• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State House Trust votes to remove Taney statue in Annapolis, Maryland

KSweeley

A statue of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Roger B. Taney (known for authoring the Dredd Scott decision that upheld slavery and stated blacks could not become U.S. Citizens) that's on the grounds of the Maryland State House in Annapolis, Maryland is one step closer to being removed: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-taney-state-house-vote-20170816-story.html

A key panel voted Wednesday to remove a statue of Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney from the grounds of the State House in Annapolis.

In a vote taken by e-mail, three members of the four-member State House Trust voted in favor of removing the statue of Taney, who was the author of the infamous Dred Scott decision that upheld slavery and said black Americans could not become citizens.

Voting in favor of removing the statue were Lt. Gov. Boyd Rutherford, House of Delegates Speaker Michael E. Busch and Charles L. Edson, who represents the Maryland Historical Trust.

It was not immediately clear how the fourth member, Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller, voted. Miller has said he does not support removing the statue, but that he would not try to block its removal.

The State House Trust oversees the State House and the grounds around it.

It remains unknown when the Taney statue would be moved from its perch overlooking the front lawn of the State House, or what would happen to the statue.

The state’s Department of Legislative Services estimated last year that it would cost $77,000 to remove the statue and another $5,000 per year to store it.

Kensation

giphy.gif

The state’s Department of Legislative Services estimated last year that it would cost $77,000 to remove the statue and another $5,000 per year to store it.
I'm sure there would be volunteers who'd do it for free. And if you just blew it up, you wouldn't have to store it.

Haha Nazis piss and moan about one maybe coming down and everywhere else is like hold my beer we taking em all down. Life comes at you fast huh

the author of the infamous Dred Scott decision that upheld slavery and said black Americans could not become citizens

Good. There never should have been a monument to someone like this in the first place.

Love that Trump put his stake in the ground in defense of these racist monuments, further spurring their removal.

I know mods are in a consolidation locking frenzy (understandably) but please consider leaving these threads open as separate statues are destroyed. Each removal is a triumph that should be celebrated and known individually. It's rare society has so many victories in short succession.

ZeroDivide

Unconfirmed Member
I've only briefly visited the South, so I don't really know the area, but it's amazing and appalling to me that these monuments and statues exist... especially one that upheld such a horrible decision.

Good on Annapolis, hopefully other states and cities will continue the wave of removing these absurd relics.

Koomaster

Jesus! There was a Taney statue? Fuck, are there more?! Reading about who is being memorialized in these statues, why have they been up so long? A Taney statue, really? My mind is blown. Tear these things down, there is no wrong way.

Oriel

Haha Nazis piss and moan about one maybe coming down and everywhere else is like hold my beer we taking em all down. Life comes at you fast huh

They marched to protect one statue and now loads are being toppled. It's reminiscent of Ukraine in 2014 toppling Soviet era monuments.

Just a shame it took the death of an anti-Nazi activist to finally see movement on this.

KSweeley

Taneytown, Maryland isn't named after Roger B. Taney but after a common ancestor of his:http://www.taneytown.org/residents/taneytowns_history/index.php

The early European settlers were Germans from Pennsylvania and Germany. Taneytown was founded in 1754 when one of the area’s first land grants took place. Nearly 7,900 acres were granted to Edward Diggs and Raphael Taney under a patent designated as the Resurvey of Brothers Agreement. Lots were laid out and the first deeds registered in 1762. Raphael Taney, whose home was in St. Mary’s County, probably never lived here. He did, however, help design the town’s layout and gave it his name. One popular misconception is that the town was named for Roger Brooke Taney, a U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice. Judge Taney, who shared a common ancestor with Raphael Taney, was not born until 1777.

hoos30

I'm actually surprised that Hogan's calling for its removal, especially since I remember those "political correctness" comments this article quotes.

Hogan is a lot of things but he is no dummy. He sees where the wind is shifting. He's gotta hit an inside straight to get re-elected, so he pays attention to details.

PS: It is despicable that Taney ever had a statue to begin with.

FyreWulff

I'm actually surprised that Hogan's calling for its removal, especially since I remember those "political correctness" comments this article quotes.

tbh nobody should ever even try to protect Taney. Even the modern Supreme Court's been 'yeah the Dredd Scott decision was absolute ass'

Cipherr

Wheres that thread asking if the Nazis were winning thanks to the response to their event?

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Nope. Nothing has removed these POS statues faster than these morons.

Top Bottom