• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 Sony Ad Leak

The Pope

tumblr_n6vbim1nTO1r0j0yso7_400.gif

Is this from Attack of the Clones?
lol

DhC2HfI.gif

Can you honestly imagine the clone troopers losing to ewoks? Nah, me either.

Isn't this from a deleted scene? Watching the Deathstar cell block part again, that doesn't seem to happen.

As for losing to ewoks, you're forgetting that they're vicious, murderous creatures that had the element of surprise, overwhelming numbers, knew the area and had a squad of Commandos backing them up.

This is what I want to see in the new game.

Preface, yes I don't like the prequels. No, it won't affect my enjoyment of the game. If you like the prequels, well congrats. Enjoy.

Second, I love the 2015 game. There are a lot of issues, but its the most fun I've had with a multiplayer game this gen. I also played the shit out of the original Star Wars: Battlefront II online on the PlayStation 2 for years. I remember every intricate detail of how that game worked and how it played.

That in mind, this is my wishlist for the new Star Wars Battlefront II.

1. Keep the gunplay mostly the same.

* Keep third-person as an option
* Keep hip-fire as the main firemode, IE no accuracy bonus for aiming down the sights
* Don't add in prone. It slows down games too much and dolphin diving is cheap
* Don't add an accuracy penalty for shooting while strafing
* Keep recoil to a minimum
* I'm okay with going to an ammo based system instead of overheating, either-or is fine
* Improve combat roll by making it a single button press and having it in five directions (left-right, forward-left/forward-right, forward)

2. Weapon Systems and Classes

* Go to a primary/secondary/gadget 1/gadget 2/grenade system
* Add classes to the game, each with customization within limits
* IE Assault can only use blaster rifles, Support can only use heavy blasters, etc Every class can have a blaster pistol as a secondary
* Do away with the Starcard system
* Tailor specific traits for each class to promote teamplay
* Make pickups like the Smart Rocket gadgets that can be unlocked for specific classes
* Have the jumppack take up both gadget slots and increase base movement speed to provide an incentive to not always use it
* Limit weapon and gadget unlocks to the first half of the rank system (IE vanilla max rank is 50, everything is unlocked by rank 25). Put cosmetics after rank 25
* No Hutt Contracts
* NO ATTACHMENTS OR WEAPON CUSTOMIZATION OF ANY KIND, beyond cosmetic

3. Maps and Gamemodes

* Limit max playercount to whatever is needed to maintain a near-perfect 60fps on consoles like the 2015 game. I don't care if its only 20v20 again.
* All maps should be playable on all modes with tweaks for smaller gamemodes
* Keep playercounts consistent. IE all large modes are 20v20 and all small are 8v8. No odd counts like 6v6 or 10v10.
* No AI bots in any online mode
* Make classic Conquest (5 to 7 flags/command posts to fight over on a map with a protected home base for each team) the default mode.
* Trim down the modes, only include the following
* Conquest, Walker Assault, Turning Point, Fighter Squadron, Drop Zone, Blast, Hero Blast (Hero Assault from SWBF2005), Cargo, Conquest Domination (replace Droid Run).
* Add an "Operations" type gamemode on all maps where it transitions from Fighter Squadron to two other modes like Battle Station.
* Maps should have less chokepoints. Something like the middle flags on Outpost Beta and Survivors of Endor in Supremacy shouldn't exist
* Starting planets should include the following
* Tatooine, Hoth, Endor, Sullust, Bespin, Yavin IV, Death Star, Scarif, Coruscant, Naboo, Utapau, Geonosis, Mygeeto, Starkiller Base, Takodana, Jakku
* All maps should be playable in all eras despite continuity issues.

4. Other

* Server Browser and Server Renting are a must for all platforms!
* Have an Official (same rules and map rotations as DICE servers), Ranked (same rules but custom map rotations), and Unranked (custom rules and map rotations) designations for player run servers
* All multiplayer maps and modes should be playable offline and in splitscreen with bots in Instant Action.
* Have a story campaign (confirmed)
* Customization should be expanded on. Keep the variety of races and ages for both genders of humans but include more alien options. No helmetless Imperial and First Order Stormtroopers or Clones! Have helmetless officer options. More color and marking options for armored soldiers.
* DLC maps should be free for everyone, charging for hero/weapon/gadget packs is fine if they are themed around the free maps that release.
* Don't add any sort of RNG lootbox microtransactions. I'd be okay with microtransactions if they were specific customization options you could buy. But cosmetic only.
* Heroes should be assigned based on some metric, not randomly picked up and once one team gets a hero the other should get one right away to balance it out. Let server hosts disable heroes on Ranked server type.
* Vehicles are empty on the map, not tokens. Drop the token system altogether. Vehicles that spawn in protected home bases can't be stolen by the enemy team.
* Stick health and ammo droids around every map and only have health regenerate if not within 20 meters of an enemy or in direct line of sight of an enemy

Thats all I can think of right now. I feel that 2015 got a lot of things right, mainly the gunplay which I find excellent and unique, but a lot of things were almost right or just wrong.

JazFiction

Neo Member
This is what I want to see in the new game.

