in one place to the killer can send a projectile at the Jedi. This completely fails to understand how Jedi use the force. Jedi stops one projectile but is also knows killer is trying to trick her because she sees the future. She can then plan for a second knife.

Top Bottom