• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Announces Family Sharing

Atilac

Can I be online at the same time as the person I share my library with? And they will still be able to play my games I currently am not playing?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
GNU7Ita.png

Captures how I feel right now.

PC gets what I wanted on Console.
Oh buddy...

kaioshade

To all the leeches in this thread: I suspect that anyone you know with a large number of games is instantly going to get bombarded with sharing requests, and it's going to make them resent those people and also feel like they're only being talked to because they have cool toys. Unless you want to alienate people, don't ask them to share their library with you.

The moment this was announced i got quite a few texts from friends lol.

Can I be online at the same time as the person I share my library with? And they will still be able to play my games I currently am not playing?

Only one person can play something from the library at at time. If you start playing something, the borrower is told to save and quit. Even if you're playing different games.

I want to get this out of the way up front -- I honestly have no ax to grind against Microsoft. And in many of these threads, I feel that the forum can be unnecessarily harsh in regards to any piece of Microsoft news. But I was always kind of baffled at the people that praised Microsoft's Family Share plan to the extent that they feel that the detractors ruined this awesome piece of functionality for them. They were getting credit for something they never actually did.

And that's all I'm getting at here. It just seems bizarre to compare Steam's implementation to some vaporware proposal that Microsoft has abandoned for now. Maybe Microsoft's plan was so awesome that it would have cured cancer and unquestionably have been the greatest thing that's ever happened. But ultimately, who cares? For now, they're not doing it. Stating "Steam's thing isn't as awesome as that idea Microsoft abandoned" strikes me as a rather bizarre criticism of Steam's implementation.

I hear you and honestly I don't look at the MS plan as anything but vapor either. I thought it was interesting to discuss just within the context of the fact that most people doubted publishers would ever agree to it, even though MS said they had agreements with publishers already in place. Initially it looked like the Steam plan might lend some credence to the idea that publishers actually would agree to something like the MS plan.

Upon further examination though, with the Steam plan only allowing one user in the library at a time I don't see publishers having anywhere near as much to lose as with the Microsoft plan. So I go back to my theory that the MS plan, if real, was only viable because they were effectively castrating the used game industry, and the plan as originally described has little chance of being brought back.

Helmholtz

Different saves (on steam cloud) and steam achievements. That's pretty much it. I really don't know why everyone is so excited. I've been doing this for years with my wife. Now it'll just be slightly easier.
Yeah... I mean I guess it's a nice convenience feature for those who share accounts regularly.

They just upped the number. Plus, 2 machines can be used at once with Sony's plan.

I'm not trying to compare, just saying this isn't anything new and what Valve is proposing isn't interesting enough.

Unless it was reversed and I missed it, PSN content purchased prior to November 18, 2011 still allows for up to five different devices.

Cels

I've been logging into steam on different friends' computers for years now with the intention of letting them play my steam games whenever I'm not playing them.

I guess the cool thing about this is that your friends will now get to use their own set of saves/achievements, and won't have to kick you off steam if they want to play something on your account, but other than that, what's so special about this?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
"Dude, this game is awesome, you should get it!"

"Bah, I'm not convinced, and it's expensive."

"Here, try it out."

*SHARE*

Goon Boon

Banned
Valve does it and its amazing. Microsoft try's to do it.... Pitchforks and 180's

Because Valve actually did it, while Microsoft's was both cancelled and heavily rumored as being an hour trial by Cboat (I'll trust Cboat over Major Nelson and the mouthpiece of the week at MS).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
why would they do that? It's called family sharing. It's not meant to be abused by moochers who want the same experience as other gamers, without having to pay the money to do so.

You know there's times when people say gamers are entitled, and everyone gets outraged but this is the perfect example of that.

You people are asking them to basically let up to 9 people play games for free. Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?

I am sorry I want this to work the way lending physical games work.

That's fair that we'll never know what Microsoft's complete details were, but what strikes me odd in all this is how similar plans are met with different reaction. One is praised, the other is pissed on. Neither are out right now. Everyone is going based on the basic info we have. Sure part of it is in the messaging, and Microsoft was definitely doing some shady shit, but when you compare the same comparable feature, the reaction is different when the concepts are pretty similar. So for me, it's not about what would have been, it's about how the reaction is different for similar announced functionality.

I don't think that anyone was actually overtly critical of the idea of Microsoft's Family Share plan, though some were skeptical about how it would work (for good reason if you ask me as it was never clearly fleshed out). I think many actually regarded Family Share as a decent olive branch in the endeavor to sell the all digital future, but that in and of itself wasn't enough to overcome the overwhelming negativity concerning DRM on the Xbox One.

But that shouldn't be confused with negativity for Family Sharing itself. I think many argued that they should continue down that route at least with games purchased digitally.

Raist

Banned
That's the only difference you see? Steam plan is one user in the library at a time. Nowhere near as useful as what MS proposed.

And when exactly did Microsoft say, back then, than the 10 people sharing one library would be allowed to play one game at the same time?

