• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

how can anybody say Arcanum is awful? How?
I think steamgaf is no friend of mine, like there is at least one person here that hates every game on my GOAT list with the exception of Civ2 (awaiting for Civ2 is awful post any minute now) and
Mana Khemia that nobody played anyway

Arcanum is one of the best PC games ever, just so you know.

Civ 2 is awful. In fact, all of Sid Meier games are awful.
Mana Khemia is awful. In fact, all of Gust games are awful with the exception of アレス王の物語

Ludens

Banned
I remember days in which a console version of a game was the expensive one.
I could take Dishonored 2 for 40€ right now from Unieuro (PS4/One), because that's the pre-order price for it. You could even trade the game back when you beat it. Sadly I don't buy console games if not in rare cases of exclusives, but it's a bummer when digital is expensive than physical.

I've tried playing it several times. On paper, it's everything I love: it's steampunky, it's a party-based CRPG, good characters, good setting...

but then I just can't get into it. I seem to remember the levelling system was particularly confusing. I can respect what it was trying to do, but I have to concede that the game wasn't for me.

Ascheroth

Finished Trails in the Sky SC

(This will be about FC and SC as a whole)
PMro9kO.png

+66 hours FC

What an amazing, great game. Estelles and Joshuas story in Liberl has come to a conclusion. It doesn't look like it's the conclusion, but it's one.
And what a great story it was. I know that some people like to say that the game is boring and slow until the end of FC, where things start to 'get real', but I vehemently disagree.
Personally I loved how the story was structured, continuously building up and foreshadowing things to come, while letting you get to know the well-written characters and world.
Yeah, you don't start out as the awesome chosen one that has to save the world from the evilish evil the minute you start the game. You start as a Junior Bracer (which is probably best described as a mix of adventurer and police) and your tasks are equally small in scale. You follow Estelle and Joshua as they grow and rise through the ranks, and get into more and more turmoil. Everything you experience along this journey, even if it might seem small and unimportant, has its purpose and comes together in an amazing conclusion.

And it truly feels like a 'world'. It has its history, its technology, its economy, its inhabitants, and it truly feels like things constantly move and change even without your direct actions.
I think the great writing of the world and characters has been mentioned a lot already, so I'm not going to get too deep into that. But something I really, really enjoyed, which I haven't seen mentioned all that often is how well it intertwines its 'game-systems' with said world.
It's most obvious in how it handles its 'magic', or Artes and Orbments in its case. Everyone has access to the same Artes as everyone else - depending on how you set it up. The Orbments are a technology that not only you have, but rather every Bracer uses. And since the Orbment technology is also still evolving, some upgrades throughout the games feel completely natural, since they not only effect you as the player, but everyone else as well and even has effects on the entire world.
Something much smaller, but something I probably like even more, is how monsters don't drop gold. Instead they drop Sepith, a type of mineral crystal that naturally forms inside monsters and also exists in the earth and such. You only get Gold by completing Bracer missions - or by exchangign Sepith for it in any shop.

There are really only a couple things I didn't like as much:
- The collectible books and hidden sidequests. Sometimes the time-windows are so small and obscure that you're inevitably going to miss some without a guide, even if you think you're as careful as possible.
- While combat is generally fun and thankfully priorizes preparation and tactics instead of grinding, at times it's a tad too slow... and sometimes it can feel annoying when all you want is to know how the next part of the story will unfold.

But, yeah, as a whole it's an absolutely fantastic experience.
And Olivier is the bestest.

I hope I managed to form this into something coherent to read, lol.

Vamphuntr

I think steamgaf is no friend of mine, like there is at least one person here that hates every game on my GOAT list with the exception of Civ2 (awaiting for Civ2 is awful post any minute now) and

Nostalgia often clouds judgement. It's also important to note when you played it for the first time. I just played it for the first time and I have to say it's really off putting. I mean I played and I adore all of the infinity engine games and compared to them this is more or less thrash tier. The combat system is a disaster. You don't control what the other characters in your party do and the AI is dumb as hell. The healer guy try to rush enemies with a staff while the orc tank that has an axe equips a bow when is at close range of enemies. The hell is this? The only command you have is to tell them to group or back off and pretty sure most of the time it does nothing.

Best PC game ever? If you can tolerate stuff like this I don't know what is your worst PC game ever.

Uzzy

Alpha Centauri crushes Civ2.

Lomax

Civ2 is awful
ly great, probably still in my top 5 most played games of all time
. I thought Arcanum was decent, it's just not in the same class as Fallout and Baldur's Gate.

Alpha Centauri was the real Civ3.

Arthea

Civ 2 is awful. In fact, all of Sid Meier games are awful.
Mana Khemia is awful. In fact, all of Gust games are awful with the exception of アレス王の物語

I knew I can count on you to finish it off!

Nostalgia often clouds judgement. It's also important to note when you played it for the first time. I just played it for the first time and I have to say it's really off putting. I mean I played and I adore all of the infinity engine games and compared to them this is more or less thrash tier. The combat system is a disaster. You don't control what the other characters in your party do and the AI is dumb as hell. The healer guy try to rush enemies with a staff while the orc tank that has an axe equips a bow when is at close range of enemies. The hell is this? The only command you have is to tell them to group or back off and pretty sure most of the time it does nothing.

Best PC game ever? If you can tolerate stuff like this I don't know what is your worst PC game ever.

Arcanum is not that old to resort to "nostalgia" argument, granted I've played it when it was released, but I repeated the process two times after.
It's an amazing game on any level:
interesting story - check
engrossing strange world - check
revolutionary combat approach - check (combat system is great btw)
switching between real time and tb (unheard of) - check
wowful customization - check

Troika was and still is the bestest.
I honestly think that it is more interesting game than Baldur's Gate and even Fallout.
And you people just can't appreciate a great game because it takes a time and will to learn the systems. That being said I can kinda see that wow effect maybe no longer there, but it's still a very exceptional game as I said couple of times before, we never got another Arcanum or even half decent take on formula.

different birds, Alpha Centauri is GOAT too, true, but Civ2 still remains my most played game of all times.

Trails praise

And Olivier is the bestest.

One of us! It is an amazing game

Although Estelle is the bestestest, but Olivier comes close, true

now we patiently wait for TC, right?
by patiently I mean whatever it takes to get it

Tizoc

Oh DLGamer has Dishonored 2 for GBP 33, that's a pretty decent price for me TBH.
After Deus Ex MD, I'm in a Modern gaming Stealth genre kick XP I think I'll start Dishonored too soon XD

DE:MD is another one - first-week sales are below HR's, but considering the number of games available, the release-window (I'm sure HR came out near Christmas), and the market for sneaky games, it's not done too badly, I'm sure. :)

Human Revolution actually came out in August 2011, so it had the exact timeframe of release as Mankind Divided. MD is a really good game but it just seems that the enthusiasm doesn't quite match what HR had back in the day. In addition to that, anger over the consumable dlc stuff and the abrupt ending is causing the Steam review average to drop. Regardless of what one might think of Steam reviews in general, it is a reflection of how the community perceives a title at any point in time.

Ozium

we will still get weeklies even though it's labor day right?
or not until tuesday?

also someguyinahat are you going to get THE BUNKER?

Pixieking

Banned
Human Revolution actually came out in August 2011, so it had the exact timeframe of release as Mankind Divided. MD is a really good game but it just seems that the enthusiasm doesn't quite match what HR had back in the day. In addition to that, anger over the consumable dlc stuff and the abrupt ending is causing the Steam review average to drop. Regardless of what one might think of Steam reviews in general, it is a reflection of how the community perceives a title at any point in time.

Ah, that's fair enough - I remember playing HR during the Autumn (short days/rainy/cold), so that must've muddled things up in my head. :)

Yeah, HR was a pleasant surprise, whereas MD was everyone expecting it to be awesome, and whilst it's good, it's not got that little something that makes it the game to play. And, yeah, that stupid DLC situation. Effing moronic. :/

Ascheroth

One of us! It is an amazing game

Although Estelle is the bestestest, but Olivier comes close, true

now we patiently wait for TC, right?
by patiently I mean whatever it takes to get it

True, for some reason I always take the main character(s) for granted. Estelle being the most bestestest is a given :p

TC is spring next year, right?

Arthea

True, for some reason I always take the main character(s) for granted. Estelle being the most bestestest is a given :p

TC is spring next year, right?

we still don't know when TC is coming (I wouldn't expect any time soon), we only know that we should thank Xseed for willing to do it daily.

Someone tell what's so great with Red Dead Redemption? Even if it came to PC, wouldn't it use the crappy Social Club service?

of course it would, I also won't believe any rumours until it's on steam.

Knurek

T-4 days to Ace Attorney 6
T-11 days to Dragon Quest VII
T+2 days to Picross 3D Round 2.
Goodbye Steam. Was nice knowing you.

Arthea

T-4 days to Ace Attorney 6
T-11 days to Dragon Quest VII
T+2 days to Picross 3D Round 2.
Goodbye Steam. Was nice knowing you.
where is Steins Gate on that list, on steam, you know
traitor!

Huh, I thought it was in their twitter header, or is that outdated info?

SC was delayed constantly, I fully expect the same to happen to TC too, even if it is a shorter game, it's not one that will sell a lot, unfortunately, meaning - low priority.

dex3108

Someone tell what's so great with Red Dead Redemption? Even if it came to PC, wouldn't it use the crappy Social Club service?

For me it is best game that Rockstar ever made. Best story, amazing visuals even on last gen consoles, there are really cool Zen moments when you just ride into the sunset and music kicks in with ambient sounds that is still unmatched. You really are lonely and free in old West.

Knurek

where is Steins Gate on that list, on steam, you know
traitor!

Have you looked at store page for the game?
Have you noticed the atrocious spacing issues?
I'd much rather play the original PC release than this shit.
Come on, Arty, Picross 3D Round bloody 2

Arthea

Have you looked at store page for the game?
Have you noticed the atrocious spacing issues?
I'd much rather play the original PC release than this shit.
Come on, Arty, Picross 3D Round bloody 2

bbbbut resolution!
you can't be serious, can you?

call me when it's on PC, I'll be there day 0

Follow the horse for 10 minutes but don't get to close.
Gets too close
Mission failed.
Start again.

?

sensible chuckle.gif

Knurek

bbbbut resolution!
you can't be serious, can you?

call me when it's on PC, I'll be there day 0

Code:
   I       don'      t      think       you       realize       just        how        big        of        an       issue       it       is  .  .  .
Citra is good enough to play the Picross e games, you might want to try 3DR2 there

Annubis

French?
Original name: 宇宙伝説ユリシーズ31
French indeed.
;P

haha
You got me.

Child me didn't know about this stuff and somehow my brain doesn't connect old memories and later knowledge.

Arthea

I don't remember who here recommended Zenge as an interesting little puzzler, but whoever you are, thank you! It was indeed chill and nice, I liked it a lot, it also became my 80th 100%-ed game on steam alone.
It's totally worth 1€ they are asking for. It is rather short and has some great ideas for more elaborate puzzle game, I hope a dev is working on it as we speak.

Code:
   I       don'      t      think       you       realize       just        how        big        of        an       issue       it       is  .  .  .
Citra is good enough to play the Picross e games, you might want to try 3DR2 there

oh c'mon, it's not that bad

Citra? I'll look into it

Knurek

I don't remember who here recommended Zenge as an interesting little puzzler, but whoever you are, thank you! It was indeed chill and nice, I liked it a lot, it also became my 80th 100%-ed game on steam alone.
It's totally worth 1€ they are asking for. It is rather short and has some great ideas for more elaborate puzzle game, I hope a dev is working on it as we speak.

Poland stronk!
(Seriously, we're like, the kings of €0.99 puzzle games on Steam)

Random bit of trivia:

switching between real time and tb (unheard of) - check

The Might and Magic series of blobbers featured switchable real-time/turn-based combat from at least VI (1998), which was released three years prior to Arcanum (2001). And M&M VII and VIII came out in 1999 and 2000, both before Arcanum as well.
They were shitting out those games at a rapid rate, eventually resulting in the disaster that was M&M IX.

I never managed to get into Arcanum when it first released, but I intend on giving it a go since I got the Sierra bundle as well.

derFeef

That looks neat! Love those kind of games.

Teggy

I don't have a big issue with load times in Obduction on a mechanical drive. I do get periodic hitches, though, which are very annoying. Often over 100fps on ultra and the game will just stutter when I am walking around.

Arthea

Ucchedavāda;215937178 said:
Random bit of trivia:

The Might and Magic series of blobbers featured switchable real-time/turn-based combat from at least VI (1998), which was released three years prior to Arcanum (2001). And M&M VII and VIII came out in 1999 and 2000, both before Arcanum as well.
They were shitting out those games at a rapid rate, eventually resulting in the disaster that was M&M IX.

I never managed to get into Arcanum when it first released, but I intend on giving it a go since I got the Sierra bundle as well.

It can't be.... I've played every M&M game and I don't remember this, It was real time since 6, I think?
Or maybe I just forgot.
Anyway, M&M plays very differently as these are first person games, maybe that's why I don't even remember.

anyway, thanks for trivia.

Monooboe

Artheas passion for Arcanum has made me realize that I really need to play it. Back in the day I saw super hyped for it, me and all my friend, but the release was quite buggy so I never got around to actually playing it.

It can't be.... I've played every M&M game and I don't remember this, It was real time since 6, I think?
Or maybe I just forgot.
Anyway, M&M plays very differently as these are first person games, maybe that's why I don't even remember.

anyway, thanks for trivia.

My first M&M was VI and I played it a lot, which is why I remember this. Real-time was useful for ranged combat and trash-mobs, or just flying over areas, and turn-based was useful for fights against tougher enemies, since it made it easier to optimize your damage and buffs.

From the manual:
Pressing the Enter key will alter the flow of time, changing your party’s action from a free-flowing “real time” adventure to a turn-based combat system. When your party is in “turn based” mode, they will not be able to move, run or fly. You will only be able to attack characters and monsters, or turn alter your field of view. Pressing Enter again will toggle your party’s actions back to real time.

Arcanum is one of my favorite W-RPGs of all time. It's so well written and gives the player an insane amount of liberty and possibilities. And I'm not speaking from nostalgia as I only played the game for the first time last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom