• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steelers QB Roethlisberger regrets not being on field for anthem; releases statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-regrets-how-pittsburgh-steelers-showed-unity

The Pittsburgh Steelers decided as a team to remain in the tunnel during the national anthem before Sunday's game to show unity and avoid being part of the political discussion about protests during the song.

On Monday, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger decided to go public with his feelings about the team's decision and the national anthem in general.

"The idea was to be unified as a team when so much attention is paid to things dividing our country, but I wish we approached it differently," Roethlisberger said in a statement. "We did not want to appear divided on the sideline with some standing and some kneeling or sitting.

"As a team, it was not a protest of the flag or the Anthem. I personally don't believe the Anthem is ever the time to make any type of protest. For me, and many others on my team and around the league, it is a tribute to those who commit to serve and protect our country, current and past, especially the ones that have made the ultimate sacrifice.

"I appreciate the unique diversity in my team and throughout the league and completely support the call for social change and the pusuit of true equality. Moving forward, I hope standing for the Anthem shows solidarity as a nation, that we stand united in respect for the people on the front lines protecting our freedom and keeping us safe. God bless those men and women."

I felt that this was thread-worthy due to this being a big name player in the NFL who is, 24 hours later, saying he regrets protesting and wishes his entire team didn't.

This is lazy and weak. And when it's coming from someone with the kind of history that he has, it comes off as even more fraudulent.

The Steelers by letting their army vet go stand created a completely different type of division. They basically reinforced the myth that any of this as fuck anything to do with military and respecting the troops.

I wonder if this is why Tomlin was so wishy-washy on everything and they did such a small statement

Ben probably had to get dragged kicking and screaming into just staying out of it

LycanXIII

You need to include Mike Tomlin's comment about the team yesterday. They were NOT protesting.

“We’re not going to play politics. We’re football players, we’re football coaches. We’re not participating in the anthem today. Not to be disrespectful to the anthem, to remove ourselves from the circumstance. People shouldn’t have to choose. If a guy wants to go about his normal business and participate in the anthem, he shouldn’t be forced to choose sides. If a guy feels the need to do something he shouldn’t be separated from his teammates who chooses not to. So we’re not participating today. That’s our decision.”

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/201...ers-anthem-locker-room-no-participation-video

I think some folks correlate standing for the flag with the military (which is actually 45% minority) whereas others see it as a perfectly appropriate time to tell the president to fuck off (which I'm fine with). That's where 95% of the arguments arise from.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Guy has always been a giant piece of shit. Not surprising.

I do put a lot of this on Villanueva and Tomlin though too. Villanueva because he agreed to stay off the field then snuck out there so he could be the only one standing and be able to get a nice cut of merch sales.

Tomlin because he tried to play the middle. Tomlin handled this in the worst way possible and is going to lose control of the locker room now that fingers are pointing everywhere.

overcast

Wow, Big Ben is an asshole.

Yeah, Tomlin has been given some false credit when he was just saying we don't want politics. Cowardly shit.

ironmang

The Steelers by letting their army vet go stand created a completely different type of division. They basically reinforced the myth that any of this as fuck anything to do with military and respecting the troops.

Lol you can't prevent a vet from standing for the anthem unless you want a huge shitstorm.
Players/staff should be allowed to do what they want individually whether it's staying in the locker room, kneeling, standing, whatever as long as it's tasteful.

The_Shepherd

Neo Member
He better treat his offensive linemen super well this week

Villanueva is on that line so if anything they may play even harder for him now.

Also it sucks that Ben admits that players wanted to sit or take a knee but due to their decision (likely to appease guys like Ben) they were unable to join other players in protest.

oo7

Holy shit guys. Put your pitchforks away. Is this the norm when someone has a different stance than the majority gaf view? Freedom of speech, unless it's not your opinion?

People talking about Jerry Richardson is a good ole boy redneck supremicist because he said he respects our vets.

People are making too big of a deal on these anthem protests. Then dumbass Trumpsicle gotta make it 10x worse. I just wanna watch foosball.

Stand up, sit down, free country. NFL anthem is not going to be the spark that we want it to be. Much bigger than that.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Villanueva is on that line so if anything they may play even harder for him now.

Also it sucks that Ben admits that players wanted to sit or take a knee but due to their decision (likely to appease guys like Ben) they were unable to join other players in protest.

Yep, this is why Tomlin is going to have a real hard time keeping this locker-room together.

NateDrake

...it is a tribute to those who commit to serve and protect our country, current and past, especially the ones that have made the ultimate sacrifice.

No. The flag represents all of us. Stop with this 'only for the military' stuff.

Wasn't Ben in the league already when players were just in the locker room for the national anthem anyway? I'm pretty sure the players being on the field for the anthem is a relatively new thing.

Mudcrab

Holy shit guys. Put your pitchforks away. Is this the norm when someone has a different stance than the majority gaf view? Freedom of speech, unless it's not your opinion?

People talking about Jerry Richardson is a good ole boy redneck supremicist because he said he respects our vets.

People are making too big of a deal on these anthem protests. Then dumbass Trumpsicle gotta make it 10x worse. I just wanna watch foosball.

Stand up, sit down, free country. NFL anthem is not going to be the spark that we want it to be. Much bigger than that.

Man, the thing is it seems to me that Tomlin said what he said in the above posts in order to not throw any one player under the bus knowing that he would be the one to face heat for his comments one way or the other, but then here comes BIG BEN to undermine the entire sentiment along with every teammate in the locker room who wanted to protest so he could win some cheap praise. Its not exactly a brave move to sabotage your teammates and fracture the locker room so you can look like a patriot or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom