• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED | Review Thread

Geruda065

Diablo 4 is a game I like but like you said Subscription for most stuff I do have gamepass for 3 years, just trying to save money a bit a lot of games I want but so expensive for PS5 versions (even if they are £10-20 more) it builds up.

Is the OLED worth it or should I get second hand LCD?
Get oled. Its so much better on all fronts.

BurningNad

I'm about to pull the trigger next payday and get the 512GB OLED. I'm getting my emulation files together, going to install EmuDeck and Decky right off the bat, does anyone have any others to look into installing? How about accessories?

Topher

Gold Member
I'm about to pull the trigger next payday and get the 512GB OLED. I'm getting my emulation files together, going to install EmuDeck and Decky right off the bat, does anyone have any others to look into installing? How about accessories?

If you want to include other stores then Heroic Launcher is another good one.

For Deck Loader, I really like the bluetooth plugin that makes it easy to connect my ear buds.

BurningNad

If you want to include other stores then Heroic Launcher is another good one.

For Deck Loader, I really like the bluetooth plugin that makes it easy to connect my ear buds.
Nice, didn't even think about adding other launchers. I'll be needing that bluetooth plugin also, two solid tips! Thank you!

StereoVsn

I still love my deck to death, but I wish it was more powerful sometimes sub 30 for some New AAA games sucks 🥺
I think we will see new ASUS (no chance I would buy it after their latest shit), Lenovo and MSI devices either toward end of the year or early next year.

New AMD and Intel chipsets should be dropping around that time. So Deck 2 may happen next year as well.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I still love my deck to death, but I wish it was more powerful sometimes sub 30 for some New AAA games sucks 🥺

Kind of given up on it for that, but with playing weaker PC games as a target, and then streaming AAA from PC, PS5 and Xbox. Local streaming workings amazingly well.

I decided to return my Steam Deck OLED. I put in the help request earlier today.

I like it, but I just don't like it ENOUGH. It's great, but it's not great ENOUGH. I loved it when I first got it but my enjoyment of it sort of just...lost steam.... (I'm so sorry). In all honesty though, it's a really great machine and I liked it quite a bit but just not enough to spend $580 on it. Reasons being:

• I wanted to use it for Remote Play alongside PC games, but I didn't have a great experience with Remote Play or Chiaki (Chiaki on my MacBook Air performed much better, and I find the Portal much more comfortable overall).
  • Shooters. I own a lot of shooters on steam, and I just can't on this thing. This isn't a Steam Deck only thing, as I can't really play them well on a Switch or the Portal either. I've narrowed it down to hand position I believe where something just feels off. Trackpads/Gyro don't help enough either.
  • Possible update. I know Valve said to not expect anything anytime soon but Steam Deck has been out for over 2 years, and the OLED has been out for over half a year.
  • I also just don't think I like handheld gaming really. My Switch was rarely ever used handheld when I had one, and outside of the Vita I've never spent a lot of time on any handheld dating back to the GBC.

Kupfer

I decided to return my Steam Deck OLED. I put in the help request earlier today.

I like it, but I just don't like it ENOUGH. It's great, but it's not great ENOUGH. I loved it when I first got it but my enjoyment of it sort of just...lost steam.... (I'm so sorry). In all honesty though, it's a really great machine and I liked it quite a bit but just not enough to spend $580 on it. Reasons being:

• I wanted to use it for Remote Play alongside PC games, but I didn't have a great experience with Remote Play or Chiaki (Chiaki on my MacBook Air performed much better, and I find the Portal much more comfortable overall).
  • Shooters. I own a lot of shooters on steam, and I just can't on this thing. This isn't a Steam Deck only thing, as I can't really play them well on a Switch or the Portal either. I've narrowed it down to hand position I believe where something just feels off. Trackpads/Gyro don't help enough either.
  • Possible update. I know Valve said to not expect anything anytime soon but Steam Deck has been out for over 2 years, and the OLED has been out for over half a year.
  • I also just don't think I like handheld gaming really. My Switch was rarely ever used handheld when I had one, and outside of the Vita I've never spent a lot of time on any handheld dating back to the GBC.
Fair enough

Topher

Gold Member

I wouldn't want to play shooters on Steam Deck either.

I wouldn't want to play shooters on Steam Deck either.
I beat Ion Fury on the Deck on Hard, found out the gyro aiming to be quite nice.

Doesn't beat KB&M of course but it's good enough imo.
Gyro definitely helps but it's still foreign enough to me that I find myself not using it. I could train myself but after 20 years of analog stick or mouse aiming I can't get used to gyro. It's the same thing with back buttons actually, I find myself still using face buttons because it's all I knew for generations.

Some shooters were better than others. FEAR though was absolutely horrendous. I tried mapping lean to the back buttons on the deck but those buttons I still think are terrible and hard to press.

I think the biggest problem with shooters is still just the hand placement with the screen in the middle at least for me.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

Noob.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
lol what? How does that make me a noob? Also who the fuck uses noob in 2024?

There’s a good chance I’ve been playing games on PC and console longer than you anyway.
Someone who's been gaming longer than you, obviously :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Don't take Noob to heart. Not everything is an actual attack on your character. Get emulationstation on your Deck, it's perfect for it, and plays most retro 👍

Someone who's been gaming longer than you, obviously :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Don't take Noob to heart. Not everything is an actual attack on your character. Get emulationstation on your Deck, it's perfect for it, and plays most retro 👍
I already did put it on there. I prefer original hardware. I have a CRT if I want to play retro stuff.

Also if you’ve been playing longer then you then you’re old as hell lol.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I already did put it on there. I prefer original hardware. I have a CRT if I want to play retro stuff.
I used to, but sadly don't have the luxury anymore, the wife would end up breaking it. I shoved it all in various cupboards. Someone will have fun one day..

Probably selling it all, the bastards.
Also if you’ve been playing longer then you then you’re old as hell lol.
44. Started in 84.

I think that's old. It feels old :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I used to, but sadly don't have the luxury anymore, the wife would end up breaking it. I shoved it all in various cupboards. Someone will have fun one day..

Probably selling it all, the bastards.

44. Started in 84.

I think that's old. It feels old :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Ooof yeah you old as hell 😉

I’m 33 and 33 feels old nowadays. Started in the mid 90s on old Jane’s combat fighters and stuff. Good times.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I adore my Oled steam deck. Great for 7th gen games and retro emulation, which is wh primarily use it for. As well as for any trips.

Otherwise I would play on my main pc with retortink4k on my 4k oled.

Top Bottom