• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront - All 9 launch MP modes detailed

I Wish we had more detail on those single player modes. We know what the wave-based one will be like based on the Beta. But what about those other three? How extensive are they? How long to complete? Approx. 5 hours of content might be enough to scratch that single player itch.

v1lla21

Droid Run, Blast, and Drop Zone are where I'm going to be spending most of my time.

Idk if y'all tried out the survival mode in the beta but it kept track of who finished the fastest either solo or co-op. It also rewarded you stars depending on what difficulty you finished and whether you had a clean run. Survival is going to be a lot of fun.

majik13

FWIW saw some concept art on the Battlefront PS4 preview area of Jakku that had Walkers behind a crashed Star Destroyer.

cool yeah with my edit, I am under the assumption the jakku maps will be added to existing game modes like WA, etc, and not be its own special side thing

bombshell

So this Droid Run shot is without a doubt a bullshot, but that sand is looking good.

rendition1.img.jpg

Also a Cargo shot.

todahawk

cool yeah with me edit, I am under the assumption the jakku maps will be added to existing game modes like WA, etc, and not be its own special side thing

I really do hope it looks like that. It would be awesome to play around a crashed Star Destroyer.

So this Droid Run shot is without a doubt a bullshot, but that sand is looking good.

Also a Cargo shot.

I'm swooning. I'm pretty damn sure that's Boba's EE-3 carbine rifle in the top pic.

Perhaps I've missed it, but do we have a direct source of confirmation on the 12 map count?

Because based on this, there are 4 maps specifically tailored for Blast alone:

I was looking for the page where I read the description for the Blast mode so I could link it for you but I couldn't find it. The official website doesn't do a great job of relaying all the info one would like to read I'm afraid.

Anyway here it is. Specifically, this part:

Does that mean that the other 8 game modes share just 8 maps? Something doesn't seem to be adding up here.

Edit: It seems that DICE did confirm that it will have 12 maps back in May.

Of the 12 multiplayer maps in Star Wars Battlefront (there are even more locations when you include the Star Wars Battlefront Missions), some feel immediately familiar — such as the lush forests of Endor or the tundra of Hoth. Some of the maps support our epic modes like Walker Assault, while others are tailored to more intimate, close quarters combat. Our goal is to bring a variety of battle fantasies to life, with map design catering to the modes that will play out on those maps. Above all, we want you to create new memories of your own in new places you've never seen before.
http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/creating-the-planet-sullust-for-star-wars-battlefront

It will be interesting to see how DICE will manage to balance so many different modes on the same maps.

bombshell

I haven't been paying attention - does this game have a campaign mode or is it more like Titanfall?

Titanfall was "campaign" in the MP, right?

Battlefront doesn't have a SP campaign, but it does have Missions for singleplayer/2P co-op. You can see the Missions modes detailed in the bottom of the OP.

majik13

Perhaps I've missed it, but do we have a direct source of confirmation on the 12 map count?

Because based on this, there are 4 maps specifically tailored for Blast alone:

Does that mean that the other 8 game modes share just 8 maps? Something doesn't seem to be adding up here.

yeah pretty sure it will break down like this. There will be 4 large sized maps. 1 on each planet. and 4 Small sized maps, again 1 on each planet. You will likely only have 4 maps playable for each mode. 1 on each planet. depending if it is a large or small type game mode.
And based on what some others are saying 4 different maps for just missions. I am hoping this is wrong, and we actually get 4 mid sized maps. Either way these 3 groups of 4, make up the 12 total maps.

I see Jawas so that's cool
nice eye, wonder how that works...

yeah pretty sure it will break down like this. There will be 4 large sized maps. 1 on each planet. and 4 Small sized maps, again 1 on each planet. You will likely only have 4 maps playable for each mode. 1 on each planet. depending if it is a large or small type game mode.
And based on what some others are saying 4 different maps for just missions. I am hoping this is wrong, and we actually get 4 mid sized maps. Either way these 3 groups of 4, make up the 12 total maps.

Yeah that's logical. And I'm guessing when they say "maps," perhaps they will be fundamentally the same but with some minor alterations depending on the mode. I guess we will find out in 35 days time.

Edit: According to their blog, the survival maps are not included in the 12 map count. So hopefully we will get our 4 medium sized maps after all.

majik13

Yeah that's logical. And I'm guessing when they say "maps," perhaps they will be fundamentally the same but with some minor alterations depending on the mode. I guess we will find out in 35 days time.

Considering what they said when Blast was unveiled. They specifically said that the Hoth map of Blast is different than the WA map. Different location, time of day, weather, etc. Its a different map, but using the same Hoth assets. So I am guessing this will be the case with each planet. 1 large and 1 Small. But I am sure we will see some small tweaks here and there between the modes that share a map. Like WA Hoth map will be slightly tweaked for the Supremacy mode Hoth map. Differnt boundaries, maybe some assets moved around, etc.

Edit: According to their blog, the survival maps are not included in the 12 map count. So hopefully we will get our 4 medium sized maps after all.
ah nice.

Gurish

PS4 beta was wonderful technically on all fronts, including match-making, always found a game instantly for me, faster than any other game I remember, I'm pretty optimistic about the full game.

elyetis

I hope there is a decent number of -good- maps for 20v20 conquest ( Supremacy ).
I still hope Rush/walker will be fun, but the beta already showed how bad things like spawn camping can be a problem, and well Dice being Dice I can easily see it staying that way.

I can see myself spending most of my time in

Hero Hunt ( sounds incredible )
Fighter Squadron
Cargo
Walker Assault
Heroes vs. Villians
Blast

nice eye, wonder how that works...
This would be terrible. I like playing larger battles, I don't care about small map modes or close quarter combat. If this is true, there would only be 4 maps for large scale.

That's horrible. BF4 had 10 maps at launch for conquest, and I consider that the minimum acceptable number of maps. If Battlefront has less than half, I think I won't be able to justify purchasing it at full price.

I hope you are wrong.

This would be terrible. I like playing larger battles, I don't care about small map modes or close quarter combat. If this is true, there would only be 4 maps for large scale.

That's horrible. BF4 had 10 maps at launch for conquest, and I consider that the minimum acceptable number of maps. If Battlefront has less than half, I think I won't be able to justify purchasing it at full price.

I hope you are wrong.

Yeah, and I'm the opposite. I like the smaller scale/close combat. Don't like the larger scale stuff.

Dmax3901

Not enough detail to be honest. I need more to convince me to buy. I'm waiting for an overview trailer that shows off stuff we haven't seen.

Yeah, and I'm the opposite. I like the smaller scale/close combat. Don't like the larger scale stuff.

Ditto. I think this game works better small scale.

Honestly the map count is kinda pathetic considering there is no SP. 12 maps is all they could come up with? I am fine with the game being MP only but at least put that effort towards the MP. Make more of it than you otherwise would have done.

papo

I want all modes to be like Walker assault which I guess it this game's rush mode, which was the one I actually liked in the beta. Doesn't really look like the old games that I remember, but it's been so long who knows.

It dosen't matter. If there are 4 big maps and 4 smaller ones we are both screwed. I expected the game to have big and small variants for each map as in Battlefield. I will wait for confirmation. But if this is confirmed, there is no way I'm paying full price for just 4 maps.

It dosen't matter. If there are 4 big maps and 4 smaller ones we are both screwed. I expected the game to have big and small variants for each map as in Battlefield. I will wait for confirmation. But if this is confirmed, there is no way I'm paying full price for just 4 maps.

Exactly. I'm not disagreeing. The map total is definitely not great for either the small scale or large scale battles.

Thing is though, small gametypes get screwed if that happens. If you dont design a map for a specific gametype it usually plays terrible on it. Anything but Conquest on most BF4 maps is terrible. Most of them dont work well for Rush or TDM or anything else really. And same would happen for SWBF, only here Smaller gametypes are actually legit gametypes rather than offshoots like BF.

Really the obvious solution would have been to ship it with more maps. 12 is not really acceptable, not when they are saving all those resources from not doing SP. 8 apiece for big and small would have been ok. With 2-4 doing double duty. Total of around 20.

Ardvent

One of these things is not like the others.
Which one is different,
Do you know?
Can you tell which thing is not like the others?
I'll tell you if it is so.

From the beta files the heroes are:
  • Luke Skywalker
  • Darth Vader
  • Han Solo
  • Boba Fett
  • Princess Leia
  • Emperor Palpatine

All from the character.sb file.

Not to mention all of these game modes and descriptions were also in the beta files.

smisk

Really enjoyed Walker Assault in the beta, and supremacy sounds awesome as well. Drop Pod was fun for a little bit, but to me Battlefront is really about huge maps and vehicles.

I'm pretty torn on whether or not to get this.. I had a lot of fun with the beta and the game looks and sounds gorgeous.. But I don't really want to support a developer shipping a full priced game with such limited content and a $50 season pass. Maybe I'll wait for a sale.

I don't think each mode (size, whatever) will only have 4 maps.

4 locations or planets yes, but I really doubt they'd be silly enough to not have at least 3 different variations of walker assault on Hoth. The one we played, a different layout while it's snowing, and another one at night or something, again, different layout.

If it's really just 4 then the game should not be selling at full price and people shouldn't be buying it at full price.

Wil348

I am actually extremely interested to find out what Battles is exactly. If it's survival without waves, and with vehicles/heroes, then that's a huge chunk of my purchase already justified. Split screen/online partner too.

bounchfx

12 maps seems kind of.......light? I mean Halo 5 is launching with over 20 maps plus a campaign.

wait only 12 maps for 9 modes? that's unfortunate. that means many of the modes are only going to have one map each, damn. unless they can reuse maps for multiple modes

A lot of these modes focusing on heroes and vehicles sound like "Here, play this so you'll know WTF you're doing if you get the relevant power-up in the 'real' battles." But I'm excited about Squadron, as long as it has a good variety of vehicles. The other modes sound like a good mix of capture the flag, deathmatch, and conquest so no complaints there, even if I'm still on the fence about the price + season pass.

Top Bottom