• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate 0 |OT| Another Time Dilemma

FDC1

Is there a new update? or did you just start? I know that was an issue with the initial update.

I just finished playing and received no prompts to update during my session while connected to PSN. Backed up my saves to Plus Cloud so I should be good if it wants to update during my next boot

I edited my message, there is no new problematic update, it's just me being late to the party.

Phil Fish

Banned
Is this a VN like Zero Escape, or just straight up reading? Not that I have a problem with the latter or anything... you know! I'm just curious.

oldmario

finished the game
to the true ending

missing 2 tips probably unlikely anyone will know where exactly but i'm missing 99 and 165

Finally done with it a few days ago, I didn't want to start FF XV before seeing all the endings.
Same tier as the original in every way imo. I can't get enough of the soundtrack.

LProtag

I completely forgot about this with FFXV and The Last Guardian coming out recently.

Impressions? I'll probably pick it up at some point.

There's a line that Daru says that's translated as "get a grip," but it sounds like in Japanese he's saying something about Okabe being "chuunibyou?" Am I hearing that right?

There's a few other lines I've noticed where the translation just seems kind of odd.

I thought it was a weird choice for the translation to try and eliminate a lot of the japanese exclusive concepts and jokes.

I mean I know that's the goal of localization, but I think you can trust your audience to handle concepts like "Senpai" when you're adapting a Visual Novel that retains the japanese VA.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I think the first game was a lot better at preserving the identity of a lot of its references in its translation. It's by no means a deal breaker or a big deal even, it's just like you said. A really odd choice for this game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I haven't started the game, so no spoilers please....

I played through Steins;Gate and then watched the anime last year, and I'm currently re-watching the anime to refresh my memories as to how the story went. Even keeping a note of some of the possible dangling plot threads going into Steins;Gate 0, thinking maybe some of them will be resolved.

However, I'm thinking what I want to do is do things in this order...

Episodes 1-22
Episode 23 Beta
Play Steins;Gate 0 through to completion
Episode 23 Original
Episode 24, OVA, Movie

That way it sort of just flows "chronologically". Is that the best way to do this? Or is there anything in the original Episode 23 or later stuff that should be worth repeating before jumping into Steins;Gate 0?

I played through Steins;Gate and then watched the anime last year, and I'm currently re-watching the anime to refresh my memories as to how the story went. Even keeping a note of some of the possible dangling plot threads going into Steins;Gate 0, thinking maybe some of them will be resolved.

Episodes 1-22
Episode 23 Beta
Episode 23 Original
Episode 24, OVA, Movie

That way it sort of just flows "chronologically". Is that the best way to do this? Or is there anything in the original Episode 23 or later stuff that should be worth repeating before jumping into Steins;Gate 0?

That will work. SG0 leads right into the ending of the original.

Episodes 1-22
Episode 23 Beta
Episode 23 Original
Episode 24, OVA, Movie

I'm positive that should be good, having played both games and watched the original anime.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, thanks guys. This series is so good that I kind of want to savor it and have everything fresh in my mind going into Steins;Gate 0. Far too often I'm playing or watching some sequel that refers to events that I barely remember from the previous entry and I get a little confused. So getting the best order on a revisit is important.

There's a few other lines I've noticed where the translation just seems kind of odd.
Yes. That scene where Daru keeps saying that makes a lot more sense thanks to the Japanese audio.
Thought so.

It's kind of weird that they chose the "localize" that line considering that they even bothered to put the term chuunibyou in the tips.

Edit: there are a few other odd things that seem like errors. Like Dr. Leskinen lies and says
"he'll be a student this September," but then a few lines later says "I said you'd be a student starting in September, but I didn't mean this September." I'm not sure if that's supposed to be showing that the man is an airhead or if the first line should say "in" instead of "this."

Thought so.

It's kind of weird that they chose the "localize" that line considering that they even bothered to put the term chuunibyou in the tips.

Edit: there are a few other odd things that seem like errors. Like Dr. Leskinen lies and says
"he'll be a student this September," but then a few lines later says "I said you'd be a student starting in September, but I didn't mean this September." I'm not sure if that's supposed to be showing that the man is an airhead or if the first line should say "in" instead of "this."

Spoilered part is likely a casualty of editing and spreadsheet localizations, I imagine.

Fowler

I thought it was a weird choice for the translation to try and eliminate a lot of the japanese exclusive concepts and jokes.

I mean I know that's the goal of localization, but I think you can trust your audience to handle concepts like "Senpai" when you're adapting a Visual Novel that retains the japanese VA.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I think the first game was a lot better at preserving the identity of a lot of its references in its translation. It's by no means a deal breaker or a big deal even, it's just like you said. A really odd choice for this game.

Yeah, totally. I don't watch a lot of anime and hadn't played any VNs before Steins;Gate, so I remember when I first saw words like tsundere and chuunibyou pop up I thought, that's weird, I know there's a tips menu but why wouldn't they just translate that?

But after playing it, I'm really happy they did it that way. It added a lot of flavour to the game. It felt Japanese but yet not alienating to someone who didn't understand it, if that makes sense.

Spoilered part is likely a casualty of editing and spreadsheet localizations, I imagine.
Yeah, makes sense I suppose. Translating something this big and checking for those kind of mistakes must be a PITA.
Yeah, totally. I don't watch a lot of anime and hadn't played any VNs before Steins;Gate, so I remember when I first saw words like tsundere and chuunibyou pop up I thought, that's weird, I know there's a tips menu but why wouldn't they just translate that?

But after playing it, I'm really happy they did it that way. It added a lot of flavour to the game. It felt Japanese but yet not alienating to someone who didn't understand it, if that makes sense.
One of my favorites things about S;G is that it's fairly bold with translating some things straight out instead of localizing them. It takes belief that your audience will care enough to invest in figuring out the cultural nuance, and it pays off here I think.

Finished
Vega and Altair
ending.

comics_DZHEKI-CHAN_big_1342993571.jpg

Goddamn I love this series.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Received the first ending yesterday (the worst one). Love it how skipping a call changes the whole narrative.
I'm liking how darker it is than S;G, and seems quite fitting in a sense that is about trauma and the moving on.

Received the first ending yesterday (the worst one). Love it how skipping a call changes the whole narrative.
I'm liking how darker it is than S;G, and seems quite fitting in a sense that is about trauma and the moving on.

It's a lot better than answering with the right message in S;G for the true ending on the phone. It didn't help you couldn't back out of sending a message once you click on the selected word.

Yeah, I liked the darker tone since it got more interesting in the beginning of the game than in S;G. S;G took longer to get going than this did in my opinion. Both have their darker moments and both have their moments of levity and lightheartedness. I think both do a good job at balancing this tightrope, even if S;G has more moments of not being serious, but it's understandable considering what S;G 0 is about:
Okabe failing to save Kurisu

antibolo

Banned
It didn't help you couldn't back out of sending a message once you click on the selected word.

Ugh that was the worst thing about the first game. The game would've been so much better if you could preview what Okabe would write up based on those vague hyperlinks.

Ugh that was the worst thing about the first game. The game would've been so much better if you could preview what Okabe would write up based on those vague hyperlinks.

Yeah, or at least be able to back out and debate on what choice to make based on what he texts. I understand the logic behind sending the texts like that to show consequences people have when they just randomly text/tweet/whatever, but it hurts the player more since the player doesn't know what Okabe will text until they pick an option and can't back out. It's more harsh than it needs to be. Glad they fixed this in 0.

I still don't get that. I thought it might just have been me thinking it was Yuri and not Kagari.

Having finished the game, here is what I was thinking personally.
Kagari is Yuki in one world line (Vega) is so she could be close to Suzuha and Mayuri and get information out of them and stop them from going back via Leskinen's brainwashing. After all, Stragetic Focus is a FBI/Information Gathering Company so it would be easy for Kagari and Leskinen to get information on Yuki for her to act like her. Plus, Kagari already knows Yuki is Suzuha's mother because she's from the future. She says that the real Yuki Amane won't appear for a year in that world line when she is seeing Okabe on the roof as she is dying. That explains how Yuki knows the song, because she's Kagari. She isn't working with Leskinen in the other world line, because of memory loss (Rinascimento).

I just finished
Stray Sheep
and a little bit of the next section last night. In regards to
Kagari
, isn't all that happens that Okabe just finds her in time in the
Stray Sheep
timeline and didn't in the
X-Day Protocol
timeline? So in
Stray Sheep
she has memory loss and he's helping her and in
X-Day did the Professor find her (again?) and make her undergo plastic surgery to look like Yuki
?

Finished
Vega and Altair
ending.

http://whisttw.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/comics_DZHEKI-CHAN_big_1342993571.jpg[img]

Goddamn I love this series.[/QUOTE]

Yeah

I was kind of ehhh on this game after the first 3 endings I got, but that one in particular made me feel bad for ever doubting it.

I just finished
Stray Sheep
and a little bit of the next section last night. In regards to
Kagari
, isn't all that happens that Okabe just finds her in time in the
Stray Sheep
timeline and didn't in the
X-Day Protocol
timeline? So in
Stray Sheep
she has memory loss and he's helping her and in
X-Day did the Professor find her (again?) and make her undergo plastic surgery to look like Yuki
?
It's more appropriate to say that she found the Professor (again) in X-Day route. In Stray Sheep, she didn't.

Top Bottom