That in mind, this is my wishlist for the new Star Wars Battlefront II.

1. Keep the gunplay mostly the same.

Just the first one and i'd be out.....

Balance, variety and longevity of BF1 gunplay made me bail first time round...

If this was the same (its a shooters core gameplay mechanic) then its just a big map expansion with extra mode and characters.

I'm hoping they change the actual game.

If this was the same (its a shooters core gameplay mechanic) then its just a big map expansion with extra mode and characters.

The gunplay is one of the only parts of the game my family likes :( i dont think any of us would play if it had things like bloom or ads accuracy or penalties for hip-fire or anything more modern really

My biggest wish is that they treat vehicles and heroes more like the old games. I would prefer classes to custom loadouts but I don't see them going back unfortunately. Though for the droid army you'll probably have to pick specific types?

The gunplay is one of the only parts of the game my family likes :( i dont think any of us would play if it had things like bloom or ads accuracy or penalties for hip-fire or anything more modern really
This and

This aren't the same. Balance and variety aren't tied to basic mechanics like no ADS bonus or low recoil.

I thought no one liked the prequels but you guys seem excited about this. I just hope the game is more like battlefield 1 MP rather than battlefront

Setting is the best aspect of the prequels. It actually feels like a galactic society (which is only further highlighted with the Clone Wars show).

On a basic gunplay level it was fairly close to the original games already.

True, but virtually everything else was lacking in comparison.

Yeah I do not want them to add an accuracy bonus for ADS, that's so PS360 and slows down movement so much. Hip fire + no penalty to accuracy when moving 👌

Also keep third person pls.

Tapejara

If you're surprised people are excited for Prequel content: please watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The movie itself is kind of dull, but the show is amazing and some of the best Star Wars media out there. It introduces some great characters, can get quite dark, and features some amazing battles that I've been dying to see recreated in a game like Battlefront.

And it's fine if you gave the show a chance and still aren't sold on the Prequel era, but hopefully by watching it you'll see why many of us want that era included in the final game.

This and

This aren't the same. Balance and variety aren't tied to basic mechanics like no ADS bonus or low recoil.

He highlighted your point 1, so I thought he was disagreeing with the subpoints beneath it as well. They do need more balance and variety, but I also agree with the basic gunplay elements layed out under your first point.

Yeah I do not want them to add an accuracy bonus for ADS, that's so PS360 and slows down movement so much. Hip fire + no penalty to accuracy when moving 👌

Also keep third person pls.
It's a unique gameplay style. We haven't really had a big game with that type of gunplay since maybe Warhawk on the PS3. Shooters tend to just fit the COD/BF mold.

MorshuTheTrader

Neo Member
Every mode being playable on every map is a MUST. This pretty much killed the game for me since I'm a person that only plays 1-2 modes so the map variety was really poor. Combined with the fact that DLC was technically a separate "mode" made me quit.

prag16

Banned
It's a unique gameplay style. We haven't really had a big game with that type of gunplay since maybe Warhawk on the PS3. Shooters tend to just fit the COD/BF mold.

This is a big thing for me. The gameplay was just fun. People cried about "depth" or something. No, don't touch the core mechanics. They're great. On a trailer analysis video I saw the other day on one of the major sites they were pounding the table for taking more cues from Battlefield 1 than Battlefront 2015 on this, in terms of "gameplay" specifically. MichaelScottNo.gif I was pleasantly surprised that the first Battlefront was NOT just a Battlefield 4 reskin. I don't want a Battlefield 1 reskin now.

Overall, looks encouraging. Campaign could be promising, and including all eras is a win. One thing about the first game was that while the heroes were cool to play as like once or twice, I just didn't care that much about the heroes ultimately And I want to care. I want to see more before I determine my hype level, but who am I kidding, this will be a day one blind buy for me.

* Vehicles are empty on the map, not tokens. Drop the token system altogether. Vehicles that spawn in protected home bases can't be stolen by the enemy team.

This is my most missed feature from the original Battlefronts. I'd also add that tying up the AT-ATs should be manual skill-based and not a mini-game. I miss hopping into a Snowspeeder with a buddy and flying out to the AT-ATs, trying to fly around them while my buddy tries to spear the legs all while dodging gun fire and not crashing into the AT-AT.

And yeah... keep gunplay the same. I tried the beta of Battlefield 1 and didn't love it. I like that there are 2 types of games, so if you don't like Battlefield, you may like Battlefront or vice versa. Making them both identical is unfair, because then the fans of Battlefield get 2 games and fans of Battlefront get none.

MilkyJoe

Things to add

Bots on all multiplayer maps and modes.
Fix aim down scope when playing with hud off - there is no scope currently.
Minimal hud option that still points to the objective.

Quite a big concern for me is weapon variety. If they do something like allow every weapon to be used in every era, that'll kind of ruin it for me. It would take away some of the uniqueness for the different eras and just make no sense.

Quite a big concern for me is weapon variety. If they do something like allow every weapon to be used in every era, that'll kind of ruin it for me. It would take away some of the uniqueness for the different eras and just make no sense.
They could be reserve limited. Clone Wars overall gets the lowest number of weapons. Eventually you could unlock CW weapons to use in the GCW and then unlock CW and GCW to use in the FORC.

They could handle it like the old games but with a little more freedom. Classes can have a specific pool of era-friendly weapons to choose from.

Ennosuke

Yes I need the PT stuff in my life. The world building was great in those movies and are perfect for video games. Clone Troopers are awesome.

Really having high hopes for this game and I hope it does not end as the first one.

Thinking about it earlier in regards to the Era included, they could probably set the DLC up pretty well.
Base
Prequel - Naboo, Geonosis, Coruscant, Utapau
-Obi-Wan, Yoda, Mace, Padme, Anakin(L) vs Maul, Dooku, Grievous, Anakin(D), Palpatine

OT - Yavin 4, Endor, Hoth, Could City, Tatooine
-Han(Y), Luke(Y), Leia vs Boba, Vader, Palpatine(*)

Sequel - Starkiller, Jaku, Takadona
-Rey, Fin, Han(O) vs Kylo, Hux, Phasma

Original - Sullast, etc
-campaign characters?(just an idea)

Expansion
Prequel: Clone Wars - Felucia, Kamino, etc.
-Rex, Ahsoka vs Ventress, Cad Bane(?)

OT: Rebels - Lothal, Concord Dawn, etc
-Sabine, Ezra vs Thrawn, an Inquisitor(or Kallus)

Sequel : Last Jedi - TBD
-Luke(O), Poe vs Snoke(?)

Expansion characters can be used in their corresponding era maps.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Although this is next to impossible to happen i would like the Season Pass exclusive features to be restricted to weapons/heroes/emotes. Maps and game modes would be timely exclusive but eventually anyone could play it.

sjay1994

I thought no one liked the prequels but you guys seem excited about this. I just hope the game is more like battlefield 1 MP rather than battlefront

The prequel era is the best era for a Star Wars game like Battlefront and that is a fact. Love or hate the movies that era has unmatched diversity in characters, weapons and locations.

^ Nailed it.

The prequels have far more interesting settings and tools for a video game than the OT era.

That's Episode 3, on Utapau, not the cartoon.
The clones are all CG, so it's easy to control everything and make it look perfect, as you could in a cartoon. The more realistic movement of the stormtroopers arguably make the action more grounded and tactile, though there are downsides to putting people in stormtroopers costumes, obviously.

Did no one ever play the original Battlefront games? The Clone Wars stuff was fun. How can you not be excited for more varied content?

Clearly you've never worn a Stormtrooper helmet.

You know one is a (cherry picked) practical effect and the other is a cartoon? Right?

The clones are all CG, so it's easy to control everything and make it look perfect, as you could in a cartoon. The more realistic movement of the stormtroopers arguably make the action more grounded and tactile, though there are downsides to putting people in stormtroopers costumes, obviously.

lol c'mon guys.

Can we get some classic Battlefront lines in this

"SUPER BATTLE DROIDS! TAKE 'EM DOWN!"
"WATCH THOSE WRIST ROCKETS"
"THE ENEMIES HAVE TAKEN A COMMAND POST. TAKE IT BACK."
"OUR FORCES ARE DWINDLING"

WillyFive

Although DICE infamously got the voices for major characters extremely wrong for their game; I really liked the voices the random soldiers said, even if they were rarely heard.

One of my favorites happens when a soldier in your team survives a grenade explosion and they are nearby another teammate:

"YOU'RE ALIVE!"

Slixshot

Banned
Total side note but hoping someone is still playing the OG battlefront. Is there double xp going on with celebration right now?

Character customization better at least be on the level of 1's with all expansions(flightsuits, uniforms, etc)
If the class system isn't back as many have requested.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Just please don't give me that Steve Blum "I can't shake--oh, nevermind!"

That line looped so many times during skirmishes back then that I wanted to toss something.

Did no one ever play the original Battlefront games? The Clone Wars stuff was fun. How can you not be excited for more varied content?
The Clone Wars stuff was an unbalanced mess in the old games. Wrist rockets and trishot made the SBD OP and the magnaguard totally outclassed the Clone Commander. Not to mention how easy it was to glitch into walls with the droideka. Clone Wars was a multiplayer nightmare.

Eggbok

Few thoughts after rewatching the trailer:
- First Order means First Order Stormtroopers (yay)
- Multiple saber users (Hopefully that means a mode similar to Hero Assault, especially since we see Yoda vs Maul)
- Maul and Yoda come from an era of skilled saber usage will their styles be reflective of that in gameplay? Compared to Vader and Luke in the first game where it was slower.
- Space battles (Maybe they have improved the space/flying combat)
- The Clone Wars is in this so will there be different types of Clone and Droid armor or even classes
- Will the story only be post RotJ?
- Will the multiplayer count be higher!?
- Since Tauntauns are a form of transportation now does that mean there won't be vehicle tokens?
- Are they flying through the destroyed Death Star II before going into hyperspace!?
- Will the different character types from different eras be playable on all maps or is it map based!? Like will there be Clone Troopers fighting against Rey or?

Top Bottom