• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

it was some of the best months of reading i had in a long time. i started with I, Robot, and am working my way up through time. currently on Prelude

You're still at the cusp of Foundation!? I wish I was you, still oblivious of the awesomeness that unfolds.

iosefe

You're still at the cusp of Foundation!? I wish I was you, still oblivious of the awesomeness that unfolds.

i read a bit of spoilers, a bit back, sci-fi book recommendation thread back last november. well kinda, more like the main goal of Foundation and Earth, and so i researched a little bit and found out about the connected timeline, and have been working on it since

Tellaerin

it was some of the best months of reading i had in a long time. i started with I, Robot, and am working my way up through time. currently on Prelude

Asimov's a frustrating author for me. Conceptually, I think a lot of his stuff is fantastic. Unfortunately, he had a tin ear for dialogue, and his prose is leaden at best. I always end up coming away thinking, "great ideas, lousy execution".

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Heinlein is better than Asimov when it comes to character writing. And slightly better overall too. Still, Foundation trilogy is GOAT tier and the Robot stories are a real pleasure.

iosefe

Asimov's a frustrating author for me. Conceptually, I think a lot of his stuff is fantastic. Unfortunately, he had a tin ear for dialogue, and his prose is leaden at best. I always end up coming away thinking, "great ideas, lousy execution".
I always fancied overarching stories and a wide universe of story. it is quite a universe through out the books

*back on topic* I'm naming the first planet with an orange sky Aurora when I play No Man's Sky

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Dark Souls II announced for PS4, XBO - 2015

Dark Souls 2 is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One next year in an enhanced version of the game called Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, Namco Bandai and From Software announced today. The re-release of Dark Souls 2 will come with the game's three downloadable add-ons and new enhancements.

The PS4 and Xbox One versions of Dark Souls 2 feature updated graphics as well as new game content, including "an expanded story featuring additional in-game events and NPC character along with new deadlier enemies and gameplay improvements." Those improvements will also be available for the PC release of Scholar of the First Sin, which takes advantage of DirectX 11 for Windows.

I wonder if we'll get all the new goodies ...

Dark Souls II announced for PS4, XBO - 2015

I wonder if we'll get all the new goodies ...

Awesome news, hopefully it's a relatively cheap upgrade for us PC players, and DX11 is going to be great, can't wait to replay it.

EDIT: Dark Souls 2's new game content, augmented item descriptions and gameplay improvements, which From Software is calling version 1.1.0 of the title, are also coming to PS3, Xbox 360 and the DirectX 9 version of the Windows PC game. Players of those versions will get the 1.1.0 update free of charge. The Scholar of the First Sin re-release will also be available for PS3 and Xbox 360.

GIF-Okay-OK-Agree-Agreeing-Yep-Aw-yeah-Yeah-Fuck-yeah-yes-nod-approval-Stanley-Hudson-The-Office-GIF.gif

Anteater

According to the Japanese press release, the release format in Japan is slightly different.

The PS3/360/PC(DX9) version of Scholar of the First Sin will be released on Feb 5 2015, while he PS4/XBO/PC(DX11) version will be released on Apr 9 2015. The pricing is different too, with the DX9 PC version going for 4,200yen, while the DX11 PC version will be 5,200yen.

That pretty much confirms that anyone who owns DS2 on Steam now is stuck with the DX9 version, and you'll probably have to buy the DX11 version separately. Unless they offer a discounted upgrade.

eh

I guess i'll probably get the new version if that's the case for the dlcs instead of buying them separately

Anteater

Is this version a free upgrade on PC, or an entirely "new" game you need to purchase? :eek:

Dark Souls 2's new game content, augmented item descriptions and gameplay improvements, which From Software is calling version 1.1.0 of the title, are also coming to PS3, Xbox 360 and the DirectX 9 version of the Windows PC game. Players of those versions will get the 1.1.0 update free of charge. The Scholar of the First Sin re-release will also be available for PS3 and Xbox 360.

There is a new version and there's a free patch for the "dx9 version of the pc game", it's unclear if dx11 and some other improvements are exclusive to the scholar of the first sin version, but judging from duck's post it seems to be the case at least for dx11, will probably need to wait for official clarification.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm guessing there's a free upgrade with the dx11 crap i don't care about and then payed dlc which is a total bummer. it's what's expected but it'd be a super nice surprise if it was free for owners of the season pass or something

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is this version a free upgrade on PC, or an entirely "new" game you need to purchase? :eek:

The latter, it seems. The Japanese press release, assuming Duckroll didn't make any mistakes, is a little off -- Scholar of the First Sin (DX9) is just the original release with a new patch, not an actual new release. It's the DX11 version that's going to be separate. A loyalty discount seems assured considering the actual content between the two editions is identical.

zkylon

zkylewd
The latter, it seems. The Japanese press release, assuming Duckroll didn't make any mistakes, is a little off -- Scholar of the First Sin (DX9) is just the original release with a new patch, not an actual new release. It's the DX11 version that's going to be separate. A loyalty discount seems assured considering the actual content between the two editions is identical.

ok i'd be super ok with payed graphics, free content

i hope it's like that

Knurek

I see nothing wrong with that. I suggest you read the Foundation series, if you haven't yet before the TV show fucks it up.

Anyone suggesting Foundation and not suggesting Culture series has confirmed bad taste.
Why read a 'great ideas, bad execution' novels when you can read 'great ideas, great execution' ones?
Or just start a Stephenson book - even if you're a fast reader, that's still at least two months gone - you'll be done just in time for the winter sale.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guess losing my DS2 save was a blessing in disguise, will play this "new" version and the DLC (which I havent touched)

but only after bloodborne

xBladeM6x

Ah. Kind of like Metro 2033 vs Metro Redux then. That sounds fine.

iosefe

Anyone suggesting Foundation and not suggesting Culture series has confirmed bad taste.
Why read a 'great ideas, bad execution' novels when you can read 'great ideas, great execution' ones?
Or just start a Stephenson book - even if you're a fast reader, that's still at least two months gone - you'll be done just in time for the winter sale.
I recommend the Robot Novels including "I, Robot" as a starting point. Where does that put me?
I will try to find them on that site.
good luck, comrade

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
great, here comes the australian being all fucking sensible and shit about something.

Youre such a tool JaseC, wheres the faux outrage? where's the death threats?

wheres the hate? :(

zkylon

zkylewd
i hope that $50000 vacations interview in valkyria features hot springs or i'm gonna be pissed

Keeping DX11 effects behind a paywall and splitting the playerbase is such a silly thing. Good lord.

i doubt it'll be like that

even the dlc that was already released allows you to invade players playing through it even if you didn't buy it

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-2-coming-to-ps4-and-xbox-one-this-april/1100-6423804/

Continuing the trend of popular games from the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 going to current-gen systems, From Software announced that the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and DirectX 11 PCs will get a new version of Dark Souls II.

From Software isn't abandoning last-gen gamers or people who already own the game though. Scholar of the First Sin will also be available on PS3, 360, and DirectX 9 PCs as a compilation version that collects the game and DLC missions. While it won't include the enhanced graphics and sound, those versions (and gamers who already own Dark Souls II) will receive the additional content through a free, "large-scale update (ver. 1.10), which will add new features including an additional NPC to seek out along the treacherous quest through Drangleic as well as expanded story, in-game events, improved balance, and online matchmaking functionality."

Fuck you Namco.

def sim

i doubt it'll be like that

even the dlc that was already released allows you to invade players playing through it even if you didn't buy it

Hm

If that turns out to be the case here, then I'm cool with that. I'd hate to see the player base shrink when I return to it.

Anteater

what about the increase to maximum online players for the new version tho, how would that work with players with the old game?

Xbox One, PS4, and DirectX 11 versions of the game will include the following features (in addition to those listed above):

Additional upgrades to graphics, sound, performance.
Increase in maximum online players in single session (6 total).

Morning guys
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action! -- MB-72AF6A66958C3354 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 3 entrants total.

t1416896652z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
???

paying for next gen upgrade is standard practice

having free content added to the game is awesome

i think scamco's being pretty alright on this one

Hm

If that turns out to be the case here, then I'm cool with that. I'd hate to see the player base shrink when I return to it.
you and me both

i need sunbros for freja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom