• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well, this just happened:

9389375744_61c572664e_o.gif

Still not going to play nice with Safari no matter what is done to the site. It's a video format not a animated picture replacement format. Couple that with audio as well and that takes away from the ability to have multiple instances on the same page at the same time without looping over one another. I know some folks are over the moon with webm as a container but it's not the answer to replacing gifs. You could run mp4 container files in most browsers for about a good 2-3 years before anyone here had heard of webm or the vp9 codec and no one was getting all excited about that and it's exactly the same thing.

And how's that mp4 compression for 3 minute clips?
Also... Safari? I thought you were a good guy, Dogg. :\

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well, this just happened:

nope.gif

Every time someone brings up Facerig, I always end up looking at that stupid fucking cheeseburger thing in the promo images. And then I notice that the release date on Steam is still months away, and it seems like it's delayed even more every time I see it.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Oh dear.

I sadly know about his existence. An ex girlfriend of mine was a giant fan of his. I saw two videos of him screaming and had enough.

brave soldier ... that's about 1.75 more than I could ever stand :/

Coreda

Still not going to play nice with Safari no matter what is done to the site. It's a video format not a animated picture replacement format. Couple that with audio as well and that takes away from the ability to have multiple instances on the same page at the same time without looping over one another. I know some folks are over the moon with webm as a container but it's not the answer to replacing gifs. You could run mp4 container files in most browser for about a good 2-3 years before anyone here had heard or webm or the vp9 codec and no one was getting all excited about that and it's exactly the same thing.

It's a replacement for gameplay gifs, and longer clips, as they are typically way too bloated for the purpose as you would have noticed. Short, optimized reaction-style clips will likely stay as gifs for quite a while.

It's true that Mp4 could be just as easily used, and have greater compatibility and decoding speed. WebM blew up mostly due to 4chan's adoption earlier this year, and it was enough to become a popular alternative choice, being open source doesn't hurt either. I'll take it over bloated gifs any day though.

Edit: oh, and the audio thing. Most people encode WebMs without the audio, but even those with audio will be muted by default using the GAF WebM addons/userscript. I'd try it out, works well.

Chariot

You're the only cool guy there anyway, no one else was playing VC.
Actually knurek was also playing, although he had a face :D

How long until we get PewDiePie THE GAME?
It would be some kind of sing star only with screaming and immature remarks.

brave soldier ... that's about 1.75 more than I could ever stand :/
The pure power of thirst.

Btw, whatever happened to that Yogscast game?
You haven't heard?

denx

You haven't heard?

Which of the failed yogscast games are you referring to? =p

nvm found it

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-17-kickstarter-funded-yogventures-canned-backers-given-steam-key-for-another-game-instead

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-22-yogventures-dev-to-dissolve-following-yogscast-backed-project-failure

Well nobody saw that coming from light years away did they? :p

i find it hard to hate someone like pewdiepie when he's so easy to avoid altogether

he does his thing, some people enjoy it, he's not to fault that i'm not a millionaire

Pretty much this.

I already checked those, but I was wondering what gaf thinks about them. Its normal to have doubts when I see "Great" games being as cheap as 2$ and not being discussed.

Anyway thanks for the help! <3

Well, with bundle games, you always take that risk.
I bought Aces Wild before it was ever bundled because my friend who loves action games mentioned it to me. If it's any good, I don't know... but based on the general reviews and the fact that he mentioned it to me, I'd say it's probably worth $2 or whatever. Then again, I have a ridiculous game library and end up owning everything anyway, so you might not want to listen to me. :p

As far as fearless fantasy, it sure looks like it could be cool and the reviews on steam seem pretty positive...

But you're right, Steam ratings should always be taken with a grain of salt because you get things like people negative review bombing RE4 HD because "mouse controls" or some other bullshit that really doesn't rate that kind of reaction.

Accoun

i find it hard to hate someone like pewdiepie when he's so easy to avoid altogether

TBH he would be less of an annoyance if YouTube didn't try to recommend him almost every time I watch something game-related. Although this is minor and probably out of his control.
Also Minecraft letsplayers. Do I have to send an official letter of complaints to Google or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom