• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Fans Denounce 'Excessive' Pricing of Paid Mods - Bethesda's third attempt to monetise fan made mods, review bombing on Steam has commenced

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Something tells me that people wouldn’t be so harsh if Starfield wasn’t so freaking barebones and light on content on release. In this context Bethesda asking for more money for a simple quest line is looking simply tone-deaf. Especially since games like Cyberpunk, No Man’s Sky and Baldur’s Gate 3 are all offering ridiculous amounts of content for free even before mods.

I don’t get why Bethesda is trying to extinguish fire with gasoline but it’s their right, I guess.

Last edited:
Paid or unpaid I have lost all interest in this game.

I'm just going to give it time. The free mods are coming and the quality will shoot up as people become comfortable with the tools.
I don't know. The problem with the game seems to be fundamental to how it's designed. Everything is through a loading screening. The randomization of planets just sucks. Not sure how you can get around that. I know in Skyrim has a mod where people put the city into the overworld cell to rid the loading screen but it made the game unstable, and the scale of this is way bigger.

Don't worry guys, they'll all be free in the anniversary edition, when it releases 2033.

skyrim_anniversary_edition_cover_1.jpg

JayK47

Looks like I have 1100 Bethesda bucks. Loading up Creations, I can see some paid content and some free content, such as community patch. Pretty sure, like past Creations, it in no way prevents you from getting mods elsewhere. It is a way for people who are too lazy or dumb to get mods for free or paying for it. Of all the things wrong with Bethesda games, I am not sure why this is one of them. If they added Creations to the past 2 games, you had to see it coming for Starfield.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Wat.. So despite the previous outcome they actually went with this again.. holy shit, that's funny and concerning at the same time. So who's the "mastermind" behind this decision then..

TransTrender

Gold Member
They stilll have free user mods, right?
Same as before with the other two titles in the op.
No need to pay for lesser quality stuff when the free stuff is still better.

consoul

What's the split for verified creators?
I know they get 'royalties', but what percentage of the cost does Bethesda keep when you buy a mod?

I tried looking it up, but it looks like Bethesda have NDA'd it in the verified creator program.

If the mod creators are getting a good deal and not just being exploited, then I'm OK with this.

StereoVsn

Stupid fucks. They are trying to nickel and dime whatever user base they still have left. And they will keep making pikachu face when their player numbers keep dropping.

It’s a small company after all. How could poor Phil, Sarah and their band of bandits keep surviving otherwise. Wait, GamePass! No idea how it’s possibly related but clearly that has to be the answer. /s

ryzen1

My god Bethesda. They tried it before. Failed super hard. Now they do it again..
This studio went from top tier to absolute trash.

Last edited:

NeoLed

If the free mod still available, I can't agree with the review bombing. The creator/modder want to get paid for their works. People should respect that. If you don't feel the price is right, no need to buy it or just find the free version. Sometime I think the mod users just see modders as their free workers

Base game/vanilla bugs is another discussion.

Last edited:

Fredrik

So this thread is full of people that don’t know what they’re talking about. Makes sense.
Don’t even begin to defend this. There is nothing good coming from that.

Use the free mods, ignore the rest.

If we’re lucky this will be a short-lived thing with only trace of it’s existence being some Wikipedia history post.

At this point, with creation kit out, things could improve. I’m hoping we’ll get some Skyrim-level high quality mods now that creation kit is out and some barriers are gone.
Hoping for some good face and body morph mods, the population in the current universe is so boring from an eye-candy perspective that it could trigger a depression. There are a few ”Shapely” mods on Nexus that adds thicker and slim variations but they’re limited to specific clothes. The whole populations needs an overhaul.

RickSanchez

So this is going to be a thing now huh...

Just review bomb anything and everything that upsets you

How else do we send a message to these mega corporations ? You think they're bothered about a few threads on reddit, twitter or GAF ? Also there's a right and wrong way to do review bombing. Leaving a negative review on the offending game with details on what you dont like and why its a bad practice is fine by me. Review bombing Bethesda's other titles is wrong, because that simply hurts a different game which is not part of the controversy.

Zathalus

Isn't this the same thing you find with Fallout 4 and Skyrim already? Both of those have some paid mods from Bethesda and a handful of creators, with the rest being regular free mods. Is Starfield doing anything different with how it handles the creation club?

Dazraell

Gold Member
Isn't this the same thing you find with Fallout 4 and Skyrim already? Both of those have some paid mods from Bethesda and a handful of creators, with the rest being regular free mods. Is Starfield doing anything different with how it handles the creation club?
From the look of it, this gives very similar vibes to creations from Skyrim and Fallout 4 and them being overpriced mods with very little of value

RickSanchez

Yes, it is the same thing they did in Skyrim and Fallout.

No, that doesn't mean we should let our objections go unheard. If anything, it is even more important to call out such bad practices now, because Bethesda thinks they will get away with it.

Top Bottom