• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam users have spent $19 billion on games they’ve never played

Soodanim

Starship Troopers GIF

Diddy X

steam-pile-of-shame-580x334.jpeg

Out of all the registered Steam accounts in the world, only 10%, or about 73 million in SteamIDFinder’s database, are public. Based on data from those accounts, we calculate that collectively there’s around $1.9 billion / £1.4 billion worth of games that have been purchased and then never played even a single time. Times that by ten, to roughly account for all the Steam profiles that are not public, and you arrive at $19 billion, more than the gross national product of Nicaragua, Niger, Chad, or Mauritius.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam/pile-of-shame

Lunarorbit

That world be a "fun" activity some rainy weekend; sort through all my playstation and nintendo games and see which games I've never even tried.

Probably mostly on ps digital. Roughly 300 games there and I bet I haven't played 20% of them. Almost all of them are shitty ps plus essentials games though.

I'm a borderlands fan but giving us #3 five years after it came out is bullshit. Or all the EA sports games we get after the season is over that they wouldn't have sold a single copy of otherwise

Griffon

That's what refunds are for.

Never keep a game unplayed for 2 weeks, at least try it and refund if you ain't feeling it.

Last edited:
Never understood why people buy games and not play them.

Its a total mystery to me. Even if the game has gone on sale.
I don't think anybody does this intentionally. I see a game I want to play for 80% off, I'll buy it with the intent to play it at some point. But life get's busy and that time keeps getting pushed back. And in-between all that a bunch of other games I want to play also went on sale so I bought those too! I'm going to play them all eventually STG!

Bridges

Least surprising thing I've read all day. I'm sure I haven't touched over half my stream library considering the amount of bundles and promotions I've taken advantage of but never actually booted up

what portion are games that were given away for free though? A good chunk of my backlog are free games and I only added them because they had card drops.

XXL

Never understood why people buy games and not play them.

Its a total mystery to me. Even if the game has gone on sale.
One example....I went to buy Deus Ex Human Revolution on a Steam sale and it was $5, but buying all the Deus Ex games ever made was $7.50.

I bought them all. I might get around to playing the other ones, but the 4 other games are just sitting in my library currently.

Another example, I also bought every Fallout game ever made for $11. I've only played New Vegas so far.

HercRaato

I am not surprised one bit by the volume of unplayed games. The value can't be but around 30%, there are tons of humble bundles and games from real steam sales back in the day. Even at 30% that's $570 mil in unplayed games, which is still a lot.

PS I'm part of the problem🤷‍♂️

Hrk69

Gold Member
One example....I went to buy Deus Ex Human Revolution on a Steam sale and it was $5, but buying all the Deus Ex games ever made was $7.50.

I bought them all. I might get around to playing the other ones, but the 4 other games are just sitting in my library currently.

Another example, I also bought every Fallout game ever made for $11. I've only played New Vegas so far.
Fair enough. That makes sense!

Maybe I should stop being poor 🤸🏽

Knightime_X

Yeah, my bad.
I do this shit all the time.
600+ unplayed games in my library
Either played for 2 minutes to see if it even boots or not even ran once.

april6e

I often overestimate how much free time I have as an adult. So I buy a game like Crusader Kings 3 or Rimworld wanting to try it out but then forget that I have to spend hours watching tutorials again on how to properly play the game/mod it and such.

Merkades

According to my SteamDB record 45% of my games have been played. But I have about 8400 hours logged in the ones I have played, so it is taking awhile. Not to mention it is not counting my PlayStation time, my near 1000 hours on EGS, my emulation game time et cetera. Regardless, I mostly don't mind, I will probably get to most of them eventually. Next week I will get Trails through Daybreak and almost certainly won't touch it until next year (will probably play Reverie after I finish DQXIS which i am on now).

Top Bottom