The Cowboy

Valve does it and its amazing. Microsoft try's to do it.... Pitchforks and 180's

Funny thing is, the version Valve is doing (so far) isn't anywhere as good as what MS was going to do.

All Valve have done is make it so its just like console game sharing now but worse, in that on 360/PS3 etc a family member/friend can play any disk based game on their console, and digital game can be played on the same console over numerous accounts - except in Valves case not only would you have to give a family member/friend the disk for the game you'd have to give them every game you own.

marrec

Banned
I am sorry I want this to work the way lending physical games work.

Then Steam should make it to where you have to print out a physical code, and take that code physically to someone elses house so that they can scan it into their computer with a Webcam. Once the code is scanned then they can access the game but you lose access to it until they print out the code and give it back to you physically.

jwbrown77

Because Valve actually did it, while Microsoft's was both cancelled and heavily rumored as being an hour trial by Cboat (I'll trust Cboat over Major Nelson and the mouthpiece of the week at MS).

I don't know if I trust one over the other, but I do know that Microsoft was never forthright about their sharing plan, and that's why I never bought into it as a feature.

They sold it as something that I know publishers wouldn't have agreed to, and I'm confident that when the final details were released, it wouldn't have been nearly as useful as the Microsoft fanboys claimed it would.

Yeah this is pretty limited. I'm surprised by all the positive comments thus far.

It's not exactly the perfect Utopia where all games can be accessed by everyone at anytime for any length of time, but it's decent for what it is.

Think of it like you're letting your friend borrow your console (Steam account) and games without the hassle of carting a physical system and a thousand physical games around.

I can see people working around these limitations pretty easily if they just throttle their game playing time. Just trade off every other day or call your friend to see if they'll let you finish a game or something.

I definitely understand why they don't let you play the same game at the same time at least. Having that would require developers to chose whether or not their games support it (like Origin's game trade-ins) and odds are that very few games would support it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I like how when Microsoft announced this everyone was whining about how terrible it is, but now that Valve announces it everyone cheers them for being amazing.

Either way it's a great feature. It would have made the Xbox One a lot more appealing to me if this feature was included.

Haunted

Awesome.

I'm having trouble understanding what's so great about this. Couldn't I just allow my family to access my library all along? Or is it because they'll have different save files and stuff now?
They can play your games on their own account, that is the improvement.

ultron87

The way they were messaging the Family Share Plan pre-180 still makes it seem really seem really unlikely to that it would actually be a one hour trial. Their executives and PR said too many things that would be total lies and would just lead to even more negative PR down the road for very little benefit.

Cartman86

Banned
Yeah it's basically just a really simple and secure way to share usernames and passwords. Basically like a lending discs (can use your own account with a disc etc). Which is nice and the way all digital content should work at a minimum, but not the crazy awesome scenario it seemed like Microsoft might do. I look forward to escalation though.

DaBoss

Funny thing is, the version Valve is doing (so far) isn't anywhere as good as what MS was going to do.

All Valve have done is make it so its just like console game sharing now, in that on 360/PS3 etc a family member/friend can play any disk based game on their console, and digital game can be played on the same console over numerous accounts.
Not trying to back seat mod or anything, but did you even read the post a few posts above by Steve?

This is the same thing as there being one console in the house. Some games have local play, others don't. Only one person can play a single-player game at any one time.

It's obviously a bit more than that but on the basic level, it is a much needed feature.

Why are people coming up with MS having a better plan when they gave no information on how it works and canned it saying "too bad."

marrec

Banned
Oh really? So you and your friend can both play your physical copy of a game, at the same time, on different systems?

I think he means he wants it to work like 'sharing' does on computers right now.

How you can 'share' with other users on BitTorrent.

Valve actually had a FAQ from the get-go that laid out the devil in their details. You know, the stuff that lowered the initial hype, due to the reality of the restrictions.

Microsoft was throwing marketing buzzwords of family sharing, and refused to tell us the devil in the details no matter how hard they were pressed. Because let's be real, these kind of things are filled with devils in the detail that they simply refuse to share.

Very big difference.

Why are people still spreading misinformation about what the ms plan was? It wasn't some paragon of digital ownership that allowed 10 people to play halo together all at once and it required you to sacrifice physical ownership and sustain a constant, unbreakable connection to broadband Internet.

I like how when Microsoft announced this everyone was whining about how terrible it is, but now that Valve announces it everyone cheers them for being amazing.

Either way it's a great feature. It would have made the Xbox One a lot more appealing to me if this feature was included.
There was a little bit more to MS' policies than the family sharing. Everything else is what people took issue with...

I think that people comparing this with the Xbone sharing plan are ignoring that the biggest complaints made about it were around the fact that it eliminated used games and was proffered as the reason for requiring that the console be online permanently. Used games disappeared in PC land a long, long time ago; and nobody has suggested that this proposal will require that a user be always online, though it would make sense if they wanted access to shared libraries or games.

They are not really the same thing, so comparing them is pretty dumb.

Top Bottom