• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

They could move for a standardized trigger, kinda like for achievements once the game is beaten. But then there's the question of how do you handle games that can't be "beaten".
And there's still the fact that people can pass around save files or use other means to circumvent the work but gain the achievements. Sad to say, but no system using achievement-based progression will ever be honest.

I was wondering why my Steam level went from 12 to 14. Ha ha.

Also, really sad at how much the Super Meat Boy cards are going for, ATM.

Serious Sam 3 cards are going for 32c smh. I get that people will viciously undercut prices (I do too) but come on...

Anyway, didn't see this one posted yet.

ptydLkR.jpg

You may address me as the Director henceforth.

Grief.exe

They could move for a standardized trigger, kinda like for achievements once the game is beaten. But then there's the question of how do you handle games that can't be "beaten".

And there's still the fact that people can pass around save files or use other means to circumvent the work but gain the achievements. Sad to say, but no system using achievement-based progression will ever be honest.

GFWL is a great example of this.

There is all kind of save game encryption, DRM, and other nonsense all designed to protect achievements scores.

And even after all of those checks, GFWL achievements are still easily exploitable.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Booster packs + people's idiocy is already ruining prices. "Hm, the cheapest right now is 1,79€, let's try 0,80. Oh, someone undercut me, 0,75!"

For a couple of days there were just two Strike Suit foils: mine and some other bloke's. He kept undercutting me even though he had every incentive to simply price his identically to mine. It was ridiculous.

derExperte

For a couple of days there were just two Strike Suit foils: mine and some other bloke's. He kept undercutting me even though he had every incentive to simply price his identically to mine. It was ridiculous.

You should have bought his and built a foil monopoly.

Has it ever been 100% confirmed that Steam works indefinitely in offline mode? I remember seeing some "2 week limit" stuff a little while ago.

Maybe we wanted you to put your card cheaper so when someone bought yours he would have a complete monopoly. Then he could put his at a superhigh price.

JaseC

Maybe we wanted you to put your card cheaper so when someone bought yours he would have a complete monopoly. Then he could put his at a superhigh price.

Haha, well, the market for this particular foil has crashed to ~$9, something his antics simply expedited.

Has it ever been 100% confirmed that Steam works indefinitely in offline mode? I remember seeing some "2 week limit" stuff a little while ago.

If you put Steam into Offline Mode, exit, and bump your Windows clock forward two weeks, it'll say there's no log-in info. Seeing as we have GAFers saying they've used OM for several weeks or even months without needing to log in again, I'm thinking it's a bug, probably brought about by the move to SteamPipe (previously, log-in info was saved to winui.gcf), and I've put Steam into OM on my laptop to see if the error also pops up after two weeks despite continued use.

Wiktor

So, Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition camed out on Steam. Exact same game as on mobile, with microtransactions and stuff, but somehow costs 4 times more. Ugh, screw you Paradox..no way I'm buying that untill some 80% off sale.

Storm360

Haha, well, the market for this particular has crashed to ~$9, something his antics simply expedited.

If you put Steam into Offline Mode and bump your Windows clock forward two weeks, it'll say there's no log-in info. Seeing as we have GAFers saying they've used OM for several weeks or even months without needing to log in again, I'm thinking it's a bug, probably brought about by the move to SteamPipe (previously, log-in info was saved to winui.gcf), and I've put Steam into OM on my laptop to see if the error also pops up after two weeks despite continued use.

This is a odd glitch, my laptop said it before, but booted into offline mode today

DTKT

Wait so, how do Booster packs actually work?

Is it :

- You have collected all the cards for a game?
- You have collected all the cards for a game + crafted a badge?
- You have received all your drops for a game and haven't finished a set?
- You have received all your cards for a game and sold all your cards?

JaseC

Holy smokes. O_O That's pretty much the entire steam library.

Pretty much. There are a little over 2000 games on Steam at the moment and a good few dozen have been pulled over the years.

I should probably "play" the F2P games I've bought DLC for so they show up in my game count. It's only fair (unless Valve fixed that, too).

Wait so, how do Booster packs actually work?

Is it :

- You have collected all the cards for a game?
- You have collected all the cards for a game + crafted a badge?
- You have received all your drops for a game and haven't finished a set?
- You have received all your cards for a game and sold all your cards?

Option 2. If you've crafted a badge from a set, you'll occasionally get random booster packs.

Grief.exe

If he posted where he found them and we could verify, I would make a thread.

I've been looking through the files and can't seem to find it.

EDIT: I wasn't in the latest beta.

Turfster

Booster packs + people's idiocy is already ruining prices. "Hm, the cheapest right now is 1,79€, let's try 0,80. Oh, someone undercut me, 0,75!"
Yep, same way the cards get fucked to hell.
If everyone picked a reasonable price and stuck to it, guess what, everyone would make more money, but no, let's all undercut each other until cards are worth a rotten cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom